B
no problem! i hope the explanation helped

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: BePrepared] #901967 09/13/09 07:42 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Yes, although you're not an M.D., I doubt one could have stated it any better.

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: postoak] #902030 09/13/09 08:14 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
....he must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express! clap

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: JJH] #902064 09/13/09 08:34 PM
D
deershepard Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
uh, pretty sure they dont make a hollow point for deep penetration. so, yes in most instances a hollow point is for rapid expansion, a soft nose is for less rapid expansion, and a full metal jacket is for no expansion.

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: deershepard] #902614 09/14/09 01:22 AM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
BarnesX....

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: Longhunter] #902681 09/14/09 01:47 AM
T
tx270 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Barnes X, TSX are hollow points. Nothing short of a solid will penetrate deeper.

Sierra Gameking (NOT MATCHKING)boat tail hollow points actually have a thicker, tougher jacket than regular spitzer soft points made by Sierra, even Sierra themselves will tell you this. The 165 Sierra BTHP Gameking now is one of my favorite bullets in 30 caliber.

But yes deershepard, most of the time hollow points are made for rapid expansion, with a few exceptions.

Nosler ballistic tips are nothing more than a hollow point with a little plastic tip inserted.

Last edited by tx270; 09/14/09 01:49 AM.
Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: tx270] #902998 09/14/09 03:28 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: tx270
Barnes X, TSX are hollow points. Nothing short of a solid will penetrate deeper.

Sierra Gameking (NOT MATCHKING)boat tail hollow points actually have a thicker, tougher jacket than regular spitzer soft points made by Sierra, even Sierra themselves will tell you this. The 165 Sierra BTHP Gameking now is one of my favorite bullets in 30 caliber.

But yes deershepard, most of the time hollow points are made for rapid expansion, with a few exceptions.

Nosler ballistic tips are nothing more than a hollow point with a little plastic tip inserted.

Calling TSX a hollow point is really stretching the definition. By what you said the new TTSX is the same as a Nosler BT...humm not so much. As far as the Gameking it does have a thicker wall then the Matchking, but there is virtually no different in the GK and Nolser BT in the same caliber. I would not use a TSX for a neck shot, but would a BT or GK all day long. But then again i wounld't use a BT or GK on a body shot either(under 25 cal).

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: BOBO the Clown] #903013 09/14/09 03:32 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
dang your picky.... accubonds?

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: rifleman] #903030 09/14/09 03:38 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rifleman
dang your picky.... accubonds?

You should meet my wife bang she made me this way.

No I wouldn't use accubonds for neck shot either.

The reason I like smaller caliber and BT/GK for neck shots is you trying to destroy soft tissue... If you hit the spine great but your really destroying all the soft tissue and nerves and blood vains with hydrostatic shock. Really how thick is a deer's neck... Not very. You don't want to punch though it you want your bullet to use/esert all its energy with out leaving. You don't want it just passing though.. Make sense? al least from my expereince

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: BOBO the Clown] #903057 09/14/09 03:51 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
lol, I sabe.

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: rifleman] #903067 09/14/09 03:54 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
lol, I sabe.

Well ok then banana

tomorrows monday that SUXS

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: BOBO the Clown] #903093 09/14/09 04:03 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
got that right..BUT... one less monday to deal with before I can go shoot something, or skin and cape out what someone else has shot.

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: rifleman] #903128 09/14/09 04:25 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
got that right..BUT... one less monday to deal with before I can go shoot something, or skin and cape out what someone else has shot.

Now you sound like me... Just don't shot your girls deer this year... She might leave you at the alter.

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: BOBO the Clown] #903146 09/14/09 04:32 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
she's already threatened me, but since it'll be on the beach (Cayman Islands) she still feels like regardless she'll get to have a good vacation out of the deal.

<lol, just so this is topic related...... she shot a buck with her new 257wby last year (100gr tsx) at 150yds in the neck.... didn't touch the slightest bit of bone, but the exit on that deer was worse than any I'de shot with the 180gr ballistic silv.tips out of the 300wm.>

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: rifleman] #903338 09/14/09 12:20 PM
R
RonKaye Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
"the heart and lungs can go on working without imput from the brain"

Almost as long as a vacuum cleaner can go on working when the plug is pulled. Sever the neural pathway to the heart, and you remove the impulses that cause it to beat. The result is that it stops immediately. Same applies to all muscular activity "downstream" of the wound.

That said, the instantaneous "kill zone," where the spinal cord is actually severed, is about 1-1/2" wide. If one is absolutely certain of their skill, their rifle, and all other conditions, this can be a practical shot. However, I've learned that (at least in my own case) whenever I'm absolutely certain of all those factors, I'm usually pumping sunshine up my own butt. And while I have taken neck shots in the past - and probably will again - they aren't my first choice. Others' mileage may vary, and I'm not passing judgment on anybody else's technique... that's just the way I choose to hunt.

By the same token, I have (in my youth) taken deer with a .22lr when that was what I had with me and had grown tired of armadillo & squirrel. Even a .22, in the eye or the ear at fairly close range will pull the plug and leave them DRT, but nobody in their right mind would claim that it's the optimum tool for the job.

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: BePrepared] #903372 09/14/09 12:47 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Quote:
I'm not an experienced deer hunter (let that be said first) but i have ALWAYS been irritated by people saying that a deer can "jump the gun" or move in some way in reaction to the shot thereby changing the point of impact.

just FYI a 308 bullet travels an average speed of 2,700 fps, and MANY loads are faster. The speed of sound is exactly 1128 fps. What that translates to, is that the bullet impacts the deer in only 40% of the time it takes for the SOUND to get there... the deer is hit by the bullet before it can possibly hear the shot.

DEER DO NOT REACT TO THE SOUND OF A GUN SHOT BEFORE THE BULLET IMPACTS!

That being said, deer often move between the moment you begin to pull the trigger, and the moment that the bullet leaves the bore.

I did not realize this thing was still going...but to clarity...I never said a deer jumped the bullet or sound of such...it simply is not what I said...

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: BOBO the Clown] #903515 09/14/09 02:05 PM
T
tx270 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: jgiles

Calling TSX a hollow point is really stretching the definition. By what you said the new TTSX is the same as a Nosler BT...humm not so much. As far as the Gameking it does have a thicker wall then the Matchking, but there is virtually no different in the GK and Nolser BT in the same caliber. I would not use a TSX for a neck shot, but would a BT or GK all day long. But then again i wounld't use a BT or GK on a body shot either(under 25 cal).

I have to disagree just a little with the GK and BT comparison. In the GK regular soft point I agree completely. But in my experience the HPBT GK penetrate deeper than the regular soft point gameking. I also read an article where a Sierra tech says the HPBT Game King actually has a tougher jacket than the regular soft point GK.

Personally I wouldn't hesistate to bust an elk through the vitals with the 165 BTHP GK in my 300 WM. Would it be a dedicated elk bullet for me? No, but I wouldn't worry feel handicapped if that bullet was all I had at the time.

Bill

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: tx270] #903537 09/14/09 02:17 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: jgiles

I have to disagree just a little with the GK and BT comparison. In the GK regular soft point I agree completely. But in my experience the HPBT GK penetrate deeper than the regular soft point gameking. I also read an article where a Sierra tech says the HPBT Game King actually has a tougher jacket than the regular soft point GK.

Personally I wouldn't hesistate to bust an elk through the vitals with the 165 BTHP GK in my 300 WM. Would it be a dedicated elk bullet for me? No, but I wouldn't worry feel handicapped if that bullet was all I had at the time.

Bill

No issue with them in a 30 cal or bigger but don't like them in the anything smaller.

The Nolser Ballistic Tip's jacket get thicker as it moves up in caliber.

This well help Nolser sectionals

In smaller calibers it's more of a varmit bullet and larger more of a larger game bullet.

Last edited by jgiles; 09/14/09 02:17 PM.

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: BigTexHD] #903596 09/14/09 02:47 PM
T
TexasVine Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
BePrepared:

A controversial question at best. I would advise that anyone taking a neck shot be a great shooter. Smaller target requires a better shot. It really comes down to how well do you shoot your rifle under all conditions. Those that shoot their deer rifles year round know what their limitations are and usually can take skillful shots under most conditions. If you only shoot your gun at the range right before deer season, shoot at the larger kill zone.

Mike

TexasVine
[Linked Image]
Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: TexasVine] #905709 09/15/09 06:01 AM
P
Parks Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Wife took first deer last year with neck shot(i didn't want to gut deer with chest cavity full of blood). I think she shot the 243 wssm twice before that morning.

Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: twice70] #905969 09/15/09 02:12 PM
Bradbury Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A good shot to the vitals is always a better shot, but this is a long debated topic. I will shoot deer in the neck, mostly does and with a small grain bullet from my 22-250. Yet to lose one, always drop them. Keys to this, good rest, sighted in rifle, practice, squeeze trigger, controlled breathing, dead aim. Shot one beind the shoulders last year with a 30.06 and she ran about 80 yards and both lungs destroyed, shot another one same trip right under the front latch and DRT with a 22-250.

I like my little 22-250 and shoot tons of hogs with it in the head. I take it early in the season in S. Texas for the reason I am not going to shoot a buck then, I shoot hogs, coyotes and go ahead and take my does. Last year, we took three doe shot in the neck, cased them out and had the hides tanned, The look better that way then a hole on one side and a large hole on the other

For general practice, i would suggest vitals over neck unless you practice and are 100% comfortable with your rifle.

Looking to buy or sell Real Estate anywhere? Let me know, I can help. Just email me steven.bradbury@cbdfw.com
Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: Bradbury] #906744 09/15/09 06:30 PM
R
rstewlandman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
my thoughts exactly Bradbury, although i still will argue that both are humane and ethical, I was shooting a new rifle last year and I shot vitals, this year, as now i am more comfortable I will more than likely go back to what i like and that is the neck shot

the man at the top of the mountain didn't fall up it
Re: Neck Vs Lung/heart shots [Re: postoak] #910280 09/17/09 02:48 AM
S
Sabrinavonbach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Depends upon the level of the cut. If the vagus nerve is cut then breathing will cease. The heart will continue to beat at any level of cut as long as oxygen is provided to the body.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide