Print Thread
To QD or not to QD that is the question #8995163 01/27/24 01:07 PM
Q
QPM Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
Q
Hi all. 2024 is going to be year of the predator. I got a Tikka T3x 22-50 and a Wraith Max 4k. I could use it during the day, but would prefer glass. I have a pst gen 2 5-25 that could serve this purpose, but would then get QD mounts for both (so maybe American Defense Manuf. and GG&G). How reliably do these return to zero when going on and off of the same gun?

Another part of the equation is that I just picked up a Franchi Momentum Elite Varmint on a great deal (sub $700) and could just bring two rifles with one for day and one for night. With a scope that Franchi is a bit heavy at 11 lbs 5 oz so I am on the bubble about keeping it around. However, the cost of the QD mounts would be close to $400 bucks... for that price I am probably better off just having two rigs as it is more than 1/2 of the cost of gun #2.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Q

Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: QPM] #8995175 01/27/24 01:39 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Well, one of the advantages of digital NV is that it works well in the day time and so no need to be switching between optics for day and night.

How reliable are RTZ QD mounts? They are very reliable (within 1-2 MOA depending on brands' claims) until something goes wrong, undoubtedly user error. I have seen this with clip-ons and with scopes moved between rifles. It all works great until you find yourself several inches off at 50 yards for no apparent reason except that you didn't verify zero before hunting and it turns out, something went wrong.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: QPM] #8995197 01/27/24 02:50 PM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I have never had a QD mount that didn’t return to zero within an MOA when taken on and off same setup. That being said I never trusted it enough to not verify so it does cost some ammo.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: QPM] #8995264 01/27/24 05:00 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I'd say it's just a matter of how confident you are in your QD system.

Personally, I am not able to trust a QD mount to the point that I don't feel the need to fire a round or two to verify. That's why I have a dedicated daytime hog gun and a dedicated night time hog gun. To me, it's just too much like a fuse. You can turn on your gadget and when it comes up you know the fuse must still be good, but the only way to know whether it's going to work the next time is to turn it on again.

How do you know that light in the refrigerator actually turns off every time you close the fridge door?
scratch

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: QPM] #8995297 01/27/24 05:55 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
How do you know that light in the refrigerator actually turns off every time you close the fridge door?

We used a small child for that. Put them inside and you can tell by the scream if the light is on or off, well that an she put her hand in some cold beans, but you get the idea.

I don't think small children will help with RTZ mount repeatability, however.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: QPM] #8995376 01/27/24 08:13 PM
S
scot Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
S
While the wraiths are very decent during the day, it is nothing compared to the 5-25 viper.

I’d just setup a second rifle.

Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: QPM] #8995390 01/27/24 08:33 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’ve swapped the Wraith out for a standard scope a couple of times. The Wraith has always been ‘right’ when I put it back on, but that’s more like ‘right about where it should be, rather than precisely where it should be’. And, my OCD-ness forces me to check, with one round or two.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: QPM] #8995409 01/27/24 09:27 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I swap between a thermal and a day scope on a few rifles. I have ADM & ZroDlta mounts, and they have been great. Often my hunts start before daylight and end mid morning and then stay in the evening and end after sundown. Having the ability to easily swap them out is crucial for me. Much better than carrying 2 guns because there is no telling how far away from the truck I’ll end up.

Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: scot] #8995482 01/27/24 11:21 PM
Q
QPM Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
Q
Originally Posted by scot
While the wraiths are very decent during the day, it is nothing compared to the 5-25 viper.

I’d just setup a second rifle.

That is certainly the most foolproof solution.

Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: BigPig] #8995484 01/27/24 11:23 PM
Q
QPM Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
Q
Originally Posted by BigPig
I swap between a thermal and a day scope on a few rifles. I have ADM & ZroDlta mounts, and they have been great. Often my hunts start before daylight and end mid morning and then stay in the evening and end after sundown. Having the ability to easily swap them out is crucial for me. Much better than carrying 2 guns because there is no telling how far away from the truck I’ll end up.

That is exactly the use case I am thinking of. Also, if i bring separate set-ups it would be the 22-250 and 5.556 or .243 or 6.5, I won't buy a second 22-250. Thanks for sharing your experience with the mounts.

Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: 603Country] #8995486 01/27/24 11:25 PM
Q
QPM Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
Q
Originally Posted by 603Country
I’ve swapped the Wraith out for a standard scope a couple of times. The Wraith has always been ‘right’ when I put it back on, but that’s more like ‘right about where it should be, rather than precisely where it should be’. And, my OCD-ness forces me to check, with one round or two.

While maybe the gun was getting hot, so far with sighting in the wraith it seems that generally it's performance is 'about where it should be' as opposed to 'precisely where it should be,' but I have only messed with it on two occasions but have found that the one shot adjustment is great at moving POI significant distance across the paper, but for precise zero it has struggled with that last MOA.

Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: QPM] #8995588 01/28/24 02:42 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by QPM

While maybe the gun was getting hot, so far with sighting in the wraith it seems that generally it's performance is 'about where it should be' as opposed to 'precisely where it should be,' but I have only messed with it on two occasions but have found that the one shot adjustment is great at moving POI significant distance across the paper, but for precise zero it has struggled with that last MOA.

That is most likely an inconsistent ammo problem.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: J.G.] #8995704 01/28/24 01:05 PM
Q
QPM Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
Q
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by QPM

That is most likely an inconsistent ammo problem.

That could very well be the case as I was testing different kinds (22-250 ammo availability seems spotty). For this gun the Win Ballistic Silvertip is acceptable, Win Varmint X slightly worse to bad, and the Win Super X is terrible. Hornady Varmint Express is by far the best and I was lucky enough to find 6 boxes.

Not to hijack my own thread, but if you have 22-250 ammo suggestions that would be great.

Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: QPM] #8995721 01/28/24 01:47 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I don't buy ammo, I make ammo.
Sorry, I can't make any suggestion for mass production ammo.

I've loaded and fired many thousands of a rounds of .22-250, it is a very good cartridge!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: J.G.] #8995740 01/28/24 02:29 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I think I must have been misunderstood. My point actually was that when I swapped scopes and put the Wraith back on, the POI is where it should be. The scope mounts have not introduced any noticeable changes in POI. But, for shooting my best groups with that rifle, I would not be using the Wraith Mini. That’s why I have QD mounts. With the Athlon Midas on it, I can shoot some decent groups. With the Wraith on it, I get what might be called approximately decent groups that are “right about where they should be”, but slightly larger.

The thing that matters is that I don’t think the QD mounts are introducing noticeable error. More precise shooters may think otherwise.

Very interesting that some night vision/thermal folks take two scopes to the stand and swap them out as needed. I never thought of that, but can see the logic - if the QD mounts can be trusted.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: BigPig] #8995871 01/28/24 05:19 PM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

For Big and the OP-- Any reason not to run a clip on of some sort? Not the cheapest option but allows you to go to any rifle you want as long as it has a rail for it.

Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: duckhunter175] #8995885 01/28/24 05:38 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by duckhunter175

For Big and the OP-- Any reason not to run a clip on of some sort? Not the cheapest option but allows you to go to any rifle you want as long as it has a rail for it.

When I looked into this a few years ago, all I heard was POI changes everyone you put the thermal on the scope, meaning you always needed to shoot it and adjust.

I’ve been hearing they have greatly improved since then, but I’m already invested into what I have and it works for me.

Re: To QD or not to QD that is the question [Re: QPM] #8995995 01/28/24 08:31 PM
D
duffas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Your NV has enough resolution for reasonably long shots, day or night.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide