Forums46
Topics538,313
Posts9,735,681
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Practice shooting your EDC pistol one handed? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9015679 03/06/24 03:23 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
You should know how to shoot one handed and make sure that you don't limp wrist etc. while you should know how to use your weak hand , I would not over think it and spend a long time practicing weak hand. I would much rather spend my time getting faster or shooting strong hand with a flash light in the weak hand.

9 mm is plenty adequate for stopping threats

Re: Practice shooting your EDC pistol one handed? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9015699 03/06/24 03:50 PM
B
Big Sam Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
B
At least for me the actions of "practicing shooting with the weaker hand" was just pretending to practice. Even taking a couple offhand courses was not the magic. Before each course I only shot the weaker hand (left hand in my case) for 4-6 weeks. This is with a mirror image left hand holster That would be 100 rounds per session and 2 sessions a week. It was only then that the instructor could identify my strengths and weaknesses and help me improve.

Here are a few of the big things I learned with the Glock 17/19. Being VERY right eye dominant I had to close the right eye when point shooting. I also shot sights better with only the left eye open ... and that took a while to get everything to adjust. Eye dominance is a big deal. It turns out that I reload the Glock's surer and faster left handed. Even shooting strong hand (right) I often reload left handed. There are lots of big and little differences here and I was only able to learn them by shooting in this full immersion technique followed by good instruction.

When I was a kid I broke my right arm. After 3 months in a cast I could do most things just as well left handed. Same thing.

"Group think" is not thinking. It is the lack of independent thought. It is a cancer of the mind.
Re: Practice shooting your EDC pistol one handed? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9015816 03/06/24 08:20 PM
D
duffas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
'hit rate for the FBI agents was abysmal'
I was at old Remy range DFW yrs ago, Gov squad came in. Not very good shots! Aim, trigger pull and recoil is what needs practice, dry fire doesn't cut it. You probably need the second shot!

Re: Practice shooting your EDC pistol one handed? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9017085 03/09/24 01:18 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DustyArmadillo
Was reading a story about the Miami Massacre in 1986

Lot of FBI agents were wounded, two killed.

The author stressed the importance of training with one hand (both dominant and weak hand)

Story recounted how everyone ended up using their backup weapon as well as all spare ammo.

Needless to say, I was seriously reconsidering my own readiness.

Definitely need more trigger time, the hit rate for the FBI agents was abysmal.

Does anyone here carry a spare mag for their EDC? Do you have a secondary weapon in your car?

Do you even train, bro? What say ye?

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/fbi-miami-firefight-part1/486108

There was some cold hard lessons learned that day, having to shoot with your off hand being just one of them. That day was a major awakening for Law Enforcement and changed it for ever.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Practice shooting your EDC pistol one handed? [Re: BigPig] #9017248 03/09/24 07:00 PM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BigPig
You need to practice dominant and non-dominant one hand shooting. Furthermore, you need to practice drawing with non-dominant hand, reloading, and clearing malfunctions.

33% is typical hit rate of officer involved shootings. Bad guys don’t usually stand still, and LEO’s should be getting offf the X, factor in adrenaline and tunnel vision, and those guys shooting 90-100’s in qualifications are greatly reduced.

Getting off the X is critical. IMO, practicing your draw, with different types of clothing on is also way up there on the must practice list. When you are out and about you can practice finding places for cover or concealment, even if you are with family.. Practice getting the piece out while getting off of the X, even if it's only 5 or 10 feet helps too. JMO.

Re: Practice shooting your EDC pistol one handed? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9019004 03/13/24 10:56 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Yes, always run atleast a couple magazines 1 handed at the range. My non dominant had has a birth defect, I can’t reach the trigger with it, so hopefully I never lose function of my dominant hand.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Practice shooting your EDC pistol one handed? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9019041 03/14/24 01:11 AM
B
bluetopper Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I was taught to shoot handguns by an old top notch competition bullseye shooter. He would say, "If a handgun was meant to be shot with two hands it would have two handles on it",

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Re: Practice shooting your EDC pistol one handed? [Re: The Dude Abides] #9021482 03/19/24 01:37 AM
cheetah577 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Spare mag for EDC...yes.

Spare firearm...yes, rifle. pistol gets me back to my rifle.

Non-dominate hand shooting...yes but not as often as I probably should.

+1

God bless John Wayne!
Re: Practice shooting your EDC pistol one handed? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9021733 03/19/24 03:53 PM
Jrod88 Online Content
Light Foot
Online Content
Light Foot
I shot maybe 5-10% one handed, be it dominant or non.Wish I did more! I’m currently sitting on the couch in a sling dry firing a 642 with my “good” non-dominant hand and 2 things I notice, 1. not as steady as my right hand and 2. My hand fatigues quicker.

When you actually lose access your dominant hand/arm, you realize how dependent you are to it. Definitely a wake up call for me to train ambidextrously on essential tasks, not just shooting.

Re: Practice shooting your EDC pistol one handed? [Re: Jrod88] #9022699 03/21/24 02:36 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Jrod88
I shot maybe 5-10% one handed, be it dominant or non.Wish I did more! I’m currently sitting on the couch in a sling dry firing a 642 with my “good” non-dominant hand and 2 things I notice, 1. not as steady as my right hand and 2. My hand fatigues quicker.

When you actually lose access your dominant hand/arm, you realize how dependent you are to it. Definitely a wake up call for me to train ambidextrously on essential tasks, not just shooting.

Definitely good to train as much as your circumstance allows with your strong side (no support hand) and your 'weak' hand (unsupported).

I am fortunate to have my own private shooting range on my property, so I can run whatever 'drills' I feel like. But I routinely devote some practice time to 'weak hand' shooting and unsupported strong side shooting.

Most public shooting ranges don't allow for things like 'rapid fire', shooting on the move, from behind barricades/cover etc....

You can get some decent experience shooting IDPA (available to a lot of folks).....or take some dedicated self defense classes (not available everywhere).

On my own range....I can practice pistol defense on steel or cardboard targets, set them up however I like. Practice shooting on the move, advancing, retreating, from angles, from behind cover or concealment. From a vehicle, from disadvantaged positions.

Practice reloads and malfunction drills. Perform reloads from various positions and with simulated constraints. Add pressure by using time limits. Engage multiple targets, do transition drills etc...

My range is 100 yds. by 100 yds. (wide and long) and covered in gravel. So plenty of room to set up scenarios and take longer than normal shots.

Again, I am fortunate to be able to practice things that most folks are not. But that doesn't mean you can't train yourself at home (safely) to do things like draw and present your weapon with your weak hand (can your even reach it).

Perform a reload with only one hand (though reloads are seldom needed by non-LEO). Malfunction drills are IMPORTANT. I can't tell you the number of people 'novices' I've had on my range that when they experience a stoppage are just dead in the water (just stop and stare at the firearm). No clue how to clear it.

Lots of things can be practiced with an UNLOADED weapon (or using snap caps) in your own home. Enough to at least have you 'thinking' about what you might do in certain situations.

Last edited by flintknapper; 03/21/24 02:39 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide