Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Jgraider] #8992783 01/23/24 04:07 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Originally Posted by blkt2

Sorry to ask a dumb question. I've shipped a rifles overseas before for hunting but how on Earth did you send a suppressor and how did you get it back into the country?

IRS Form 4457, filled out and signed by an agent.

Dang. I am completely floored. I had no idea this was even possible. What about the host country?

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8992784 01/23/24 04:08 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
From Hornady:

Thank you for contacting us. The recommended minimum impact velocity for the .277 140 grain SST bullet, product number 27352, is 1800 fps, and it should not exceed 2500 fps on impact for optimal performance. This velocity range ensures proper expansion of the bullet. Please remember that shot placement is also crucial for the best results. Avoid heavy bone and aim for vital areas such as the lungs or neck. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out. Thank you.

I guess the “performance at high velocity” that they advertise tops out around 6.8 spc speeds.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8992785 01/23/24 04:11 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
That is why I said to ask about each individual part number in the SST lineup. It varies by bore diameter and bullet weight. Your impact velocity when using a 270wsm at the distance you mentioned was probably a bit over 3,000fps.

2500fps is a touch more than 1700mph. I've owned some fast machines in my time and if I did even half that fast I would swear it was high velocity and would probably break a few world records in the process.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Buzzsaw] #8992807 01/23/24 04:29 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
minute of monkey salute

rofl Buzz...you owe me a monitor clean up...aka MOM rofl

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8992860 01/23/24 05:50 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
I don’t think the ballistic tip-type bullets are worth a darn in a fast paced rifle.

I said that in the Open Hunting section a couple of years ago and by the response I got you would have thought I said I hate America and worship the devil.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: ntxtrapper] #8992873 01/23/24 06:04 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I don’t think the ballistic tip-type bullets are worth a darn in a fast paced rifle.

I said that in the Open Hunting section a couple of years ago and by the response I got you would have thought I said I hate America and worship the devil.

You just have to get one that has a lot of weight to start with. My favorite 300wm load was a 208 Amax over a max load of h1000 or any other slow powder and I have killed big mule dear and elk with it. On elk I would find what was left of the bullet peppered under the off side hide and not a solid chunk was left but the wounding was devastating all the way through. I doubt I ever took a shot with that load under 200 yards. I have killed a bunch of mule deer but not many elk. Others with more experience may have had better or worse results on elk then I observed.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: blkt2] #8992887 01/23/24 06:19 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by blkt2
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

You just have to get one that has a lot of weight to start with. My favorite 300wm load was a 208 Amax over a max load of h1000 or any other slow powder and I have killed big mule dear and elk with it. On elk I would find what was left of the bullet peppered under the off side hide and not a solid chunk was left but the wounding was devastating all the way through. I doubt I ever took a shot with that load under 200 yards. I have killed a bunch of mule deer but not many elk. Others with more experience may have had better or worse results on elk then I observed.

I'm sure they work great in a 50 BMG too.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8992895 01/23/24 06:31 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by DustyArmadillo
SST is just a target bullet rebranded as a hunting bullet.

Same goes for Sierra game king (and many others)

Those bullets are made for shooting steel.

Not staying together while penetrating through muscle and bone.

Many would disagree with me, but there’s a reason I only shoot partitions or A frames.

It’s designed for hunting and nothing else.

what do you think a bullet should do when it enters an animal? It sounds like you just dont like cup and core bullets in general.

while both part and AF are great bullets they are limited in application and dont expand well at lower velocities.

Not to be too argumentative but Part and Aframe are very soft in the front and open easily. They are just very expensive and aren’t very slippery so they shed velocity quickly.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: scottfromdallas] #8992926 01/23/24 07:09 PM
DustyArmadillo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Many would disagree with me, but there’s a reason I only shoot partitions or A frames.

what do you think a bullet should do when it enters an animal? It sounds like you just dont like cup and core bullets in general.

while both part and AF are great bullets they are limited in application and dont expand well at lower velocities.

Not to be too argumentative but Part and Aframe are very soft in the front and open easily. They are just very expensive and aren’t very slippery so they shed velocity quickly.

Correct. Partitions expand at both high and low velocity.

Consider you’re on a trophy elk hunt, only shot you have is quartering away, also consider you may not get a follow up shot opportunity.

That bullet needs to travel through a lot of muscle/bone before it reaches the vitals.

You guys can shoot whatever you want, everyone is entitled to their opinion (including me).

When money is on the line, I go with what’s worked for decades. Bullet costs are tiny in the grand scheme.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8992984 01/23/24 08:54 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Correct. Partitions expand at both high and low velocity.

Consider you’re on a trophy elk hunt, only shot you have is quartering away, also consider you may not get a follow up shot opportunity.

That bullet needs to travel through a lot of muscle/bone before it reaches the vitals.

You guys can shoot whatever you want, everyone is entitled to their opinion (including me).

When money is on the line, I go with what’s worked for decades. Bullet costs are tiny in the grand scheme.

its not a lot of muscle,

Ive taken that shoot w/115vld, think Im at 12 elk with cup and core ranging from 115 grains to 195 and 1 with partition, one with monolithic. That just me, Thats not including hunts Ive helped on, and Ive help packed out few random elk also.

Use what you want, but know you can put 223 70 gr through an elk shoulder into vitals over 250 yard

the paddle of a elk scapla is transparent when fresh, to the point you can hold it up to the light and see through it, does cloud out until it dries out.

For a once in life time hunt Id be learning to extend range “just incase “over arguing bullet integrity needs.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: scottfromdallas] #8992996 01/23/24 09:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

they barely expand and create terrible wound channels when pushed at lower velocity aka range.

here is a partition bull, 4 to be exact, that shooter pushed range on. The four shots killed it but wound channels where terrible, bull went far enough that the pack out turned in a fun one. Cup and core at that range would of made for a lot easier pack out. none the less, dead bull, happy hunter.

not saying partition is a bad bullet, Just Dusty’s expectations 1) are unfounded and 2) have more limitations then he knows. While not a huge bull its a good bull and was a 23pt PP unit,

[Linked Image]

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8993107 01/24/24 12:12 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Nice bull. They aren’t long range bullets for sure but I would expect them to open easily out to 300 yards.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8993126 01/24/24 12:26 AM
DustyArmadillo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Would point out the original gripe was about the SST disintegrating at close range.

Partitions don’t have that problem.

Sure every bullet has its limitations, but I haven’t seen any from a partition inside 400 yards at >=2800 fps at the muzzle.

One elk isn’t a large enough sample size to be statistically significant imo. (Sounds like it was a long range shot)

Just want the bullet with reliable expansion and high weight retention at normal hunting distances.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8993157 01/24/24 01:09 AM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Would point out the original gripe was about the SST disintegrating at close range.

Sure every bullet has its limitations, but I haven’t seen any from a partition inside 400 yards at >=2800 fps at the muzzle.

One elk isn’t a large enough sample size to be statistically significant imo. (Sounds like it was a long range shot)

Just want the bullet with reliable expansion and high weight retention at normal hunting distances.

That last line sums it up for me.

And for everyone that loves the SST’s performance, keep loving it. I don’t love them for what I’m doing. Nobody is going to change my mind and I doubt I’ll change y’all’s.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8993187 01/24/24 01:47 AM
Chickenman Offline
Extremely Right Wing
Extremely Right Wing
They used to sell the 7.62x39 steel case SST in 50 rd boxes for $37. I don't think they make them anymore. Those damn cartridges were great. Wish I could find some.

[Linked Image]
Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8993192 01/24/24 01:59 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

you have zero sampling size, I have multiple.

Long shots with aframes and partitions aren't that long of shots, thats the point,

wound channels > weight retention. You are over thinking toughness of elk.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8993195 01/24/24 02:03 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

And for everyone that loves the SST’s performance, keep loving it. I don’t love them for what I’m doing. Nobody is going to change my mind and I doubt I’ll change y’all’s.

Maybe don't use a .270 WSM for 80 yard shots on 120 pound whitetail.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8993215 01/24/24 02:33 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
From Hornady:

Thank you for contacting us. The recommended minimum impact velocity for the .277 140 grain SST bullet, product number 27352, is 1800 fps, and it should not exceed 2500 fps on impact for optimal performance. This velocity range ensures proper expansion of the bullet. Please remember that shot placement is also crucial for the best results. Avoid heavy bone and aim for vital areas such as the lungs or neck. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out. Thank you.

I guess the “performance at high velocity” that they advertise tops out around 6.8 spc speeds.

This.

I was disappointed in the results of the SST in my 270 but they worked great in my 6.5Grendel. After some research, I discovered that the 270 at 100 yards was not in the optimal working range of the bullet design. However, the 6.5G was in the sweet spot from muzzle to 200 yards.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8993237 01/24/24 03:13 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Sometimes less is more.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: J.G.] #8993240 01/24/24 03:16 AM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by J.G.

But but but you just said the SST was a fine bullet!

Pick a freakin lane dude.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8993250 01/24/24 03:32 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Isn’t a partition a cup and core bullet? It just has 2 cups and 2 cores. Never had issues getting them to expand.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8993388 01/24/24 01:48 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by J.G.

But but but you just said the SST was a fine bullet!

Pick a freakin lane dude.

I never said that. Many other people did though.

I said the bullet destroyed vitals and killed animals.

And again. Why use anything magnum on 80 yard shots on 120 pound whitetail? You can swat a fly with an 8 pound hammer, but a fly swatter is so much easier.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8993420 01/24/24 02:37 PM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Why not? I like the rifle. That’s all the justification I need.

Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8993426 01/24/24 02:46 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The use a bullet that will hold up better at those impact velocities.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Think I’m Done With SST [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8993427 01/24/24 02:48 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Why not? I like the rifle. That’s all the justification I need.

I think he meant your choice of bullet with that particular cartridge. An SST simply isn't up to the task. It would probably nearly vaporize if you shot a raccoon with it at the speed the wsm gives you. There's nothing wrong with the bullet and there's nothing wrong with the cartridge. They're just not a match for one another.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide