Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #9018488 03/12/24 05:55 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I always love to scratch items out after they’ve printed it on one of those printers that has layered copies.

Yup.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: tlk] #9018500 03/12/24 06:27 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tlk
yep every time I have to go see the finance guy I tell him up front - NO ADD ONS - no warranty, no anything - they ask me why? I tell them I self insure for everything - they hang their heads - care dealerships need to be regulated now

I tell sales people the same thing. Find me a truck with no tint, no pinstripes, no nitrogen, etc. When I walk into finance office I say no extras. Last time the finance guy said OK. Totally shocked me. Then he handed me the paperwork and it had a $650 dealer fee. I asked "what's this"?. He said "we charge that to everyone". I said not me. The purchase price I agreed to with sales was $xxx plus TT&L.

I had a finance dude trying the hard sell on the extended warranty. He tried everything to talk me into it. He asked if I knew why they had a shop. I said yep to do routine maintenance. Then he said will you take it if I can get you a lower interest rate. I asked how much? When he told me I asked if he would have offered the lower rate without the extended warranty. When he said of course I said fine I will take it and not the warranty.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9018505 03/12/24 06:39 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by Walkabout
Somebody already cover BAIT AND SWITCH. Now, when you get to the finance office, they may show you a credit score much lower than your actual score. Hang on to your butts.

That's pretty ballsy. Who doesn't know their own credit score?

That is not exactly how it works. You don't have a credit score. You have information that is stored by the credit bureaus. Each of the three credit bureaus have dozens of different scoring models that each bank wanting your credit score can subscribe to. Beacon 08, Beacon 09, Fico 08, Fico 09, Fico 08 auto enhanced, Fico 08 mortgage enhanced, Vantage 3.0, etc. Two different lenders can pull your credit score at the exact same time, and your score may be drastically different if they are pulling different scoring models. Usually, all the scoring models are fairly close. But that is not always the case. Usually, what you do to raise or lower one score will similarly affect the others. i.e. - paying down credit cards, or incurring late payments. But those actions may affect your score more or less depending on the scoring model. It is ridiculously complicated.

But...........any person should be able to have a very good idea based on an average of all that are available to the average person. About 5 years ago I had a F&I guy tell me a score that was actually a little higher than what I had for myself, after that I had a similar experience. I could see some small differences from bureau to bureau, but I don't see how one could say you suck and another say you're above average, right?

That is usually true. I have seen swings of 50+ points, but that is extremely rare, and is often times the result of a negative showing on one bureau, but not the other. i.e. Trans Union is showing a collection account, but Experian is not.

Re: Car dealer scams [Re: tlk] #9018557 03/12/24 08:45 PM
W
Walkabout Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Looks like we missed a few…
The following is a reprint from Public Counsel.org

Let’s face it: Americans love to drive, and buy hundreds of thousands of cars each year. While most auto dealerships play by the rules, there are still some dealers that do not. This list takes a closer look at some of the more common abuses and provides information on steps that consumers can take to educate and protect themselves.
Common Auto Dealer Scams
Bait and Switch.
Packing the Contract.
Advertising Bait and Switch.
Hiding a Lemon or Wreck.
Financing Fraud – Lying about credit scores.
Buy-Lease Switch.
Trade-in Fraud.
Co-signer Scam.

Re: Car dealer scams [Re: Walkabout] #9018559 03/12/24 08:49 PM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Looks like we missed a few…
The following is a reprint from Public Counsel.org

Let’s face it: Americans love to drive, and buy hundreds of thousands of cars each year. While most auto dealerships play by the rules, there are still some dealers that do not. This list takes a closer look at some of the more common abuses and provides information on steps that consumers can take to educate and protect themselves.
Common Auto Dealer Scams
Bait and Switch.
Packing the Contract.
Advertising Bait and Switch.
Hiding a Lemon or Wreck.
Financing Fraud – Lying about credit scores.
Buy-Lease Switch.
Trade-in Fraud.
Co-signer Scam.

Missed another. Finance guys telling you that you have to buy the warranty/GAP/Credit protection in order to get the lower rate. You don't have to . Warranty/GAP/Credit Protection are not tied to rate.

Re: Car dealer scams [Re: tlk] #9018735 03/13/24 11:23 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
It's comedy seeing the same people say dealer service takes too long, is too expensive AND also new cars are too complex. Pick one or the other.

LMAO

As far as credit score goes ... I don't know mine. Last time I checked it was REALLY good and I have done nothing to hurt it. I haven't applied for a mortgage in 19 years and I haven't applied for a car loan in 16 years. Why would I know to the exact number what my score is?

Pass the gravy.

Re: Car dealer scams [Re: tlk] #9018766 03/13/24 12:59 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by tlk

So I posted a thread a few weeks ago about my horrible experience at this dealership. Then I ran across this today. EXACTLY what we experienced - somebody should sue this dealership to put a stop to this crap

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=962462045507580

https://texasdmv.my.salesforce-sites.com/Complaint/

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries - but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: tlk] #9018771 03/13/24 01:11 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I encountered the bait and switch advertising at 2 dealers when shopping for a used car for my son. When I went to the first dealer and inquired about the car I saw advertised the sales lady said it was on the back lot. I said ok can you bring it up. She said no I can't drive it. I said "what" and she said it has a manual transmission. Encountered something similar at 2nd dealer when I asked about a car they advertised. Sales guy said it is on back lot and not for sale. I ended up buying a Ford Focus. When I checked the transmission fluid it was high. Drove it and it drove good and was very clean. Later I found out why they had overfilled the trans fluid.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: tlk] #9018806 03/13/24 02:22 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
The best way to protect yourself, other than avoiding dealerships altogether, is to simply become an informed consumer, do your research, know what you want, know what you'll pay, and know which dealership has the best rep to deal fairly. Don't be emotionally tied to the vehicle and be prepared to walk if your expectations aren't met. Stick to your guns.

We rarely buy locally and have been known to make trips, even one-way flights, to get the right vehicle, at the right price, from the right dealer.

[Linked Image]
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: tlk] #9018808 03/13/24 02:26 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
I have family (in-laws) that own car dealerships in AZ, and have had numerous business discussions with them about the car business. I've bought vehicles from them at large enough discounts (basically wholesale) that I still save money after the shipping costs from Phoenix. I find that when you talk to car dealers and speak their language, they quickly figure out that they can't BS an BSer. Either they need to move the unit and will play ball, or not... and you simply go on to the next dealer. I bought my last family vehicle during the lock down days of COVID and smoked the dealership on it.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: GasGuzzler] #9018821 03/13/24 02:41 PM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
It's comedy seeing the same people say dealer service takes too long, is too expensive AND also new cars are too complex. Pick one or the other.

LMAO

As far as credit score goes ... I don't know mine. Last time I checked it was REALLY good and I have done nothing to hurt it. I haven't applied for a mortgage in 19 years and I haven't applied for a car loan in 16 years. Why would I know to the exact number what my score is?

Why would you need to monitor your credit even though you are doing nothing to hurt it? What is someone has stolen your identity and is doing things to hurt your credit?

Re: Car dealer scams [Re: tlk] #9018825 03/13/24 02:56 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
When I was 24 years old I showed up at a dealer, I had good credit and pre-approved financing at my bank.
I was buying a $13,000 truck, and I had a $3000 trade, that I had the title for. All was well until I sat down to sign papers. They added the $3000 trade on to the total price, I now owed $16000. I explained their error and that they needed to subtract the $3000, not add it, the final number should be $10000. I was told "why should we have to pay for your car?" They had a lot of papers to pick up as I walked out. What should have been $10000 was now $16000, a $6000 difference. I wonder how many young folks they had done that to.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: kry226] #9018828 03/13/24 03:05 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by kry226
The best way to protect yourself, other than avoiding dealerships altogether, is to simply become an informed consumer, do your research, know what you want, know what you'll pay, and know which dealership has the best rep to deal fairly. Don't be emotionally tied to the vehicle and be prepared to walk if your expectations aren't met. Stick to your guns.

We rarely buy locally and have been known to make trips, even one-way flights, to get the right vehicle, at the right price, from the right dealer.

You are 100% correct. I finally traded last year after waiting 2 years longer than when I normally trade my wifes vehicle. I researched for almost 6 months checking internet prices and checking inventory on dealers' lots before I ever walked on a car lot. Even sent a few emails to dealerships. I also had offers for my trade from 3 places if they didn`t want to give me enough $$$. Luckily, I`ve never had to deal with some of the salespeople that try to pull BS on customers. I always try to be respectful when the negotiations start and let the salesperson dictate how it goes from there. Never really had to get ugly with a salesperson, but I`ve made it clear more than once that I`d be willing to walk over as little as 200 bucks. Never get emotional over a car.

Re: Car dealer scams [Re: unclebubba] #9018832 03/13/24 03:14 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

LMAO

Why would you need to monitor your credit even though you are doing nothing to hurt it? What is someone has stolen your identity and is doing things to hurt your credit?

Had that happen. Girl opened up an account at Goldman Sachs and ran up a $10k bill under my social. Only way I caught it was thru looking at my credit wise account.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: txtrophy85] #9018845 03/13/24 03:40 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

LMAO

Had that happen. Girl opened up an account at Goldman Sachs and ran up a $10k bill under my social. Only way I caught it was thru looking at my credit wise account.

Always wise to run the yearly free credit reports just to ensure no funny business.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: GasGuzzler] #9018851 03/13/24 03:51 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

LMAO

Now, I do it out of curiosity and to stay on top of my financial information. It's interesting to see it move up over the years. I'll continue to finance vehicles every 6-8 years or so and want to be ready if a dealership tries to tell me my score is something it isn't. Actually, that has not happened to me as I can recall. They know my credit score, and when they see it, they know I know it as well.

Re: Car dealer scams [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9018878 03/13/24 04:59 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
but I don't see how one could say you suck and another say you're above average, right?

That only happens with women FME.

Re: Car dealer scams [Re: TPACK] #9019030 03/14/24 12:45 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by TPACK
Originally Posted by kry226

You are 100% correct. I finally traded last year after waiting 2 years longer than when I normally trade my wifes vehicle. I researched for almost 6 months checking internet prices and checking inventory on dealers' lots before I ever walked on a car lot. Even sent a few emails to dealerships. I also had offers for my trade from 3 places if they didn`t want to give me enough $$$. Luckily, I`ve never had to deal with some of the salespeople that try to pull BS on customers. I always try to be respectful when the negotiations start and let the salesperson dictate how it goes from there. Never really had to get ugly with a salesperson, but I`ve made it clear more than once that I`d be willing to walk over as little as 200 bucks. Never get emotional over a car.

Yessir. We just traded the wife's ride in for new as the previous had become unreliable from my perspective and very much beginning to look like a money pit. Screw that, it's just a commodity (but my kids get emotional when I DX the family vehicle as they normally have a lot of memories tied up in the car... but I believe they're learning that it's just a car).

With my schedule, which includes a lot of frequent travel away from home, I will not allow Household 6 to be driving herself and the kids around in unreliable transportation. Luckily, we had a really good salesman with a great reputation, and we did a deal without too much consternation. I left a little meat on the bone with the deal, which I'm happy to do for great service, and I've found at this point in my life that after my family, my time is my most precious resource and I was not willing to haggle over the last pennies. The car we traded in, I got 21% off of sticker (no joke) when I bought it. The new one was only around 5% under sticker, and I went into the negotiation knowing where my boundaries were and where we'd likely land with the deal. I also knew at what point I would walk away.

But the comfort and security is well worth it knowing the family is in good shape when I'm not around, and you cannot put a price on that.

It's different for every person and family, and that's where being an informed consumer really pays dividends.

[Linked Image]
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9019035 03/14/24 12:55 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Somebody already cover BAIT AND SWITCH. Now, when you get to the finance office, they may show you a credit score much lower than your actual score. Hang on to your butts.

That's pretty ballsy. Who doesn't know their own credit score?

I have no idea what my credit score is.

Re: Car dealer scams [Re: tlk] #9019066 03/14/24 02:30 AM
B
blanked Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Who on earth memorizes there credit score????? You have to be so far in debt buying everything on credit that often . Geez. No wonder young people dont feel they have to pay off there student loans .

Gen z and millennials never fail to amaze me

Last edited by blanked; 03/14/24 02:31 AM.
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: blanked] #9019069 03/14/24 02:41 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by blanked
Who on earth memorizes there credit score????? You have to be so far in debt buying everything on credit that often . Geez. No wonder young people dont feel they have to pay off there student loans .

True. I have a rough idea what mine is. What amazes me is how it goes down when you pay off debt.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: tlk] #9019075 03/14/24 03:01 AM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
While we’re at it; anyone know a great Toyota dealership?

Re: Car dealer scams [Re: blanked] #9019076 03/14/24 03:03 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Not knowing an approximate idea of your credit score isn’t some kind of flex. It just means you’re not paying attention to your personal information.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Car dealer scams [Re: txtrophy85] #9019084 03/14/24 04:00 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Not knowing an approximate idea of your credit score isn’t some kind of flex. It just means you’re not paying attention to your personal information.

I haven’t applied for a loan in 20 years and have fraud alerts on my information with all 3 of the CB so I don’t have any reason to know what it is or care what it is.

Re: Car dealer scams [Re: blanked] #9019100 03/14/24 08:26 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Who in this thread are you referring to?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide