Forums46
Topics538,056
Posts9,732,484
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9014875 03/04/24 08:32 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by BenBob
I think I will just try to stick to my own business. Maybe you should also.

Is designating me the resident expert on everything minding your own business?

Not really. I would have to believe it was a huge exaggeration.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014878 03/04/24 08:41 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

So critical comments about other people’s thread topics is minding your own business? Interesting concept. I think the thread is worthwhile, because others can read about what can go wrong on a lease, and folks can learn from it to know what to watch out for. If you really want to mind your own business though there’s a sign off tab you can click.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014881 03/04/24 08:42 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Is designating me the resident expert on everything minding your own business?

Not really. I would have to believe it was a huge exaggeration.

Thanks for clarifying. Have a nice day.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014905 03/04/24 10:03 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
I leased a place for five years that the land "owner" claimed had been in family for generations. Had to clear my stuff the week before season started because he only had grass rights leased on the place and when some distant, out of town family showed up to check on the property they were none to happy to find a deer camp, feeders and stands. I should have learned my lesson but me and dad wanted to hunt, season was about to start and he had another place down the road so we moved there. Swore it was his and we wouldn't have the same trouble. Couple years later the rates went up because all the family needed more money. Family, what family? I thought this was your place...... I was done after that. A couple of people on with us chose to stay and some more crazy [censored] happened the next couple years til they had enough also.

Both times it was "complicated" was his answer. Not going to lie I had some great times out there and killed some pretty nice deer so I guess in the end I can't bitch too much.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014916 03/04/24 10:29 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
In my view I do not think a post like this is negative. There are a bunch of hunters on this forum with tons of experiences and history on many things. I enjoy the discussions and real life events some on here have encountered.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014917 03/04/24 10:30 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Very easy to identify who really owns land using county websites. And between Facebook, Linkedin, and other online resources, you stand a good chance of finding contact information for them. If nothing else, send a letter to the address of the person who has been paying the taxes that's shown on the county tax office website.

I've already shared my story in another thread how the guy who was subleasing to me did so without the landowner's permission. It took me less than 30 minutes to locate the landowner's telephone number. All good now.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/04/24 10:32 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014923 03/04/24 10:39 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
4 year lease had ended so new agreement/contract was to be signed but LO never got us one. He wanted his payment at same time as in the past in May so we gave him that and he cashed the check. We kept the feeders going and such through the Summer. I went by his house some trying to get the new contracts but never got one we had one and he said we were good. One dropped of the 6 members dropped off the lease so we picked up another and knew he would want him to sign at least btu several attempts he never had one for him to sign. Opening weekend of dove season we were told since to vacate the lease that weekend have everything off of it by sundown Monday or it was his since we had never signed a lease agreement for he new years which he never provided to us to sign.

Talked to the constable that lived close by and he said we could take him to court if we wanted to hunt it since taking and keeping the $ created a good faith contract. We just pulled the stuff off the place and grabbed a couple smaller places to hunt. At the opening day of deer season BBQ that land owner tried to start some crap with us but went home when the constable and game wardens stepped in and told him he best go home and not come back they knew what he had done breaking a good faith contract.

Wound up he had leased it out from under us to some of his friends that paid $1200 a year more than we were paying. No increase was ever discussed with us, no new contract provided but he wanted his payment by X date and he got it, then held the $ after leasing it to someone else while holding our $ for 3 months.

GWs checked his hunters camp several times and wrote a few tickets.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: Texas Dan] #9014941 03/04/24 11:32 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Very easy to identify who really owns land using county websites. And between Facebook, Linkedin, and other online resources, you stand a good chance of finding contact information for them. If nothing else, send a letter to the address of the person who has been paying the taxes that's shown on the county tax office website.

I've already shared my story in another thread how the guy who was subleasing to me did so without the landowner's permission. It took me less than 30 minutes to locate the landowner's telephone number. All good now.

Yea good info. Never occurred to me place wasn't his. I found it through a friend that had known the guy for a while and leased another spot from him. He was farming and running cows on both places I hunted so never crossed my mind he was lying about the 1st one. Same thing on the 2nd one, which apparently he had rights to but place was owned by multiple heirs in his family or something.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014942 03/04/24 11:33 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Many years ago a guy who had the grazing rights to a large place leased it to us for spring turkey in the first spring seasons in Texas. After a couple of years we met the land owner who was very unhappy with him. She ended up leasing it to us for several years in a year round lease.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: chalet] #9014970 03/05/24 12:35 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by chalet

Yea good info. Never occurred to me place wasn't his. I found it through a friend that had known the guy for a while and leased another spot from him. He was farming and running cows on both places I hunted so never crossed my mind he was lying about the 1st one. Same thing on the 2nd one, which apparently he had rights to but place was owned by multiple heirs in his family or something.

large majority of ranches are now in LLC’s, Trusts or Corps, and it will continue to grow for tax and inheritance reasons . So even with apps like Onx that pull data off Tax appraiser sites, you arent going to find the owners. You may get a last name but most likely not. Now you can get address the tax bill goes too.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: Texas Dan] #9014973 03/05/24 12:43 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

When we had the issue there wasn't an interweb.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: Ol Thumper] #9014982 03/05/24 01:20 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Hey Thumper, gotta agree

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9015019 03/05/24 02:47 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by chalet

large majority of ranches are now in LLC’s, Trusts or Corps, and it will continue to grow for tax and inheritance reasons . So even with apps like Onx that pull data off Tax appraiser sites, you arent going to find the owners. You may get a last name but most likely not. Now you can get address the tax bill goes too.

I’ve noticed that about the large ones.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: ntxtrapper] #9017621 03/10/24 02:45 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I think the thread is worthwhile, because others can read about what can go wrong on a lease, and folks can learn from it to know what to watch out for.

Yes, it can be a great test of character when you refrain from saying a word when someone accuses you of "starting chit" after you've caught them in their lies and deception.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9018311 03/12/24 10:50 AM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
My advice is to become a landowner. May be a smaller place, but you’ll be the boss.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9027664 04/01/24 05:39 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Agree on becoming a landowner. Might not be a big place but I seldom hunt over about 20 or so acres when I’m watching a feeder. Or, form a group and buy bigger places.

I bought a house because I got tired of renting. I bought a POS hunting land that nobody but me wanted.

Or, save the $ and hunt out of state. I would rather have one high country elk hunt than a season of Texas whitetails.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9038056 04/24/24 01:07 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Haven’t been on as many leases as most but mine were all positive. Personally I feel like a lot of hunters look at what they are paying and think it’s a lot and want a lot of control and that’s just not how it is.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: redchevy] #9038082 04/24/24 02:04 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by redchevy
Haven’t been on as many leases as most but mine were all positive. Personally I feel like a lot of hunters look at what they are paying and think it’s a lot and want a lot of control and that’s just not how it is.

My feelings also ^^^^^^

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9038088 04/24/24 02:19 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
'Last lease I was on was a big place with multiple groups of hunters. The LO liked me alright, but I knew he liked to throw fits over little things. As stated above, he didn't let on, but there were multiple heirs. I can understand how trying to keep a way of life going that is dying very quickly can create an incredible amount of stress on a man. 'Glad I got off when I did.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide