Forums46
Topics538,239
Posts9,734,696
Members87,077
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Local Doctor Killed in Plane Crash [Re: Roll-Tide] #8989498 01/17/24 04:51 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Thats exactly what I see with many of these crashes. Pilots usually get trained on a small Cessna. Then want to immediately upgrade aircraft.

Many rely way too often on autopilot and iPad for navigation and natural skills diminish or never fully develop.

This particular crash, he was flying a Cessna 310. Which is a dual prop aircraft.

FlightAware shows a steady decrease in elevation.

he had to have alot of different endorsements and rating to fly a 310

regardless sounds like he wasnt in a C310 R as its rated for known ice.

prayers sent to family, bad deal

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Local Doctor Killed in Plane Crash [Re: Roll-Tide] #8989525 01/17/24 05:20 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Thats exactly what I see with many of these crashes. Pilots usually get trained on a small Cessna. Then want to immediately upgrade aircraft.

Many rely way too often on autopilot and iPad for navigation and natural skills diminish or never fully develop.

This particular crash, he was flying a Cessna 310. Which is a dual prop aircraft.

The other day I saw that a female YouTuber pilot crashed her plane that she was inexperienced with because of the autopilot.

Re: Local Doctor Killed in Plane Crash [Re: Nolanco] #8989527 01/17/24 05:26 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Nolanco
I realize the cause remains to be investigated, but in a situation of wing icing, do you just suddenly begin to lose lift followed by irreversible descent?

Your wings end up being re-shaped by the ice and no longer work as designed. You would likely lose lift and/or your airplane becomes uncontrollable. Control surfaces may not work or respond correctly. Very important instruments like airspeed and altitude may stop working or provide unreliable data. It's a bad situation that grows worse very quickly.

Airplanes certified for icy conditions have all sorts of options to deal with the above.

But the decision to go in the first place is usually where the outcome was set into motion. There's a disease called "Get-There-Itis" which has killed many pilots including JFK Jr.

To be determined
Re: Local Doctor Killed in Plane Crash [Re: S.A. hunter] #8989528 01/17/24 05:29 PM
Roll-Tide Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

The other day I saw that a female YouTuber pilot crashed her plane that she was inexperienced with because of the autopilot.

TNFlygirl. She was a terrible pilot. Didn’t know how the autopilot worked. Just kept pushing buttons. Could not VFR and got lost.

Re: Local Doctor Killed in Plane Crash [Re: Roll-Tide] #8989539 01/17/24 05:49 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

TNFlygirl. She was a terrible pilot. Didn’t know how the autopilot worked. Just kept pushing buttons. Could not VFR and got lost.

Yeah it was sad to watch the videos of her trying to figure out the autopilot knowing what would eventually happen.

Re: Local Doctor Killed in Plane Crash [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8989540 01/17/24 05:51 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted by Nolanco
I realize the cause remains to be investigated, but in a situation of wing icing, do you just suddenly begin to lose lift followed by irreversible descent?

Your wings end up being re-shaped by the ice and no longer work as designed. You would likely lose lift and/or your airplane becomes uncontrollable. Control surfaces may not work or respond correctly. Very important instruments like airspeed and altitude may stop working or provide unreliable data. It's a bad situation that grows worse very quickly.

Airplanes certified for icy conditions have all sorts of options to deal with the above.

But the decision to go in the first place is usually where the outcome was set into motion. There's a disease called "Get-There-Itis" which has killed many pilots including JFK Jr.

^^^^^

This.

You absolutely need to know when to turn around or postpone (and then DO IT.)

I don't know the circumstances involved in this crash but 'icing' seems most logical.

I was going to town a couple of days ago and my windshield was icing almost faster than the defroster could melt it.

A very strange weather condition. Air temps in the mid teens, BUT there was somehow a misting rain making it to the ground.

As soon as the 'mist' touched anything....it immediately froze. Typically in that kind of weather you would see ice pellets, sleet or snow, but this was a very fine mist right on the verge of freezing. It was a struggle to keep the windshield cleared.

I can see how an airplane wing would quickly be coated in the same conditions.

Last edited by flintknapper; 01/17/24 05:52 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Local Doctor Killed in Plane Crash [Re: Roll-Tide] #8989631 01/17/24 08:45 PM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Prayers

Big Beckett!!
Re: Local Doctor Killed in Plane Crash [Re: Roll-Tide] #8989755 01/18/24 12:42 AM
texasag93 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Seeing that he went to 1200ft with a steady decent and then gained some altitude before hitting the ground, I wonder if he entered 1200 MSL into the autopilot instead of 1200 AGL (calculated) would cause the autopilot to drive to the imputed altitude. An ice covered windscreen would keep a pilot from realizing it.

He was also descending in reported/forecasted/encountered ice. That is the opposite of what the standard procedure is.

Bad situation. TurkeyHunter is right. Get-there-itis is HUGE in the general aviation community.

I am also very interested to find out what he was telling ATC as there was no approach procedure for runway 36. It is all recorded, so it will come out.

Last edited by texasag93; 01/18/24 12:43 AM.
Re: Local Doctor Killed in Plane Crash [Re: Roll-Tide] #8989805 01/18/24 02:28 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Great guy from a great family that I have known my whole life. Tragic

Re: Local Doctor Killed in Plane Crash [Re: Roll-Tide] #8989843 01/18/24 03:43 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Horrible to think about.

I had a REAL close call with my 9, 12, & 26 yr old kids driving to Paint Rock last Friday night to hunt. Scared me pretty good. Dozing off driving at 2:30 am and hit a wreck with a guardrail twisted across half the road at a perfect angle to decapitate passengers, 18 wheeler trying to move and cars swerving. Hit brakes and truck started drifting at 75. I could have killed almost everything I care about because I was complacent. How I was able to swerve in between and avoid that sure makes a man think.

My heart beat HARD for 30 minutes after that. Yes I do believe in Angels. It was very close, but not our time.

Re: Local Doctor Killed in Plane Crash [Re: skinnerback] #8989879 01/18/24 12:21 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Horrible to think about.

I had a REAL close call with my 9, 12, & 26 yr old kids driving to Paint Rock last Friday night to hunt. Scared me pretty good. Dozing off driving at 2:30 am and hit a wreck with a guardrail twisted across half the road at a perfect angle to decapitate passengers, 18 wheeler trying to move and cars swerving. Hit brakes and truck started drifting at 75. I could have killed almost everything I care about because I was complacent. How I was able to swerve in between and avoid that sure makes a man think.

My heart beat HARD for 30 minutes after that. Yes I do believe in Angels. It was very close, but not our time.

15 minute nap will get you 2hrs of drive time, if not sunflower seeds and a monster energy drink will get you 5.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide