Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,371
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: When Not Hunting - What Do you do to stay Entertained [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9020816 03/18/24 12:21 AM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
lol

I drink , listen to music, and cook. No TV and no silence

Re: When Not Hunting - What Do you do to stay Entertained [Re: DQ Kid] #9020951 03/18/24 12:20 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
I live on a small farm that's been in the family since 1829....what's this spare time you speak of?

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: When Not Hunting - What Do you do to stay Entertained [Re: DQ Kid] #9021047 03/18/24 03:35 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
There's never a shortage of work needing to be done on our place. So I just work. I get spotty tv reception at our place, but decent cell signal with a hotspot and a good collection of dvd's to watch keeps me entertained between dark and bedtime. Overall, vey little idle time to be bored.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: When Not Hunting - What Do you do to stay Entertained [Re: DQ Kid] #9022137 03/20/24 01:28 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
There is always something that "needs" to be done on the property and always something that I "want" to be done.
Don't have any problem finding something entertaining to do at the property.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: When Not Hunting - What Do you do to stay Entertained [Re: DQ Kid] #9022148 03/20/24 02:00 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
So at 7:30pm, after dinner and before you put in bed, what are you all doing? Spot lighting for varmints, calling for varmints, setting snares, plowing fields, corning roads, etc.etc.? And is this an every night thing while in hunting season? I totally get, "there's a lot to do, Yada, Yada but only so much sun in the day for all that fun you all are having"...

Re: When Not Hunting - What Do you do to stay Entertained [Re: DQ Kid] #9022152 03/20/24 02:10 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
So at 7:30pm, after dinner and before you put in bed, what are you all doing? Spot lighting for varmints, calling for varmints, setting snares, plowing fields, corning roads, etc.etc.? And is this an every night thing while in hunting season? I totally get, "there's a lot to do, Yada, Yada but only so much sun in the day for all that fun you all are having"...

I try for no nighttime movement in the hunting area during deer season. Campfire and/or tv at camp.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: When Not Hunting - What Do you do to stay Entertained [Re: DQ Kid] #9022240 03/20/24 04:23 PM
D
duffas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Helped ( just a little) put up this grow hut.
[Linked Image]

Re: When Not Hunting - What Do you do to stay Entertained [Re: DQ Kid] #9022241 03/20/24 04:27 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by DQ Kid

Ok, DQ, Ill play along since you got specific with the 730. Ive avoided the thread since I have learned I do things very different than most anyone Im aware of. I dont think I can effectively explain why that is so Im setting myself up to either be misunderstood or ridiculed. By the time I get through no one will still be reading so Ill be safe.

First of all, I hunt from daylight to dark so that eliminates any worry about how I am entertained during daylight. End of discussion on my daytime entertainment except that if I dont hunt all day its because someone in camp needs or wants me or there is a pressing project.

**What no one seems to ever understand is that when you hunt all day long you are forced to cram in at night all the things that most people do during midday.**
At end of hunt its dark about 600 and with all my gear in a tall stand it takes awhile to get organized and get down. Then theres a good walk to the truck so 630 at earliest to start to camp. I hunt big places and nothing is paved so its maybe 7 to get to camp. From time to time I may have somewhere to swing by on the way back so could be delayed. Once I get to camp house Im not going inside till Im done outside so maybe I have to get corn in the road feeder or grab a tpost or a 2x4 or some oddball item I may need next day, or put gas in truck.
I get all my gear(alot) and go inside and get it set down by 7/730. I wont even start stripping out of all my clothes until Ive started charging batteries. Big cam batt along with remote batt chargers and possibly 18V, 12V, 6V or flashlight. Finally Ill strip into kickback clothes and prepare to cook/eat. Hopefully its before 8ish but with anyone in camp to visit with its probably later.
Maybe if Im lucky I will start eating about 830 and I eat real slow(my only real entertainment time) and will look at phone/forum at that time if no one is there to talk with. Maybe 930 Im ready to start prepping for the next day. Once again, its key to understand I hunt all day so I have to make lunch and lay out/prep all my gear/clothes etc to last two meals and all weather changes during day. Even though I say I "hunt" all day, and usually do, I may do a project during midday so I have to have all supplies for that ready to go the night before. On a big place its a deal killer to have to run back to camp for a tool etc.
At some point in there I have to insure my daily survey sheet is complete and I transfer that and other info into my hunting diary. Theres also head scratching time to decide where to hunt and check the weather to know how to dress. Im very detail oriented so these small things take me longer to do than other folks and I enjoy the tedious nature of things I do that I think might make a difference in hunting.
Hopefully by 10 or so Im headed to the shower and then bed. No matter how tired I am I will read in bed for a bit. If Im asleep by 1030 Im very lucky and I consider it an early night. Ideally I would prefer to be dead asleep by 9ish so basically I have about a negative 1.5 hours worth of "down time" to worry about. All this is assuming I find some time during the day to look at cell cam pics but I often dont find that time.

Before anyone asks, Ill answer and say that "NO" I am not having "FUN". I "enjoy" how I operate but would not call it fun. Its more of a challenge.
DQ, I guess the short answer for you would of been to say I have NO down time.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: When Not Hunting - What Do you do to stay Entertained [Re: DQ Kid] #9022258 03/20/24 04:52 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Free, you're a beast, not sure where you find the energy at but that's awesome that you do. Was great getting to meet you recently at Hutchins BBQ during our THF lunch get together....You do go at it hard and steadfast....Not a bad thing, just your thing!

Re: When Not Hunting - What Do you do to stay Entertained [Re: DQ Kid] #9022291 03/20/24 06:14 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
When Hunting season is over, I've still got plenty to do at the Ranch. In addition to that, I do a little fishing with my son, occasionally enter a rifle match (with my son) and or archery match (with my son), and try to spend some time with my wife and girls doing whatever makes them happy.

Re: When Not Hunting - What Do you do to stay Entertained [Re: DQ Kid] #9022822 03/21/24 06:26 PM
Plunks Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
We only stream at home for tv so when at the lease I use an apple pigtail and hdmi line to connect iPhone to small smart tv and with two bars on phone it works 90% of time and get all fubo channels….which satisfies my football and baseball addiction.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide