ntxtrapper Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I didn’t know if you decided to stop seeing someone you were with casually you owed them an explanation?

I was causally seeing a girl when I met my wife. Girl no. 1 was awesome but no way on earth would it have been considered a long term plan. My now wife checked about every box. I didn’t ghost her, but would you have advised me to have a face to face conversation about how I found someone better and more compatable and expect her to understand?

Y’all crack me up. Everything on here is a complaint about something and the reason for the complaints are hilarious. This isn’t 1937, people,times and social norms evolve.

He described it as a "relationship", not someone you were with casually. Both of these terms are subjective. To me a relationship and someone I was with casually are very different. If I would have ended a relationship with someone there would have been a conversation. Someone I was seeing casually, no need. That's just me.

I don’t know of anyone in an actual relationship that ghosts someone. More likely all examples that are referenced are casual in nature but one party thinks it’s an actual “relationship”

I will agree that todays 20-something does not communicate in person as well as previous generations, but they have better tech skills.

The world is constantly evolving.

Tech savvy people with antisocial personality disorder. What a bright future we have.

Re: Ghosting [Re: 603Country] #9007734 02/18/24 11:34 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by 603Country
Ok, I did laugh. Never met the guy and apparently never will.

So it was an online relationship?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9007735 02/18/24 11:35 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I didn’t know if you decided to stop seeing someone you were with casually you owed them an explanation?

I was causally seeing a girl when I met my wife. Girl no. 1 was awesome but no way on earth would it have been considered a long term plan. My now wife checked about every box. I didn’t ghost her, but would you have advised me to have a face to face conversation about how I found someone better and more compatable and expect her to understand?

Y’all crack me up. Everything on here is a complaint about something and the reason for the complaints are hilarious. This isn’t 1937, people,times and social norms evolve.

He described it as a "relationship", not someone you were with casually. Both of these terms are subjective. To me a relationship and someone I was with casually are very different. If I would have ended a relationship with someone there would have been a conversation. Someone I was seeing casually, no need. That's just me.

I don’t know of anyone in an actual relationship that ghosts someone. More likely all examples that are referenced are casual in nature but one party thinks it’s an actual “relationship”

I will agree that todays 20-something does not communicate in person as well as previous generations, but they have better tech skills.

The world is constantly evolving.

Tech savvy people with antisocial personality disorder. What a bright future we have.

You realize you’re posting this on a social media platform don’t you? This is a tech centered website.

Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9007748 02/18/24 11:55 PM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
In the 80's everyone had answering machines and answering services that were used for the same purpose. I left the volume turned off on mine. Ghosting has been going on for a long time, it did not start with Millennials or Gen Z.

Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9007789 02/19/24 01:45 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

It’s not about expecting someone to understand. It’s about being a person who treats others as they would want to be treated. I think younger folks call it “Adulting” if you need a frame of reference.

Worth saying again.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Ghosting [Re: Smokey Bear] #9007812 02/19/24 02:25 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

It’s not about expecting someone to understand. It’s about being a person who treats others as they would want to be treated. I think younger folks call it “Adulting” if you need a frame of reference.

Worth saying again.

up

Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9007832 02/19/24 03:09 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
These younger generations are terrified of personal confrontation….but all into it if they can remain anonymous!

Just can’t deal with conflict…feelings are just too fragile!

Jes my observations

I believe you just nailed it.

up

[Linked Image]
Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9007889 02/19/24 12:32 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
[Linked Image]

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Ghosting [Re: Stub] #9007907 02/19/24 01:40 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Stub
[Linked Image]

While I agree 100%, what does that have to do with the topic of ghosting?

Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9007929 02/19/24 02:14 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Ghosting has been going on for a long time. It just seems more noticeable these days due to the increase in the number of communications. Years ago, you didn't really have time to call people every day, let alone multiple times per day. So when people faded that you hadn't talked to in a week or two, it didn't really get your attention. Now, if we text somebody and don't get a reply in minutes or call and don't get an answer, our response ranges from mild annoyance to full-on rage. We're immediately bent about it. You go from multiple texts a day, FB posts, and some calls to zero and the abruptness seems monumental.

Answer-as with the increased speed of everything else these days, so we've increased the speed of ghosting.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9007966 02/19/24 03:30 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yep, things have sped up. I remember exchanging letters with a girlfriend back in the 60’s. After a time of not hearing from her, I sent letters asking why. She finally responded and said she had quit writing to me because she got married. I guess that was ‘snail mail’ ghosting. And it appears that just maybe I wasn’t the #1 guy in her life. Ahhh, wimmin….

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Ghosting [Re: txtrophy85] #9008021 02/19/24 04:55 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Stub
[Linked Image]

While I agree 100%, what does that have to do with the topic of ghosting?

Nothing directly. However it does have some commonalities into the mindset of todays younger society!

BTW I have some...

Last edited by Stub; 02/19/24 05:04 PM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Ghosting [Re: ndhunter] #9008038 02/19/24 05:26 PM
T
TOM-M Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by ndhunter
In the 80's everyone had answering machines and answering services that were used for the same purpose. I left the volume turned off on mine. Ghosting has been going on for a long time, it did not start with Millennials or Gen Z.

That made me chuckle. In a reflective sorta way.

In the (early) '80's when we got married, the closest phone from where we lived was a pay phone outside the store a couple miles east. We quickly learned to take something to kill the fire ants because they'd cover you up while standing there. There wasn't any wire to connect a phone to for about 6 months until cable got buried, then we got a party line and almost joined the 20th century. Something like an answering machine wasn't even on our radar.

Good times. I'd go back and do it again in a heartbeat.

Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9008111 02/19/24 07:29 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

I agree 100%. I think if you decide to stop seeing someone, regardless of casual or more serious, you should do the mature thing and let them know with actual communication. I certainly wouldn't do that to a woman I was dating.

As far as age groups, it's not just the younger crowd that does it. I think they are probably the biggest offenders, but people in their 40's and 50's do it too.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Ghosting [Re: TOM-M] #9008112 02/19/24 07:29 PM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted by TOM-M
Originally Posted by ndhunter

That made me chuckle. In a reflective sorta way.

In the (early) '80's when we got married, the closest phone from where we lived was a pay phone outside the store a couple miles east. We quickly learned to take something to kill the fire ants because they'd cover you up while standing there. There wasn't any wire to connect a phone to for about 6 months until cable got buried, then we got a party line and almost joined the 20th century. Something like an answering machine wasn't even on our radar.

Good times. I'd go back and do it again in a heartbeat.

Nothing more embarrassing than to be in your apartment with one girl while another was leaving a message.

Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9008118 02/19/24 07:57 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
For a hunting forum, there sure are a lot of dramatic topics with lots of complaints. I'm older than millennials and Gen Z, but there are plenty of posts from Boomers decrying how much better it used to be back in the good ol' days.

Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9008141 02/19/24 09:47 PM
W
Walkabout Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
It’s still all the same. Only the terminology has changed.
Ring Ring Ring “please leave a message i will get back to you.” C’mon now, who hasn’t.

Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9008144 02/19/24 10:00 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Very popular trend in business these days as well. Some can’t deal with confrontation good or bad and just go radio silent. People go back on their word and just disappear. It’s very frustrating to say the least.

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Ghosting [Re: jskin] #9008147 02/19/24 10:07 PM
topwater13 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by jskin
Very popular trend in business these days as well. Some can’t deal with confrontation good or bad and just go radio silent. People go back on their word and just disappear. It’s very frustrating to say the least.

Or even worse.....they quit buying.

Last edited by topwater13; 02/19/24 10:07 PM.
Re: Ghosting [Re: Gringo Bling] #9008148 02/19/24 10:08 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
For a hunting forum, there sure are a lot of dramatic topics with lots of complaints. I'm older than millennials and Gen Z, but there are plenty of posts from Boomers decrying how much better it used to be back in the good ol' days.

That’s why it’s in the Off Topic section.

Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9008149 02/19/24 10:08 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
From a female standpoint I can say this, if I were 20 something and met some guy thought he was nice but turned out to be creepy last thing I want to do is meet him face to face and say no thank you, goodbye.
Too many creeps out there these days and too many guys , and gals, that will not take no for an answer.

Ghost away gals, probably safer for you in the long run. popcorn

Re: Ghosting [Re: Gringo Bling] #9008151 02/19/24 10:10 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

You make a good point. I wonder how many members of this forum actually hunt.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Ghosting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9008160 02/19/24 10:34 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

You make a good point. I wonder how many members of this forum actually hunt.

Not many,

Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9008164 02/19/24 10:46 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
rofl

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Ghosting [Re: ntxtrapper] #9008198 02/20/24 12:27 AM
DustyArmadillo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Not a big deal. Some women just can’t take a hint anyways.

Without more context, I’d be willing to wager that the person in the OP has been guilty of ghosting him/herself to varying degrees.

Also not sure I would make any forecasts based on whether or not someone participates in ghosting.

Would be easy to argue America’s future is dim based on the 34 trillion in debt that was authorized by, if I’m not mistaken, the baby boomers.

Which is worse? Ghosting someone or burdening future generations with high debt?

Not picking a fight here, just pointing out that no one is perfect.

Last edited by DustyArmadillo; 02/20/24 12:28 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide