Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Where have the hogs gone? #8988081 01/15/24 02:02 PM
Wilson Combat Online Content OP
Boar Meister
OP Online Content
Boar Meister
I'm in eastern Red River county and since Sept the hog hunting has sucked big time. I blame most of it on the banner crop of acorns we had, but by now I would expect most of them to be gone or rotten and I'm still not seeing many hogs. The local feed store owner in Clarksville tells me people are reporting seeing lots of hogs up by the Red River, but few elsewhere.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8988111 01/15/24 02:41 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
I'm in eastern Red River county and since Sept the hog hunting has sucked big time. I blame most of it on the banner crop of acorns we had, but by now I would expect most of them to be gone or rotten and I'm still not seeing many hogs. The local feed store owner in Clarksville tells me people are reporting seeing lots of hogs up by the Red River, but few elsewhere.

On the Red River (Prarie Dog Town Fork) in the panhandle our numbers haven't declined at all. Our hunting pressure is very low compared to your area. Are your sightings down across the board, daylight and dark? If yes would you agree that it may be that hunting pressure has finally caught up for your area and they've migrated away?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8988252 01/15/24 05:45 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Wish I were as lucky as you Bill. They're all over my place in Freestone Co.

Last edited by garyrapp55; 01/15/24 05:45 PM.
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8988369 01/15/24 08:57 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

On the Red River (Prarie Dog Town Fork) in the panhandle our numbers haven't declined at all. Our hunting pressure is very low compared to your area. Are your sightings down across the board, daylight and dark? If yes would you agree that it may be that hunting pressure has finally caught up for your area and they've migrated away?

As you know, I'm just north of there, but I haven't seen a dozen hogs since the Great Freeze. Honestly, I'm hoping this latest snap put an even bigger hurting on them. That would be glorious.

[Linked Image]
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: kry226] #8988389 01/15/24 09:28 PM
Boar Meister
OP Online Content
Boar Meister
I wish their #s were like they were back in 2019 and previous years because my main passion is hunting hogs !!! At least here they never hurt the deer population and plowing/smoothing their rooting isn't that big of a deal.

As kry226 mentioned, we're probably still dealing with the huge population drop due to the "big freeze". The helicopter shooting isn't helping the population recover either!!!

Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8988408 01/15/24 09:50 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
They recently returned to my place after a 2 year absence.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8988650 01/16/24 04:12 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
As kry226 mentioned, we're probably still dealing with the huge population drop due to the "big freeze".

Freezing they are pretty well adapted for. There may have been some losses, but nothing compared to the last two years of droughts.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8988652 01/16/24 04:22 AM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
We’ve had a slight uptick since an all time low this past fall/winter. 2018 was a high and it’s been on the decline since, with the last two years being the most notable.

Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8988671 01/16/24 05:04 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I have never heard of someone wanting “more” hogs, what’s the world coming to.

Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: grout-scout] #8988704 01/16/24 01:13 PM
Boar Meister
OP Online Content
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by grout-scout

When your in the firearms and bullet business there is no better testing than actually killing game and hogs are perfect for that.

Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8988733 01/16/24 02:04 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hogs are also great for getting me excited about hunting when it’s cold, like today.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8989167 01/17/24 12:47 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

When your in the firearms and bullet business there is no better testing than actually killing game and hogs are perfect for that.

Dont worry Bill you dont need an excuse to hide your love of hunting hogs. We all know you are a true hog hunter. Just say "you are a hog hunter and you love it and you want more hogs".
A good stalk on a sounder of hogs is as exciting as it gets when it comes to exercising your shooting and hunting skills.

You cant find a better hunt than a good day of hog hunting.

So it goes without saying "I always want "more" hogs!!"

Last edited by Bigfoot; 01/17/24 12:52 AM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8989257 01/17/24 02:49 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I have to admit to being in the "more hogs" camp myself. I'd rather hunt hogs than anything else commonly available in this part of the country, and my nephew's place down by San Saba has been incredibly productive so I have to admit that I'm glad they're here.

And now, peep

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8989274 01/17/24 03:32 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

lol, I get it. Ranchers around here would want to shoot you for saying that. roflmao cheers

I got so bored with whitetail, all I was looking forward to was busting some pigs.

Last edited by grout-scout; 01/17/24 03:32 AM.
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8989277 01/17/24 03:36 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
No land owner in his or her right mind wants a single wild pig on their property.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Creekrunner] #8989325 01/17/24 10:25 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
No land owner in his or her right mind wants a single wild pig on their property.

They are a scourge on the landscape. Fun to kill, yes, but I wish they were back where they came from, and it ain't the U.S.

[Linked Image]
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: kry226] #8989530 01/17/24 05:33 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by kry226
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

They are a scourge on the landscape. Fun to kill, yes, but I wish they were back where they came from, and it ain't the U.S.

Agreed.

An absolute scourge. Seems to be somewhat of a divide between Land Owners thoughts on them and those who simply have Hunting Leases.

If there weren't a single Feral Hog in the U.S. it would be alright with me.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8989866 01/18/24 10:55 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
True Story from when I was on the Red River County lease, on the Sulphur River. I had shot A LOT of hogs in a short period of time, like 35-40 from the same two stands that were in the same area and while spot and stalking. I hadn't seen one in a couple of weeks, like they just all went some where else........

I commented to one of my hunting partners that I wasn't seeing any hogs, and couldn't figure out why. This guy had the heaviest East Texas accent you had ever heard, kinda like the old guy that always wore overalls and no shirt from The Water Boy. He asked me, "What would you do if eva time you went out der one of yo frinds got his blooowed off?..............I'd stop going there........to which he says, "Well alright then".

I do recall the freeze, our rancher stacked up cattle like cord wood just next door to you. With all the breeding cycles since then I would think the #'s would be back with normal to light hunting pressure.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8989875 01/18/24 12:13 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
My local hogs turn very nocturnal once hunting season starts. I get in the woods a half hour before light and they are already bedded down. When there is no pressure you have a lot of morning activity, maybe a couple hours after daylight but not now.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8989898 01/18/24 01:13 PM
Boar Meister
OP Online Content
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
True Story from when I was on the Red River County lease, on the Sulphur River. I had shot A LOT of hogs in a short period of time, like 35-40 from the same two stands that were in the same area and while spot and stalking. I hadn't seen one in a couple of weeks, like they just all went some where else........

I commented to one of my hunting partners that I wasn't seeing any hogs, and couldn't figure out why. This guy had the heaviest East Texas accent you had ever heard, kinda like the old guy that always wore overalls and no shirt from The Water Boy. He asked me, "What would you do if eva time you went out der one of yo frinds got his blooowed off?..............I'd stop going there........to which he says, "Well alright then".

I do recall the freeze, our rancher stacked up cattle like cord wood just next door to you. With all the breeding cycles since then I would think the #'s would be back with normal to light hunting pressure.

I'd buy the too much pressure theory if it wasn't for the fact we are actually putting less pressure on them than back in 2018/2019 and I've talked to numerous land owners in Bowie, Lamar and Red River counties that don't really hunt much but they say the hog population is way down?

I'm still seeing quite a bit of fresh rooting so they are some still here. It will be interesting to see what the population is IF the banner acorn crop is ever gone?

Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8989982 01/18/24 04:06 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I'd buy the too much pressure theory if it wasn't for the fact we are actually putting less pressure on them than back in 2018/2019 and I've talked to numerous land owners in Bowie, Lamar and Red River counties that don't really hunt much but they say the hog population is way down?

You may be putting less pressure on them, but in 2018 and 2019, there were a LOT less people with thermal and night vision gear that were out and hunting 5 and 6 years ago. Overall, the pressure on hogs has increased. There are less places for them to go where there isn't somebody with thermal or night vision.

Used to be that if you told folks that you hunted with thermal, they were hugely impressed. Nowadays, you tell a landowner that you use thermal and you get something back like, "My nephew has an ATN..."

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8989983 01/18/24 04:07 PM
C
Coastalquacker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
i'm not on a big piece of property and the landowner told me in April of 2021 he had never seen a hog on his place. I had one on camera in July after I started a corn feeder. They come and go without much of a pattern. I've killed one at a pig pipe I set up last spring. They were coming every morning to a tank we had in September but the morning I was there they no-showed. After that I had one set of pictures in late September until this...
[Linked Image]

Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Coastalquacker] #8990077 01/18/24 07:05 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Coastalquacker
i'm not on a big piece of property and the landowner told me in April of 2021 he had never seen a hog on his place. I had one on camera in July after I started a corn feeder. They come and go without much of a pattern. I've killed one at a pig pipe I set up last spring. They were coming every morning to a tank we had in September but the morning I was there they no-showed. After that I had one set of pictures in late September until this...
[Linked Image]

Little Bacon Seeds!

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8990094 01/18/24 07:34 PM
Boar Meister
OP Online Content
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

You may be putting less pressure on them, but in 2018 and 2019, there were a LOT less people with thermal and night vision gear that were out and hunting 5 and 6 years ago. Overall, the pressure on hogs has increased. There are less places for them to go where there isn't somebody with thermal or night vision.

Used to be that if you told folks that you hunted with thermal, they were hugely impressed. Nowadays, you tell a landowner that you use thermal and you get something back like, "My nephew has an ATN..."

DNS, Yes I'm sure thermal is making an impact, but like I posted on the forum elsewhere I think overall the #s being down is due to other factors too.

Super cold winter a few years back
Extremely dry summers
Helicopter shooting
Thermal night hunting
The hogs are adapting and getting smarter

But what I don't understand is unless it's the acorns why we went from seeing quite a few hogs back in the summer to seeing very few now???

Re: Where have the hogs gone? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8990189 01/19/24 12:23 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

DNS, Yes I'm sure thermal is making an impact, but like I posted on the forum elsewhere I think overall the #s being down is due to other factors too.

Super cold winter a few years back
Extremely dry summers
Helicopter shooting
Thermal night hunting
The hogs are adapting and getting smarter

But what I don't understand is unless it's the acorns why we went from seeing quite a few hogs back in the summer to seeing very few now???

I agree, sir. Something is going on...it's not just a coincidence.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide