Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Red Wolves? [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #8745747 11/30/22 12:38 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Info that I read about Red Wolves were they were common through out SW TX, West, TX & New Mexico., last I heard here was a small population in New Mexico

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Red Wolves? [Re: Stub] #8745901 11/30/22 03:37 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Stub
Info that I read about Red Wolves were they were common through out SW TX, West, TX & New Mexico., last I heard here was a small population in New Mexico

That’s not red wolves that Mexican grey wolves. It’s a subspecies

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_wolf

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Red Wolves? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8745970 11/30/22 12:11 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Yep had my breeds mixed up, it was the Mexican wolf I was thinking of in that region, not the Red.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Red Wolves? [Re: Stub] #8746002 11/30/22 01:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Yep had my breeds mixed up, it was the Mexican wolf I was thinking of in that region, not the Red.

That pack got a lot of controversy few years ago. The alpha male killed some cattle and the female biologist hid the proof it was him to keep him alive. Her defense was the make was needed for genetic diversity

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Red Wolves? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8968946 12/06/23 10:38 PM
W
waderaider1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
yea I shot one in 2013 weighed 64#. I have photos on game cam to. Ive heard them howl. they sound like wolves. when the coyotes start singing they stop immediately when the wolves howl. I was covered up last december and they are starting to show more and my deer have disapeard again. I have red one grey ones and one melanistic on camera.

Re: Red Wolves? [Re: waderaider1] #8968959 12/06/23 11:06 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by waderaider1
yea I shot one in 2013 weighed 64#. I have photos on game cam to. Ive heard them howl. they sound like wolves. when the coyotes start singing they stop immediately when the wolves howl. I was covered up last december and they are starting to show more and my deer have disapeard again. I have red one grey ones and one melanistic on camera.

worthless

Re: Red Wolves? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8969006 12/07/23 01:04 AM
T
Triton$ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
[quote=Smokey Bear]Did these walk from North Carolina as well?
[Linked Image]

Compare that to the picture I posted earlier in this thread and it might change your perspective. The young man holding that canine is my son. So first hand there are canines here in Texas that appear to possess the coloration, heavier body type and conformation of the once thought extinct in Texas Red Wolf that has since been confirmed as being present on The Texas coast. [/quote

Those aren't wolves. They are coyotes with trace amounts of wolf dna. There are no wolves in Texas

Re: Red Wolves? [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #8989952 01/18/24 03:19 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Interesting article on melanistic coyotes and Red Wolf hybridization.

https://deerassociation.com/a-wolf-...medium=email&utm_campaign=01-18-2024

I find it suspect that they attribute melanism to hybridization but then found zero melanistic "red wolves." I'd also like to again point out that the 1st "red wolf" was discovered in the 1700s when scientists knew practically nothing about genetics and simply went off of appearances. Interesting, nonetheless.

Re: Red Wolves? [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #8990415 01/19/24 03:33 PM
S
ScrapIron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
This was 66 lbs outta trinity River bottom
Biggest one I’ve ever seen

Attached Files IMG_1334.jpeg
Re: Red Wolves? [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #8995620 01/28/24 03:43 AM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
We have some big coyotes here in Missouri. Coyotes in excess of 75 pounds are killed and verified every year, and i know of one that was 104 pounds fairly recently. I don’t think it’s just coyote in their DNA but I don’t really want to go there.

We had red wolves in North Carolina. I don’t care what “they” say we had them. I think we have some in Missouri, too but i can not confirm.

Red wolves were re-introduced to Arkansas last year or the year before last. That is a verifiable fact. If they are not in Texas yet, they will be before long.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Red Wolves? [Re: ScrapIron] #8995621 01/28/24 03:44 AM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by ScrapIron
This was 66 lbs outta trinity River bottom
Biggest one I’ve ever seen

A fawns worst nightmare

Re: Red Wolves? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8995820 01/28/24 04:07 PM
G
Graycard Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
We have some big coyotes here in Missouri. Coyotes in excess of 75 pounds are killed and verified every year, and i know of one that was 104 pounds fairly recently. I don’t think it’s just coyote in their DNA but I don’t really want to go there.

We had red wolves in North Carolina. I don’t care what “they” say we had them. I think we have some in Missouri, too but i can not confirm.

Red wolves were re-introduced to Arkansas last year or the year before last. That is a verifiable fact. If they are not in Texas yet, they will be before long.

I am old enough to offer a little history lesson.

The trouble in NC is we are getting flooded with coyotes! Coyotes are not native to NC! No one really knows when the first one showed up in NC but now they are now everywhere in the State! To add to the problem, our coyotes are usually a bit bigger than the western coyote. The reason given by the NC Wildlife is our coyotes came from the North and migrated down to the South. While they were taking this little vacation heading to the South, the coyote crossbred with dogs and grey wolves. We are told that the Western Coyote worked there way from the West to the North East and then South.
Whatever path they took no longer matters, they are here. They also did something that no other animal has ever done! They opened up night hunting in the State. Twenty years ago you would have been put under the jail if you were caught "hunting" after dark and using a flashlight. Now the coyote problem is so bad you can hunt them 24/7.

Now enters the Red Wolf!!!
North Carolina does have the "Red Wolf." Some clown in federal wildlife had a wet dream and decided Eastern NC was a good spot to "reintroduce" the species. You can imagine the fun that started! We had just opened the State wide coyote hunting and then the Feds tries to bring in an animal that looks like a big coyote. They put them in a Federal Park but forgot to give the "wolves" a state map. It wasn't long before most of the introduced wolves were shot as soon as they crossed the park's boundary line. That didn't go over too well with the Feds. The Federal Wildlife tried to outlaw coyote hunting in a five county area surrounding the Fed. Park to solve their problem. That didn't go over too well with the NC Wildlife and our good-old-boy hunters. (Hold my beer and watch this!)
Lets just say the NC Wildlife was not happy with the Fed. Wildlife (who failed to consult them before starting their little project.) NC Wildlife told the Feds to gather up their little red wolf and get the hell out of the State! After a good bit of back and forth both sides came to an agreement. You can shoot a coyote day or night everywhere EXCEPT in that five county area. In those five counties you can shoot a coyote only during the day. AND the Feds are trying to go back put a orange collar on their wolves! grin
We even have a picture of both the coyote and red wolf in our state regulations booklet.
All of this proves something every good Southerner already knows. Don't get the feds. involved!
Just to add a few tidbits. The NC Wildlife Federation has also added hogs, armadillos, and nutria to our shoot-on-sight list. Also, while we are talking about the ""red wolf", Half of the "EXPERTS" say the red wolf is a separate species. The other half still says the red wolf is just a crossbred between the coyote and gray wolf.
Meanwhile, NC does not have any cougars. Our state experts told us so! All of the reports over the year are just our poor eyesight.

Re: Red Wolves? [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #8996216 01/29/24 02:14 AM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
North Carolina has cougars. I believe they range in every state that shares a part of the Appalachian trail.

Coyotes? Do NOT get me started on that. I lived in Fayetteville, NC when there was a coyote hunting ban on Fort Bragg, and the city hired teams to deal with them. I saw them darting through and between houses every day when i got off work. I lived in the subdivision over there on Cameron Woods lane. I am not gonna speak on coyote control in my neighborhood, just know they were controlled.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 01/29/24 02:15 AM.

Re: Red Wolves? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8996373 01/29/24 02:18 PM
G
Graycard Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
North Carolina has cougars. I believe they range in every state that shares a part of the Appalachian trail.

Coyotes? Do NOT get me started on that. I lived in Fayetteville, NC when there was a coyote hunting ban on Fort Bragg, and the city hired teams to deal with them. I saw them darting through and between houses every day when i got off work. I lived in the subdivision over there on Cameron Woods lane. I am not gonna speak on coyote control in my neighborhood, just know they were controlled.

Ah, Fayetteville, my birth place! Bragg is Federal property so you know they have to be different. Now I live about 15-20 miles from the Appalachian Trail. I've only seen one cougars since we built up here but I've taken 26 coyotes out of my bathroom window! grin I've seen some big coyotes but no red wolves.
The only thing I have not seen here is a bigfoot and a unicorn. (I'm still holding out hope for a unicorn.)

Re: Red Wolves? [Re: 6InARowMakeItGo] #8996393 01/29/24 02:47 PM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I shot my first whitetail on Fort Bragg. I used to hang out up at the outdoor rec center. The biologists told me they did the ban so a university could conduct a study on the coyotes out there. It was a pure bs study, they determined that the coyotes don’t affect deer populations for starters. Which is funny because the biologists told me they closed the areas early based on what they knew the coyotes were taking. They took real good care of the deer herd on post and were especially strict on doe harvest.

There actually *was* a decline in the deer herd, I read the study and the way they worded it pretty much said it was well within the normal range of the way it fluctuates. But there was no EHD kills or any of that, and hunter harvest was strictly limited especially on does. It was purely the coyotes.

It’s not enough that every other study on the survival rate of fawns has shown that most fawns deaths were killed and eaten by predators, and of that mostly coyotes and feral dogs. Coyotes and feral dogs literally kill more fawns than disease, fire, flood, or any other single phenomenon. And all other predators combined, do not surpass what coyotes and feral dogs do. I will never get over it, it is evil what they did with that study and they should be held liable for making false official statements. Or something, they should be held liable somehow because they lie lie lie lied their tails off. The one biologist, that told me about all this, went red in the face the first time I ever asked about the coyote hunting. He was not happy to deal with them, he knew they lied.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 01/29/24 02:51 PM.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide