Page 1 of 2 1 2
State Hunt drawings #89876 09/14/06 03:34 PM
S
stinkbelly Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I just checked and the state hunts for gun deer either sex and gun deer antlerless/spike have been drawn for my areas. I did not get drawn.

To check call 1-800-792-1112 punch in 5 then 7 then 1 then your ssn then 3.

Good luck.

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: stinkbelly] #89877 09/14/06 03:40 PM
C
chestnut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
When can you start registering for next season (approximately)?

Anybody been on one of these? What are they like? How do you hunt -- do they drive you from/to a stand?

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: stinkbelly] #89878 09/14/06 09:18 PM
O
Okiebug Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I called at lunch today and 4 of the 6 hunts I put in for have been drawn and I didn't get drawn either. One will not draw until Oct but the other I would think should have been drawn by now but it didn't say either way. But it did say that I was on record as applying.

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: Okiebug] #89879 09/15/06 01:56 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I just got off the TP&W phone...and I busted out on GDE, GDA & GDM, no real big surprises as I put in for some tough places to hit on like Kerr, South Llano River SP and Enchanted Rock...didn't put in this year for the PLE, PLA, ...but I'ma hopin that my 9 PP's will get me drawn for Garner in EXO, and my 9 PP's will get me drawn for Walter Buck next spring for GTS so I can wage war on them spotted furriners
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: chestnut] #89880 09/15/06 02:12 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You can't start applying for next years hunts till next July or August, whenever the book comes out.

All of the hunts are different, some you are driven to a pre-selected blind, some you are taken to a compartment that may contain several hundred acres and are shown the boundary lines and turned loose on your own, they vary.

If you have or can get a copy of this years book, there are still hunts you can put in for, but you need to read the whole book, and then if you have questions holler back on here and someone should be able to help you.

It is really a great program, and it is worth the time and trouble to get involved. JMO

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: chestnut] #89881 09/15/06 02:13 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Chestnut
Go find a TP&W office or go on line to the website...there are still a few Lottery Hunts that have not closed their entry dates as yet. What I and these guys are talking about is the drawings that were held for the September 7th App date that have just been held, and their results posted on the automated call in line shown above. Each hunt area will be different and the hunt method and other info will listed in the Lottery Guide. Have fun.
OBTW the more years you put in for a particular category and don't get drawn the more PP's or Preference Points you accrue...like I have 9 PP's in a couple categories but 0 in the Hunts I was drawn for last year...I have PP's in 11 categories ranging from 9 to 0 with some at 2,3, 4 but then I try and build PP's in years I don't expect to get drawn by putting in for really difficult areas to hit on like South Llano SP or Kerr, then when I see something I really want to go on I have a better chance built up.
Depending on where you live and how handy it is to a particular Hunt area you also can sometimes participate at the last minute by showing up ready to go and see if someone no shows...make sure you call ahead and talk to the Hunt area staff to see if there have been any drawn Permits that fell out for some reason. Last year at Choke Canyon for Javelina we had 18 walk ons out of 40 some Permits that had been drawn and at Keechi Creek for Feral Hog no one but us and one other party showed up and we could have really used a bigger crowd to run the piggies around.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: WileyCoyote] #89882 09/15/06 02:26 AM
H
Huntalot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I guess today was my lucky day (blessings from above). Checked with the system and I will be at the Chap on Gun Deer Either Sex from Dec 18-22.

Any tips from anyone who has been down there?

Huntalot

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: stinkbelly] #89883 09/15/06 03:44 PM
G
Gus Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Thanks for the info Stinkbelly!!! I just called and I am in at South Llano state park for spikes, does and all the exotics we see!! We were drawn 4 years ago and I took an Axis buck and 3 does, my brother shot 2 does and missed a couple. Man I am pumped...

Last edited by Gus; 09/15/06 04:05 PM.

�Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.�

Credited to Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: stinkbelly] #89884 09/15/06 03:56 PM
C
chestnut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Thanks for the info!

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: stinkbelly] #89885 09/15/06 04:31 PM
B
boliverpete Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Missed out on the Abilene hunt this year. Maybe next year.

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: boliverpete] #89886 09/15/06 04:34 PM
J
Jerry Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I missed out on Matador bow hunt this year. First time in several years I've not been drawn so I guess it was just my time to miss.

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: stinkbelly] #89887 09/15/06 05:12 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If you ever put in for the San Angelo State whitetail hunt, it is well worth it. They have incredible success and their are tons of deer. Speaking to the GW, last year he said not many put in for it, because they feel it is too far away. Just letting anyone know for the coming years.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: Gus] #89888 09/16/06 12:03 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Dang Gus!!!! How you doin' so good on SLRSP to get drawn twice in 4 years? Boy Howdy am I jealous...but have a great trip and don't for get the fresh kolaches at 5am in town
Ron

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: WileyCoyote] #89889 09/16/06 12:54 AM
G
Gus Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Don't know nuttin bout no kolaches, tell me more...
Guess we have been living right or something. I will never forget our first trip there, it was a blast. Never will forget one of the park attendents telling us to not stop flinging lead until we were out of ammo. The axis and whitetails are literally eating that pecan bottom up. Young pecan trees can't grow because of the deer browsing them down. Last time we were there they had some trees fenced in chicken wire and they were the only ones surviving. It is a very old pecan bottom and its future is in jeapordy unless something is done about it. I plan to do my part!

�Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.�

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: Gus] #89890 09/16/06 01:51 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Well I posted a reply earlier but the THF server fairy ate my post apparently.

From the park, at the stop light in town facing the grocery store, turn left. Go on up past the christmas tree of deer horns to around the curve where the nice looking mexican food place is on the left. There is an old house, also on the left, with a donut sign out front ...and she makes kolaches, pigs in a blanket, fritters and all kinda stuff every day except Sunday...and was open very early as I remember it. I stayed across the parking lot from the big cafe at a decent motel I still have a business card for if you need it...and would stay there again. My kinda place ...clean & cheap

I used to buy the day before everything she didn't sell out if I could get there before she closed when my bro in Law had a place down south of Telephone by the Blue Hole as we always had a bunch of people and lil' kids to feed .

I also put in for SLRSP GDA Hunt this year but only had 1 PP to work with, as I have been drawn in '99 and again in '04 for a GDA Hunt. I find it takes me about 3-5 PP's or more to get drawn where I want to go.

I have 9 PP's for both EXO and GTS and hope to score some good hunts there this year....we'll see said the blind man Have fun
Ron

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: stinkbelly] #89891 09/17/06 11:33 PM
R
Rene Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I got drawn for the archery Black Gap mule deer or Whitetail hunt. Does anyone have in information on hunting down there for mule deer?

I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: Rene] #89892 09/19/06 03:37 AM
S
sks Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
This is my first time to participate the hunting drawings. I did not expect to get one. Today when I check my mailbox I found this letter from Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

Can anybody talk more about this kind of hunting? Do I need to contact the park headquarters in advance? Will we be led to the compartments by the park staff? Can I set a feeder? Do I need to setup a blind or a tree stand? Lots of questions. Sorry I am too excited about it. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: Huntalot] #89893 09/19/06 06:52 AM
F
fishhuntgolfgeek Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Congrats stinkbelly...I got drawn for GDE at Gus Engeling and the Bowhunt at Richland Chambers......Huntalot..I've been to Chapparal for a Javelina hunt...What I can tell you is be prepared to hunt from elevated blinds as you will not be able to see much terrain from ground level. TPWD does have a high fence around the WMA and it holds some real nice deer. TPWD also does have some elevated blinds built but you might want to bring a tripod stand if you have one. The taller the stand the better. Of course I did see a few nice bucks but couldn't touchem as I was looking for the stinkpigs (javelina). You got drawn on an excellent deer hunt as South Texas holds it own with trophy class bucks. You know your in deer country when the local McDonalds has ten point racks in it's dining room area.

Live Free or Die...
Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: stinkbelly] #89894 09/19/06 06:59 AM
C
chestnut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Getting into the logistics of how to actually *do* one of these hunts, I normally carry a 158 quart cooler in the bed of my PU and quarter my deer before heading home. I can get away with this hunting on private land. Do you guys all have vehicles with interior storage space or do you just drive home with the deer you take in the bed of your truck (something I don't like to do as I feel it harms the flavor)?

Last edited by chestnut; 09/19/06 07:00 AM.
Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: chestnut] #89895 09/19/06 11:31 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Nearly all of the WMA's these hunts are conducted on have some form of rudimentary or better cleaning facility. They usually have running water and some even have a cold storage locker to hang your game in. Once your game has been checked, tagged, and logged into their books, you can skin it, quarter it, and put it in the ice chest for the trip home. Most of the places try to make it where you don't have to carry just field dresed game home. Or at least that is my experience.

Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: sks] #89896 09/19/06 11:38 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Welcome to The Forum, and CONGRATULATIONS on getting drawn.

Your best bet, is to call the number listed for the area you have been drawn for, and let them tell you what is going on. From my experience, don't call Austin and ask them, because a lot of times what actually takes place on the hunt is not as described in the applications booklet. The biologists and hunt managers at the place you were drawn for have a certain amount of flexability in how the hunt is actually run. So call those folks and Good Luck on your hunt.

Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: Crazyhorse] #89897 09/19/06 04:40 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
What CHC said in his last post... +1...talk to the locals 'cause what happens at the hunt location stays at the hunt location and the folks in Austin usually ain't got a clue ...just that they have assigned this guy or that guy to run the hunt at this or that location on these dates for this critter. Have fun!
Ron

Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: WileyCoyote] #89898 09/19/06 05:16 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Dang O Dang man. Didnt get selected for any of my choices. Was drawn twicw last year.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: Crazyhorse] #89899 09/19/06 09:36 PM
S
sks Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Yes, you are right. I called the Austin phone number but I did not get much information. I will call Colorado Bend headquarters for more information. Thanks.

Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: sks] #89900 09/20/06 04:21 PM
G
Gus Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
So my brother calls me last night all bummed out because we are the last group that gets to hunt. We are screwed he says! He keeps the negative attitude up and I have to cut him off. I tell him how else would he have an oppurtunity to do this. Whining persists unbearably. I then ask him if he has any idea of how many folks would love to have our shot at it. He continues with the sniveling and I tell him with an attitude like that karma is gonna bite him good and he probably won't have a successful hunt. He then tells me, well I just won't go cause I am telling you we are screwed. I then tell him it won't be the first time he has backed out on a hunt with me. Twice I had to go gator hunting by myself because of his useless excuses and once on a south Texas hog hunt, all public drawings. I just don't get him anymore, he used to be a hardcore fishermen and hunter. I think I am going to start doing the drawings with my son instead, he is 6 and growing fast. Kind of a bummer knowing he has this lousy attitude on an upcoming adventure, hopefully it will change before it is time to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide