Page 1 of 2 1 2
Colorado Mule Deer #9011519 02/26/24 03:35 PM
J
JTS Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
I currently have 6 points for Colorado mule deer. I am considering trying to draw a tag and hunt with an outfitter this coming fall. Is 6 points enough to draw in a decent unit?

Outfitter recommendations would be appreciated.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: JTS] #9011538 02/26/24 04:10 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Q
6 points may not do it. In some areas tags are being reduced because of winter kill and the new rules reduce non res tags to 25% ftom 35%. I am just putting in for points this year

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: JTS] #9011570 02/26/24 04:52 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
The short answer to your question is yes. My buddy drew a good GMU with 4 points last year. It is true that these new NR allocations will make it harder for NR to draw though.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: JTS] #9011577 02/26/24 04:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by JTS
I currently have 6 points for Colorado mule deer. I am considering trying to draw a tag and hunt with an outfitter this coming fall. Is 6 points enough to draw in a decent unit?

Outfitter recommendations would be appreciated.

yes, Colorado doesn’t have a unit not capable of a 200 deer. Go hunt, and hunt as much as you can

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #9011580 02/26/24 04:59 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
6 points may not do it. In some areas tags are being reduced because of winter kill and the new rules reduce non res tags to 25% ftom 35%. I am just putting in for points this year

I wasnt supposed to draw Bosque tag for another 6 years…. I was using it as PP choice to draw my second…. surprise surpise

I will never have more then 4 pts in CO again, Im hunting

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: JTS] #9012883 02/29/24 06:10 AM
B
Bowduckfisher Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Don't build a bunch of points for mule deer in Colorado. There are 200" deer in just about every unit in CO. You can probably draw at least 80% of CO mule deer units with 6 points. I would concentrate my research and efforts on what unit to apply for a 4th season tag. It's been rumored that the 4th season will be moved earlier in November or go away. I'd get on it pretty soon. I think there's only another year or 2 left in the current 5 year season structure. Probably just stay away from the Northwest corner of the state due to winter kill last year. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: Bowduckfisher] #9013127 02/29/24 07:37 PM
B
Buschy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I believe the next 5-year big game season structure starts in 2025.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: JTS] #9013718 03/02/24 02:40 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
In 10 years the deer will be history in northern part of the state. Wolves will see to that.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: bp3] #9013724 03/02/24 03:12 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by bp3
In 10 years the deer will be history in northern part of the state. Wolves will see to that.

Alberta and BC have some of the biggest mule deer in the world. They have and always had wolves.

Gonna be interesting to see how Colorado deer are gonna react. My hope is that wolves never gain more than a minimal foothold in Colorado.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: JTS] #9014066 03/03/24 03:05 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Alberta and BC are allowed to control the wolves,the flaky gov and his hubby are Peta big time, they put them on state land because they wouldn't have to get approval from the feds which might take time. Hunted many years on flat top north of Eagle and the ranchers say that Denver area is only way it passed and by a very small percentage. Can't wait until they show up in Estes park and Boulder bang

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9014091 03/03/24 03:39 AM
T
TXNMHunter Online Content
Light Foot
Online Content
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I wasnt supposed to draw Bosque tag for another 6 years…. I was using it as PP choice to draw my second…. surprise surpise

Kill anything good?

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: TXNMHunter] #9014183 03/03/24 02:10 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TXNMHunter

Kill anything good?

saw three mature deer in 5 days and killed one of them. all 160 or <. I did see some giants on XTO and the Hill though. Ton of mule deer, just was missing the upper age class. saw lots of cat tracks.

Did see some stud bulls and lots of bears also

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: txtrophy85] #9014184 03/03/24 02:11 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by bp3

Alberta and BC have some of the biggest mule deer in the world. They have and always had wolves.

Gonna be interesting to see how Colorado deer are gonna react. My hope is that wolves never gain more than a minimal foothold in Colorado.

those giant mule deer are on Ag, where the Wolves get handled pretty well. Go to Banff and try to find a big bull or mulie outside of town or the golf course. It gets slim pickings

Colorado is going to get hammered pretty hard.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 03/03/24 02:36 PM.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9014254 03/03/24 04:24 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by bp3

those giant mule deer are on Ag, where the Wolves get handled pretty well. Go to Banff and try to find a big bull or mulie outside of town or the golf course. It gets slim pickings

Colorado is going to get hammered pretty hard.

[Linked Image]

Thats ugly.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: JTS] #9015066 03/05/24 06:25 AM
R
Ridn9high Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
From the proposed 5 year plan, looks like they will be going back to something similar to the 15-19 structure plan. Seasons won’t be as late, 3rd season will be 9 days again and 4th season will end the weekend before thanksgiving. These late season rut hunts were not good on the mature bucks. I’ve had good deer tags in my pocket each season from 15’-23’(thanks to the reissue) and a lot has changed with the deer and not in a positive way.

6 points will get you a good hunt. I’d pass on the 4th season as it’s only 5 days and with 6 points you will be in a lower caliber unit, unless the outfitter has good private. Id look at 2nd or 3rd season and keep your fingers crossed for snow and cold. If you decid to go DIY and not with an outfitter, shoot me a PM. You can have a great hunt doing it yourself

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: JTS] #9028309 04/02/24 08:43 PM
B
Buschy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
FWIW, my advice would be to use your PPs in CO as soon as possible. The landscape here will look much different in five and ten years thank to wolves.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: JTS] #9028335 04/02/24 09:20 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Heard from an Outfitter friend of mine in Colorado. His opinion is, the tree huggers are trying very hard to eventually stop hunting in Colorado. He had 15,000 acres of good MD country and hasn't been able to get a landowner tag for years. This is coming from him...folks have elected people to eventually stop or slow down hunting in Colorado.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: JTS] #9028349 04/02/24 09:51 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The anti hunters don't care about what ultimately happens to the animals, they just don't want them to be hunted. Eaten by wolves, die of drought or starvation, its all good, as long as death does not come at the end of an arrow or by bullet

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: txtrophy85] #9028536 04/03/24 01:11 PM
B
buck wild Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
The anti hunters don't care about what ultimately happens to the animals, they just don't want them to be hunted. Eaten by wolves, die of drought or starvation, its all good, as long as death does not come at the end of an arrow or by bullet

This is the TRUTH. I just rewatched that 60 Minute segment from 12 yrs ago about the Three Amigos in Texas back then a and the the animal rights lady interviewed basically said the same thing. She'd rather they all die and go extinct than even one be killed by hunting even if hunting was keeping them preserved.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: buck wild] #9028540 04/03/24 01:18 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Originally Posted by buck wild

This is the TRUTH. I just rewatched that 60 Minute segment from 12 yrs ago about the Three Amigos in Texas back then a and the the animal rights lady interviewed basically said the same thing. She'd rather they all die and go extinct than even one be killed by hunting even if hunting was keeping them preserved.

That lady was bat chit crazy.

Hilarious that she said that on national tv.

That 60 minutes interview actually went our way in the end.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: buck wild] #9028542 04/03/24 01:23 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by buck wild

Yelp the fire sale days of scimitar oryx. I got my wife one.

CO wildlife commission is almost all Anti-hunters now. State congress just blocked last two appointees though so maybe they are waking up some.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: Stompy] #9028640 04/03/24 04:31 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Stompy
Heard from an Outfitter friend of mine in Colorado. His opinion is, the tree huggers are trying very hard to eventually stop hunting in Colorado. He had 15,000 acres of good MD country and hasn't been able to get a landowner tag for years. This is coming from him...folks have elected people to eventually stop or slow down hunting in Colorado.

He owns 15,000 acres and can't get a landowner tag? That doesn't sound correct at all unless he is in a unit that only doles out single digit deer tags. Landowners qualify for up to 10% of the allotted tags.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9028649 04/03/24 04:46 PM
G
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G

CO wildlife commission is almost all Anti-hunters now. State congress just blocked last two appointees though so maybe they are waking up some.

It's insane when you look at their bios. Of the 12 Commission members, only 3 specifically state that they are hunters or are concerned about hunter welfare. There may be others, but they don't state that. Five are concerned with ranching/farming, 1 biology, 1 DEI, and 2 wildlife protection.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: Gringo Bling] #9028658 04/03/24 04:57 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling

It's insane when you look at their bios. Of the 12 Commission members, only 3 specifically state that they are hunters or are concerned about hunter welfare. There may be others, but they don't state that. Five are concerned with ranching/farming, 1 biology, 1 DEI, and 2 wildlife protection.

those last two where bad news, glad Hunters got loud enough for someone to hear them… this time. I think Res push back on NR is going to bite them badly in long run.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9028722 04/03/24 06:26 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling

those last two where bad news, glad Hunters got loud enough for someone to hear them… this time. I think Res push back on NR is going to bite them badly in long run.

The anti -non-resident agenda is gonna end up biting them bad.

The only reason places like Colorado exist is so Texans have a place to come spend their money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide