Print Thread
I made my 6x8 blind semi-portable #8998206 02/01/24 07:15 PM
I
icanski2 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I
I haven't seen this done before, and I enjoy redneck engineering, so I decided to make my 6x8 blind portable enough that I could move it myself if I ever needed to without having to involve a tractor/loader. It turned out great. Mamma and I were able to get it off the trailer, lowered back down and leveled with no problems. I would have been easier with 4 floor jacks instead of two and I will weld some dedicated lifting points on it if i ever have it at the house again. I welded 3 inch square tubing sleeves to the bottom of the blind. Each 2.5 inch leg and extension arm is 48 inches. The extension arms extend out far enough to clear the trailer fenders and the 48" legs allow the blind to be jacked up enough to clear the trailer floor so the trailer can simply be pulled out from under it. I lowered the blind back down to the ground a few inches at a time working from the front and back sides of the 6 foot ends of the blind.

Material used:
Sleeves - 20(ish) ft of 3" x 3/16" wall thickness square tubing.
Legs - 32 ft of 2 1/2" x 3/16" wall thickness square tubing.
Feet - 1/4 inch plate.
7/8 inch nuts welded to the sleeves for friction locks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Re: I made my 6x8 blind semi-portable [Re: icanski2] #8998210 02/01/24 07:33 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I thought of doing something similar but never have. Looks like it serves the purpose.
The end product has weigh distributed at 8 places?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: I made my 6x8 blind semi-portable [Re: freerange] #8998214 02/01/24 07:38 PM
I
icanski2 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I
Originally Posted by freerange
I thought of doing something similar but never have. Looks like it serves the purpose.

No I'm just using the factory legs. The others are just dropped down and locked in. I suppose if the factory ones started sinking the aux legs would become weight bearing.

Re: I made my 6x8 blind semi-portable [Re: icanski2] #9001088 02/06/24 10:54 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Pretty slick!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: I made my 6x8 blind semi-portable [Re: icanski2] #9001433 02/07/24 05:55 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by icanski2

No I'm just using the factory legs. The others are just dropped down and locked in. I suppose if the factory ones started sinking the aux legs would become weight bearing.

But they are are extended and almost touching the ground correct?

Reason I ask is it seems a single stiff wind and you may find the blind slipped off the center legs and is tilted bad or simply tipped over.
The extended legs being as close to ground as possible will help stabilize the blind from a number of things, people, wind, animals (if you have cattle)

Re: I made my 6x8 blind semi-portable [Re: Texas buckeye] #9005354 02/14/24 04:23 AM
I
icanski2 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Originally Posted by icanski2

But they are are extended and almost touching the ground correct?

Reason I ask is it seems a single stiff wind and you may find the blind slipped off the center legs and is tilted bad or simply tipped over.
The extended legs being as close to ground as possible will help stabilize the blind from a number of things, people, wind, animals (if you have cattle)

The blind weighs around 1500 lbs without all the steel I added and It is sitting on the factory legs. The telescoping legs I built were dropped to the ground, locked in, and are resting on pavers after the blind was leveled on the factory legs. There is no weight on them unless the factory legs sunk into the ground and I doubt the has/will happened. I have it anchored to the ground with steel cables so I am relatively confident in its wind/animal resiliency. It is way over-engineered just like all the other simple projects I always find a way over complicate!

Last edited by icanski2; 02/14/24 04:23 AM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide