Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9000585 02/06/24 01:15 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Jag’s arent for everyone, their lack of fear has no equal.

The Blue Heeler has an issue with your statement.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: J.G.] #9000589 02/06/24 01:23 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by J.G.
Jag’s arent for everyone, their lack of fear has no equal.

The Blue Heeler has an issue with your statement.

[Linked Image]

I grew with heelers, not even close. Jag all the way, and Im a chessie guy through and through

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: Brother in-law] #9000592 02/06/24 01:27 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I love a heeler dog.....never even heard of a jag until now...I like the look.

Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: skinnerback] #9000605 02/06/24 01:52 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The statement "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

I think they were talking about Blue Heelers.

When mine died 5 years ago, I was going to get another one. Wife wanted a German Shepherd as "an intimidating guard dog." I told her country folk know to give the Blue Heeler a wide birth.

But the German Shepherd turned out to be a top hand.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: Brother in-law] #9000614 02/06/24 02:06 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Thanks for all the input. This is a working cattle ranch in Old Mexico. I’m not sure how dog breeders etc work there but there are definitely a lot of choices. If a deer gets wounded there the brush is unforgiving.

Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: skinnerback] #9000620 02/06/24 02:11 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by skinnerback

They are tiny, But straight up killers. Hounds and heelers are great at keeping pressure on an animal. Jag isnt going for pressure, its going for the jugular.

They are slave to their prey drive though, They are also have a hell of a dry track nose for lions.

Not the dog you want when you have chickens, rabbits, Ducks etc.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9000630 02/06/24 02:35 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

They are tiny, But straight up killers. Hounds and heelers are great at keeping pressure on an animal. Jag isnt going for pressure, its going for the jugular.

They are slave to their prey drive though, They are also have a hell of a dry track nose for lions.

Not the dog you want when you have chickens, rabbits, Ducks etc.

Thanks for that. Wanna learn more about them.

Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: skinnerback] #9000639 02/06/24 02:50 AM
B
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Like an angry jack russel

Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: Brother in-law] #9000642 02/06/24 02:57 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Like an angry jack russel

Yes, but not mean just all business and no fear.

Problem with any tracking dog in mexico is getting it reps.

Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: Brother in-law] #9000661 02/06/24 03:35 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I asked my new friend that does about 70 to 100 tracks a year about what breed. This was his reply…
“Nothin full blood in my opinion! Need some hound and some other gamey dog such as cathoula, cur, etc “

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: Brother in-law] #9000663 02/06/24 03:40 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I've never met a Catahoula dog that I liked, but love a good Cur dog.

Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: freerange] #9000677 02/06/24 04:30 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by freerange
I asked my new friend that does about 70 to 100 tracks a year about what breed. This was his reply…
“Nothin full blood in my opinion! Need some hound and some other gamey dog such as cathoula, cur, etc “

When I was a little chit, one of the leases that my Dad was on in S Texas......there was a Siamese Cat of all things that would and did trail deer successfully. That's what they used that cat for. Family pet, then a bad azz tracking cat. You would have to see it to believe it. Bad azz cat.

Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: skinnerback] #9000827 02/06/24 02:49 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by freerange

When I was a little chit, one of the leases that my Dad was on in S Texas......there was a Siamese Cat of all things that would and did trail deer successfully. That's what they used that cat for. Family pet, then a bad azz tracking cat. You would have to see it to believe it. Bad azz cat.

That's incredible! Never heard of such a thing.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: Brother in-law] #9001678 02/08/24 01:19 AM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Jag terrier. Not a Jack Russell terrier

Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: J.G.] #9003672 02/11/24 07:47 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
The statement "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

When mine died 5 years ago, I was going to get another one. Wife wanted a German Shepherd as "an intimidating guard dog." I told her country folk know to give the Blue Heeler a wide birth.

I only ever met 1 Blue Heeler that was chill. Her brother though was one of them that you gave the wide birth to. We would have dozens of milk crates out at the farm literally everywhere. This Heeler had his favorite crate he carried around. When cleaning up around the campfire where these dozens of crates would be scattered, if you touched his crate he was going to bite your A$$! Craziest dog I ever been around.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: HornSlayer] #9003795 02/11/24 03:04 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HornSlayer

I only ever met 1 Blue Heeler that was chill. Her brother though was one of them that you gave the wide birth to. We would have dozens of milk crates out at the farm literally everywhere. This Heeler had his favorite crate he carried around. When cleaning up around the campfire where these dozens of crates would be scattered, if you touched his crate he was going to bite your A$$! Craziest dog I ever been around.

I had my female Heeler for several years before I met my wife. A few years later my step daughter and daughter were playing in the sandbox. My wife asked where the Heller was. I said "Where are those girls? You look over at them, and that dog is not going to be far away." Sure enough, that heeler was laying in the shade about eight feet from those little girls. It was her yard, and those were her people.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: J.G.] #9003884 02/11/24 06:13 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

I had my female Heeler for several years before I met my wife. A few years later my step daughter and daughter were playing in the sandbox. My wife asked where the Heller was. I said "Where are those girls? You look over at them, and that dog is not going to be far away." Sure enough, that heeler was laying in the shade about eight feet from those little girls. It was her yard, and those were her people.

That German Shepard of yours was the only dog of the 3 I couldn't make friends with when I was there alone one day. He wanted loving too, and bad, but just couldn't bring himself to trust me. Good dog, the other 2 are worthless at protecting your property. They were good alarms though, barked for a good bit before giving in to attention.

Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #9004081 02/12/24 01:07 AM
B
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Jag terrier. Not a Jack Russell terrier

I know what I said and I know the difference between a Jack Russell, a Jagd Terrier and your ” jag terrier “

Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: garyrapp55] #9004436 02/12/24 05:26 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by garyrapp55

That German Shepard of yours was the only dog of the 3 I couldn't make friends with when I was there alone one day. He wanted loving too, and bad, but just couldn't bring himself to trust me. Good dog, the other 2 are worthless at protecting your property. They were good alarms though, barked for a good bit before giving in to attention.

He was a goodun. Died too young. But I'm getting another one.

Wife wanted a guard dog, and he was one.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: Brother in-law] #9008317 02/20/24 06:13 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Thanks for all the input. This is a working cattle ranch in Old Mexico. I’m not sure how dog breeders etc work there but there are definitely a lot of choices. If a deer gets wounded there the brush is unforgiving.

I'm going to add a thought. You mentioned unforgiving brush and I assume there is cactus and cats-claw etc. I wouldn't recommend a GSP or other shorthaired dog. Most Short haired pointers have a lateral vein along the edge of the ear that when cut can breed buckets. Well bred Coonhounds will have this vein a 1/2" from the edge of the ear. Not sure about Lacey's or Winney dogs but I'm thinking they are more like coonhounds than Pointers. Anyway that's just something to consider.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: Texan Til I Die] #9008361 02/20/24 01:05 PM
J
jrfan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
You might consider a full sized Dachshund. Friend has one that turned into a great tracker and was almost completely self trained. About the only "training" they did was to get the dog to stay fairly close and not get too far ahead of the people.

It wasn’t his kill, but he claimed it!

[video:youtube]http://youtube.com/shorts/3mxvkbjSQEk?si=xd1pPFRMkQa3uV5h[/video]

[Linked Image]
Re: Tracking Dog Questions [Re: Brother in-law] #9008979 02/21/24 03:31 PM
C
CSD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Angler mgmt might weigh in on Jags as he breeds them. Funny story regarding Jags and chickens. Went to pick up our 2nd pup from AM. Went to pet his male dog and notice it had some type of blob/mess on or around its collar. Asked and was told that it was a chicken he had killed a week or 2 before. As punishment/training the carcass of the dead chicken had been zip tied to jags collar. Was told that he steered clear of chickens.

I have 2 female jags, sisters from different litters but same parents. The older, EZ, has no fear of anything to a fault. I have told my wife that she will not have a long life. I have watched her kill a racoon (she shook it so violently she snapped its neck), she has a nose like no other dog I've had and she has no stop in her. I've used her for squirrel hunting, rabbit hunting and she will flush quail (we raise and release for fun). I have not used her as a tracker but have no doubt she would be good. Last summer we were at the lake and she saw a loon in the water and off she went. I bet she swam 150+ yds chasing that dang thing before I finally got her to come back. She is truly a fun dog when we are out at our land or at the lake.

The younger sister, Angel, is a bit more reserve and methodical. We refer to her as the back up for EZ. Angel won't be the first one in but she will be right on EZ's heels. Angel is a bit stockier. Haven't had her out in the field as much but at the lake she is a water machine. loves the water and loves to retrieve a bumper in the water. Hope she will be my duck dog since I hunt small water.

They are some fun dogs, but as BOBO said they aren't for everyone.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide