THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
40 years old
6 foot 2 inches
I can bench 315

In my 20s I was 220 and could bench 325

My bench hasn’t gone down much but my legs are a lot weaker. I could squat 600 in high school, no idea now but I know it’s a lot less.

I’m less concerned with strength these days and more with the fact my cardio is horrible.

That's strong, real strong. Close enough to 1.5x your body weight for me.

I'll tell you, being 61, you really want to start focusing on core and cardio now. You don't want to get a hernia; I've never had one but a lot of men my age have. Also, I always worked my shoulders hard, not with heavy weight but a lot of the right kind of rep's of light weight. Everybody I know but myself has had shoulder surgery.

I am really trying to make some changes to my overall fitness. The older I get the less I really care about strength. I’m just kind of naturally strong and have a strong back as well but for long term health I don’t care anymore how strong I s am. I’m a firefighter so I do have to maintain a certain level of cardiovascular fitness or I’ll be taken off active duty but I’ve been borderline for some time.

It’s time for me to get my crap together and get in better shape for my long term health and career.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: How Strong are you [Re: skinnerback] #9013806 03/02/24 02:29 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
even 2nd and 3rd degree burns to my penis and groin

eek2

She must have been hot, real hot scared

Kidding aside, ouch.

texas Faith, Family and Freedom flag

Re: How Strong are you [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9013825 03/02/24 03:05 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Most men are strong relatively speaking. Fitness and strength are two different things. You can have a 40” waist and get out of breath after a 20 yard jog and be strong.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: How Strong are you [Re: BradyBuck] #9013836 03/02/24 03:55 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
40 years old
6 foot 2 inches
I can bench 315

My bench hasn’t gone down much but my legs are a lot weaker. I could squat 600 in high school, no idea now but I know it’s a lot less.

I’m less concerned with strength these days and more with the fact my cardio is horrible.

I'll tell you, being 61, you really want to start focusing on core and cardio now. You don't want to get a hernia; I've never had one but a lot of men my age have. Also, I always worked my shoulders hard, not with heavy weight but a lot of the right kind of rep's of light weight. Everybody I know but myself has had shoulder surgery.

I am really trying to make some changes to my overall fitness. The older I get the less I really care about strength. I’m just kind of naturally strong and have a strong back as well but for long term health I don’t care anymore how strong I s am. I’m a firefighter so I do have to maintain a certain level of cardiovascular fitness or I’ll be taken off active duty but I’ve been borderline for some time.

It’s time for me to get my crap together and get in better shape for my long term health and career.

Do it for yourself Brady. At your age, you are still young enough to question whether you have more good years in front of or behind you? In the not so distant future that will no longer be something to ponder. Father Time will inevitably catch up with us all. Put it off and live large as long as you can.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: How Strong are you [Re: 10 Gauge] #9013903 03/02/24 07:12 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
[
Thank you but my time has passed. From before my adolescence up through about age 24, peak human performance was my top priority. By then i figured out I was striving for something impossible for me to achieve, that nearly destroyed my life. But about a 160 pound pot bellied blue belt in jiu jitsu completed dominated me physically, and changed the trajectory of my life.

To be honest i am getting old, fat, and cynical and should make fitness a priority. We should all make it *a* priority. But never top priority.

Aren’t you 38 or 40 years old? That’s not old. Much too young to be throwing in the towel.

Re: How Strong are you [Re: BradyBuck] #9013949 03/02/24 10:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
40 years old
6 foot 2 inches
I can bench 315

Ive migrated same way, I was burned out after college, and when I started focusing back on backpack hunts, I knew I needed to get more functional with a focus on endurance rather then hypertrophy. I focus on movement and cardio. I love sand bag work outs.

Brute force has a really good free online sand bag work app program. Being First Responder I sure they would give a discount on equipment. Very functional movement work outs.

here are a couple works outs as an example

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: How Strong are you [Re: txtrophy85] #9014062 03/03/24 02:57 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
[
Thank you but my time has passed. From before my adolescence up through about age 24, peak human performance was my top priority. By then i figured out I was striving for something impossible for me to achieve, that nearly destroyed my life. But about a 160 pound pot bellied blue belt in jiu jitsu completed dominated me physically, and changed the trajectory of my life.

To be honest i am getting old, fat, and cynical and should make fitness a priority. We should all make it *a* priority. But never top priority.

Aren’t you 38 or 40 years old? That’s not old. Much too young to be throwing in the towel.

I am 43. I don’t have time to work out. I know people say that is bs i really don’t care. I barely have enough time to get adequate rest. Plus i walk 40 miles a week, and i unload about 45 tons of freight a week. I would probably get results on one good strength work out a week.

I do a routine off and on with tractor tire snow chains. They weigh about 75 or maybe 80 pounds apiece. I can carry two in each hand for two minutes no problem. So the physical labor I do on a weekly basis is helping me maintain functional strength.

Try a farmers walk for two minutes with 150 pounds per hand. It is no picnic. Most *strong* people can’t carry a hundred per hand for two minutes. Think you can? Video or didn’t happen.

I lose my “free time” in the back of a 53’ trailer waiting on customers to receive. I do a little bit of exercise back there, mostly push ups, plus the unloading and walking, I am not worried about my general health and metabolism etc. My hand strength is better than most elite lifters, I can take care of myself.

I just don’t want to spend my one day off in the gym. I might pick BJJ back up though, I miss it a lot. One day of BJJ a week, with some hard rolling and open mat time, would be enough to learn or maintain the basics. But I would rather be shooting, hunting, fishing, or something that the kids want to do. Comic con, etc lol

I did do the workout and diet part of “75 hard” for about 90 days, and the cold shower part every chance i got. I got it from a meme and people in the group kept telling me all the little crap i missed so I kept re-starting. That was a mistake i will never make again. I am still recovering from it 🤣

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 03/03/24 03:10 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: How Strong are you [Re: txtrophy85] #9014078 03/03/24 03:18 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Most men are strong relatively speaking. Fitness and strength are two different things. You can have a 40” waist and get out of breath after a 20 yard jog and be strong.

Truth. Fitness is much more than strength. I don’t think I could lift much but I can do 30 Pushups at a time and walk a ways without stopping. I will let you know about my fitness levels when I start training for this years hunts in Montana.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: How Strong are you [Re: Retired and hunting] #9014087 03/03/24 03:34 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Retired and hunting
5’6.195. Always very strong,powerful legs. Both daughters were state champions in powerlifting,four surgeries later and doc has limited me to no more than 50lbs max fortunately the same weight as a bag of corn 😄

Long as you can fill feeders and carry a gun. Nothing else matters, according to Thomas Jefferson.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 03/03/24 03:35 AM.

Re: How Strong are you [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9014173 03/03/24 01:54 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
You guys keep it up. Do it as long as you can and then do what you can still do. I’m 81 and a shell of what I used to be. But, I’m still here.

I get together with a bunch that I graduated from high school with in 1960. Most of the male survivors are in pretty decent shape for our age. I recently asked what exercises they did. Mostly walking. The females seldom exercise but they still outlive us.

Most of us have old man strength because we have better sense than to try to bench press our weight. Things tear. Not a fat guy in the bunch. They have all died off. A lot, like me, walk, squeeze grips, stretch bands, and do a lot of reps with light weights. We do them multiple times daily while watching TV. About half of us have torn something due to doing stupid stuff in the name of health and strength. Not a smoker in the crowd but a lot of ex smokers. Dang near all of us have some form of arthritis. About 50% military veterans. We, the vets, are generally in better shape physically and most of us, although not wealthy, are financially secure.

Our exercising is to keep us going, not build muscle, and we do what we can.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 03/03/24 01:54 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: How Strong are you [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9014185 03/03/24 02:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Knew a guy who was the grandpa of a kid on our baseball team. Competitive weight lifter in his younger days, I’m pretty sure he was a Vietnam vet.

Did some light ranching and kept lifting weights. One day, when he was in his mid to late 70’s he died one day. Was extremely physically capable until the day he died.

Thats how I want to go. Be healthy and physically capable and then just die one day.

Re: How Strong are you [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #9014194 03/03/24 02:33 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

Truth. Fitness is much more than strength. I don’t think I could lift much but I can do 30 Pushups at a time and walk a ways without stopping. I will let you know about my fitness levels when I start training for this years hunts in Montana.

Montana is not as bad as CO, you dont have the extreme altitude to contend with . My advice, bike and ruck. The ruck conditions your feet. Tougher your feet better off you will be, After that its just one foot in front of the other. Dont forget hardcast pistol ammo

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: How Strong are you [Re: txtrophy85] #9014195 03/03/24 02:34 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Knew a guy who was the grandpa of a kid on our baseball team. Competitive weight lifter in his younger days, I’m pretty sure he was a Vietnam vet.

Did some light ranching and kept lifting weights. One day, when he was in his mid to late 70’s he died one day. Was extremely physically capable until the day he died.

Thats how I want to go. Be healthy and physically capable and then just die one day.

x2. I refuse to be a burden

Re: How Strong are you [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9014458 03/03/24 11:34 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

That’s my plan. Gonna work myself right into the grave.

Re: How Strong are you [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9014675 03/04/24 02:43 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Train and be fit for whatever station you are in life, or the activity you need to be in shape for. I looked at some pic's through the years. When I was running a Caveman Crawl, backpacking at elevation, weightlifting, packing deer out in Texas or s ski trip I trained differently and looked very different as a result.

Overall deer lease fitness...........gotta build up my bird legs for walking up and down steep hills. I've missed leg day the last 10 years.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: How Strong are you [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9014708 03/04/24 03:20 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Train and be fit for whatever station you are in life, or the activity you need to be in shape for. I looked at some pic's through the years. When I was running a Caveman Crawl, backpacking at elevation, weightlifting, packing deer out in Texas or s ski trip I trained differently and looked very different as a result.

Overall deer lease fitness...........gotta build up my bird legs for walking up and down steep hills. I've missed leg day the last 10 years.

I hate leg and core, I just can’t get into it lol. I’d rather work shoulders, chest, back and arms

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: How Strong are you [Re: jskin] #9014714 03/04/24 03:35 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by jskin

I hate leg and core, I just can’t get into it lol. I’d rather work shoulders, chest, back and arms

Planks. Get some good music going, and don't watch the clock. Van Halen is good, just see how many songs you can go for a while. A lot more fun than watching a clock. After a few months, start watching the clock.

Re: How Strong are you [Re: 10 Gauge] #9014844 03/04/24 07:58 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

that's how i want you guys to go too.

Re: How Strong are you [Re: Hudbone] #9014866 03/04/24 08:22 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Hudbone

My dad found his Lt. dead next to a great buck he had shot and had obviously started to field dress.

Re: How Strong are you [Re: Hudbone] #9014891 03/04/24 09:30 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

So how are you going? leather jorts and double fisting antique mugs with germania origin beer?

Re: How Strong are you [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9014894 03/04/24 09:42 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
So how are you going? leather jorts and double fisting antique mugs with germania origin beer?

Dunno, but if Wifeypoo ever says I shot myself, check her hands for powder residue.

Re: How Strong are you [Re: Hudbone] #9014895 03/04/24 09:44 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Dunno, but if Wifeypoo ever says I shot myself, check her hands for powder residue.

lol, I think you are safe

Re: How Strong are you [Re: Hudbone] #9014909 03/04/24 10:08 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

roflmao

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: How Strong are you [Re: Hudbone] #9015012 03/05/24 02:35 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

roflmao

Re: How Strong are you [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9015279 03/05/24 07:02 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

Montana is not as bad as CO, you dont have the extreme altitude to contend with . My advice, bike and ruck. The ruck conditions your feet. Tougher your feet better off you will be, After that its just one foot in front of the other. Dont forget hardcast pistol ammo

I just want to put on the record that the physical difference between 700 foot above sea level and 6-8000 above sea level is a big difference. Yes, going up to 10-12K is not any fun, but for a lowlander as most texans are, even going to 6000 feet is a change they have to be ready for. Altitude sickness is not as big a concern, really no concern at all, until above 8000, but the physical demands of 6-7000 feet are still real. Albeit, not as bad as CO typical altitudes noted by BOBO

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide