Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Horizon Firearms #8990903 01/20/24 04:29 PM
syncerus Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Looking at the Vandal Long and the Venatic in .300 WM. Which do you prefer, and why? This would be a hunting rifle, not a target rifle.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: syncerus] #8991148 01/21/24 12:53 AM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
I handled a Vandal Long yesterday and I really liked it. Almost couldn’t give it back to the store. If it had a 20” barrel instead of 24” it would be in my house.

Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: syncerus] #8991167 01/21/24 01:26 AM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I had an interest in a Horizon rifle. Such that I emailed them to verify that they'd be at DSC this year. Then I sought them out and visited them at DSC.

One - no response to my email. Two - at DSC they couldn't seem less interested in talking to me.

I guess sales are so great that they don't need to bother. No problem, good for them. I'm just one sale. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt they build a great rifle. But if I'm not worth even a boilerplate email response or [obligatory] sales pitch they are worthless to me. I don't care about whatever THF - Horizon circle jerk there may be.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: Mickey Moose] #8991178 01/21/24 01:42 AM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
I had an interest in a Horizon rifle. Such that I emailed them to verify that they'd be at DSC this year. Then I sought them out and visited them at DSC.

One - no response to my email. Two - at DSC they couldn't seem less interested in talking to me.

I guess sales are so great that they don't need to bother. No problem, good for them. I'm just one sale. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt they build a great rifle. But if I'm not worth even a boilerplate email response or [obligatory] sales pitch they are worthless to me. I don't care about whatever THF - Horizon circle jerk there may be.

Yeah, I agree.

Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: syncerus] #8991303 01/21/24 07:48 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I think Derek answers all the emails himself and he is a busy guy. I don’t know him nor have I met him in person but when I had email correspondence with him it took several days for replies. From what I can tell they are good people they are just dealing with growing pains from the rapid success of their products.

Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: syncerus] #8991321 01/21/24 12:42 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
IMO, he is making a bad mistake. I’m an ex business owner. Now retired. If a customer or even potential customer wanted to talk to me, I’m all ears.

Why? Because they sign the front of the check and I sign the back. If they wot talk to me before the sale, they damn sure won’t after they have my money.

Customer service is part of my advertising budget.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 01/21/24 12:44 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: Sewer rat] #8991420 01/21/24 03:38 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I think Derek answers all the emails himself and he is a busy guy. I don’t know him nor have I met him in person but when I had email correspondence with him it took several days for replies. From what I can tell they are good people they are just dealing with growing pains from the rapid success of their products.

All that may be true, but displaying a total lack of interest when a potential customer stands before them FTF at a show, where the idea is to exercise a rapport with customers, does not give one the warm-and-fuzzies. I'd walk away too.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: RiverRider] #8991422 01/21/24 03:43 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Sewer rat

All that may be true, but displaying a total lack of interest when a potential customer stands before them FTF at a show, where the idea is to exercise a rapport with customers, does not give one the warm-and-fuzzies. I'd walk away too.

Yes.

If you have so much work, you cannot take on anymore, then don't show up at a convention trying to drum up more work. My Dad told me "when you are good people will wait on you". Just be honest. Sir, I'd be happy to take on your project, but just to let you know we we are a year backed up. Or whatever the time-line is.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: J.G.] #8991457 01/21/24 05:00 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Yep, I'll wait for quality. A problem I see is when someone says, your on the schedule but there's a XX week lead time, then that time is doubled or more. If you have no idea, just say that. If you're that unorganized, it can lose you repeat customers. I wish Horizon all the best, but this thread will not be soon forgotten. It takes a long time to build a reputation and seconds to lose it.

Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: syncerus] #8991472 01/21/24 05:33 PM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I know Derrick is at SHOT .
I also know that the office manager has been out with Covid and I they are trying to hire additional staff to keep up with growth.
BUT still this shouldn’t happen.
Here is Derrick’s email I would reach out and knowing the person he is you will get a response.

derrick@horizonfirearms.com

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: syncerus] #8991505 01/21/24 06:45 PM
H
HorizonFirearms Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I appreciate y’all sharing your concerns and frustrations. Yes, we have experienced some serious growth recently, but isn’t an excuse for poor customer service. I would like to try and get to the bottom of this, because even though I don’t answer every email or take every phone call anymore, how our customers (and potential customers) are treated is very important to me.

What day were you at DSC? I personally went on Saturday, I would like to narrow down who you were working with so we can handle that internally.

How did you try to contact us? We do monitor all of the sales emails and what we are seeing is that everything has been taken care of / answered. We have a brand new website so if you tried to reach out through that, I’m wondering if a form is broken that we need to look into.

Did you call the shop? If you did, can you PM us our phone number so we can check our call logs.

And just so y’all have a little bit of context, we currently only have 2 people that are on the phones. We are working on hiring 2 more, but right now their average call log is more than 70 calls a day EACH. And we have been having issues with our phone systems so much that we are actually switching to a new on before the end of the month. The new system will allow us to receive texts, voicemail notifications, and call logs directly to our cell phones.

I would also ask to anyone having these issues with Horizon, please email and let me know. I can’t guarantee I will be the person that will handle it, but I will at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Again, I appreciate y’alls patience as we work through this.

Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: HorizonFirearms] #8991522 01/21/24 07:13 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Derrick, I appreciate the response, thank you. I will respond privately and then you are free to publicly share whatever you want from the discussion as a follow-up to this thread.

Syncerus, I apologize for completely derailing your thread; hopefully it doesn't dissuade your interest because no matter what I believe they build solids products.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: syncerus] #8991574 01/21/24 08:41 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
this is why there is a year wait for most custom builds.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: Buzzsaw] #8991581 01/21/24 08:57 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
this is why there is a year wait for most custom builds.

No, this doesn’t have anything to do with that. Matter of fact, at this point Derrick controls almost all his own lead times and I bet could get you a new rifle much faster than a year.

Why there is a year wait on custom builds have more to do with parts and their associated lead times. Gunsmiths have to plan (if they are good and there are a lot of good ones in Texas) 4-6 months out because that’s minimum what stocks and barrels are taking right now and that’s better than where the industry has been. You want to not whine about build times…get all your parts rounded up and take them to your gunsmith. I don’t know any who are running much longer than 8-12 weeks if you do it this way. Many almost prefer this because they don’t make near enough on parts to warrant the headache from guys like you that think it’s them holding up their build.

^^^ that’s all serious…for my kick Buzz in the grapes parting shot wink

There aren’t many gunsmiths willing to sit years on a gay [censored] white stock waiting for that one old man to come in and buy it to match their velcro tennis shoes and sunglasses. roflmao roflmao

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: Judd] #8991584 01/21/24 09:00 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Judd

There aren’t many gunsmiths willing to sit years on a gay [censored] white stock waiting for that one old man to come in and buy it to match their velcro tennis shoes and sunglasses. roflmao roflmao

So far, this is the quote of the year! clap

Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: LonestarCobra] #8991614 01/21/24 09:56 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
Originally Posted by Judd

So far, this is the quote of the year! clap

roflmao

That's my dawg!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: syncerus] #8991748 01/22/24 02:39 AM
syncerus Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I got what I needed out of this thread. Thank you to everyone who participated especially Derrick.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: syncerus] #9027673 04/01/24 05:59 PM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I met with Horizon at DSC on Friday, went up in their fancy trailer to discuss building at 22 Creedmoor for my daughter, gave them barrel type, length, thread, stock, trigger, and bottom metal I wanted they entered all my information in the computer...name, address, phone number said they would be in touch after the show. Ballpark $5,000 build. Never heard a word.

Business must indeed be good.

Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: Mickey Moose] #9027713 04/01/24 07:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
Derrick, I appreciate the response, thank you. I will respond privately and then you are free to publicly share whatever you want from the discussion as a follow-up to this thread.

Syncerus, I apologize for completely derailing your thread; hopefully it doesn't dissuade your interest because no matter what I believe they build solids products.

Derrick was spot on CS and timelines when he built my gun, and accuracy exceeded his guarantee . All I can add.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Horizon Firearms [Re: syncerus] #9032764 04/12/24 01:02 AM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I worked with Derrick to fix a stock for me a couple years ago that somebody else royally screwed up. Not only was he awesome and reasonable, he brought the stock to Dallas personally so I could pick it up from him at DSC and ran it out to me so I didn’t have to pay for a ticket since I didn’t have time to enjoy the show. That was a decade ago, and I’m sure they have grown like crazy since then, but it made an impact.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide