Print Thread
Hot water leak under slab #9015670 03/06/24 02:57 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im no plumber at all but almost certain I have a hot water leak under my slab at house. Both my electric(electric water heater) bill and water bill have shot up real high. Meter turns constant until I turn off water to water heater.
First, does that sound like a good diagnosis?
Second, whats the fix?
Im being told to rerun the hot water lines up above instead of detecting the leak and busting up slab to repair.
Plumbers so busy and Im out of town a bunch coming up so wondering about short term. Can I just turn off the valve coming out of heater until needed or at least while im outa town?

Last edited by freerange; 03/06/24 02:58 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9015714 03/06/24 04:28 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Went through this last year. Found a local leak detector, got leak pinpointed and hired plumber to run pex from manifold to sink through attic. Leaking pipe removed from manifold and abandoned. Cost was less than homeowners policy deductible, even after Sheetrock repair and painting work.
Longest wait was for sheetrock- painter to fit me in.

Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9015733 03/06/24 04:55 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I wouldn't just turn the valve off because if you have a leak the water heater will eventually go dry and you'll have it running and potentially ruining the heater...so turn it and the valve off while you're gone.

As far as running water up...I'm not a fan of water being above because attics are normally colder and they will be prone to freezing + not sure if you've seen a busted pipe from above, it ain't pretty and drywall actually rains down on stuff. Only thing worse is a suspended ceiling.

Saying that, lot of folks do it and hard to get around it with a 2 story house. I would insulate it really well, if possible. Good luck, plumbing stuff SUCKS!!!!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: Judd] #9015740 03/06/24 05:01 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Judd
I wouldn't just turn the valve off because if you have a leak the water heater will eventually go dry and you'll have it running and potentially ruining the heater...so turn it and the valve off while you're gone.

As far as running water up...I'm not a fan of water being above because attics are normally colder and they will be prone to freezing + not sure if you've seen a busted pipe from above, it ain't pretty and drywall actually rains down on stuff. Only thing worse is a suspended ceiling.

Saying that, lot of folks do it and hard to get around it with a 2 story house. I would insulate it really well, if possible. Good luck, plumbing stuff SUCKS!!!!

The water heater won’t run dry when you turn the valve off. And every new house has the water lines above the slab now so it’s perfectly fine.

Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9015741 03/06/24 05:01 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Pex in the attic is one way. I'm aware of two different repairs where a plumber was able to snake pex inside existing copper because there were no elbows. Neither of those repairs created a reduced flow issue. I don't remember if those two went to showers or only to sinks.

I have heard of a few repairs in the attic where they didn't insulate the pipe. Pex will still freeze without bursting, but you have to wait until a thaw to have that water source again. Be sure to insulate it, and then hope it doesn't freeze.

Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9015776 03/06/24 06:31 PM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Pex already had a better longevity record that copper and steel pipe. It's more forgiving about freezing (you can still have problems with fittings).

I would have zero concerns with in-attic Pex replacement.

They can drill a hole in the top plate and fish in through to most fixtures. That beats jackhammering the slap.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9015777 03/06/24 06:36 PM
L
Lazyjack Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
If I was leaving for more than 24 hours, I would close inlet valve and disconnect power.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9015806 03/06/24 07:56 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
Neighbor just did this. Had a hot water slab leak. Ended up going through the attic. Plumber was $1500 and he found some guy to fix the sheet rock and paint for $250.

Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9015838 03/06/24 08:59 PM
B
BOLT GUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I went through this last winter. I had a noticeably warmer spot in the kitchen floor where the leak was. We tunneled under the house vs going through the slab.
Ended up having 4 different leaks, hot and cold, by the time it was completely fixed.
Pex Was recommended by another plumber, but I didn't want to have to deal with squirrels and rats, which were a possibility.
Unhook the power to your water heater before shutting off water to it.

Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9015855 03/06/24 09:25 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Another thought about going to pex in the attic. The leak could be a sign of deteriorating cooper and more leaks may develop

Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9015888 03/06/24 10:29 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
had one leak under slab between kitchen sink and washing machine. Pex through the existing line though it did reduce water flow, no big deal just takes longer to fill. Now have another one under slab. Getting bids to run pex through attic, 2 leaks under slab in one year not a pattern I want any more of. Should be able to have all connectors in walls and sheetrock is not that hard to patch and deal with for connections.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9015900 03/06/24 10:50 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks a lot for the comments guys. It helps a lot.
Im still waiting to talk to plumbers and its tough setting anything up with my schedule. It does sound like I have at least identified the issue.
I was told just to locate the leak would cost $400. Im not sure that is needed if Im going through the ceiling. It might help to know where leak was so that I did not have to rerun ALL the lines but depending on costs it may be smart to rerun all before I have further leaks in future. Several sources have said going above is how all new houses are being done so that gives me some comfort this is the way to go.
In the mean time Im still not 100% sure how to cut it off temporarily. Some have said cut off coming in and others the hot going out. To me it makes sense on the going out since it could keep leaking if not. Or just cut both off. Also not sure if I should just unplug it if I turn off water.
Im still open for more comments.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9016019 03/07/24 01:43 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Just about all new homes now do have pex in the attic. Almost all of them have spray foamed attics as well---nowhere close to freezing in the winter. Remember the insulation wrap.

Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9016062 03/07/24 03:14 AM
L
LoneStarSon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Had it happen in January this year. Repiped the house using Pex. They ran it from the garage through the attic and to the needed faucets. It took them about 8 hours total...and I had to repair the sheetrock/drywall/texture. It's done, though.

Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9016063 03/07/24 03:16 AM
L
LoneStarSon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by freerange
Thanks a lot for the comments guys. It helps a lot.
Im still waiting to talk to plumbers and its tough setting anything up with my schedule. It does sound like I have at least identified the issue.
I was told just to locate the leak would cost $400. Im not sure that is needed if Im going through the ceiling. It might help to know where leak was so that I did not have to rerun ALL the lines but depending on costs it may be smart to rerun all before I have further leaks in future. Several sources have said going above is how all new houses are being done so that gives me some comfort this is the way to go.
In the mean time Im still not 100% sure how to cut it off temporarily. Some have said cut off coming in and others the hot going out. To me it makes sense on the going out since it could keep leaking if not. Or just cut both off. Also not sure if I should just unplug it if I turn off water.
Im still open for more comments.

You will need to cut off the water coming from the heater. If you turn off water to the heater, then you need to make dang certain to turn off the electricity to the heater. If you drain the heater and you haven't turned off the electricity you'll have the elements blow through the side of the tank.

Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9016090 03/07/24 04:11 AM
TKM Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Went through this 4 years ago day before i was to head out on a 9 day hunt. Hot water leak under slab, under the kitchen cabinets. $12k to remove cabinets, jackhammer slab, repair and replace everything.
$1100 to run pex up through the attic and down to sink. Insulated, never had an issue with it.

Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9016095 03/07/24 04:19 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Dealt with this right after the big freeze. Went through the attic. Shut the water heater off and pay man what he asks.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9016183 03/07/24 01:33 PM
B
Ben Kabisch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
We had same issue a couple years ago and ran pex through the attic. Only way to go as far as i'm concerned after looking at cost of busting up concrete then rebuilding that portion

Re: Hot water leak under slab [Re: freerange] #9016498 03/08/24 01:01 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks again guys. Seems almost everyone likes pex in the attic. Appreciate the costs figures. Lonestar, thanks for the specifics on cutting off water for the short term.
Now if I can just align my schedule with the plumbers....

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide