Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
History wise, where did Christianity begin? #8999113 02/03/24 07:25 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
History wise, where did Christianity begin?

This is not a debate but rather a discussion. How did it all come about? What are your thoughts on the subject of how it all began?

To be determined
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8999116 02/03/24 08:27 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
It started with Christ’s teachings. Specifically, when He did away with the old law and started the new.

Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8999128 02/03/24 12:20 PM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I agree with sneaky. Might even add it was on the day Christ was born. Praise the Lord!

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: Sneaky] #8999164 02/03/24 02:31 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sneaky
It started with Christ’s teachings. Specifically, when He did away with the old law and started the new.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: 71Rcode] #8999175 02/03/24 02:43 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by 71Rcode
I agree with sneaky. Might even add it was on the day Christ was born. Praise the Lord!

I start the chapter at the birth of Christ

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8999194 02/03/24 03:12 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Unusual question you usually don't here out side of class or a seminary. Been some years, but the term "Christian" originated in the old city of Antioch, in what is currently Syria. Forgot the current name and would have to look it up. It was a major travel city in eastern rome and Apostle Paul and Barnabas went there teaching during a few of their travels, several other Apostles also taught there in their travels. ((Acts 11:26 ( I had to google that as I didn't recall the verse off hand)

IMO, The knew belief eventually called "Christian/Christianity" Started after the death of Christ and with his redemption of all, including "gentiles"
This was one of the main points A. Paul preached,ie, Jesus has risen and his blood was for all through faith in Jesus Christ in simple form. This message contrasted greatly with the then main pagan roman populace and also the Pharasees and saducees and jewish teachings prior.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8999196 02/03/24 03:14 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
btw, there was also another "Antioch" that was also visited by A Paul, it was a much smaller, rural town

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: Western] #8999207 02/03/24 03:26 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Western
Unusual question you usually don't here out side of class or a seminary. Been some years, but the term "Christian" originated in the old city of Antioch, in what is currently Syria. Forgot the current name and would have to look it up. It was a major travel city in eastern rome and Apostle Paul and Barnabas went there teaching during a few of their travels, several other Apostles also taught there in their travels. ((Acts 11:26 ( I had to google that as I didn't recall the verse off hand)

IMO, The knew belief eventually called "Christian/Christianity" Started after the death of Christ and with his redemption of all, including "gentiles"
This was one of the main points A. Paul preached,ie, Jesus has risen and his blood was for all through faith in Jesus Christ in simple form. This message contrasted greatly with the then main pagan roman populace and also the Pharasees and saducees and jewish teachings prior.

This.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: Western] #8999238 02/03/24 04:27 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

This, Acts is where this information can be studied. When the Holy Spirit came upon believers.

Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8999246 02/03/24 04:35 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Christianity began when Jesus changed Simon's name to Peter and said You are my Rock. Upon this rock I will build my church. That is not an exact quote, and I don't have time to go look up the exact verse. But I would say that moment was the birth of the Christian Church.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: unclebubba] #8999450 02/03/24 11:51 PM
J
jsteve Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Christianity began when Jesus changed Simon's name to Peter and said You are my Rock. Upon this rock I will build my church. That is not an exact quote, and I don't have time to go look up the exact verse. But I would say that moment was the birth of the Christian Church.

Said He will build His church.
It began in Acts 2. Also, read Hebrews 9:16-28 as to the why. Jesus Himself lived and died under the old covenant.

Last edited by jsteve; 02/03/24 11:52 PM.

2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8999454 02/04/24 12:02 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Western hit it outa the park. Much respect.

Our Savior came not to abolish the old Law, but to fulfill it. Don't neglect the Old Testament. Tough, confusing passage. We all fall terribly short. 'Doesn't mean we should ignore it.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8999479 02/04/24 12:49 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Interesting topic, mainly because the history is pretty solid on Jesus’ life and death. The claim of His resurrection is solely on Christianity, and the beginning of Christianity could be said to have started at the beginning of Jesus’ teaching ministry, one could also make the argument it began at the resurrection of Jesus, one could also argue it began at the Birth of Jesus, one could also argue it began at the beginning of time or the time of Adam and Eve, as all things pointed to Jesus coming and all things point to His return. The question is not when did Christianity begin, its when wasn’t it a known that God was going to send a savior for the world? The entire Bible story is a foretelling and fulfillment of Jesus and God’s plan for redeeming the fallen world.

The old law is there to point out all of us fall short of God’s law, none of us can come close to fulfilling our own redemption. We all sin, and Christ’s blood was spilt for our sin sacrifice, per God’s directive of needing a blood sacrifice to atone for sin.. He died on the cross so that we all could die with Him and become subject to a new rule, that is the resurrection. In dying, we no longer are subject to the old law, we are alive and subject to the new law which says that we are unblemished sons and daughters of God and able to be in heaven forever with Him.

We need the old law to remind us we are all sinners, and subject to God’s judgement.
We need the cross and death of Jesus to be our blood sacrifice.
We need the resurrection of Jesus to allow us to live in the new order and not subject to the old law any longer.

Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: jsteve] #8999481 02/04/24 12:53 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by jsteve
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Said He will build His church.
It began in Acts 2. Also, read Hebrews 9:16-28 as to the why. Jesus Himself lived and died under the old covenant.

Good point.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8999484 02/04/24 12:54 AM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
History wise, where did Christianity begin?
This is not a debate but rather a discussion. How did it all come about? What are your thoughts on the subject of how it all began?

Trick question; 'History wise' , as in 'man's' history/perspective? - one could say Abraham,
but before Abraham was, Christ IS. wink

Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8999500 02/04/24 01:17 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Excellent discussion guys.
I was going to post "Antioch", but Western did a much better job.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8999517 02/04/24 01:45 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Western did a real good job.

This year we are doing a study of Acts in the Sunday morning services. Last year it was John. https:/www.ppbc.net if any want to join along with us.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #9000299 02/05/24 04:20 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Pre Acts It was for Jewish followers only. Jesus came for the lost of the House of Abraham Several times he stated so. In Acts 8 I believe the Good news of Jesus went out to the world.

Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #9000399 02/05/24 07:38 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
As resident Reverend I guess I have to weigh in. TurkeyHunters question is a bit grey. Probably on purpose knowing him.

So i'm going to restate it for my purposes.

History wise, when was Christianity first practiced? How did it all come about? What are your thoughts on the subject of how it all began?
Then I'd say it was when Peter first spoke to "the people gathered" about the fulfillment of the scripture (Acts 1:14–17) following the resurrection. You could also argue it to be when Peter addressed the crowd in Acts 2:14-38. That sequence of events definitely laid the ground work for the first Christian church service, and hence the beginning of Christianity as a religion.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: ducknbass] #9000411 02/05/24 08:06 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ducknbass

This, Acts is where this information can be studied. When the Holy Spirit came upon believers.

ditto^

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: dkershen] #9000424 02/05/24 08:32 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by dkershen
TurkeyHunters question is a bit grey. Probably on purpose knowing him.

Just a general question that came up maybe after thinking about a documentary I saw or something I read. When, where, how is all open to interpretation for discussion. Lots of interesting input from THFers. The intent was a positive theological topic.

In some ways I believe it began when Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist.

To be determined
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #9000428 02/05/24 08:47 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D

Just a general question that came up maybe after thinking about a documentary I saw or something I read. When, where, how is all open to interpretation for discussion. Lots of interesting input from THFers. The intent was a positive theological topic.

I started to go down that path, but John was baptizing people long before he crossed path's with Jesus. Purification by water was actually a jewish tradition. So the first person to be baptized in Jesus's name (key difference) would have come after the resurrection IMO. Just my .02 cents.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: dkershen] #9000440 02/05/24 09:11 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity

I started to go down that path, but John was baptizing people long before he crossed path's with Jesus. Purification by water was actually a jewish tradition. So the first person to be baptized in Jesus's name (key difference) would have come after the resurrection IMO. Just my .02 cents.

Thanks that makes a lot of sense.

To be determined
Re: History wise, where did Christianity begin? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #9000445 02/05/24 09:20 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
IMO, when the resurrected Jesus appeared to his disciples and told them to get after it. When I went to "The Church" I heard this called The Great Commission.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide