possom813 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
P
I got a toll bill today from Austin with a tag number that isn't mine

I haven't been to Austin in over 2 years

The tag is MLZ9490

I don't have that tag in anything. Can anyone tell me what kind of vehicle it is to see if it might be one I sold?

I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008755 02/21/24 01:22 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
zoro

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008756 02/21/24 01:24 AM
J
jetdad Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Just call the Tollway Authority and they will take care of it. They can give you a picture or you can pull it up on their website. I got a toll from California for my motorcycle. I've not been to Cali in years and the motorcycle never has. It was a car and they took it off immediately.

Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008778 02/21/24 02:15 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Good luck with the toll authority. We sold a car a few years ago. We got a bill from the North Tx Toll Road authority for $29 soon after that. The car buyer had run up a small tab. We called the anuthority and told them we had sold it, and sent a copy of the bill of sale. They said don’t worry about it, it has been removed. Next month another bill with late fee charges included. We called them again. Don’t worry about it they said. Next month a new bill with more late fees. Finally we just paid the dang thing. A few months later we got a letter saying that we had not needed to pay, and they’d refund the money, which they never did.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008788 02/21/24 02:45 AM
M
machinist Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
M
It will be a cold day before I would pay a toll that wasn’t mine

some people like silver and gold
I like brass and lead with a little powder in between
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008792 02/21/24 02:55 AM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
My experience is like 603country from above--the toll road authority are the BIGGEST criminals you will ever have the misfortune of dealing with.. I'd rather hand my credit card to a Russian mobster, than deal with those IMBECILES...

Like mentioned above-I sold a car.. Had the guy fill out the "Application for title" otherwise known as the Form 130-U which I kept a copy of with his signature.. Months later I start getting bills-I send them a copy of the Form 130-U proving I sold the car.. I even sent them a copy of his drivers license, and also a copy of a signed BILL OF SALE from the same date.. THEY DO NOT CARE... They kept hounding me and so I finally paid them off just to get them off my back.. The employees are a great combination of "late stage bill collector" and special needs short bus riders.

I recently bought a truck and tried to add an EZ Tag to the truck.. I called, they said "you cannot add an EZ Tag to the vehicle as someone else still has one assigned to the truck". I told them the truck is registered in MY NAME-I just kept the plates.. they were adamant that I could not get an EZ Tag in my name until I, as in ME, tracked down the previous owner and got them to cancel their tag on the truck... I told the lady flat out, I will be driving the truck on the toll road and you guys will just have to figure it out.. she then replied we will bill BOTH you and the previous tag owner until someone gets it resolved properly. I told her-whatever you MORONS need to do, and then hung up. I'm sure to this day they are hounding the previous seller for tolls i have already paid.. No doubt in my mind at all.. .DUMB... DUMB people...

Last edited by Kawabuggy; 02/21/24 02:55 AM.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008802 02/21/24 03:12 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Just a note. Anytime I sell a vehicle the plates come off (I'm upfront on my add and too whoever is purchasing the car) and stay in my possession. I also log on to my Textag account and remove the car. There is also a form with DMV don't recall its name but have buyer fill it out and mail it in. I was burnt by family member once and that's not happening again.

Signature images may not be larger than 600 pixels wide by 125 pixels tall. That smile says it all
[North Dakota -16degrees

"Things may come to those who wait, but only those things left by those who hustle."
- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: 10pointers] #9008835 02/21/24 04:17 AM
C
Concho Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by 10pointers
Just a note. Anytime I sell a vehicle the plates come off (I'm upfront on my add and too whoever is purchasing the car) and stay in my possession. I also log on to my Textag account and remove the car. There is also a form with DMV don't recall its name but have buyer fill it out and mail it in. I was burnt by family member once and that's not happening again.

You can actually report the sale online, my wife sold a truck once, I reported the sale to the State, guy never changed the titled, moved to Florida and ran tolls up all over Florida...took me over a year to straighten it all out. Don't leave your tags on the vehicle, this isn't 1950 and people's word doesn't mean squat, man's word was once his bond, not these days, con men and low life people abound.

Last edited by Concho; 02/21/24 04:21 AM.

Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008837 02/21/24 04:26 AM
S
spankyttx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
i received a toll bill 6 months ago on a car i sold the month before that, it had all my info and was the correct car but the photo had a different tag number, i called and told them the car was sold earlier, but when they looked it up, they said at the time it was still registered to me. i said that's impossible, i took my tags off before the car left my driveway and i still have my old tags. i received the pink late warning bill the next month and 2 weeks later received another toll bill that had my address with the new owners name on it. i didn't open those two . i just sent them back, return to sender, on one, i wrote not my tag number, and the other, no one here by that name. haven't seen anything else since. i was 100% positive they weren't mine because i haven't registered or driven that car in over two years and i don't use the tollways around here. plus i know for a fact the new owner registered it the very next morning

LI-SI-WI-NWI
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008843 02/21/24 05:07 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
In Texas the license plates are yours. If I ever sell a vehicle, I keep both plates. Been doing it that way for 30 years with no issues.

Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008846 02/21/24 05:39 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It's a scam.
I got a toll bill with my actual license plate in a photo, and everything but the plate was blacked out.
It was on my old truck that I hardly drive, and the toll was from the Dallas area and I haven't driven that truck outside of my city limits of SA.
I ignored it at first but they kept sending bills and increasing the amount double every time and threatening me that they could prevent me from renewing my registration until the bill was paid.
I finally called that office and gave the guy an ear full, and I haven't heard anything since, and that was three years ago.
Think about it, if they pull that on one in a thousand how much money they can make! Most will just pay it and move on!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: Kawabuggy] #9008847 02/21/24 06:09 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
special needs short bus riders.

No doubt in my mind at all.. .DUMB... DUMB people...

https://www.specialolympics.org/

Find a location where you can volunteer. Some years ago I was dragged to help having no interest whatsoever with these retarded short bus riders. It was a life changing experience.

To be determined
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: ntxtrapper] #9008848 02/21/24 06:14 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
In Texas the license plates are yours. If I ever sell a vehicle, I keep both plates. Been doing it that way for 30 years with no issues.

In addition to keeping your plates, there is a simple online form you are supposed to complete if you sell a vehicle. Your can even do it for trade-ins I believe.

https://webdealer.txdmv.gov/title/publicVehicleTransfer

If you do that it will make your life much easier.

To be determined
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: TurkeyHunter] #9008855 02/21/24 11:17 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

In addition to keeping your plates, there is a simple online form you are supposed to complete if you sell a vehicle. Your can even do it for trade-ins I believe.

Yup, I've done this on all my sold vehicles.

[Linked Image]
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: ntxtrapper] #9008857 02/21/24 11:21 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I just fill out the paperwork the Texas DMV has about selling a vehicle.

I had some idiot get on tollway after I sold and NTTA dismissed the tolls

Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: TurkeyHunter] #9008864 02/21/24 11:57 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Quite some time back we sold the wifes old Caddy, like dumbazz's we did not remove the license plates hammer
This was back when they had Red light cameras at intersections, the new owner liked to run Red lights and not pay the fines, imagine that bang

It took a little while to straighten out and was a pain in the backside to deal with!

Good info below on the right way to handle the sell of a vehicle and plates.

Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

texas Faith, Family and Freedom flag

Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008880 02/21/24 01:03 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Got a letter in mail about some bonehead hitting a power pole in car the dealer never took out of my name. Sent them copy of date car was traded to confirm it wasn't in my possion and it went away. Car dealer just flipped it for quick buck. Now I pull plates and delete from txdot system

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008916 02/21/24 01:57 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I got a toll bill a couple years ago for a car that I was towing on a car trailer. I told the NTTA to pound sand. I never paid.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: 10pointers] #9008944 02/21/24 02:39 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

Learned my lesson on leaving plates on a car. I thought that just filing the transfer form was good enough. Nope, just remove the plates. Sold a non running car to a guy. I figured he was going to just use it for parts. Ended up in an impound yard. They sent me a certified letter with a bill. It was a good thing I had a copy of the signed transfer form.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: Stump_jumper] #9008986 02/21/24 03:40 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stump_jumper

Learned my lesson on leaving plates on a car. I thought that just filing the transfer form was good enough. Nope, just remove the plates. Sold a non running car to a guy. I figured he was going to just use it for parts. Ended up in an impound yard. They sent me a certified letter with a bill. It was a good thing I had a copy of the signed transfer form.

You need to do more than just keeping the plates.

To be determined
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008987 02/21/24 03:41 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Yep, just wait until you get a ticket from a red light camera in a state you've never been to on a vehicle you've never owned. That little ordeal escalated all the way up to an arrest warrant. Finally had to sick "Guido the killer attorney" on them. Guido got it all cleared up and it turned out to be a database error. Stupid azz computers.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9008990 02/21/24 03:46 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I absolutely refuse to drive on a TR, have gone round and round with them years ago. I pulled a trailer for work way back when 121 went toll, they tried double billing , one ticket had the truck lp, the other bill had the trailer lp. One other time they threatened to pull my registration for non payment until I showed a copy of payment, like 6 months prior.

IIRC, they are managed by foreign companies, or that was what I was told, so probably not accurate.

If I was you, I'd make the call and see if it can be taken care of that way quick.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: possom813] #9009020 02/21/24 04:40 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
I never receive a bill until the 3rd notice with $35 in fees on a $7 toll.

Only travel a toll road about once per year. It's total bullsh

#sigline
Re: Got a toll bill from Austin. Haven't been in Austin [Re: Western] #9009025 02/21/24 04:49 PM
S
spankyttx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by Western
I absolutely refuse to drive on a TR, have gone round and round with them years ago. I pulled a trailer for work way back when 121 went toll, they tried double billing , one ticket had the truck lp, the other bill had the trailer lp. One other time they threatened to pull my registration for non payment until I showed a copy of payment, like 6 months prior.

IIRC, they are managed by foreign companies, or that was what I was told, so probably not accurate.

If I was you, I'd make the call and see if it can be taken care of that way quick.

i thought it was in the news here in dfw area where i heard that a china company was the one managing the new dfw toll roads too. it's also the reason i dont use the toll roads

LI-SI-WI-NWI
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide