Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: BigPig] #9000170 02/05/24 11:40 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BigPig
I don’t know what the right number is. I’m 39, wife 37, son is 4. I’ll leave police work in 12 years at 51. Don’t care what my pension earning is, because it probably won’t better when I retire. I pay 13% into my pension, wife maxed out her 401k, we live paycheck to paycheck because we save 50% of our paychecks. We buy rent houses and that’s what I’m
Banking on for my main retirement fun.

Curious about your pension? In my case it is golden and will last for both my and my wife's lifetimes. Not sure what you mean by "it probably won't better when I retire?" Just curious

You can't fix stupid
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: DQ Kid] #9000172 02/05/24 11:51 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
We are both retired and the right number is like shooting at a moving target. Inflation, under Biden, is a killer.

We’re ok. I’m 81 and wife is 70. Both in pretty good health and I got us debt free about 15 years ago. We can live on Social Security due to debt free. Health is a big deal re quality of life and finances. Keeping wife away from Winstar is important. Both of us have good 401K plans.

Before long I’ll sell my 133 acres of junk land, AKA recreational property, South of Bowie, and face a huge tax hickey. The money will assure my wife’s well being after I’m gone.

I have one remaining rental property. It was my Grandparents home that I bought when they passed away. It’s paid off and fully depreciated. My Grandson and his wife are currently living in it and paying rent that is less than the property taxes. Losing my butt on the deal since I can’t homestead it. My 3 daughters will own it when I die. And, I know which one will buy out the other 2. She makes a lot of money. I’m thinking about giving it to the daughters now. That will allow the grandson to own it and get a tax exemption and I rid myself of a big tax property tax hickey.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 02/05/24 12:13 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: Dave Davidson] #9000179 02/05/24 12:13 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
We are both retired and the right number is like shooting at a moving target. Inflation, under Biden, is a killer.

We’re ok. I’m 81 and wife is 70. Both in pretty good health and I got us debt free about 15 years ago. We can live on Social Security due to debt free. Health is a big deal re quality of life and finances. Keeping wife away from Winstar is important. Both of us have good 401K plans.

Before long I’ll sell my 133 acres of junk land, AKA recreational property, South of Bowie, and face a huge tax hickey. The money will assure my wife’s well being after I’m gone.

There are ways around the tax hickey, Just have to have a really good tax attorney.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: DQ Kid] #9000219 02/05/24 02:16 PM
M
Mr. 806 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
M
Money is not everything. I’m 48, shooting to retire at 55, good Lord willing I make it that long. Being debt free for a decade has helped tremendously save about 25% of our income. We will probably have right at 1,000,000 saved between 401K, Roth & various E*Trade accounts and that’s more than enough for us to hunt, fish and golf as much as we can. Side note, Dad died at 51, Mom at 53…I’m hoping to hang around long enough to enjoy 40 years of hard work.

Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9000223 02/05/24 02:24 PM
topwater13 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

There are ways around the tax hickey, Just have to have a really good tax attorney.

Agreed. Please get a good accountant and/or lawyer. They can walk you through this with ease.

Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: DQ Kid] #9000226 02/05/24 02:26 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I’m not betting on making it to 80, I want out asap. I don’t care for my financial guy, he is like a car salesman, but instead of asking what I want a payment to be he asks when I want to retire. My answer is always as soon as possible.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: blanked] #9000242 02/05/24 02:51 PM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by blanked
Just cause your retired doesnt mean you pull all your money out of the market and stop making money. Market averages 8 to 10% a year gains. IMO when you can live on 5% a year average gains your ready to retire. Dont dip into your principle

Have 2 to 3 years worth in a bomb proof acct like CDs to ride out any crashes. The rest keep it in the market to make up your 5% withdrawal

This is a pretty simple way to net it out and think about it.

My son should be graduating college in 4 years which is the year I turn 55. I'm checking out then. With everything paid off we should be able to live off that 5% without changing a thing and hopefully continue to grow the nest egg. Paying for healthcare until we hit Medicare age is going to suck though.

[Linked Image]
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: DQ Kid] #9000249 02/05/24 03:05 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Like others have said it all depends on your spending. I don’t want a lavish lifestyle. Only thing I would do with more money is buy more land and I don’t have time for land while I’m working. Some can live an incredibly happy frugal life some can’t.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: Dave Davidson] #9000252 02/05/24 03:10 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I have one remaining rental property. It was my Grandparents home that I bought when they passed away. It’s paid off and fully depreciated. My Grandson and his wife are currently living in it and paying rent that is less than the property taxes. Losing my butt on the deal since I can’t homestead it. My 3 daughters will own it when I die. And, I know which one will buy out the other 2. She makes a lot of money. I’m thinking about giving it to the daughters now. That will allow the grandson to own it and get a tax exemption and I rid myself of a big tax property tax hickey.

What have you done to make sure you wife don't spend all the money at the Winstar when you die?

Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: RedRanger] #9000308 02/05/24 04:28 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted by RedRanger

What have you done to make sure you wife don't spend all the money at the Winstar when you die?

Hell, that’s on her. I don’t care, I’m dead.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: The Dude Abides] #9000344 02/05/24 05:47 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides

Not me. If possible, I'd like Wifeypoo to have a pool boy when I'm gone - that is one wothout two wives.

Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: Hudbone] #9000348 02/05/24 05:53 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone

Not me. If possible, I'd like Wifeypoo to have a pool boy when I'm gone - that is one wothout two wives.

spousal trust!!

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: Hudbone] #9000352 02/05/24 06:05 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Hudbone

roflmao

Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: DQ Kid] #9000379 02/05/24 06:57 PM
C
coachwhite34 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
C
I am an administrator for a small school district. My wife teaches in the same district. We will both get TRS. We both have a Roth IRA, we both get a 2% matching 403b through the district. We put money into mutual funds as well. Got money in silver bars which I buy and sell as needed. When I really take a look at it it still doesn't seem like enough. We manage to live on my income and hers goes all into the retirement/savings accounts. Got a kid going into high school next year and one going into 5th grade next year. So we are still staring down college for them. We have college funds for them but it will depend on how we get through those years.

The travel ball and school sports are whats getting us now.

Last edited by coachwhite34; 02/05/24 06:58 PM.
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: DQ Kid] #9000398 02/05/24 07:38 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Keep it coming guys, Helmuth is now asking me what kind of hunting rig he needs, how expensive and whether he should get IR, nightvision, and a suppressor. He also wants to know if he should get a Barndo and what size tractor for food plots and road maintenance vs acquiring improved property with that stuff already on it. As well as, buying a hunting jeep, vs Bronco vs new 1/2 ton truck. Think I've created a damn monster, lol. Feel Ike telling him to move back to Bavaria and hunt those Stag, wolves and chukar, lol....

Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: DQ Kid] #9000412 02/05/24 08:09 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Keep it coming guys, Helmuth is now asking me what kind of hunting rig he needs, how expensive and whether he should get IR, nightvision, and a suppressor. He also wants to know if he should get a Barndo and what size tractor for food plots and road maintenance vs acquiring improved property with that stuff already on it. As well as, buying a hunting jeep, vs Bronco vs new 1/2 ton truck. Think I've created a damn monster, lol. Feel Ike telling him to move back to Bavaria and hunt those Stag, wolves and chukar, lol....

A truck with 6’ bed and a UTV

Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: DQ Kid] #9000418 02/05/24 08:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I would love to go to Germany/Austria for a Red Stag/Boar/Roe deer combo.

One day I plan on killing a Royal Stag in the Vaterland

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: DQ Kid] #9000435 02/05/24 09:00 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
My retirement number's going to be more wrapped around ability to get health insurance for my wife at a reasonable cost. Costly bridge to cross. She's 6 years away from Medicare. And she's currently on some insanely expensive medication and will be for the remainder of her years. My employer has outstanding benefits and insurance. Really hard to walk away from that.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: dkershen] #9000438 02/05/24 09:08 PM
topwater13 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by dkershen
My retirement number's going to be more wrapped around ability to get health insurance for my wife at a reasonable cost. Costly bridge to cross. She's 6 years away from Medicare. And she's currently on some insanely expensive medication and will be for the remainder of her years. My employer has outstanding benefits and insurance. Really hard to walk away from that.

Agreed. Early retirement sounds amazing, but paying for healthcare out of pocket does not.

Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: DQ Kid] #9000678 02/06/24 04:32 AM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
52 worked for me had to get out of austin

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: luv2brode] #9000715 02/06/24 09:18 AM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by luv2brode
52 worked for me had to get out of austin

55 is the number if I have another kiddo, 57 without. I will be investing heavily for the next 7-9 years and I'm done. I've been dreaming of retirement since I was 18.......

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 02/06/24 09:19 AM.
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: The Dude Abides] #9000720 02/06/24 10:31 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I am a different situation, I am my wife first relationship. I have tried to teach her about life, She has only been in American for 9 years. And she will still have many years left when I die. I want her to have a good life when I am gone, but I also don't want someone swindling her out of my money.

Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: RedRanger] #9000732 02/06/24 12:06 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

I am a different situation, I am my wife first relationship. I have tried to teach her about life, She has only been in American for 9 years. And she will still have many years left when I die. I want her to have a good life when I am gone, but I also don't want someone swindling her out of my money.

as stated earlier set up a trust so it you die first the estate goes into the trust for you wife. If she remarries the new spouse has no rights to the estate.

If you have children/grandchildren then the trust can pass it down to them at her death and it can be paid out to them based on ages. Example: they get 1/3 at age 25, another 1/3 at age 30 and the balance at age 35. That way you avoid dumping a bunch of money on a younger person all at one time.

You can't fix stupid
Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: DQ Kid] #9000890 02/06/24 04:20 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Some alluded to it but really just throwing out a number makes no sense at all because of vastly different situations people may be in. For example someone who never made over 50k a year while working likely has a lot different idea of what is enough to retire than someone who spent a life working making 200k. Even then though a percentage of income isn't the best measuring stick either. Someone making 100k a year and spending every penny of it is likely going to need a lot more in retirement than someone making 100k a year and saving half of it. The only real way to know what is enough is to look at your expenses.

Re: What's the Retirement # [Re: DQ Kid] #9000892 02/06/24 04:23 PM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Well I only have about 50k in the bank but take home $5800 a month from Army retirement. That increases some every year. Also have my farm paid off worth approx 400k right now but have house payment on another house and a car payment. My wife was making 100k a year but quit to go to school full time. That job is waiting for her anytime she wants to go back to it though. We are pretty comfortable just on my.i come right now and we do a lot of trips.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide