Forums46
Topics538,474
Posts9,737,474
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Ever had a near death experience? [Re: Texas Dan] #9004009 02/11/24 10:36 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Looks like many of us have been close to dead, and more than once. I think we should keep our affairs in order, just in case. Probably 5 instances over my life could have been terminal easily. I have just been lucky. Looks like about the same for a bunch of you.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Ever had a near death experience? [Re: Texas Dan] #9004211 02/12/24 04:56 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Sooner or later death will find all of us. Ever since I retired I think more about the consequences of doing dangerous things though.

Re: Ever had a near death experience? [Re: Stub] #9004380 02/12/24 03:47 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by kry226
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Tuesday, April 10, 1979 about 6:15 PM in my home town of Wichita Falls, Texas. I could post an entire page describing our attempt to outrun the tornado. 3-5 seconds made the difference. If I had a video camera and filmed what I saw looking out the back window of the car I was a passenger in no one would believe we lived through it.

My wife, also from WF and 7-years-old then, talks about that twister all the time. She remembers her dad holding her hand as they were racing to the car and due to the wind, her feet weren't touching the ground.

The sirens went off right about the time the local Weather came on and broadcasted that a tornado was confirmed on the ground at Memorial Stadium, headed in the direction of our house. My dad (a police officer), brother and I went outside and looked in the direction towards the stadium and saw it. A massive cloud that took up the entire horizon with a cylindrical mass to the ground. It was not shaped like a funnel at all. It was maybe 2 miles away at this time. We could see large pieces of debris in the air and the roof tops of houses hundreds of feet in the air spinning like leaves. Dad looked at me and said, "Get your keys and your Mother". My car was at the end of the driveway, had everyone blocked. In less than 30 seconds we were in the car hauling [censored]. My brother and I were in the back of my 2 door Buick Regal, Dad driving and mom in the front. We headed up McNiel St. towards SW Parkway, made it and hit a left to try and outrun it. There was traffic and Dad was doing all he could to get us out of it. Between McNiel and Rhea Road is when we started getting hit. It sounded like we were getting hit by a hundred shotgun blasts all at once, I looked behind me and to this day get chills thinking about it. The funnel cloud was on the ground, spinning about 200 yards behind us. About 100 yards behind us houses along the drainage ditch houses were going up in the air as if a bomb was hitting them. Houses shredded and flying into the air like the grass clippings I blow off the sidewalk. I'm calling out to Dad the distance, 200 yards Dad, go, go.....my Momn is screaming like a hysterical child, Dad like a laser looking straight ahead and getting us through traffic. Things got really scary at Kemp and SW. Pkwy. it was closer but seemed to take a very slight curve and in a straight line towards Sikes Mall. We nearly got caught up in at at this intersection, electric lines down in front of us sparking as they hit the ground, heavier debris is hitting the car and the windows on the passenger side knocked out, we were down low in the seats and not hit by the glass, a trash dumpster hits the side of the car, some contact with other cars as I saw the roof come off of a furniture store right behind us. From a distance of 100 or so yards I saw buildings, houses, cars flying in the air like toys, all as my car was taking a pounding, the noise was like a roaring wave. We headed out of town, the turn the storm took sent it to Sikes Mall where my brother was in the Movie Theater taking cover, and a friend of mine since the 1st grade lost her life at the other end of the Mall. Five minutes later, we drive back. In the parking lot of K Mart was a liquor store that sat very close to the road. We drove right by it as we neared the intersection where we were nearly stuck. It was flattened, probably a second or two after we got through. We had to park my beat up car a mile from the house and walk the rest of the way. The neighborhood that I grew up in and had seen a few minutes earlier looked like a mile wide dozer path had been through. Houses one block from us, levelled. Ours, in tact with roof damage. Huge trees in the front yard down.

As I recall, four classmates from my highschool lost their lives that day, I can recall the names of three........Had school been in session, the loss of life at the Jr. High I had previously attended would have been numerous. It was totally shredded. My brother that survived the tornado in the mall would be killed in a construction accident two years later on the site of a building destroyed in the tornado.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Ever had a near death experience? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9004492 02/12/24 06:33 PM
R
rem870 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
At least two.

Took a friend shooting with me once and while we were loading up to leave,he pointed his shotgun at me at chest level
at chest level without thinking of what was doing. Thought I was about to checkout right then and there.
He was not invited back!

Second time was 3 years ago.

Was in my boss’s big [censored] Dodge pickup heading up the highway at about 65 mph.
Started feeling and hearing a violent thumping coming from what I thought was the right tire.
Wasn’t able to pull off the highway because there wasn’t a suitable place to go without taking a chance of getting run over and hoped I could make it to the exit.

Well…..I made it to the exit just in time for the left rim and tire to come completely off.
Did about a 100 yard skid on the right brake rotor while hanging onto the steering wheel and hoping the damn truck
wouldn’t start to go sideways and flip or cart wheel.

Guess it wasn’t my time to go at either point to leave this earthly realm.

Re: Ever had a near death experience? [Re: kry226] #9004833 02/13/24 04:08 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Another Wichita Falls one. 1964. I was at Shephard AFB for training. I was on KP and people started running down the street. I looked outside and saw that over sized Whirlwind coming. Some guy yelled tornado. Lots of guys ran to the windows to see it. I started yelling to get away from the windows but nobody paid any attention. I grabbed an NCO and told him what was going to happen. He believed me and we cleared the eating room and got everyone crammed in interior rooms. Every window shattered with glass everywhere. It only lasted about a long 5 minutes. Then a huge clean up started. We also went into town to help with cleaning there.

Saw several a long way off when I was a kid living outside of Muleshoe. None were coming in my direction so I stayed on the tractor.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 02/13/24 04:10 AM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Ever had a near death experience? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9004871 02/13/24 12:12 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by kry226
Tuesday, April 10, 1979 about 6:15 PM in my home town of Wichita Falls, Texas. I could post an entire page describing our attempt to outrun the tornado. 3-5 seconds made the difference. If I had a video camera and filmed what I saw looking out the back window of the car I was a passenger in no one would believe we lived through it.

My wife, also from WF and 7-years-old then, talks about that twister all the time. She remembers her dad holding her hand as they were racing to the car and due to the wind, her feet weren't touching the ground.

The sirens went off right about the time the local Weather came on and broadcasted that a tornado was confirmed on the ground at Memorial Stadium, headed in the direction of our house. My dad (a police officer), brother and I went outside and looked in the direction towards the stadium and saw it. A massive cloud that took up the entire horizon with a cylindrical mass to the ground. It was not shaped like a funnel at all. It was maybe 2 miles away at this time. We could see large pieces of debris in the air and the roof tops of houses hundreds of feet in the air spinning like leaves. Dad looked at me and said, "Get your keys and your Mother". My car was at the end of the driveway, had everyone blocked. In less than 30 seconds we were in the car hauling [censored]. My brother and I were in the back of my 2 door Buick Regal, Dad driving and mom in the front. We headed up McNiel St. towards SW Parkway, made it and hit a left to try and outrun it. There was traffic and Dad was doing all he could to get us out of it. Between McNiel and Rhea Road is when we started getting hit. It sounded like we were getting hit by a hundred shotgun blasts all at once, I looked behind me and to this day get chills thinking about it. The funnel cloud was on the ground, spinning about 200 yards behind us. About 100 yards behind us houses along the drainage ditch houses were going up in the air as if a bomb was hitting them. Houses shredded and flying into the air like the grass clippings I blow off the sidewalk. I'm calling out to Dad the distance, 200 yards Dad, go, go.....my Momn is screaming like a hysterical child, Dad like a laser looking straight ahead and getting us through traffic. Things got really scary at Kemp and SW. Pkwy. it was closer but seemed to take a very slight curve and in a straight line towards Sikes Mall. We nearly got caught up in at at this intersection, electric lines down in front of us sparking as they hit the ground, heavier debris is hitting the car and the windows on the passenger side knocked out, we were down low in the seats and not hit by the glass, a trash dumpster hits the side of the car, some contact with other cars as I saw the roof come off of a furniture store right behind us. From a distance of 100 or so yards I saw buildings, houses, cars flying in the air like toys, all as my car was taking a pounding, the noise was like a roaring wave. We headed out of town, the turn the storm took sent it to Sikes Mall where my brother was in the Movie Theater taking cover, and a friend of mine since the 1st grade lost her life at the other end of the Mall. Five minutes later, we drive back. In the parking lot of K Mart was a liquor store that sat very close to the road. We drove right by it as we neared the intersection where we were nearly stuck. It was flattened, probably a second or two after we got through. We had to park my beat up car a mile from the house and walk the rest of the way. The neighborhood that I grew up in and had seen a few minutes earlier looked like a mile wide dozer path had been through. Houses one block from us, levelled. Ours, in tact with roof damage. Huge trees in the front yard down.

As I recall, four classmates from my highschool lost their lives that day, I can recall the names of three........Had school been in session, the loss of life at the Jr. High I had previously attended would have been numerous. It was totally shredded. My brother that survived the tornado in the mall would be killed in a construction accident two years later on the site of a building destroyed in the tornado.

Wow. Lots of scars remain to this day.

[Linked Image]
Re: Ever had a near death experience? [Re: Texas Dan] #9004923 02/13/24 02:02 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Giles tell the story about the lawn mower, clown, and one armed stripper!!!!

Re: Ever had a near death experience? [Re: Texas Dan] #9004937 02/13/24 02:32 PM
V
vm788 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
V
In 2020 we had a 3 vehicle accident on I-10 15 miles west of town. Page went out as MVA with injuries. I was not on call so was about to go drink coffee with the crowd. Second page came over and said had 11 injuries. Being one of the 2 paramedics there, I responded. I was on the 2nd unit of 3. On scene my boss told me to get in the 1st unit and take off, had one critical, one that reported was ejected and one walking. On the road I called boss and asked if I could put the critical on AirMed 1. He responded, no, had another critical. When we were 22 miles from San Angelo, started having tightness in my chest. Thought it was stressed, went away. About 10 minutes later it came back and I knew what was going on. Had a EMT in back with me. Asked him to take over bagging my patient. Once at hospital, unloaded my patient, my EMT asked what was wrong, told him chest pain and he cried out "Man having heart attack". To end it, I had 100% blockage of the LAD (Widow Maker). ER dr told me the cardiac team was already coming in for another patient but was going to take me first. Lost 50% of ejection factor. If I had not been on unit, all three units were gone as well as helicopter service. I give God the credit by putting me where I needed to be at the right time.

I highly recommend everyone to read "IMAGINE HEAVEN". It is an eye opening account of people that actually died and came back.

Last edited by vm788; 02/13/24 02:36 PM.

"The first amendment was not written to protect people and their laws from religious values, it was written to protect those values from government tyranny."
Ronald Reagan
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide