Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9009994 02/23/24 02:57 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Originally Posted by Ramball36
I bet the air horn on my police siren could make you fall off

I have a full year riding almost daily, I can't remember any one honking at me, I do try to ride during the day while most people are at work

But it wouldn't bother me if someone pulled up behind me and blew a horn, I would just laugh and ride on, I don't let triggered people bother me, life is too short.

If Frisco Police caught someone blowing a airhorn at a biker, I am sure they would be cuffed and stuffed and get a visit to Frisco Jail for a short while.

I've felt that bicyclists seem to enjoy annoying motorists. Your post and subsequent comments are confirmation.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9009997 02/23/24 03:02 PM
D
DukeCigars Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Sounds like a great idea....let me ride my bike down miles of paved roads meant for motor vehicles knowing that half or more of said drivers are distracted with their phones talking/texting/messing with radio or navigation or fighting and screaming at each other, not watching the road.....

You deserve to get run over. GTF off the road. People like you cause wrecks.

Wrong:

How should bicyclists ride on the road?
State law generally treats a bicycle as a vehicle with the same rights and duties as a car. State law states that a bicyclist can ride down the middle of the lane if the lane is narrower than 14 feet wide. This is not considered “impeding traffic” even on a road with only one lane in each direction. State law also allows bicyclists to ride 2 abreast in a single lane. Side by side bicyclists are considered to be impeding traffic if they take up 2 lanes on the roadway, but not if they take up a single lane that is narrower than 14 feet wide. Most roads have lanes that are narrower than 14 feet, but as our major roadways are widened to 6 lanes, we will provide an outside lane that is 14 feet wide so that bicycles can ride to the right according to State law. Motorists should always ensure that there is a 3-foot separation between their car and a bicyclist they are passing.Riding Bikes in Frisco

There’s the law and then there’s just being a [censored]

Last edited by DukeCigars; 02/23/24 03:02 PM.

Car guy. Serial entrepreneur. Terrible golfer.
Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9010010 02/23/24 03:18 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

I have a full year riding almost daily, I can't remember any one honking at me, I do try to ride during the day while most people are at work

But it wouldn't bother me if someone pulled up behind me and blew a horn, I would just laugh and ride on, I don't let triggered people bother me, life is too short.

If Frisco Police caught someone blowing a airhorn at a biker, I am sure they would be cuffed and stuffed and get a visit to Frisco Jail for a short while.

I've felt that bicyclists seem to enjoy annoying motorists. Your post and subsequent comments are confirmation.

I don't think any bike riders wants to annoy motorist, I have never seen that, they just want to enjoy thier sport and do it in a safe environment

I used to give them a good cussing to myself when I saw them riding.

Now I fully understand why they use streets, it is so much safer riding on a street than trying to ride on sidewalk

If you going down major roads the poeple would run you over at the intersections if you used the sidewalks

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: DukeCigars] #9010014 02/23/24 03:22 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by DukeCigars
Sounds like a great idea....let me ride my bike down miles of paved roads meant for motor vehicles knowing that half or more of said drivers are distracted with their phones talking/texting/messing with radio or navigation or fighting and screaming at each other, not watching the road.....

Wrong:

State law generally treats a bicycle as a vehicle with the same rights and duties as a car. State law states that a bicyclist can ride down the middle of the lane if the lane is narrower than 14 feet wide. This is not considered “impeding traffic” even on a road with only one lane in each direction. State law also allows bicyclists to ride 2 abreast in a single lane. Side by side bicyclists are considered to be impeding traffic if they take up 2 lanes on the roadway, but not if they take up a single lane that is narrower than 14 feet wide. Most roads have lanes that are narrower than 14 feet, but as our major roadways are widened to 6 lanes, we will provide an outside lane that is 14 feet wide so that bicycles can ride to the right according to State law. Motorists should always ensure that there is a 3-foot separation between their car and a bicyclist they are passing.Riding Bikes in Frisco

There’s the law and then there’s just being a [censored]

Frisco is a different animal when it comes to living here, it is designed for families. In my old city I lived in you would be a fool trying to ride bikes on the streets.

Up here we have fairly light traffic and expansive and new roads, it a modern built city designed for bikes.

I have enjoyed my time living up here, it is really a neat city to live in.

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9010019 02/23/24 03:28 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

I don't think any bike riders wants to annoy motorist, I have never seen that, they just want to enjoy thier sport and do it in a safe environment

Now I fully understand why they use streets, it is so much safer riding on a street than trying to ride on sidewalk

If you going down major roads the poeple would run you over at the intersections if you used the sidewalks

Only if you failed to yield to oncoming traffic while entering the roadway.

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9010063 02/23/24 04:43 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R

If you going down a sidewalk there is a very good chance you will get hit by a car entering from a residential area onto a major street.

They can't and won't see you if you are riding on a sidewalk, it is a 100% safer riding on the street.

That is why you ride you bike on the street and not sidewalk

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9010080 02/23/24 05:09 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

If you going down a sidewalk there is a very good chance you will get hit by a car entering from a residential area onto a major street.

They can't and won't see you if you are riding on a sidewalk, it is a 100% safer riding on the street.

Do you also load and unload your gear in the boat ramp because it is legal to do so?

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 02/23/24 05:12 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: Smokey Bear] #9010103 02/23/24 05:43 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

Do you also load and unload your gear in the boat ramp because it is legal to do so?

Gear?

I have a bassboat, all my gear is in the boat and stays in the boat.

All I have to at a ramp, is remove the motor toter and then back the boat up into the water.

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9010126 02/23/24 06:03 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
I see both sides of this debate. First off, any cyclist over the age of 13 should not be riding on a sidewalk. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. By and large, roads in the US are intended for motor vehicles, not bicycles. That being said, cyclists do have a right to the road. When they are on the road, they need to obey the same rules that motorists have. That's where cyclists get a bad reputation (and deservedly so). They very rarely stop at stop signs. Even when it's my turn to advance from a stop sign, they will yell and throw their hands up like because they are wanting to cruise through without stopping. That's where I have a problem. Or on 2-lane streets, when a whole peloton is taking up the both lanes impeding vehicles behind them from passing. There are plenty of groups that are seemingly looking for confrontation.

And then there are other groups that ride single file and generally stay out of the way of others. Or they'll go early weekend mornings on less travelled roads instead of the middle of the day in on busy roads. That's how it should be and kudos to those riders.

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9010134 02/23/24 06:16 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

Gear?

I have a bassboat, all my gear is in the boat and stays in the boat.

All I have to at a ramp, is remove the motor toter and then back the boat up into the water.

We’ll be careful who’s buttons you push Ranger. Bicycle vs. automobile is a mighty dangerous game of chicken.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 02/23/24 06:25 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9010164 02/23/24 07:15 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I may be wrong, but I believe traffic laws apply to bikes when biking on the road. If so your cheeky "none" is wrong.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: Mickey Moose] #9010228 02/23/24 09:39 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
I may be wrong, but I believe traffic laws apply to bikes when biking on the road. If so your cheeky "none" is wrong.

That is correct. I never gave them much static unless they were being unreasonable. They are at quite a disadvantage in an accident. That being said though, there’s always that one prick. His bicycle went to the auto pound on a wrecker and he got to go to jail in bicycle shorts. A few days later he went to my office and apologized for his behavior.

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: ntxtrapper] #9010231 02/23/24 09:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

That is correct. I never gave them much static unless they were being unreasonable. They are at quite a disadvantage in an accident. That being said though, there’s always that one prick. His bicycle went to the auto pound on a wrecker and he got to go to jail in bicycle shorts. A few days later he went to my office and apologized for his behavior.

I had one run a stop light on hwy 26(45mph speed limit). He almost went splat, as he acted like the hwy should of yielded to him.

He needed a good tazing

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9010251 02/23/24 10:39 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

I had one run a stop light on hwy 26(45mph speed limit). He almost went splat, as he acted like the hwy should of yielded to him.

He needed a good tazing

He was looking for a fight so I gave him one. If it had played out later in my career, I wouldn’t have let myself get goaded into it.

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9010261 02/23/24 10:55 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

The cars are on the sidewalks? I don't think so, a bike rider leaves the sidewalk and enters the road way.

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9010323 02/24/24 12:25 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Wrong:

There are laws, and there are laws of physics.
25 pound bike, 190 pound rider vs 6000 pound Super Duty, or maybe a simple 3000 pound Civic, figure it out.
There is dead right and there is right but dead.
This reminds me of every motorcyclist that I have known, every one of them, no exceptions. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9010527 02/24/24 01:02 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R

The cars are on the sidewalks? I don't think so, a bike rider leaves the sidewalk and enters the road way.

Try to read and comprehend.

If you go down any major road in my area, if you look at the stop sign and the stop line it is way behind the sidewalk on all the residential streets. Thus making your line of vision be on the street. Sidewalks are for walking thus is the reason they are called sidewalks.

If you tried to ride on sidewalk it would be very very unsafe plus cars tend to block the right of way if one tried to ride on the sidewalk.

Bike move at a fast rate, that is the way they are designed, the faster you go the more upright they stay, thus making the street the safest most for bikers, and keeping them in the line of vision of a motorist.

Riding a bike on sidewalk is not safe, thankfully in Frisco they have all sidewalks have cut out at the curbs at all streets, I know older cities still have curbs around each intersections.

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: Simple Searcher] #9010529 02/24/24 01:06 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher

Wrong:

25 pound bike, 190 pound rider vs 6000 pound Super Duty, or maybe a simple 3000 pound Civic, figure it out.
This reminds me of every motorcyclist that I have known, every one of them, no exceptions. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.

Thus the reason you alway ride with the flow of traffic and stay on the street and use the right lane. See you just proved my point why bikes are made for the street.

Not all cities have streets designed for bike riders, but more modern cities like Frisco is built bike friendly.

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: Mickey Moose] #9010532 02/24/24 01:13 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R

Bike follow under the Texas Transportation Code

Sec. 551.103. OPERATION ON ROADWAY. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway, unless:

(1) the person is passing another vehicle moving in the same direction;

(2) the person is preparing to turn left at an intersection or onto a private road or driveway;

(3) a condition on or of the roadway, including a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, pedestrian, animal, or surface hazard prevents the person from safely riding next to the right curb or edge of the roadway; or

(4) the person is operating a bicycle in an outside lane that is:

(A) less than 14 feet in width and does not have a designated bicycle lane adjacent to that lane; or

(B) too narrow for a bicycle and a motor vehicle to safely travel side by side.

(b) A person operating a bicycle on a one-way roadway with two or more marked traffic lanes may ride as near as practicable to the left curb or edge of the roadway.

(c) Persons operating bicycles on a roadway may ride two abreast. Persons riding two abreast on a laned roadway shall ride in a single lane. Persons riding two abreast may not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on the roadway. Persons may not ride more than two abreast unless they are riding on a part of a roadway set aside for the exclusive operation of bicycles.

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9010533 02/24/24 01:15 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Frisco is proud to be a Bicycle Friendly Community with The League of American Bicyclists! The City of Frisco's dedicated bike-ways include bike lanes, designated routes, multi-use paths and off-road soft surface biking trails.

Frisco Bike Friendly

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9010536 02/24/24 01:24 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I appreciate you passion for bike riding and I hope you continue to do so safely. But I have seen a lot of white bikes in my travels and no doubt they could quote the law to. If things go wrong, it isn't good.
Be safe sir

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: Simple Searcher] #9010540 02/24/24 01:35 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Wrong:

Yeah that Superduty would crumple... grin bolt

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9010544 02/24/24 01:37 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Fond memories of driving in the Malibu, Santa Monica area when I lived there in 1981. Probably gave a few bicyclist hemorrhoid's laugh
Way back then those arrogant A-Holes thought they owned the road, wrong buffalo breath!

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: Simple Searcher] #9010560 02/24/24 02:02 PM
R
RedRanger Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
I appreciate you passion for bike riding and I hope you continue to do so safely. But I have seen a lot of white bikes in my travels and no doubt they could quote the law to. If things go wrong, it isn't good.
Be safe sir

You got to live life, you can't live life scared. I have done it my way my whole life and enjoy taking risk in life, as they say no risk no rewards.

I find bike riding in my area very safe, plus they have many hike and bike trails as well you can ride to and explore all over the place.

Re: Rules On Bike Riding [Re: RedRanger] #9010614 02/24/24 03:15 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Common sense is lacking these days!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide