Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9021515 03/19/24 02:26 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Judd

Shocked JG said R700...damn near every custom action we have was built off that design, both footprint and function.

After reading the replies I'll add...any bolt action rifle that has double ejectors...dumb idea.

JG2.0 is a tikka action man!!!! and He just doesnt like curves he likes them with 20 degree angle flat assess

if my fierce didnt shoot as well as it did, I sell it and build a 22” rifle, But ya the dual ejector is special

The custom actions with a Rem 700 footprint are great! Easy to get stocks and bottom metal for.

I'm talking about the bone stock Rem 700 action, and barreled action. Judd of all people knows what it takes to un-duck Remington. He and I have neither one messed with throwing their extractor over our shoulder and making it take a hinged M-16 style extractor. As well as take a side bolt release, instead of that stupid Remington bolt release.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9021518 03/19/24 02:29 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat

OK, I'll bite

In general...

Bullpups
Anything 300 Blackout for supersonic use
6.5 Creedmoor for hunting
Piston operated ARs
Anything .357 Sig or .40 S&W

In particular...

Taurus Judge

You must not do much long range shooting.

Of course I’m kidding.

I'm living rent free in your head, troll.

Hard to forget the all time dumbest post you’ve ever made.

Mr.Wilson did not make any sense in his post. I called. That's all. You do not need to defend him. He's a grown man.

Have you regurgitated that same old one time pic of three shots, from your rifle on factory loads today? It's nearly a daily consistent vomit. Just wondering if it got posted somewhere today. It's what a three year old pic? You bought the rifle. You bought the ammo. You happened to get lucky once.

Move along.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9021524 03/19/24 02:32 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
@beez, I didn’t call out WC?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9021527 03/19/24 02:39 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
popcorn I'm learning so much here. roflmao

Bobby Barnett

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9021529 03/19/24 02:40 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
My mom could beat up your mom

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #9021531 03/19/24 02:43 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
My mom could beat up your mom

Well I watched my mom get mad and trip a 6 weight steer with three coils still in her hand.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: patriot07] #9021540 03/19/24 02:53 AM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by patriot07
Originally Posted by blkt2
1911. Great gun but a 45acp isn't Mjölnir and at the end of the day it is still weaker than almost every centerfire rifle cartridge.

When I don't have a judge with me on the land, my carry is a Colt 1911. Comparing pistols to centerfire rifle power is apples and oranges. I can't carry a 243 on my hip....nor would I want to, to be honest.

I didn't say that they were not good. I was saying that they are overrated. I have carried them and love them but I am aware of their limitations.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9021548 03/19/24 03:03 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
@jg The daily constant vomit is your 41,000 posts where you constantly hijack posts to advertise your little side gig. Having a laugh at your ridiculous comment about Bill Wilson not doing much long range shooting isn't defending him at all. It was a joke between he and I. The fact that you immediately recognized it as your previous dumb comment tells me something, you knew it was a stupid thing to post. If you can't take a joke, maybe you shouldn't set yourself up so easily by being over eager to make yourself look like something you're not.

Lucky, you're wrong about that as well. I've shot like that 100's of times. Mostly on game in the field under very difficult conditions. You don't have a clue about what I've done. I do like that pic, and mostly post it to make the point that people don't have to buy what you're selling. You never mention how many times more expensive your ammo is over factory, but a couple of people have told me and if they were not people I liked I would have laughed out loud. Who lives in who's head? You comment on my post, call me a name (again) and say I live in your head.

Move along.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: blkt2] #9021569 03/19/24 04:24 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
1911. Great gun but a 45acp isn't Mjölnir and at the end of the day it is still weaker than almost every centerfire rifle cartridge.

When I don't have a judge with me on the land, my carry is a Colt 1911. Comparing pistols to centerfire rifle power is apples and oranges. I can't carry a 243 on my hip....nor would I want to, to be honest.

I didn't say that they were not good. I was saying that they are overrated. I have carried them and love them but I am aware of their limitations.

Main limitation I'm aware of is it's a service size pistol with 7-8 rounds.

Hardly worth "most overrated gun" status for that, I'd think. What other facets do you consider limitations to bring it into the "most over rated gun" discussion?

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Wilson Combat] #9021571 03/19/24 04:36 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P

OK, I'll bite

In general...

Bullpups
Piston operated ARs

In particular...

Taurus Judge

Well, I have to ask, what don't you like about the Judge? Surprised to see so many mentions of taurus on a "most overrated" thread. To be overrated, you have to be generally very highly rated and I'm not sure Taurus fits that bill in the true gun enthusiast community.

I'll say it again - IMHO, Judge is absolutely the best tractor or side by side gun out there for disposing of snakes, rats, and other critters in a compact but powerful package that can fit in a glove box or tool box. It can run both 410 and 45LC if you have a need for more than shells. It has a nice trigger and holds up well to a little bit of weather. And Taurus has been making excellent revolvers for 30+ years. My model 85 is a late 80s gun that has never missed a beat through many thousands of rounds. Definitely surprising.

I also don't see anyone rating 300BO highly for supersonic use. Don't see how 6.5cm is overrated for hunting as it's probably disposing of more animals in texas per year than any other caliber if I had to guess. But to each their own on that one.

I do agree with 40S&W. My nightstand gun is one and if I had to do it over again, I'd have just gone 9mm. Nothing wrong with 40, but it's like the recoil of a 45 with the stopping power of a 9. Kind of turned into a worst of both worlds round IMHO.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9021572 03/19/24 04:37 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Would yall please stop quoting onlyS&W - I have him on iggy so I don't have to expose myself to that level of stupid.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9021583 03/19/24 09:57 AM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Everybody or anybody that shoots a 410 of any kind….because if you sell them, get rid of them, or quit buying them and hoarding up shells, it may free up more shells for me to use on doves! Ever tossed up cans and blasted them with a Tarus, I don’t own one, but it was a heck of a lotta fun. Some guns are fun/just neat guns, I say own as many you can and if you really, really can’t stand it, I’ll be glad to take it off your hands for a donation or pennies on the dollar. (As it’s a worthless piece of trash to you and of no value) especially liking 45’s, 1100’s, levers, 700’s, Weatherbys, etc.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: blkt2] #9021599 03/19/24 11:31 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Put down the pipe or the keyboard.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9021610 03/19/24 12:07 PM
Wilson Combat Online Content
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister

OK, I'll bite

In general...

Bullpups
Piston operated ARs

In particular...

Taurus Judge

You must not do much long range shooting.

Of course I’m kidding.

I love my 6.5 Creedmoor on our 1200yd range shooting steel smirk

Hand loads or factory?

My rifles shoot the 50ct Hornady BTSP really good so I don't load for it much

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Wilson Combat] #9021611 03/19/24 12:09 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K

OK, I'll bite

Piston operated ARs

Just curious, why? Would it be all piston operated ARs because there is something inherently flawed in the design OR they just over rated to you?
Note I don't own but have heard how wonderful they can be. So the rhetoric goes that it's an AR with AK reliability. I've always been a bit dubious of the claim, but again no actual evidence.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: patriot07] #9021614 03/19/24 12:18 PM
Wilson Combat Online Content
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister

OK, I'll bite

In general...

Bullpups
Piston operated ARs

In particular...

Taurus Judge

Well, I have to ask, what don't you like about the Judge? Surprised to see so many mentions of taurus on a "most overrated" thread. To be overrated, you have to be generally very highly rated and I'm not sure Taurus fits that bill in the true gun enthusiast community.

I'll say it again - IMHO, Judge is absolutely the best tractor or side by side gun out there for disposing of snakes, rats, and other critters in a compact but powerful package that can fit in a glove box or tool box. It can run both 410 and 45LC if you have a need for more than shells. It has a nice trigger and holds up well to a little bit of weather. And Taurus has been making excellent revolvers for 30+ years. My model 85 is a late 80s gun that has never missed a beat through many thousands of rounds. Definitely surprising.

I also don't see anyone rating 300BO highly for supersonic use. Don't see how 6.5cm is overrated for hunting as it's probably disposing of more animals in texas per year than any other caliber if I had to guess. But to each their own on that one.

I do agree with 40S&W. My nightstand gun is one and if I had to do it over again, I'd have just gone 9mm. Nothing wrong with 40, but it's like the recoil of a 45 with the stopping power of a 9. Kind of turned into a worst of both worlds round IMHO.

My Judge (OK I was dumb enough to buy one) won't shoot a good enough pattern to kill a snake past 5yds, at that distance I can just shoot the head off the snake with my carry gun. I carry a 18" H&R single shot 20ga in the mule just for snakes and it will really mess one up at a very safe 50ft

I've been fortunate to hunt with a lot of guides, outfitters and professional hunters and when the subject of guns and calibers comes up (it always does) the tell me the same thing. That they cringe when a hunter shows up with a 6.5CM because they know they will be looking for wounded game. Also my friends that bought into the 6.5 craze tell me they lost game with the 6.5 that they know would have been recovered if it had been shot with a .308. Don't get me wrong, I like the 6.5CM for a range gun and IF the proper bullets (Nosler Partition as an example) were selected for hunting there is no reason it shouldn't kill well. But it seems most hunters pick their 6.5 bullets based on BC even thought they shoot deer at under 200yds.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: GasGuzzler] #9021625 03/19/24 12:52 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

Put down the pipe or the keyboard.

I don't smoke and if I did I certainly wouldn't be doing it in the house.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Korean Redneck] #9021635 03/19/24 01:19 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck

OK, I'll bite

Piston operated ARs

Just curious, why? Would it be all piston operated ARs because there is something inherently flawed in the design OR they just over rated to you?
Note I don't own but have heard how wonderful they can be. So the rhetoric goes that it's an AR with AK reliability. I've always been a bit dubious of the claim, but again no actual evidence.

Obviously not Mr. Wilson. About the only advantage I see with a piston is suppressor use. Personally think DI is just as reliable shooting non suppressed. Pistons add weight as well. The piston phase was big 10 years ago.

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Wilson Combat] #9021645 03/19/24 01:32 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
BC does seem to matter to a few on the forum, but if someone is picking a hunting bullet based on BC, they should rethink that. As for the 6.5 CM, regrettably, I think it gets chosen by a lot of newby hunters because they’ve heard how wonderful it is. Both of my younger brothers called me to ask if they should buy a 6.5CM. They had heard how great it is. Neither one hunts much, if ever, these days. That leads me to believe that there are a lot of rifles in that caliber that are in the hands of unskilled hunters. If I was still hosting hunts, and if I saw a guy in new hunting clothes and carrying a 6.5 CM, I might quiz him about his hunting experiences. But if a guy showed up in scuffed boots, a beat up gimme cap, jeans, and a well used 25-06, I’d put him in the passenger seat of my jeep, old number 6.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9021661 03/19/24 02:06 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Anything Glock popcorn

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9021701 03/19/24 03:10 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Buncha BS being slung here. Kinda reminds me of the armorers in all the different services getting together at military inter service shooting matches in the late 1960’s. I was shooting for the USAF. Those crusty old NCO’s only agreed on 3 things.

1. The M16 was a jamomatic that got a lot of soldiers killed.
2. Any 2xx caliber was too light to be consider a war weapon. The only thing it was good for was wounding Charlie and it took 2 men to haul off the wounded.
3. They didn’t make men like they used to.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Wilson Combat] #9021709 03/19/24 03:23 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

OK, I'll bite

In general...

Bullpups
Piston operated ARs

In particular...

Taurus Judge

My Judge (OK I was dumb enough to buy one) won't shoot a good enough pattern to kill a snake past 5yds, at that distance I can just shoot the head off the snake with my carry gun. I carry a 18" H&R single shot 20ga in the mule just for snakes and it will really mess one up at a very safe 50ft

I've been fortunate to hunt with a lot of guides, outfitters and professional hunters and when the subject of guns and calibers comes up (it always does) the tell me the same thing. That they cringe when a hunter shows up with a 6.5CM because they know they will be looking for wounded game. Also my friends that bought into the 6.5 craze tell me they lost game with the 6.5 that they know would have been recovered if it had been shot with a .308. Don't get me wrong, I like the 6.5CM for a range gun and IF the proper bullets (Nosler Partition as an example) were selected for hunting there is no reason it shouldn't kill well. But it seems most hunters pick their 6.5 bullets based on BC even thought they shoot deer at under 200yds.

Many will disagree with your comments on the 6.5. Personally, I feel just like you and you laid it out well. Ill admit to zero first hand experience, so theres that.....

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Wilson Combat] #9021718 03/19/24 03:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

OK, I'll bite

In general...

Bullpups
Piston operated ARs

In particular...

Taurus Judge

weird., they would of recovered the game if they had 308…. why? Partition vs what?

When I get a caliber I tend to play with an array of bullets and take numerous deer culling for performance examples. zero need for a partition in a 6.5 CM. Doesnt have the extreme velocity to support it. I first had a rifle rechamber in 6.5 CM for my wife by Horizon back in 12. First thing I did was buy a bunch of different ammo from Copper Creek and Dallas Reloads(amax, sst, partition, interbond, VLD, ABLR, Scenar, eldx) and go cull deer and hogs. Since then Ive have or have loaned it out to kill bears, aoudad, elk, mulie deer, a pile of WT’s axis and hogs. Its never lost an animal regardless of shooter and higher BC bullets. Its killed easily over a 100. Only bullet I would steer away from is monolithic, due to slower velocities of CM.

Its it my favorite caliber no, but its more the adequate for <400 yards for most shooters.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: unclebubba] #9021721 03/19/24 03:35 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I knew Bobo would eventually chime in. Its hard to argue against his testing methods and logic.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Most Over Rated firearm [Re: Wilson Combat] #9021724 03/19/24 03:41 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I like the 6.5CM for a range gun and IF the proper bullets (Nosler Partition as an example) were selected for hunting there is no reason it shouldn't kill well. But it seems most hunters pick their 6.5 bullets based on BC even thought they shoot deer at under 200yds.

^^^ This!! I discuss this multiple times a week. Shooters will call me wanting to load a heavy, high BC bullet for hunting inside of 200 yards. WHY!!!??? BC does NOT matter inside of about 300 yards!!! Select a hunting bullet instead. Drop down in bullet weight to pick up some velocity to provide better bullet expansion. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that a 143 ELD-X didn't expand on factory ammo and ice picked through an animal.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide