Page 1 of 2 1 2
Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth #9014694 03/04/24 03:08 PM
B
BenBob Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
We leased from a rancher that had UT land leased and he had no problems lying every time he opened his mouth. We signed a 5 year contract that required us and all others to feed protein. We subleased which ranch owner/leaser approved of, had boundaries, penalties for breaking rules, and spent a lot of time enforcing the rules. At one time we had 25 sections leased from that family. We were assured that if things went smoothly, we could up for another 5 years. At the end of the 5 year period after the season, the landowner saw one of our partners in the lease filling up with gas and informed him that we needed to start getting our stuff off of his land. 5 years of protein which we were beginning to see positive results from, 5 years of spending lots of weekends there and always having a lease operator down there any time someone was hunting, down the drain. We paid for helicopter surveys to use to set the number of deer that could be killed. Of course the rancher never agreed to that number, so we always had to alter it and kill fewer than the TP&W recommended because the rancher knew best. We interrupted numerous poachers in the act and saved the rancher countless hours of work by helping out around the place, but in the end---enough was not enough. Never once did he call a meeting with us to express problems that we or any of our hunters had caused. But in the end, enough was not enough as he knew he would be able to lease it again and again. The family never leased to any group for more than 5 years. That kept the deer fed with protein and assured a lease agreement long enough for hunters to feel good about the place. But at the end of 5 years you are leaving no matter what. We treated the landowner with respect, helped him and his family with stock and ranch chores like keeping water in all pastures. We occasionally had to relieve a hunter of their hunting privileges, but we thought we ran a good lease. Apparently not according to the rancher, but no guidance on his part except to leave.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014707 03/04/24 03:19 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Several times through the years have dealt with ranchers & farmers that just straight up lied about things. Had lots that were best people ever & still friends with them. Dealing with lying people is what drove us to buying our own place. It doesn't matter what type of job/living people do, just some are a straight up POS. No morals or integrity.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014712 03/04/24 03:33 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
never had a bad rancher, had a road nazi but I get that part.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9014715 03/04/24 03:36 PM
B
BenBob Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
never had a bad rancher, had a road nazi but I get that part.

It will sort of sour you on the leasing deal, but there are good and bad in all endeavors.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014718 03/04/24 03:38 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Road Nazi? We had a pumper that thought he owned the place just because he rented a house from our land owner. Biggest deer lease PITA we ever had to deal with. This idiot would bitch about anything, none of it his business. A real Roy D. Mercer type. He got water from one of the stock tanks that was great fishing, and swimming. He griped big time when he found out we swam in it and had for years before he took over the wells. We kept doing it, until he put up a NO SWIMMING sign. Note to jerk, don't piss people off that are alone with your water.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 03/04/24 03:47 PM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9014728 03/04/24 03:52 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Road Nazi? We had a pumper that thought he owned the place just because he rented a house from our land owner. Biggest deer lease PITA we ever had to deal with. This idiot would bitch about anything, none of it his business. A real Roy D. Mercer type. He got water from one of the stock tanks that was great fishing, and swimming. He griped big time when he found out we swam in it and had for years before he took over the wells. We kept doing it, until he put up a NO SWIMMING sign. Note to jerk, don't piss people off that are alone with your water.

If roads are wet you better be in a SxS or UTV. He doesn't want ruts. I get it. Obviously he has had an issue with it in the past.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014748 03/04/24 04:15 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It sounds like they honored the 5 year contract. And it also sounds like you all were trying to be good stewards of the land while you had it leased.

It sucks but time to move on.

Appears like the rancher was leasing instead of an actual landowner? Right?

To be determined
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: TurkeyHunter] #9014754 03/04/24 04:23 PM
B
BenBob Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
It sounds like they honored the 5 year contract. And it also sounds like you all were trying to be good stewards of the land while you had it leased.

It sucks but time to move on.

Appears like the rancher was leasing instead of an actual landowner? Right?

Land owner was University of Texas. Land usually stays under the stewardship of the same family for years and years and the amount the land leaser pays UT is not very much compared to what the rancher gets in return.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014768 03/04/24 04:58 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I guess the worst one was the one who came through at night and spot lighted. I would draw a line in the sandy road and the next morning there were truck tires across them. We were all local hunters and he couldn`t hunt it during the week and never knew when we would be there, so he made up a lie after 2 years about the property being sold. The next season, him and some friends hunted it. Why not just tell the truth and say were just not gonna lease it next year.

Got on another lease where the LO let friends hunt and only charged minimal $$. I got on thru my son and not really his friend. The downside was he liked telling you where you could hunt, and you never knew when he would just show up the last 30 minutes of the evening and F up your hunting by driving thru the whole lease with a gun sticking out the window. He really wasn`t a bad LO, but just a pain in the [censored] if you were serious about your hunting.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014779 03/04/24 05:34 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Never had a bad owner that I can remember. Had a couple of lease bosses that were pretty sorry. The main reason I bought my own place back in 1998, tired of dealing with jerks.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014788 03/04/24 05:59 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
What’s with all the negative threads? Why is everything always a “ what’s the worst” topic?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014798 03/04/24 06:14 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
It's becoming a national mood

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: txtrophy85] #9014807 03/04/24 06:19 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
What’s with all the negative threads? Why is everything always a “ what’s the worst” topic?

I think the age of the forum is starting to shine through, bunch of whine bagging poor pitiful me bitchfest threads that are seemingly getting worse by the day. I’m waiting on the “My Depends Leak” thread to pop up any day now rofl

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: txtrophy85] #9014808 03/04/24 06:19 PM
B
BenBob Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Deer season is over----worst time of the year.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014825 03/04/24 06:52 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Posting negative topics or whining about negative topics that are posted. It's like a Karen contest.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: ntxtrapper] #9014845 03/04/24 08:01 PM
B
BenBob Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Posting negative topics or whining about negative topics that are posted. It's like a Karen contest.

So sorry I am not a manly man like you think you are.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: txtrophy85] #9014849 03/04/24 08:08 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Have you seen what drives the news cycle the last 8-10 years? Sad to say, but it's like negative comments on a product vs. positive.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014852 03/04/24 08:11 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BenBob

Manly topics, like "How Strong Are You, relative to your size", "Now Drinking", "Current State of Country Music"..........jump in one of those and you'll get your man card back.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014859 03/04/24 08:16 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

I didn’t quote you so if the statement applies to you, that was your conclusion.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014860 03/04/24 08:16 PM
B
BenBob Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
How about I just run anything I want to say on here by the resident expert, you? Would that make you feel better?

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014862 03/04/24 08:19 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
How about I just run anything I want to say on here by the resident expert, you? Would that make you feel better?

Or, develop a sense of humor?

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014863 03/04/24 08:21 PM
B
BenBob Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I think I will just try to stick to my own business. Maybe you should also.

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014868 03/04/24 08:24 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
popcorn

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014872 03/04/24 08:30 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I think I will just try to stick to my own business. Maybe you should also.

Is designating me the resident expert on everything minding your own business?

Re: Worst Rancher/Land Owner You Have Dealt WIth [Re: BenBob] #9014873 03/04/24 08:31 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Question for BenBob, you said the rancher saw one of the lease members filling up with gas....was this a gas tank on the land or at a service station outside the ranch?

I could totally see the rancher getting peeved about someone using a gas tank that was not part of the lease, that is tantamount to stealing from the family and I would have the same attitude toward people that were leasing from me.

But I don't want to assume here so figured I would ask before jumping to that conclusion.

Even so, maybe the family just didn't want people on their "land" even though it technically isn't their land. Some people like too much control, and when allowing other people onto their property, control is lost no matter how tight the lease is. Sounds like you did your part, I don't see anything the rancher did was wrong either, both honored agreements but at the end of said agreement the deal is over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide