Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cold Bore Groups #9018698 03/13/24 03:30 AM
S
scot Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
S
How much do you focus on cold bore accuracy?

Being a hunting forum the first then next 2 or so shots seem to be the of utmost importance. If you put a 1” circle at 100 yards can you hit it 3 times with a cold bore. I often get distracted by rifles that will make small groups but that’s almost always after some warming up, scope adjustment etc. is it possible to get the cold bore accuracy out of AR-15’s with so many moving parts. I’ve had Palmetto and DPMS rifles both dial in to 1/2” groups but the first shots could be 2” off.

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018701 03/13/24 03:57 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Something ain't right. I have a PSA that will put the 1st 3 shots in a 3/4" circle. I really don't notice any of my rifles throwing a cold bore shot as long as the barrel is fouled. Do you clean the barrel every time you shoot, or once every couple hundred rounds?

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018705 03/13/24 04:37 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I sight in with a good group. Let it get completely cold and shoot 1. I adjust if needed and let it get cold again. Shoot 1 to confirm and I’m done. If an animal needs more than one shot, things are going to be moving so much I don’t care about a tiny group. It’s not going to matter.

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018707 03/13/24 05:05 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
My CTR shoots the first one in the same spot as the 4th, 5th, 8th one.

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018708 03/13/24 05:32 AM
A
Alpine Hunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
I've spent a lot of time with Mike Rock of Rock Creek barrels before he retired. I learned a ton on barrel physics. There will always be a different point of aim/impact if you have thoroughly cleaned a barrel, removing all carbon and copper fouling. Depending on your barrel, it may take one or a half dozen or so shots for it to settle in. Cold bore shots are a fact of life after a thorough cleaning. In order for your barrel to shoot at it's optimum performance, it takes copper and carbon fouling to fill in the micro groves inside the barrel. Too much copper/carbon fouling and accuracy starts to suffer. If you're cleaning after every shot or every few shots, you'll be chasing your tail to really see how your rifle really shoots. Just shoot it and see how it shoots. After a thorough cleaning (which doesn't happen all that often) with my custom 6.5 CM, my cold bore shots will be left .5" and high .5". It's very predictable. Usually by the third shot or so I can shoot for group. It will shoot in the mid .3's as long as I do my part. It doesn't get cleaned very often. Usually after a couple few seasons, few hundred rounds or I get the itch to clean it. As soon as my accuracy get's in the .6's or .7's it's time for cleaning, then a few cold bore shots and it's ready to go. If I head to the range my rifle will shoot for group from the first shot.

Lots of great custom and factory barrels out there, each will always be different or how it performs. Sometimes the simplest things can make a rifle a real shooter or a real dud. Bullet type/weight and rifling twist rate can drive a person to drink. I've seen many rifles that hate a given bullet, yet shoots lights out with another bullet. A lot of times it's all about finding the right combinations to match your shooting needs/requirements. There's so much more and variables that go into this. Shoot a half dozen shots or so after cleaning. Try different bullet/ammo combinations to find one that performs. Not every rifle is a tack driver, not every shooter can shoot .5 groups.

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018713 03/13/24 07:58 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by scot
How much do you focus on cold bore accuracy?

Being a hunting forum the first then next 2 or so shots seem to be the of utmost importance. If you put a 1” circle at 100 yards can you hit it 3 times with a cold bore. I often get distracted by rifles that will make small groups but that’s almost always after some warming up, scope adjustment etc. is it possible to get the cold bore accuracy out of AR-15’s with so many moving parts. I’ve had Palmetto and DPMS rifles both dial in to 1/2” groups but the first shots could be 2” off.

It's all that matters to me. Here's a three shot group with the 1st from 100 followed by 2 shots from 200. A 7 year old CTR in .308 with a Leupold VX5-HD, CDS set up, the 200 yard shots were dialed. Hornady Factory ammo. This set up has always performed this way, just like my other two Tikka's.
[Linked Image]

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: Alpine Hunter] #9018790 03/13/24 02:02 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Alpine Hunter
I've spent a lot of time with Mike Rock of Rock Creek barrels before he retired. I learned a ton on barrel physics. There will always be a different point of aim/impact if you have thoroughly cleaned a barrel, removing all carbon and copper fouling. Depending on your barrel, it may take one or a half dozen or so shots for it to settle in. Cold bore shots are a fact of life after a thorough cleaning. In order for your barrel to shoot at it's optimum performance, it takes copper and carbon fouling to fill in the micro groves inside the barrel. Too much copper/carbon fouling and accuracy starts to suffer. If you're cleaning after every shot or every few shots, you'll be chasing your tail to really see how your rifle really shoots. Just shoot it and see how it shoots. After a thorough cleaning (which doesn't happen all that often) with my custom 6.5 CM, my cold bore shots will be left .5" and high .5". It's very predictable. Usually by the third shot or so I can shoot for group. It will shoot in the mid .3's as long as I do my part. It doesn't get cleaned very often. Usually after a couple few seasons, few hundred rounds or I get the itch to clean it. As soon as my accuracy get's in the .6's or .7's it's time for cleaning, then a few cold bore shots and it's ready to go. If I head to the range my rifle will shoot for group from the first shot.

Lots of great custom and factory barrels out there, each will always be different or how it performs. Sometimes the simplest things can make a rifle a real shooter or a real dud. Bullet type/weight and rifling twist rate can drive a person to drink. I've seen many rifles that hate a given bullet, yet shoots lights out with another bullet. A lot of times it's all about finding the right combinations to match your shooting needs/requirements. There's so much more and variables that go into this. Shoot a half dozen shots or so after cleaning. Try different bullet/ammo combinations to find one that performs. Not every rifle is a tack driver, not every shooter can shoot .5 groups.

Why would you clean it before taking a shot that matters? Always foul it after cleaning.

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018796 03/13/24 02:09 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If the rifles are squared away, with fouled barrels, the most common factor I have seen cause a cold bore shot shift is a suppressor. Shot two or three can shift away from number one.

On ARs, I can't explain it, but I have seen shot number one shift from the rest. You hit the bolt release and shoot, and it can shoot different from the following rounds.

Myself and a friend have both tested cold bore shot zero on suppressed rifles. And it has to be the first shot of the day. Even if it's a shot many hours later, it won't be the same as the first shot of the day. My daily carry rifle is a bolt action with suppressor. I check cold bore zero fairly frequently, probably once a month. Fire a shot, make note of where it landed, and then do it again the next day. If I've got consistency, I will zero the scope to the cold bore shot POI. I had another rifle that would drop shots two and three .4 Mil low. But it would do it every time. On the single animal shot, that's not a problem. If I've got to make more than one shot (multiple animals) that shift needs to be accounted for. Especially at home, I've got 500 yards line of sight from house and shop. That .4 Mil shift definitely begins to matter.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: Alpine Hunter] #9018802 03/13/24 02:19 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Alpine Hunter

It sounds as if you're stating that a cold bore shot is the first shot after cleaning and shooting through a barrel that has zero fouling. What you state is true, but not relevant to how the OP has posed the thread.

As it relates to hunting, the cold bore shot is all that matters, IMO. I have 1" dots that I shoot at every trip, all seasons. If I didn't hit it the first shot every time something would need attention.

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: J.G.] #9018803 03/13/24 02:19 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by patriot07

Yep, even with the suppressor they go in the same spot.

Originally Posted by J.G.
If the rifles are squared away, with fouled barrels, the most common factor I have seen cause a cold bore shot shift is a suppressor. Shot two or three can shift away from number one.

On ARs, I can't explain it, but I have seen shot number one shift from the rest. You hit the bolt release and shoot, and it can shoot different from the following rounds.

Myself and a friend have both tested cold bore shot zero on suppressed rifles. And it has to be the first shot of the day. Even if it's a shot many hours later, it won't be the same as the first shot of the day. My daily carry rifle is a bolt action with suppressor. I check cold bore zero fairly frequently, probably once a month. Fire a shot, make note of where it landed, and then do it again the next day. If I've got consistency, I will zero the scope to the cold bore shot POI. I had another rifle that would drop shots two and three .4 Mil low. But it would do it every time. On the single animal shot, that's not a problem. If I've got to make more than one shot (multiple animals) that shift needs to be accounted for. Especially at home, I've got 500 yards line of sight from house and shop. That .4 Mil shift definitely begins to matter.

Both my RRA AR's will throw one shot in five; it's got to be the first shot. Is it the suppressor or something else? Don't know, but they still group just fine.

6.8 throws one high:

[Linked Image]

.223 Wylde throws low:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018812 03/13/24 02:33 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
My RRA varmint rig will 100% throw the first shot about an inch high left, even from a warm barrel. And about 50% of the time it will throw the last round from the mag a little high left. All the other rounds in the mag group bug hole size. I don't see it from any of my higher end bolt guns. Warm or cold, they shoot to the same POI.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9018837 03/13/24 03:23 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B

I see you still have AR cooties. roflmao cheers

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

Both my RRA AR's will throw one shot in five; it's got to be the first shot. Is it the suppressor or something else? Don't know, but they still group just fine.

6.8 throws one high:

[Linked Image]

.223 Wylde throws low:

[Linked Image]

QSYB, just interested to know if you are loading only 5 rounds when you shoot these groups? I can't say if I notice a difference in my first shot from an AR like JG experiences but I do seem to see some differences in the last shot of a mag. I think it was Chad that mentioned an empty mag doesn't push up on the bottom of the bolt the same way or with the same force a loaded mag which may partially explain this last shot phenomena. As a result, I load an extra round in the mag when I'm working up a load to shoot groups and just eject the last round and let the rifle cool before shooting my next group.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018838 03/13/24 03:24 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
From what I have read and seen with my own AR, a shot from one that was fed by putting in the mag and releasing the bolt will often have a different POI than the rest from that mag.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018842 03/13/24 03:35 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
@BigFitz, I think both those groups were with full mags. Next time I get a chance to shoot them at the range I'll do the test again and see if they're still throwing, and if so, which shot it is (1st or last).

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018843 03/13/24 03:36 PM
A
Alpine Hunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
At the end of the day, all rifles and barrels shoot differently. If you spend the time shooting your rifle, making notes and/or a having a log book, then you'll begin to understand the characteristics of your rifle. You'll know how many shots it will take if you do a thorough cleaning to settle in and shoot well. You'll know what your cold bore shots should be. I'll come back to this again, not every rifle is a .5" or better shooter. Not all shooters have the skills/training to shoot .5" or better groups. Places like JG's and others out there can teach shooters those skills. I'm sure he has plenty of stories where after a day of training. Shooters who couldn't shoot when they got there, started to get it after a few hundred rounds of good coaching. I've had folks shoot my 6.5 CM and barely shoot a 1.5" group. Learning your rifle is very important.

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: kmon11] #9018846 03/13/24 03:41 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by kmon11
From what I have read and seen with my own AR, a shot from one that was fed by putting in the mag and releasing the bolt will often have a different POI than the rest from that mag.

I don't doubt that...guessing the dynamics are slightly different with a bolt released vs. a bolt cycling after fired. I guess I'll need to pay more attention to that first shot and see what I learn.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018862 03/13/24 04:13 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Last round in the magazine of an AR will impact low.

The bolt locks open and I believe it robs gas. Seen it many times. Spotting for someone, round splash low, they ask if they should dial up more. Nope, bolt locked open. Reload the rifle, keep the same scope correction. Next shot hits the steel.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9018866 03/13/24 04:15 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by patriot07

Yep, even with the suppressor they go in the same spot.

6.8 throws one high:

[Linked Image]

.223 Wylde throws low:

[Linked Image]

Watch for it. Slow down. Shoot one, make a note of where it landed, then shoot another one.

"Suppressor pop" is a theory. I think it has some merit. First shot through a suppressor having ambient air in it can change POI from the following shots, that have less oxidizer in the suppressor.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018875 03/13/24 04:51 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Agree with 1st round 'pop' being a thing.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: J.G.] #9018896 03/13/24 05:33 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I shoot a 22 with a silencer on it everyday and have found the fist round pop to be noticeable one day and not the next, No variables changed with the hardware. Just the day.

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: ntxtrapper] #9018899 03/13/24 05:35 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The weather changed.
The ammo isn't super consistent.
Several things can cause it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018903 03/13/24 05:48 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Pop = humidity

At least in my opinion.

With a rifle and no suppressor I think moisture in the barrel is a factor. Try a dry patch through your barrel before the next cold bore and see what happens. I don’t mean clean it. Dry patch only.

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: J.G.] #9018936 03/13/24 07:31 PM
H
HicksHunter Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Last round in the magazine of an AR will impact low.

The bolt locks open and I believe it robs gas. Seen it many times. Spotting for someone, round splash low, they ask if they should dial up more. Nope, bolt locked open. Reload the rifle, keep the same scope correction. Next shot hits the steel.

I mean this just doesn't make any sense. Robs gas?

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: scot] #9018946 03/13/24 07:49 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I don’t know about it robbing gas because the bullet may have left the muzzle by then, but I do know the bolt locking back changes the recoil impulse possibility effecting poa.

Re: Cold Bore Groups [Re: wp75169] #9018950 03/13/24 07:56 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by wp75169
I don’t know about it robbing gas because the bullet may have left the muzzle by then, but I do know the bolt locking back changes the recoil impulse possibility effecting poa.

I don't know how prevalent this is, I've never noticed it. The bullet would be long gone, you're right. So, would that not also hold true for the recoil impulse you mention? The absence of a round in the mag may put the bolt in a different position.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide