Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Worst lease member you have experienced #9012802 02/29/24 01:02 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Have run an awesome lease for many years. I have had to try to find good hunters and members. I went through a pretty stringent process to find a new member if we needed to find someone new.

I Always met with them face to face. Then I did a background check on them (I know........ a little overboard but I want to know who this person is that is going to be living with all of us for a 3 month season). I learned that many folks can talk the talk but not walk the walk.

Overall, the vast majority of the new members we added ended up being awesome people and members. But there are always exceptions.

Our worst one??? I let a guy join us and all he did all season was bitch about everything. Guy signed a lease agreement that outlined all of the rules and requirements but from the get go he started bitching.

So at the end of the season I sent an email out to all members asking who planned on coming back for the next season. This guy emails me that even though he was very disappointed with the lease and the deer he would give it one more year.

LOL - I emailed him back and said "no SIr - if you are not happy then we do not want you to return. So you are not invited back for next season period. Goodbye.

Next thing I know I get a certified letter from his attorney asking for his buy in money back. So I sent a copy of the lease agreement that this member signed stating there are no refunds -never heard another word.

In closing - the vast majority of our lease members over many years have been awesome people who I remain friends with - but every once in awhile a bad apple shows up. If one does on your lease then fire them.

And to those here who say do not lease but just buy your own ranch - I respect that. I owned my own ranch but sold it and found this lease which I would not trade for - to each his own

You can't fix stupid
Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012805 02/29/24 01:07 AM
M
Mr. 806 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
M
Nothing too crazy, just the typical lazy SOB’s, don’t help mow, rarely feed and leave trash everywhere. Same guys show up every opening weekend and gripe they don’t see much.

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012808 02/29/24 01:11 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Too much pressure to kill a deer not for me. I understand you have to have rules and everyone get along.
I bought my own place and glad I did.

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012817 02/29/24 01:29 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I'm so glad I finally found a group of ex-cons with anger issues and totally disrespectful to women & children... grin Just kidding, they're the best.

On a serious note though, thinking back.....I think the one that always stuck with me the most was the "lease manager" on a place in Duval County. I was working at a plant in Corpus, didn't have a deer lease that year, and this guy had a last minute spot available for cheap. No time to set up my own camp etc so this older fellow offered for me to stay in his converted school bus (it was actually pretty nice). I offered to pay him for that but he declined, so OK. His buss got robbed (illegals) and he calls me at 11 pm on a work night ripping me a new [censored] because I was the last one there and it had to be me that stold his stuff. Talk about gettin' the blood pressure up. The more words I said to him on the phone the more angry and louder he got and I don't like getting yelled at, I hung up the phone. This was right before Christmas and he had told me about every item that was missing from his buss. I went and bought everything that was stolen from him, wrapped it up myself with bowes & everything, drove to his house and placed all by his front door with a card that read "Thank you Sir for letting me stay in your really cool camp house. I don't steal. Merry Christmas".

Never got a thank you.

Some people are just f'd up.

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012819 02/29/24 01:34 AM
C
Chubbyfarts Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Just the drunks & tweakers

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012826 02/29/24 01:58 AM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Only bad member problem I ever had was with the lease manager on a place near Huntsville. I left mid-season.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012833 02/29/24 02:10 AM
J
jskin Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
When I was kid my dad busted our property owner bringing his buddies in during the week. My dad made an unexpected mid week trip lol

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: Mr. 806] #9012836 02/29/24 02:18 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mr. 806
Nothing too crazy, just the typical lazy SOB’s, don’t help mow, rarely feed and leave trash everywhere. Same guys show up every opening weekend and gripe they don’t see much.

I'm not sure I'd call that lazy (except the trash part). If I were to ever be on a lease, I'm under the impression my fees are going towards the owner keeping the place up. If not, I would ask for a reduction in the fee. Free access is a situation where I'd be glad to help.

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012841 02/29/24 02:29 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
popcorn

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012854 02/29/24 02:57 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Glad I have my own place and we don't lease.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012863 02/29/24 03:56 AM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Some dude from Dallas that constantly wore camo face paint and took his shirt off to rub some kind of scent crap on himself before every hunt. When he wasn't doing that he was trying to sell everyone insurance. Weird mofo, I left that lease.

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tenyearsgone] #9012866 02/29/24 04:04 AM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tenyearsgone

I'm not sure I'd call that lazy (except the trash part). If I were to ever be on a lease, I'm under the impression my fees are going towards the owner keeping the place up. If not, I would ask for a reduction in the fee. Free access is a situation where I'd be glad to help.

You lost me since I’ve never had a turnkey lease where I just show up to hunt. Frankly, I’d be sad I was missing out on a good part of the fun

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012870 02/29/24 04:07 AM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Had a couple Dbags get wasted and decided to shoot a bunch of pigs the land owner had trapped to take to market. Just left them to rot in the pen for an 80yr old man to deal with. Being lease manager my azz got the chewing. I ended up paying for his loss and kicking the idiots off the lease.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012871 02/29/24 04:24 AM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Had a quail after deer lease years ago. Lease specifically restricted deer hunters and the owner from hunting quail or training dogs on the property. We showed up for the first day we were allowed to quail hunt and had birds flushing 40 years ahead of the dogs and found new shotgun hulls, dog tracks, and boot prints all over the property.

We talked to the landowner and he told us that lease manager had been guiding hunts during the week.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: nak] #9012875 02/29/24 04:53 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by nak
Had a quail after deer lease years ago. Lease specifically restricted deer hunters and the owner from hunting quail or training dogs on the property. We showed up for the first day we were allowed to quail hunt and had birds flushing 40 years ahead of the dogs and found new shotgun hulls, dog tracks, and boot prints all over the property.

We talked to the landowner and he told us that lease manager had been guiding hunts during the week.

What was the outcome of that?

To be determined
Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012886 02/29/24 06:44 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Never experienced one. Main long term lease I was on for years there were a couple of us who traveled internationally for work a lot so could not help out or contribute often but we bought pallets of deer corn and protein to have them delivered for everyone. On occasion us travelers would pay a contractor to do certain things instead of us being there.

The other members understood it was not because we weren’t interested in helping. We were just gone, usually out of the country or just coming back and family time was important.

Property ended up selling to neighbor.

To be determined
Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tenyearsgone] #9012905 02/29/24 12:23 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by tenyearsgone

We are fortunate to have our LO fill our feeders, shred our senderos, etc. so that the members are not required to do so. Some of us still enjoy going down in the off season to do improvements but it is not required. We have community blinds.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: skinnerback] #9012906 02/29/24 12:24 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by skinnerback
popcorn

Hey the forum was pretty slow lately so I thought I would attempt to liven it up a little bolt

You can't fix stupid
Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012928 02/29/24 01:29 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
A guy who was subleasing without the landowner's knowledge or permission. Early into my fourth year of the lease, a guy shows up and claims he has the landowner's permission to hunt and will do so knowing it was currently leased. I would soon locate and contact the landowner and now I'm leasing the property directly from him. The landowner would later thank me before telling me had told the guy who showed up with the intention to hunt his land that he had only told him he would think about it. The landowner and I now stay in touch daily and have lunch about once a month.

Of course, the guy who was subleasing without the landowner's permission had to accuse me of "starting chit" by contacting the landowner.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/29/24 02:00 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012986 02/29/24 02:54 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Worst one was a guy that dated the landowner's daughter and hunted for free (never paid). He even set up a blind for his ex- stepson. He pulled in @10:30 pm with a trailer and blind on the Friday night before opening day and spent 2 hours setting it up in the middle of the 250 acres. A real POS. We were paying very little to hunt (300 bucks) so we didn`t complain. We found out that he was supposed to be paying but he never did. After 2 seasons, the landowner sent out a letter to everyone stated that he needed the $$ by a certain date or their spot would go to someone else. He never paid and we never saw him again and the sot was never filled. They just knew he didn`t have the money to pay for a spot. The landowner knew he was a POS but he had a daughter that he didn`t want to upset. He even said that if he showed up at any time to let him know.

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012991 02/29/24 03:03 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
LO son would show up on opening day with friends and think he would hunt in our blinds over our feeders. Ha!

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9012996 02/29/24 03:08 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
yawn

yep

anytime you have a bunch of men who don't really know each other that well, it's just a matter of time till somebody pizzes somebody off. it NEVER works.

I only hunt with friends. Even then I can't take more than a few days with them. I'm sure they feel the same about me too.

We had a guy(s) who would never show up on workdays, never showed up to help fill feeders and when it came time to cough up corn money, they disappeared. Always late getting their lease money paid. just a royal PITA.

THEN, they would bring all their broke down grills and junk from their homes.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: TurkeyHunter] #9013002 02/29/24 03:12 PM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted by nak

What was the outcome of that?

We got half our money back (only because of the land owner) and were allowed to finish out the season. Two of the four deer hunters on the lease did not renew because they felt if the lease manager could not be trusted on the quail hunting then they did not trust him on deer hunting. No idea if the landowner let him keep the lease.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: tlk] #9013007 02/29/24 03:21 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

The worst is the land owner that let's your team do all the work and improvements then kicks you off next season to lease to some others for more money.
No lease for me.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: Worst lease member you have experienced [Re: jskin] #9013011 02/29/24 03:27 PM
C
crazyal Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jskin
When I was kid my dad busted our property owner bringing his buddies in during the week. My dad made an unexpected mid week trip lol

We had more issues with the land owners or lease managers than any members. For
The quoted post above and other reasons

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide