Forums46
Topics538,240
Posts9,734,709
Members87,077
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: Creekrunner] #8991875 01/22/24 02:16 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Buying land has been very, very good for my family for a few generations now. No investment "advisor" is ever going to suggest it - it's not in their "wheelhouse" (and they're not going make a commission/management fee).That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it...for diversification if nothing else.

Same here - one of my best friends is a long time real estate agent and he has helped me find 5 or 6 properties over the years that I later sold for better returns than I could ever get in the market. I just retired and think I am done on buy more land. We found 25 acres to live on near Georgetown 4 years ago and built a house and barn and it has a beautiful 2 acre pond on it. It has already more than doubled in value.

As everyone knows, real estate goes up and down so I have always tried to make sure that I had the ability to hold onto a property in case there was a downturn.

You can't fix stupid
Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: tlk] #8991881 01/22/24 02:20 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I stopped thinking about buying land to hunt when I realized I would be spending more time trying to maintain it and less time traveling with the wife. Any increase in value would end up with the kids and the wife and I are both ones to leave little for the kids. They all make a lot more than we did at their age and can follow their own saving plans for retirement. With a lease, I drive up, get out and hunt, and then go back home. As someone once said, spend less on stuff and more on experiences.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/22/24 02:24 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: Texas Dan] #8991886 01/22/24 02:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I stopped thinking about buying land to hunt when I realized I would be spending more time trying to maintain it and less time traveling with the wife. With a lease, I drive up, get out and hunt, and then go back home. As someone once said, spend less on stuff and more on experiences.

Maintain what? I just show up and hunt and get my dividend equivalent check from the mailbox

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: Texas Dan] #8991892 01/22/24 02:37 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I stopped thinking about buying land to hunt when I realized I would be spending more time trying to maintain it and less time traveling with the wife. Any increase in value would end up with the kids and the wife and I are both ones to leave little for the kids. They all make a lot more than we did at their age and can follow their own saving plans for retirement. With a lease, I drive up, get out and hunt, and then go back home. As someone once said, spend less on stuff and more on experiences.

Dang, what am i thinking? The profitable "disposal" of my properties will be my "daughters' "problem" to deal with.

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: Texas Dan] #8991901 01/22/24 02:53 PM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Proverbs 13:22

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: jgconst] #8991906 01/22/24 03:03 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by jgconst
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
ROI on land is not as good as ROI on properties. It has negative cash flow. That's why they want more down and higher payments. While you are waiting for the land to appreciate "if ever" you are paying taxes and upkeep on the land. So when you sell you have to subtract all your costs. Am I missing something?

Missing alot.

It’s true that a lot of raw land does not cash flow, at least not in any appreciable amount, at best Ag and Hunting leases will cover the taxes and then maybe a little for the kitty, whereas a residential rental will usually cover the note and taxes. On most portfolio loans your gonna have to put 20% down and the loan amount is proportional to the term.

However, both have expenses and upkeep. Raw recreational land in Texas typically accrues at a rate of 6-8% min year over year, with some locales accruing more. During the Covid era we saw some areas appreciate 25%-50% in one year.

With any property, be it residential, commercial or recreational rural you are gonna have entry and maintenance costs that are going to have to be subtracted from the gross proceeds upon sale to derive the net gain.

I saw it early in my career, that you could buy cheap land out in west Texas or the panhandle that had CRP and DCP contracts on them that would cover the note and pay off the land in a short amount of time, but I haven’t seen those deals in Texas for quite some time. This was old farmland that was being sold for $200-$350/acre, not prime country close to a metro area

I agree with you. Buying land versus a residential rental is no comparison on ROI. That's all I was saying. That if you want a big ROI it won't be from buying land. I am not knocking buying your own place to hunt, I just can't see how to do it and sell it for a profit when you are done.

its not going to cost you 6-8% a year of the value to maintain it.

I can give you countless examples of land that was bought and then resold for 20-50% higher in a year or two's time

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: txtrophy85] #8991922 01/22/24 03:19 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
ROI on land is not as good as ROI on properties. It has negative cash flow. That's why they want more down and higher payments. While you are waiting for the land to appreciate "if ever" you are paying taxes and upkeep on the land. So when you sell you have to subtract all your costs. Am I missing something?

Missing alot.

It’s true that a lot of raw land does not cash flow, at least not in any appreciable amount, at best Ag and Hunting leases will cover the taxes and then maybe a little for the kitty, whereas a residential rental will usually cover the note and taxes. On most portfolio loans your gonna have to put 20% down and the loan amount is proportional to the term.

However, both have expenses and upkeep. Raw recreational land in Texas typically accrues at a rate of 6-8% min year over year, with some locales accruing more. During the Covid era we saw some areas appreciate 25%-50% in one year.

With any property, be it residential, commercial or recreational rural you are gonna have entry and maintenance costs that are going to have to be subtracted from the gross proceeds upon sale to derive the net gain.

I saw it early in my career, that you could buy cheap land out in west Texas or the panhandle that had CRP and DCP contracts on them that would cover the note and pay off the land in a short amount of time, but I haven’t seen those deals in Texas for quite some time. This was old farmland that was being sold for $200-$350/acre, not prime country close to a metro area

I agree with you. Buying land versus a residential rental is no comparison on ROI. That's all I was saying. That if you want a big ROI it won't be from buying land. I am not knocking buying your own place to hunt, I just can't see how to do it and sell it for a profit when you are done.

its not going to cost you 6-8% a year of the value to maintain it.

I can give you countless examples of land that was bought and then resold for 20-50% higher in a year or two's time

My first ranch went 2.5x in value in 7 years and had an average yearly payout of $32 acre which essentially was a 7% yearly dividend based off purchase price.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: tlk] #8991930 01/22/24 03:26 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I’ll probably sell mine in a year or 2. Had it about 40 years and I’m getting old. Actually I have already gotten old; 81 yoa. Arthritis is kicking my butt and I’m having to depend on grandsons and son-in-law to do a bunch of things that I’ve done all my life. That really sux after a lifetime of stomping my own snakes.

It wasn’t supposed to happen to me.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 01/22/24 03:27 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: tlk] #8991942 01/22/24 03:46 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
ROI on rural, hunting acreage is a lot like other investments, will ultimately depend on prevailing market and level of leasehold improvements invested or not onto property. Mine have been minimal in nature and I know for nearly a fact that I could turn a 2-3x profit over what I paid 15 years ago for it based of surrounding sales comp pricing. Being 2 hours from metromess helps tremendously with ultimate ROI.

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: jgconst] #8992061 01/22/24 06:18 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I'm not seeing both sides of land ownership here. I get the warm fuzzy feeling of driving in your gate. But what about the other side?
Bad neighbors watching you leave and then hunting your property. Trespassers and poachers coming onto your property. Neighbors setting up feeders and blinds too close to the fence. People shooting across your property. Stealing your livestock, breaking in your house. Drunks driving through you fences and always that crazy neighbor you can't stand.

Buying a place big enough is a issue as well. Land in nice areas isn't cheap. After you build the house, driveway, and shop. Once you have the utilities installed and get blinds and feeders set up you know the place like the back of your hand. Hunting the same blind and spot over and over gets old. These reasons are why I lease. I also like exploring new property and seeing different deer.

Of course there are issues with leases as well.

Verde

I align with most he said above. Leasing a place I work very hard and long cause I WANT to but Im not sure doing work on my own place cause I HAVE to would be the same thing. Im older and blessed to not have to do much of anything I dont want to.
Neighbors wouldn’t concern me the way he explained except I wouldn’t want them shooting what they often shoot. To not worry about the neighbors hunting I would need way more country than I could afford(crux of my feelings). I want at least a few thousand acres to hunt and I have to lease to do that. I also don’t want to hunt the same two or three stands every time.
Owning land as an investment is a great idea and for some a few hundred acres is enough to hunt. Owning investment land is fine for me but I don’t want to hunt a small place and I dont want the hassle of ownership.
In a nutshell, I want to lease a lot of country as opposed to owning a small place cause it’s more enjoyable and can be managed easier for Trophy deer.
Another topic where everyone is going to have a different opinion cause everyone is different. That’s understandable as well as fine.

Last edited by freerange; 01/22/24 06:19 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: freerange] #8992150 01/22/24 08:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
I'm not seeing both sides of land ownership here. I get the warm fuzzy feeling of driving in your gate. But what about the other side?
Bad neighbors watching you leave and then hunting your property. Trespassers and poachers coming onto your property. Neighbors setting up feeders and blinds too close to the fence. People shooting across your property. Stealing your livestock, breaking in your house. Drunks driving through you fences and always that crazy neighbor you can't stand.

Buying a place big enough is a issue as well. Land in nice areas isn't cheap. After you build the house, driveway, and shop. Once you have the utilities installed and get blinds and feeders set up you know the place like the back of your hand. Hunting the same blind and spot over and over gets old. These reasons are why I lease. I also like exploring new property and seeing different deer.

Verde

I align with most he said above. Leasing a place I work very hard and long cause I WANT to but Im not sure doing work on my own place cause I HAVE to would be the same thing. Im older and blessed to not have to do much of anything I dont want to.
Neighbors wouldn’t concern me the way he explained except I wouldn’t want them shooting what they often shoot. To not worry about the neighbors hunting I would need way more country than I could afford(crux of my feelings). I want at least a few thousand acres to hunt and I have to lease to do that. I also don’t want to hunt the same two or three stands every time.
Owning land as an investment is a great idea and for some a few hundred acres is enough to hunt. Owning investment land is fine for me but I don’t want to hunt a small place and I dont want the hassle of ownership.
In a nutshell, I want to lease a lot of country as opposed to owning a small place cause it’s more enjoyable and can be managed easier for Trophy deer.
Another topic where everyone is going to have a different opinion cause everyone is different. That’s understandable as well as fine.

Do you look at land as part of your retirement fund or just hunting?

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8992165 01/22/24 08:49 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by freerange

Verde

Do you look at land as part of your retirement fund or just hunting?

Me??? I don’t look at buying land for hunting at all.
Buying land for investment/retirement fund is great if you can hold for long enough or just enjoy flipping em. For me, I don’t see owning land in my future.
For someone that is ok with hunting smaller acreage and needs a place to invest for future then buying land to hunt would be an obvious choice. I don’t fit either category.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: tlk] #8992168 01/22/24 08:52 PM
J
jgconst Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Freerange, I agree with you. After hunting big acreage leases the idea of hunting 200-400 acres with friends and guests is not that appealing. Especially after you have gotten thoroughly familiar with said property.

Even if you paid cash for 200-300 acres and kept it for 15 years, when you sell it you would need to subtract taxes and improvements you have paid to see actual ROI. If you financed it and paid 8 % interest on the mortgage it would be even less ROI. Like DQ said, it would depend on prevailing market.

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: tlk] #8992206 01/22/24 10:02 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
This thread could have just asked who all here are city folks / weekend hunters and want to do that until they die.

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: tlk] #8992208 01/22/24 10:03 PM
D
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
The ROI is pretty attractive if you do the right timing/forecasting/get lucky, etc. I paid $43,560 for my 133 acres a heckuva long, long, time ago. Realtor’s are now telling me I could list it for $10,000 per acre and come off a little. I don’t live there. Yeah, I’d rather be lucky than smart. The migration to Texas has all real estate sky rocketing.

Other than going to Africa one time, I’ve seldom hunted anywhere else since I bought it. That recent 4 year drought hit my wildlife pretty hard. I only saw 5 or 6 deer this year, no turkeys and only one mess of pigs. Stock tanks got so low, I lost 90% of the fish. I’ll restock if and/or when we get some big rains.

Until I bought it, I hunted a lot of different parts of the West and Southwest and fished a lot of tournaments. Now, rural land everyday expenses and taxes have me hunting and fishing at home. I have some young men filling feeders, cutting brush, building stands, etc. They have been hunting there since they were pre teens. Thats good when the old guy gets arthritis and really is handicapped.

When I do sell, I’ll have a heckuva tax bill. But, I guess that’s not a bad problem to have. I’ll have some left or my wife will.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: jgconst] #8992309 01/22/24 11:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Freerange, I agree with you. After hunting big acreage leases the idea of hunting 200-400 acres with friends and guests is not that appealing. Especially after you have gotten thoroughly familiar with said property.

Even if you paid cash for 200-300 acres and kept it for 15 years, when you sell it you would need to subtract taxes and improvements you have paid to see actual ROI. If you financed it and paid 8 % interest on the mortgage it would be even less ROI. Like DQ said, it would depend on prevailing market.

You arent allowing any land producing income into the argument, land isnt income less unless you choose it to be. I have a piece of land that returns 17% of purchase price yearly. Its mail box money, I do nothing. Tenant is on 5 year lease, same tenant for past 12 years.

what land improvement expenses are you talking about? Land improvement is voluntary, Rental property not so much…..

land for me is an income producing extension of my investment portfillo… But i guess you could just invest in land REITs and not get to hunt it ever

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: tlk] #8992330 01/23/24 12:19 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I've leased all of my life, but my dream has always been to own my own little piece of hunting property for my family & friends. I have recently began making changes in my life that will help me get there. Sold my big azz house on 5 acres, paid truck & RV off early, and now I'm living in my RV for a spell. Goal is to SAVE money, something I couldn't do living where I was. I'm 46 yrs old now and a PawPaw to two grandsons and have no retirement plan. I've made a lot of money in my life but have nothing to show for it now. Before I die I will have a piece of ground for my family to have fun on. Obviously a big ranch is out of the question, but 200-300 acres in my old stomping grounds of S Texas is what I'm looking for, or will be looking for....a place big enough to develop for damn good dove hunting, pigs, a few deer, and some rabbit hunting. Would like to buy thick undeveloped ground, and slowly build her up. Build a medium sized efficient barndo & shop with some guest quarters on it. Keep it simple and live out the rest of my days there.

Of course, when you love to fish and purchase boats that adds to the delay of things....

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: tlk] #8992352 01/23/24 12:40 AM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
What all this “maintenance” y’all mention? As a landowner, I can’t think of anything that would be considered maintenance that I’m doing that I wouldn’t be doing if I was leasing.

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: Double AC] #8992370 01/23/24 12:57 AM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Originally Posted by Double AC
What all this “maintenance” y’all mention? As a landowner, I can’t think of anything that would be considered maintenance that I’m doing that I wouldn’t be doing if I was leasing.

As an owner, this is what I’ve been wondering. Maintenance and improvements are not the same. Ag, timber, wildlife, etc exemption, taxes are just over a dollar an acre per year. I don’t know what else there is that is required maintenance that even comes close to disrupting 7-10 pct rise in value per year. And that 7-10pct on a property within 2 hours of any population of people can easily be in the 25 pct range

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: woodduckhunter] #8992385 01/23/24 01:07 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by woodduckhunter

As an owner, this is what I’ve been wondering. Maintenance and improvements are not the same. Ag, timber, wildlife, etc exemption, taxes are just over a dollar an acre per year. I don’t know what else there is that is required maintenance that even comes close to disrupting 7-10 pct rise in value per year. And that 7-10pct on a property within 2 hours of any population of people can easily be in the 25 pct range

My electric is about $45/month, insurance $238/month.

Feed is about $300/month.

Two of those things I’d have regardless of if I owned or leased.

I’ve spent some money in cedar clearing but it only made the value of the land go up further and enhanced the aesthetic appeal.

Maintaining a rural place is not all that expensive unless you have special circumstances. But you can have that with a lease. I know guys who have big south Texas leases were 4 of them will drop a combined $100k in feed plus biologist costs.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: txtrophy85] #8992460 01/23/24 02:04 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by woodduckhunter

My electric is about $45/month, insurance $238/month.

Feed is about $300/month.

Two of those things I’d have regardless of if I owned or leased.

I’ve spent some money in cedar clearing but it only made the value of the land go up further and enhanced the aesthetic appeal.

Maintaining a rural place is not all that expensive unless you have special circumstances. But you can have that with a lease. I know guys who have big south Texas leases were 4 of them will drop a combined $100k in feed plus biologist costs.

there are enough soil and pasture conservation programs you can either wipe all or part of the costs away also

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: tlk] #8992541 01/23/24 03:25 AM
3kcattle Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Interesting read here. The two biggest words that separate leasing from owning are…..write offs. The next two are…Ag Exemption. All maintenance and taxes are a write off. So are most anything you do to maintain and improve your place. We own income producing properties that consist of pasture, wheat fields, and cattle. Wheat brings deer and pigs, as the cattle gain. Wheat dies, sunflowers grow, Hello dove! A regular paradise. The absolute best decision our family made was to invest in land. Yes, we lease some too, but owning is by far a financial benefit. Work? Yes, but I enjoy every minute of it. Bobo speaks of programs that can benefit your property and you financially, he’s right, they can and do. Wildlife Exemptions? Bird Sanctuary? CRP? Timber? All kinds of programs for each part of the state. And, I haven’t even mentioned ROI from land value perspective. We all believe that will only continue to increase because it always has. “They ain’t making any more of it”

Dave, enjoy those grandkids and son-in-law. You are teaching them lessons they can’t learn anywhere else. 81 not to old. Keep going and make them load up and clean what you kill. My Dad killed his last deer at 90. You can too.

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: tlk] #8992701 01/23/24 02:41 PM
D
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
3K, those guys have been there since they were small children. When my grandson was in the 3rd grade his teacher called me and asked if I would come and speak to the kids about the rural world. I spoke about the balance of nature like the symbiotic relationship between coyotes and rabbits, deer, drought effects on nature and wildlife, livestock, etc. I’m still doing it but to a couple more classes of town kids.

One of my grandsons friends was in the 3rd grade audience. Grandson said that he had a friend that also wanted to hunt. I said ok and that young man is still there along with his fiancé. Couldn’t run him off by chunking rocks. He recently proposed to her there and that’s where they want to honeymoon. Of course, I said OK.

Grandson lost his virginity there to the girl that is now his wife.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 01/23/24 02:49 PM.

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: tlk] #8993062 01/23/24 11:04 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
After moving to this amazing state in 1998 and having a number of leases that were less then rewarding my wife asked why don't we buy a place, I must say she shocked me but she's a great friend and partner and I felt empowered with her support so we commenced the search in 2009, I lived on Padre Island but had a daughter and family in CO and one in KS. both with hunting grandsons and son-in-laws.

Picked a mid point for us to gather which was in the Dickens county area, After a number of disappointments found 160 acres in a family trust with no improvements, with folks eager to sell. Long story short we settled on 500,00 an acre,

Best decision of my life, Retired now 10 years and this p[ace has kept me young and mentally focused, Finished a Morgan shed into a comfortable cabin, fenced 3 miles of perimeter and cross fence. had a well drilled and installed pump and piping created food plots and improved cover,

The labor is a labor of love and yep my kids will reap the financial benefit as it's at least quadrupled in value. and the quality of the deer has improved accordingly.

Re: own your own property or lease??? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8993066 01/23/24 11:12 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Grandson lost his virginity there to the girl that is now his wife.

I want my grandsons to share everything they're comfortable with with me...but I'm not sure what I'd respond to this. I'll come up with a plan, just in case. blush

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide