Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9011064 02/25/24 05:46 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I knew a man who was working retail and going to college at the same time. He got a law degree and stayed in retail for years. I ask him about going to college and getting the degree when he stayed in retail for many years. He said he enjoyed what he was doing in retail but felt his college education gave him a better understanding of problems.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9011101 02/25/24 07:09 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Licensing is a horrible point of proof since any license is merely an excuse for taxation.

Indeed.

I can't speak to all licensing, but electrician absolutely requires this oversight. My stepson is a licensed Master and owns his electrical contracting company. I've seen the experience requirement, education and testing play out. Also required continuing education is a good thing. You don't want someone that simply calls themselves an electrician showing up.

Same experience here. My state license wasn't merely an excuse for taxation. It took a lot of training to acquire it and was absolutely required knowledge.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9011133 02/25/24 08:37 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’m thinking of the youngest daughter’s MiL as I ‘say’ this. The woman is stupid, and that’s not a joke. She has a PhD and simply can not run her life. A degree will not make you any smarter than you already are. She’s in her early 70’s. Owes about $250,000 in student loans still. A couple of years ago she sent thousands of dollars to some guy in the Middle East that said he loved her and needed airfare money to fly to be with her. My daughter and SIL are having to support her and manage her money for her. Just bought her a house so she’d have a place to live.

A degree or multiple degrees will not turn a loser into a winner. I can’t stand that woman. A complete idiot. Rant over…

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9011138 02/25/24 08:50 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: ntxtrapper] #9011150 02/25/24 09:17 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Licensing is a horrible point of proof since any license is merely an excuse for taxation.

Indeed.

I can't speak to all licensing, but electrician absolutely requires this oversight. My stepson is a licensed Master and owns his electrical contracting company. I've seen the experience requirement, education and testing play out. Also required continuing education is a good thing. You don't want someone that simply calls themselves an electrician showing up.

Same experience here. My state license wasn't merely an excuse for taxation. It took a lot of training to acquire it and was absolutely required knowledge.

Still, the person with the license is more important than the license, just like a degree. I know apprentices that I will take over a journeyman, any day. Some people cannot live up to the license they carry. The lazy guy that guessed on half of the test to get a 70%, carries the same license as the guy that works his butt off and got an 85%.
And continuing education is good, but these guys can always find a site with a four hour video that plays while they are on youtube.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9011203 02/25/24 10:48 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I know nurse practitioners that know more than most doctors but I want both of them to have a license. The discussion was about the license not being anything more than taxation by the state and I couldn’t disagree more.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: ntxtrapper] #9011408 02/26/24 12:22 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
The discussion was about the license not being anything more than taxation by the state and I couldn’t disagree more.

I didn't say by the State. It's an excuse for taxation by ANY organization that requires it. Licensing is a self-feeding moneymaker. I have a few licenses and I'm not offended by the facts. The notion that a license indicates skill and knowledge is laughable ... but it doesn't go the other way around. Just because a license (or degree) is not proof of proficiency doesn't mean that most license holders aren't skilled and knowledgeable, they likely are.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: RedRanger] #9011495 02/26/24 02:56 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Originally Posted by Indianation65
No, and overall, it may never was.

...------

Incorrect:

Many state boards and state licensing have requirements that require a college degree, most are professional licenses.

Heck to get your CPA you have to have your MPA, which pisses off my wife because they are seeing a decline in kids wanting to become accountants. That isn't the only reason why, other bureaucratic bs that factors into it.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Herbie Hancock] #9011542 02/26/24 04:14 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Originally Posted by Indianation65
No, and overall, it may never was.

...------

Incorrect:

Many state boards and state licensing have requirements that require a college degree, most are professional licenses.

Heck to get your CPA you have to have your MPA, which pisses off my wife because they are seeing a decline in kids wanting to become accountants. That isn't the only reason why, other bureaucratic bs that factors into it.

My daughter is a corporate CPA, they don’t know what they’re missing. She also went to McCombs as a few on here have mentioned. The RIGHT education pays dividends.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: GasGuzzler] #9011547 02/26/24 04:24 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
The notion that a license indicates skill and knowledge is laughable...

Case in point: a driver license.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9011561 02/26/24 04:35 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Indeed.

I fine CE for trade jobs are useless

It doen't teach you anything, just a money grab set up by the licensing authority.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: GasGuzzler] #9011562 02/26/24 04:38 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
The discussion was about the license not being anything more than taxation by the state and I couldn’t disagree more.

I didn't say by the State. It's an excuse for taxation by ANY organization that requires it. Licensing is a self-feeding moneymaker. I have a few licenses and I'm not offended by the facts. The notion that a license indicates skill and knowledge is laughable ... but it doesn't go the other way around. Just because a license (or degree) is not proof of proficiency doesn't mean that most license holders aren't skilled and knowledgeable, they likely are.

So, you’re fine with receiving service from a nurse who couldn’t pass NCLEX, doctor who failed the board exam, or lawyer who failed the bar?

Threads like this are nothing more than class warfare mostly on the part of those without degrees, disguised as genuine questions. They always go the same way with the same comments about how so and so’s cousin has a degree but uses a rock for an ID card because they’re so dumb. Then it’s about how a non degreed worker earns so much more without factoring in longer hours and wear on the body.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: tenyearsgone] #9011571 02/26/24 04:52 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by tenyearsgone

So, you’re fine with receiving service from a nurse who couldn’t pass NCLEX, doctor who failed the board exam, or lawyer who failed the bar?

Threads like this are nothing more than class warfare mostly on the part of those without degrees, disguised as genuine questions. They always go the same way with the same comments about how so and so’s cousin has a degree but uses a rock for an ID card because they’re so dumb. Then it’s about how a non degreed worker earns so much more without factoring in longer hours and wear on the body.

You said out loud what many notice; those that have not, more than happy to denegrate those with....As I said, not necessary but I'm not knocking those with or without. Many different ways to dress and skin a deer...

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9011598 02/26/24 05:34 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
This thread is laughable.

The median household income for Texas in 2022 was $73,000. That’s household not individual. I would be willing to bet that of the individual people making over 100k, over 50% do not have a college degree. Yes, hours and wear and tear, etc. we send far too many kids to college that have no business there.

It doesn’t matter how much schooling you have, you either have it or you don’t. You’ll either come out on top or always be complaining.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: wp75169] #9011602 02/26/24 05:38 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by wp75169

The median household income for Texas in 2022 was $73,000. That’s household not individual. I would be willing to bet that of the individual people making over 100k, over 50% do not have a college degree. Yes, hours and wear and tear, etc. we send far too many kids to college that have no business there.

It doesn’t matter how much schooling you have, you either have it or you don’t. You’ll either come out on top or always be complaining.

100%. The cream will always rise to the top.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: txtrophy85] #9011604 02/26/24 05:42 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

100%. The cream will always rise to the top.

I agree. And my son would be just fine I’m sure because he has that drive to succeed. But his first passion is law so I want him to see that through. If that don’t work, I don’t worry about him he will find his way

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9011610 02/26/24 05:56 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’m sure we do send many kids to college that won’t benefit from it. My best buddy in high school went to college for one year and passed only Bowling 101. And then he went to the oil fields, and he made a good life for himself. We sent our daughters to college for two reasons. The first was to get an education so that they could forever be self supporting. The second reason was that we wanted them to be able to take care of themselves in the event of divorce. A college education is simply one tool you can use to succeed in the world. Use it or don’t use it, but when someone says you need a degree to apply for this job, you can indeed apply for that job.

When I was in corporate America, I had folks without degrees that were well qualified to be promoted, but with no degree, they weren’t promotable. Really that made me mad, but I was told that “the rules are the rules”.

Here in the countryside, when I helped with high school tennis, I had many chances to talk with the kids on life after high school. The tennis kids were normally in the top 10 percent in their class. Most went off to college and some to technical school. But one of my favorite kids said he was just gonna stay here in town and take over his dad’s lawn mowing business. He said “I can make $20 an hour”. His dad, at 56 years old was a physical wreck. Just watching him walk was painful.

I used to tell the kids “you can work 40 years with your back, but 70 years with your mind, so use your mind to make a living”.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: GasGuzzler] #9011638 02/26/24 06:56 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

The state license is so that some nerd can't just wake up and announce "I'm a doctor" (and gives you medicine that kills you), "I'm a police officer" (and violates your civil rights) "I'm a lawyer" (and fails to represent you properly and you go to prison). The license is the best the state can do make sure there is minimum training required to possess the license and continued training to keep it. No, it doesn't mean the person is a Rockstar in that field but there have to minimums. If you think people can just do it own their own, we already tried that and had barbers performing surgery.

Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9011644 02/26/24 07:07 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I’ve always admitted that that I was over educated but under smart. I’ve learned a lot by doing stupid stuff and getting some hard, and often painful, lessons. Hold my beer and watch this type of stuff.

I was dang good on pool and poker. But I was taught by exceptional coaches(hustlers) who taught me that there was a game within the game. I no longer play either because, at 81 yoa, I no longer have an intellectual edge.

Now, I’m just Grandpa and Great Grandpa with arthritis and forgetfulness.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: wp75169] #9011672 02/26/24 08:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Depends on the industry, Leave the oil field, IT and trades out you have a point.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: 603Country] #9011680 02/26/24 08:44 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by 603Country

Here in the countryside, when I helped with high school tennis, I had many chances to talk with the kids on life after high school. The tennis kids were normally in the top 10 percent in their class. Most went off to college and some to technical school. But one of my favorite kids said he was just gonna stay here in town and take over his dad’s lawn mowing business. He said “I can make $20 an hour”. His dad, at 56 years old was a physical wreck. Just watching him walk was painful.

There was more to that story, I promise you....probably pressure from his family who didn't want him to do any better than they did.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9011704 02/26/24 09:30 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Hell No! It’s just an expensive indoctrination.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: Buzzsaw] #9011705 02/26/24 09:34 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
My best bud flunked out of UTSA, Arkansas, A&M and then Blinn. He was both a dog and a player. It was prior to the full computerization of school records and he kept applying as if a first timer. I think he was a millionaire somehwere near 25/26 and then retired at 31.

Last edited by Hudbone; 02/26/24 09:35 PM.
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: txtrophy85] #9011882 02/27/24 02:17 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by 603Country

There was more to that story, I promise you....probably pressure from his family who didn't want him to do any better than they did.

TxTro, is that sarcasm or a joke?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Is College necessary anymore? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9011894 02/27/24 02:51 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Depends on the industry, Leave the oil field, IT and trades out you have a point.

Yep. Almost all upper offshore Oil & Gas hands in Commissioning make > than 100k or 200k/year, working 6 months a year sometimes/normally. Most have no degrees, just lots of hands on field experience learning your stuff and using a brain that works. I've had to work with many "educated" young engineers and a few have been very beneficial with computer skills. Most are egotistical hard headed and worthless. I like young college educated engineers that understand that they bring something to the table, but open your ears....this ain't a book you can study and call yourself a pro. Our industry revolves around young folks that are smarter than us in a lot of ways, and old seasoned hands that have seen people die in the field and want to correct the reason's why....attitude means an awful lot.

I know a good Engineer when I see him. Unfortunately the title of engineer gets thrown around like hunting guides...

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide