Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: skinnerback] #9007281 02/17/24 10:59 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by pertnear
I like the "Mark Dodge" business model. Are there any Chevy or Toyota dealerships that follow that no-hassle online approach?

If I sold Dodge trucks, I'd make it as hassle free as possible too. You're already selling a chocolate covered turd, no need in making the process more difficult than it needs to be. grin

Now that’s funny!

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: txtrophy85] #9007283 02/17/24 11:04 PM
tlk Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I HATE dealing with salesmen, especially car salesmen. I do not haggle with anyone trying to get them to come down, nor will I be haggled if I'm selling something. Not sure why, but I really hate that. When I sell something my sale price is well thought out and firm, period. When I'm buying something including vehicles I look at it the same way. I'll either buy it or walk away. I know I could probably save some money by haggling, but I don't wanna.

I learned a long, long time ago not to take negations personally. It’s not personal, just business. The name of the game is, they are trying to sell it for the highest price, you are trying to buy it for the lowest. When both parties can walk away happy is the ultimate goal.

negotiating is one thing - trying to fool a buyer by adding extra cost without disclosing them is bordering on fraud IMO and that is what some dealers are doing now days -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9007350 02/18/24 01:02 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by tlk
negotiating is one thing - trying to fool a buyer by adding extra cost without disclosing them is bordering on fraud IMO and that is what some dealers are doing now days -

And more private sellers juke buyers with non-disclosed issues than all dealers combined so just be a NON-idiot and buy anything (not just a car) with caveat emptor and some good common sense. It's not rocket science. If something is fishy, LEAVE the deal on the desk. Why is this so hard?

Pass the gravy.

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: The Dude Abides] #9007351 02/18/24 01:05 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Eventually the manufacturers will figure it out and follow the way Tesla sells its cars. Not a Tesla car fan but eliminating the dealership is a big plus. Just have service centers.

Service keeps the dealer bills paid. What would happen if service then made the profits? The world would end. Just sayin'...

Pass the gravy.

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: GasGuzzler] #9007387 02/18/24 02:11 AM
tlk Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Originally Posted by tlk

And more private sellers juke buyers with non-disclosed issues than all dealers combined so just be a NON-idiot and buy anything (not just a car) with caveat emptor and some good common sense. It's not rocket science. If something is fishy, LEAVE the deal on the desk. Why is this so hard?

You make zero sense

You can't fix stupid
Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9007567 02/18/24 04:49 PM
B
BigDog Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Agree. Was dickering with Mike Terry chevy in Mexia. Last quote had a Government fee of 350.00. Salesman wanted to know why I didn't get back. Told him why would I want to deal with a dealership that is trying to screw me with a BS charge. If they want to charge 350.00 more for the truck that is fine, but don't put a BS government fee. Like you said they should be held for fraud.

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9007575 02/18/24 05:04 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Bill Fick Ford in Huntsville cuts all the BS. They quoted my trade via text messaged pics, VIN and mileage. Gave me more than all the local jackwagons were offering. Discounted their truck about the same as anyone else advertised and didn’t have a bunch of made up charges at the end. Drove my new one to my office, signed 4 things, drove the old one back. I can’t see myself using anyone else again.

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9007583 02/18/24 05:41 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
When I was still working, I went to buy a BMW. Closest dealer to the office was on Houston’s SW Freeway. The young sales guy and I worked out a deal, and the next day I brought my wife with me for signing stuff, getting the car, and then a nice lunch. Thinking I had an agreed-upon deal, I was ready to sign. The sales guy put the papers I front of me, and it was nothing I had agreed to. I brought that little issue up and he said his manager insisted that we do it this way. I stood up, said I was not doing that deal, and we walked. I went to a north Houston dealer that same day and bought the car I wanted for the price I was willing to pay. For a good month, the guy from the first dealership called every day, he wanted me to come back and do the deal I had wanted. I told him that I had bought the car from another dealer. He didn’t believe me, and kept calling every day. Finally, since I wouldn’t talk to him, he’d beg my wife to put me on the phone. Finally I decided to talk one last time. Told him that if selling cars was his chosen path in life, he wasn’t good enough to succeed. Still makes me mad at all the time I wasted with that idiot.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9007672 02/18/24 09:24 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I HATE dealing with salesmen, especially car salesmen. I do not haggle with anyone trying to get them to come down, nor will I be haggled if I'm selling something. Not sure why, but I really hate that. When I sell something my sale price is well thought out and firm, period. When I'm buying something including vehicles I look at it the same way. I'll either buy it or walk away. I know I could probably save some money by haggling, but I don't wanna.

I learned a long, long time ago not to take negations personally. It’s not personal, just business. The name of the game is, they are trying to sell it for the highest price, you are trying to buy it for the lowest. When both parties can walk away happy is the ultimate goal.

That’s straight up fraud and they should be reported to immediately to the manufacturer.

I wouldn’t tolerate that even for a second.

For reference, I went back thru my paperwork and there wasn’t a cent on there that wasn’t agreed to prior.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9008530 02/20/24 05:40 PM
R
RussellWayne Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
My last truck was ordered on line. I had called and asked about several trucks that show to be on the lot and ready to go. only to find that was not the case. I had a guy from aggie chevrolet call me back and asked me of my intentions. Told him what I was looking for but really preferred ordering one from my hometown dealer. Verry nice dude. Said "well hey, listen here if you ordeer it here in the next couple of weeks make sure they have this code attached to it". When i did finally order one the dealer sent me back the order sheet to which i informed him that the special code was not listed. He had no idea what the hell I was talking about. I halfway explained it to him and then after he adjusted the order sheet he got it back approved from GM. That special code was limited time deal that would replace the 8" square monitor and guages with 100% digital guage panel and the 14" rectanguar model that you see on cars now. When it came in he called and said I better hurry as the boss had already been getting calls about everyone wanting it. Supposedly they tried to order a handful more but were told that the loophole for it has expired and they were forced to accept the 8" screen until the next years models came out with them as a stock item. Truck is a 2022 2wd chevrolet, 5.3 litre, cloth seats and stripped of all of the stuff o man really uses after a couple weeks of owning it. It does not have side mirror lights, adjustable side mirrors, front and rear collision detectors.

You have to remember, they might not be drinking as much as we are.
Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9008552 02/20/24 06:09 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I'm always shopping vehicles just like guns. Getting close to my "LAST" vehicle.

everything I want is SO freekin expensive. Seems like $60,000 is about the starting point for anything I'm interested in.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9008607 02/20/24 07:30 PM
R
rolyat.nosaj Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
How much money do you think they have in a new truck showing an MSRP of 60K?

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #9008620 02/20/24 07:51 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

My question also.

I’ve started thinking about replacing my 2010 Tundra. Other than being high mileage and old, it still starts and runs ok. But, it won’t last forever. My question is: How many people can afford a $50 to $60,000 ride?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #9008871 02/21/24 12:18 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Depends on which "they" you are talking about. The cost to produce a vehicle is irrelevant as consumers do not buy from the manufacturer in almost all cases. The cost of labor is through the roof thanks to the UAW. The cost of parts to the manufacturer is extremely low, 1/10 what the dealer pays most often. The dealer then has a cost based on super-inflated union labor and a huge parts margin by the manufacturer. Dealers generally make very little on new cars per vehicle. Don't forget the cars on a lot are not owned by the dealership either, they're the manufacturer's vehicles on a balloon note to the dealer...in most cases. Used cars is where the profit is.

I once toured the OKC plant where Trailblazers, et al were built and they were talking about a design update to a radio chassis and had to scrap a pallet of radios. We asked about the cost. The answer was about $10 per unit...parts the dealers' cost on was $850-ish.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: GasGuzzler] #9008894 02/21/24 01:38 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

Depends on which "they" you are talking about. The cost to produce a vehicle is irrelevant as consumers do not buy from the manufacturer in almost all cases. The cost of labor is through the roof thanks to the UAW. The cost of parts to the manufacturer is extremely low, 1/10 what the dealer pays most often. The dealer then has a cost based on super-inflated union labor and a huge parts margin by the manufacturer. Dealers generally make very little on new cars per vehicle. Don't forget the cars on a lot are not owned by the dealership either, they're the manufacturer's vehicles on a balloon note to the dealer...in most cases. Used cars is where the profit is.

I once toured the OKC plant where Trailblazers, et al were built and they were talking about a design update to a radio chassis and had to scrap a pallet of radios. We asked about the cost. The answer was about $10 per unit...parts the dealers' cost on was $850-ish.

Very true GG. Used cars, the finance department is where the money is made along with service.

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9008947 02/21/24 02:48 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
When I bought the Tundra the finance dude tried to add some bogus $650 dealer fee. I asked "what's this?". He said "we charge that to everyone". I said "not me" and got up to leave. He took it off. Made me wonder how many people pay it and don't ? it or even notice it.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9008959 02/21/24 03:07 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Like always

1. Do your homework
2. Have a "price" you will pay
3. Have the stones to walk away no matter how badly you want the hooptie.
3a. decide beforehand if you will cave and negotiate. (most will).

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: Buzzsaw] #9009031 02/21/24 05:00 PM
S
spankyttx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Like always

1. Do your homework

yup, this is how you do it. up

LI-SI-WI-NWI
Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: Buzzsaw] #9009103 02/21/24 08:28 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Like always

1. Do your homework

This ^…

Just note, if you don’t pay then someone will. Dealers know this.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9009175 02/21/24 11:06 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I just got a text from a local dealer. Trucks on lot are priced at MSRP. I thanked him for his time.

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9009193 02/21/24 11:38 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
I think we're about to trade in the wife's car as it's becoming a money pit. Test drive coming up on Friday. Would love to go with the GX 460, but I believe we'll land on the RX 350. wife

[Linked Image]
Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: Buzzsaw] #9009216 02/22/24 12:37 AM
S
spacejunkie Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
[quote=Buzzsaw]Like always

1. Do your homework
3a. decide beforehand if you will cave and negotiate. (most will).[/quote

up

If you decide to negotiate get rid of the salesman and get the manager to come to you. The salesman is just a mouthpiece and can make no decisions. Don't waste your time with the salesman and get a decision maker in front of you as soon as you can.

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9009262 02/22/24 01:50 AM
tlk Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I think most of us on here know how to negotiate with a car salesman. The point of the thread was be aware of extra charges being added on without your knowledge or being told about them after you agreed to a certain price - it is purely fraudulent but many of them are doing it

You can't fix stupid
Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: Stump_jumper] #9009365 02/22/24 12:11 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Very true GG. Used cars, the finance department is where the money is made along with service.

No, service generates the income the rest of the dealership operates off of so profit can be shown by sales.

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
When I bought the Tundra the finance dude tried to add some bogus $650 dealer fee. I asked "what's this?". He said "we charge that to everyone". I said "not me" and got up to leave. He took it off. Made me wonder how many people pay it and don't ? it or even notice it.

The dealer you mention is setting themself up for a class action law suit by doing so. Any "fee" a dealer charges must be charged to all customers to "justify" it legally. Changing said fee to some and not others is where the law comes in. There are obviously more specific guidelines than what I just mentioned but you get the gist of it.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Heads up if buying a vehicle [Re: tlk] #9009401 02/22/24 01:24 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I think most guys here are older and have seen the crap that dealers can do, or can just afford to be buy a car, a few thousand isn't worth the time or hassle.
Dealers have some tricks, they prey on the young, folks that are inexperienced at their game, and those that want a new car so bad they will do anything. They added $6,000 to a car on me once. I should have kept the paperwork as proof, but I threw it at them.
One of their moves is wearing you down with time. They will take a long time between offers till you take whatever just to be done. All the time they are giving you snacks and drinks, they are so nice and generous.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide