Print Thread
Any foundation or concrete gurus here? #8996530 01/29/24 06:29 PM
T
Texican Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Heck, I don't care if you are a guru or just someone with more sense then me.

Our house was built down hill - basically half way down a hill. So front yard is uphill and back yard is way down hill. The sloe was cut into and a pad made. Piers were used for the foundation when poured.

Recently (maybe last 2-3 months) we have noticed water on our back porch by our fireplace. It is running from the house/chimney corner out to the yard. It is wet, not really "running". This happens after many days of rain. Couldn't find a leak on roof, inside house seems ok. Just had a roofer out, it seemed worse after last weeks rains, and he couldn't find anything - but is coming back later this week to fix some things he said could use being cleaned up (flashing, etc).

Anyways, there is like a salt line build up after the water dried out. The roofer thinks it may be coming up and not down. I don't see any foundation cracks, etc. Thoughts??

Last edited by Texican; 01/29/24 06:30 PM.
Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Texican] #8996531 01/29/24 06:36 PM
T
Texican Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Texican] #8996534 01/29/24 06:40 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Was that patio a second pour to the slab? We have this issue after heavy rains with water coming up between the house and driveway.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: BigPig] #8996536 01/29/24 06:43 PM
T
Texican Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BigPig
Was that patio a second pour to the slab? We have this issue after heavy rains with water coming up between the house and driveway.

It was all built at the same time and am pretty confident it was one pour.

Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Texican] #8996550 01/29/24 07:04 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I poured concrete for a living many years ago. Because your slab is built on a steep grade, hydrostatic pressure is causing water to seep through the concrete. Concrete is porous so there’s not necessarily anything wrong with the slab. If it’s coming up in an area where no damage to floors will occur, it will stop when the water table lowers and it wouldn’t be a big deal to me. If it’s inside in the living space, vapor barriers can be installed outside but the labor will be expensive. A vapor barrier coating can also be applied on it but that traps the water inside the slab which could cause it to seep up in a living space.

Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Texican] #8996573 01/29/24 07:38 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Dig a sump on the uphill side and put in an automatic sump pump that discharges downhill from the house.

Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Texican] #8996655 01/29/24 10:02 PM
K
Ktexas14 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Texican

Our house was built down hill - basically half way down a hill. So front yard is uphill and back yard is way down hill. The sloe was cut into and a pad made. Piers were used for the foundation when poured.

Recently (maybe last 2-3 months) we have noticed water on our back porch by our fireplace. It is running from the house/chimney corner out to the yard. It is wet, not really "running". This happens after many days of rain. Couldn't find a leak on roof, inside house seems ok. Just had a roofer out, it seemed worse after last weeks rains, and he couldn't find anything - but is coming back later this week to fix some things he said could use being cleaned up (flashing, etc).

Anyways, there is like a salt line build up after the water dried out. The roofer thinks it may be coming up and not down. I don't see any foundation cracks, etc. Thoughts??

I had this on a house i had.

Check your chimney cap including the masonry on top of the chimney. Also, the shoulders of the chimney will let water in and may need to be redone.

Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Texican] #8996664 01/29/24 10:36 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Silly question potentially...do you have a water softner?

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Judd] #8996682 01/29/24 11:11 PM
T
Texican Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Judd

yes

Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Ktexas14] #8996683 01/29/24 11:12 PM
T
Texican Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ktexas14

I had this on a house i had.

Check your chimney cap including the masonry on top of the chimney. Also, the shoulders of the chimney will let water in and may need to be redone.

Did check all of that today. It all seems to be intact. THey are coming back to do a water test (basically running a hose up there for a period of time).

Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: blkt2] #8996684 01/29/24 11:12 PM
T
Texican Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by blkt2
Dig a sump on the uphill side and put in an automatic sump pump that discharges downhill from the house.

Yes. Was thinking I may need a french drain of some kind.

Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8996685 01/29/24 11:13 PM
T
Texican Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I poured concrete for a living many years ago. Because your slab is built on a steep grade, hydrostatic pressure is causing water to seep through the concrete. Concrete is porous so there’s not necessarily anything wrong with the slab. If it’s coming up in an area where no damage to floors will occur, it will stop when the water table lowers and it wouldn’t be a big deal to me. If it’s inside in the living space, vapor barriers can be installed outside but the labor will be expensive. A vapor barrier coating can also be applied on it but that traps the water inside the slab which could cause it to seep up in a living space.

Well hoping it is not a big deal and never affects living area. Obviously going to need to keep a close eye on it.

Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Texican] #8996716 01/30/24 12:08 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

yes

The salt makes me think you might look around it for a leak. It's crazy how and how far water travels...also make me think it's not ground water, it's water you've treated and you have a leak somewhere. Time to call a plumber if you can't figure it out.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Judd] #8996732 01/30/24 12:37 AM
T
Texican Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T

yes

The salt makes me think you might look around it for a leak. It's crazy how and how far water travels...also make me think it's not ground water, it's water you've treated and you have a leak somewhere. Time to call a plumber if you can't figure it out.

I may call one, but I sure can't figure out where it would come from. All of the water lines are pex through the attic, and there is no water on that side of the house. I know it could travel, but the only source (I think) would be a sprinkler - and those have been off for a bit.

Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Texican] #8996749 01/30/24 01:08 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
The salt runs right through the concrete with the water from the ground. I'm 99% sure it's just from the rain we've had after reading all your posts.

Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Texican] #8996800 01/30/24 03:19 AM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by blkt2

Yes. Was thinking I may need a french drain of some kind.

I believe Trapper is correct. The water is percolating right through the slab. I run into problems like this pretty regularly when I build pools in yards with big elevation changes. The only sure fire way to fix it is to never give the water a chance to get under the slab. Intercept the water and reroute it before it makes it under your house. Digging is labor intensive but the materials are pretty cheap. This is a link to the pump I like to use. I haven't found anything that last longer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004QVPGHG/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re: Any foundation or concrete gurus here? [Re: Judd] #8996823 01/30/24 04:32 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler

yes

Very good point and it sucks.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide