Print Thread
Old Archery Bible by Fred Bear #9022323 03/20/24 07:36 PM
A
Alpine Hunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
My sis was going through some boxes. She found my old Fred Bear Archery Bible from 1968. I purchased it at a school book fare. Heading on a business trip tomorrow, it will provide me with some good reading on the plane.

[Linked Image]

Re: Old Archery Bible by Fred Bear [Re: Alpine Hunter] #9022341 03/20/24 08:17 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Good old Fred Bear.

Those old guys pretty much had to learn everything by trial and error. The entire traditional archery world owes them a huge debt.

Little known fact: Fred Bear was a user and proponent of poison pods. Felt it was more ethical to use them, but would result in just about any hit outside of hoof or horn being lethal.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Old Archery Bible by Fred Bear [Re: txtrophy85] #9022346 03/20/24 08:27 PM
A
Alpine Hunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Good old Fred Bear.

Those old guys pretty much had to learn everything by trial and error. The entire traditional archery world owes them a huge debt.

Little known fact: Fred Bear was a user and proponent of poison pods. Felt it was more ethical to use them, but would result in just about any hit outside of hoof or horn being lethal.

You're correct on that. I'm sure many of their principles still apply today. I had no idea about the poison part. I learned something new.

Re: Old Archery Bible by Fred Bear [Re: txtrophy85] #9022383 03/20/24 09:12 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Good old Fred Bear.

those were legal for years in Mississippi, might still be. They work, I know one deer that was shot low but caught the leg muscle below the chest killed the deer within 100 yards. The drug used is also used on people for some things to relax internal muscles, or that was the drug used in the 80s. I had some back then and pods to use it but never got a shot at a deer I wanted to shoot when hunting with it.

We as archers today we owe a lot to those men and not just the Trad archery group, some like Fred bear were supporters of the compound though he never switched from the Traditional archery. Part of their goal was to grow the sport. A lot of the Fred Bear video collection was put on Youtube.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Old Archery Bible by Fred Bear [Re: Alpine Hunter] #9022411 03/20/24 10:06 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I see Fred Bear and immediately crank this to volume 11 in my head.....

Thank you, Motor City Madman.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Old Archery Bible by Fred Bear [Re: kmon11] #9022414 03/20/24 10:09 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by kmon11
Good old Fred Bear.

those were legal for years in Mississippi, might still be. They work, I know one deer that was shot low but caught the leg muscle below the chest killed the deer within 100 yards. The drug used is also used on people for some things to relax internal muscles, or that was the drug used in the 80s. I had some back then and pods to use it but never got a shot at a deer I wanted to shoot when hunting with it.

We as archers today we owe a lot to those men and not just the Trad archery group, some like Fred bear were supporters of the compound though he never switched from the Traditional archery. Part of their goal was to grow the sport. A lot of the Fred Bear video collection was put on Youtube.

Mississippi it is still legal to use pods, Its legal to possess the drug but not legal to buy or sell it.....they have to go to another state to purchase it and then can cross back in.

I have friends who hunt with pods in MS....its def. effective. On the one hand, it will result in a marginally hit deer dying very quickly, on the other, it allows a hunter to take a marginal shot with lethality. I watched a video of Fred Bear in Africa and although it was not specified that he was using pods, Its obvious, he shot a Waterbuck in the ham and they found it dead about 60 yards from the initial spot. Lots of controversy surrounding the use of pods back then.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Old Archery Bible by Fred Bear [Re: Alpine Hunter] #9022418 03/20/24 10:12 PM
A
Alpine Hunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Can someone post a picture of these pods?

Re: Old Archery Bible by Fred Bear [Re: Alpine Hunter] #9022435 03/20/24 11:00 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by Alpine Hunter
Can someone post a picture of these pods?

The ones pictured in the link are what I had in the 80s. https://www.bowhunting.com/article/why-are-poison-tipped-arrows-still-legal-in-this-state/

The trick in Mississippi the medication that was used in them you could not get without a prescription back then so you could buy pods at archery shops but not the drug to go inside. That required a trip to Alabama back then or the little i had came from a friend that gave me some after his trip there.

In the mid 80s the question came up about dangers using them. That cam up when a man was killed by a pod tipped arrow while hunting, the thing is did the poison on the arrow kill him or the broadhead tipped arrow that went through his heart do it.

I haven't had one or hunted with one since 1984 in Mississippi.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Old Archery Bible by Fred Bear [Re: Alpine Hunter] #9022624 03/21/24 11:28 AM
A
Alpine Hunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Unreal, out of all my years of bow hunting I had no idea!

Re: Old Archery Bible by Fred Bear [Re: Alpine Hunter] #9025825 03/28/24 12:14 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
They kinda makes sense. I’m thinking of the deer I’ve shot with a rifle that I’ve never found.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide