Print Thread
Run of Good Luck - Ended #8983591 01/07/24 09:38 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
After nearly 40 years of driving to/from hunting, I finally broke my streak of not hitting anything. Friday night going between Woodson, TX and Murray, TX on back, dirt county roads, I center striped about a 200lb. black hog with my 2016, 4x4 Ford-150 at approximately 45-50 mph around 6:30pm. It darted from south to north and gave me really very little time to react. I thought I went over the top of it but my hunting partner whom was travelling behind claimed that he saw the pig hit and continue into pasture. Long story short, I got lucky and the only damage to truck was very cosmetic and minor in nature. The black above bumper plastic molding on right center was busted away, so frame is showing there and one if front license plate fasteners attached to it cracked. The under bumper mud flap plastic on that side was also broken at the fasteners. For good measure, I rolled over a 5-10lb. piglet last night that darted in front of me on FM 209 out of Murray east to Graham. No damage to truck but one very crushed, dead sow piglet. Considered baby back ribs but figured they'd be fairly broken up. Seems like these things come in multiples; feeling very fortunate no serious damage occurred; what have the THF hit and worst damage caused???

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983596 01/07/24 09:44 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
After nearly 40 years of driving to/from hunting, I finally broke my streak of not hitting anything. Friday night going between Woodson, TX and Murray, TX on back, dirt county roads, I center striped about a 200lb. black hog with my 2016, 4x4 Ford-150 at approximately 45-50 mph around 6:30pm. It darted from south to north and gave me really very little time to react. I thought I went over the top of it but my hunting partner whom was travelling behind claimed that he saw the pig hit and continue into pasture. Long story short, I got lucky and the only damage to truck was very cosmetic and minor in nature. The black above bumper plastic molding on right center was busted away, so frame is showing there and one if front license plate fasteners attached to it cracked. The under bumper mud flap plastic on that side was also broken at the fasteners. For good measure, I rolled over a 5-10lb. piglet last night that darted in front of me on FM 209 out of Murray east to Graham. No damage to truck but one very crushed, dead sow piglet. Considered baby back ribs but figured they'd be fairly broken up. Seems like these things come in multiples; feeling very fortunate no serious damage occurred; what have the THF hit and worst damage caused???

Not a good way to start the new year. Glad it wasn't worse. Just another reason I avoid driving to/from my lease in the dark.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983599 01/07/24 09:53 PM
C
Catperch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
2 on one trip! Wow!……I hit the dumbest doe in Texas. Was headed to work in my already totaled ford ranger. I was in front of the high school so I was going 25 - 30 mph in the school zone. She looked up from the ditch and ran right towards my truck and hit me head on like she was committing suicide. It was already daylight so she wasn’t blinded. I hated for her to go to waste but was late for a meeting I couldn’t miss.

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983614 01/07/24 10:12 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
22 mile stretch from apt ta work. Travels west ta east.
Two curves roughly 8 miles out, curves south, half mile curves east again.
Roughly mile past 2nd curve. Area that roughly has 20-30 deer hit every year.
Slight rolling hills territory.
i close the store @ night, so traveling in dark. Going ta work (daylight)
see many deer in that area.
2 years ago driving home, ro7ghly 3 miles pastwere all the deer are hit.
It was foggy, a car behind me, so had little glare in mirrors.
Starting down a steep hill, a doe ran out in front. Hit front driver side.
Took out light & replace bumper. Wasn't expecting deer.

This year area with slight rolling hills, slow down ta 50/55, came over
last hill, seen yearling in left side ditch running. Slowed down then deer ran up ditch,
slamed on breaks & it hit driver rear.
Over 50yrs driving then twice in couple years.

edit, also coming home from work, a yote
run under back tires 2yrs ago, & this year clipped
2 raccoons coming back from work.

flag

Last edited by 1860.colt; 01/07/24 10:16 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983622 01/07/24 10:19 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I hit an 8 point at the end of bow season. I went another mile down the road and almost hit another one. Bad luck all around.

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983649 01/07/24 11:36 PM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I have hit a couple of deer with a big rig. First one took the bumper clean off, and actually fractured the hood in multiple places. I threw everything back together with 3 or 4 ratchet straps and made it through the week, even delivered an extra load on my way to the body shop.

Next one, I slowed down considerable, and it did very little damage to the truck. Pretty much a small dent in the plastic bumper that apparently popped out from temperature change lol. A little other light damage but nothing significant at all, never even went to the shop for it.

But I have seen multiple big rig accidents with whitetails, seen multiple big rigs on the yard that hit whitetails, without braking at highway speeds. When that happens the hood is usually completely shattered and the engine compartment is full of corn and grass. Like the deer disintegrated into the engine compartment. Sometimes it looks that bad. And stinks!

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983653 01/07/24 11:42 PM
F
fredeboy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Back in the early 70's I lived in Lubbock and was stationed at Fort Bliss in El Paso. Heading back to base after a weekend at home came around a curve going thru Guadalupe Mountains and sun in my eyes and there were 5 doe standing in road. I had no where to go as it was drop off to my right and steep mountain to my left. I took out all 5. Made a mess of my car with 2 of them spinning one down each side. Had hoof dents all the way down both sides. Luckily no structural damage so cleaned out my shorts and made it to El Paso bolt

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983668 01/08/24 12:11 AM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I also hit my first deer in October of 2023. Well, I didn’t actually hit him…he ran into the side of the truck, right under the passenger side mirror. Was headed to processor after dark with a deer in the back of the truck. Been driving 40 years and have had several close calls, so I was probably due. Still sucks. Dented up the side of the truck from the mirror to the rear bumper. Little over $3K worth of damage.

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983674 01/08/24 12:15 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
This why I put an ARB bumper on my truck.

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983685 01/08/24 12:49 AM
C
claypool Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Ive never actually hit a deer or hog. But I have had 2 deer literally run into the side of my truck. I had slowed down because I saw em on side of road but they came across anyway. no damage really to either or my truck.

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983686 01/08/24 12:50 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
tough country Apache

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: Catperch] #8983688 01/08/24 12:53 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Catperch
2 on one trip! Wow!……I hit the dumbest doe in Texas. Was headed to work in my already totaled ford ranger. I was in front of the high school so I was going 25 - 30 mph in the school zone. She looked up from the ditch and ran right towards my truck and hit me head on like she was committing suicide. It was already daylight so she wasn’t blinded. I hated for her to go to waste but was late for a meeting I couldn’t miss.

I hit her brother, the dumbest buck in Texas 3 times within a 100 yard stretch. I had turned onto the FM road and was barely managing 20 mph so there was no way I was letting off the throttle. Buck jumps the fence that is a few feet off the road and runs head on into the front of my truck. Jumps up and jumps the fence. Few seconds later he jumps the fence again and I tag him on his left side. He runs ahead of me and jumps the fence then jumps back into the road and just stands there until I hit him. This road is deep sugar sand with 3-4 foot tall berms so no where to go and stopping would’ve been disastrous.

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983749 01/08/24 02:39 AM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Hit a very large mule deer in the middle of nowhere nebraska... dang near totaled my '95 S10 (we were headed to bowhunt turkeys). Thankfully we flattened the hood down and limped into town. Dealership checked us out and we scooted back home that same day just to be sure!

Most expensive was a small doe here in Texas headed to hunt Blues in West Texas... somehow she dinged a front bumper sensor that activated the 'awareness' buzzer in the seat of my '15 Silverado... well between the damage to the sensors in the bumper and the motor in the seat I paid the deductible but it would've been like $5k to get it all sorted out!

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: BigPig] #8983764 01/08/24 03:13 AM
C
Catperch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted by BigPig

I hit her brother, the dumbest buck in Texas 3 times within a 100 yard stretch. I had turned onto the FM road and was barely managing 20 mph so there was no way I was letting off the throttle. Buck jumps the fence that is a few feet off the road and runs head on into the front of my truck. Jumps up and jumps the fence. Few seconds later he jumps the fence again and I tag him on his left side. He runs ahead of me and jumps the fence then jumps back into the road and just stands there until I hit him. This road is deep sugar sand with 3-4 foot tall berms so no where to go and stopping would’ve been disastrous.

Okay BigPig. You take the prize for sure! That’s a dumb deer.

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983779 01/08/24 03:44 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I live in Graham and very,very seldom travel at night.

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: claypool] #8983945 01/08/24 03:56 PM
T
Triplesnake Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by claypool
Ive never actually hit a deer or hog. But I have had 2 deer literally run into the side of my truck. I had slowed down because I saw em on side of road but they came across anyway. no damage really to either or my truck.

I've had that happen too. Three does jumped out of a the bar ditch on a gravel road in Llano County. I hit one and killed her, but the other two ran square into the side of my truck. I could could see perfectly deer shaped smear marks in the dust down the side of the truck.

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8983966 01/08/24 04:21 PM
W
Woj Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Mid-1990's driving from Lampasas towards Austin after a morning hunt. Doing 70 mph on my 1500 when up ahead about 100 yds a semi flushes 10-12 buzzards off something in the ditch. Buzzards fly in all directions, one particular bird flies away from the road and in his haste to try and gain altitude turns towards the road, dives down, right into my windshield. Smashed wind shield, most of it is collapsed inward, I'm covered in glass and buzzard parts, and the buzzard stuck in the windshield. Wasn't a pleasant drive the rest of the way...

Last edited by Woj; 01/08/24 04:21 PM.
Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8984028 01/08/24 06:00 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Mostly just a few small animals... coon, rabbit, birds, etc. However, had a small buck do $6k in damage when he ran into the side of my travel trailer during a cross-country trip.

And then my wife was driving my new 2019 F250 when a doe ran into the side of the truck and bounced down alongside almost the entire length of the CCLB truck... needed new passenger door skin and new bedside... another $6k in damage. She was headed to her parents and got pulled over not long after the hit by a trooper for speeding. He came to the passenger window to chat with her and the damaged door wouldn't let her roll the window back up. Had to finish the trip with a mostly down window at highway speeds in 30 degree weather. Man, she was fit to be tied when she got back home. bolt

[Linked Image]
Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8984030 01/08/24 06:05 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Frontier Front Replacement bumper on my F150 has paid for itself twice. And the paint on it didn't even chip.

Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: BigPig] #8984127 01/08/24 09:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BigPig

Sobering!!! Did you ever admit to the rancher you hit three calves.

grin roflmao

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8985567 01/11/24 03:33 AM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A pheasant flew into the grille of my truck one time. It turned out ok in the crockpot, with a couple cans of campbells french onion soup and a cup of minute rice.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8985920 01/11/24 08:11 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I've hit at least a half dozen deer in my life. No major damage from any of them. Last one was last summer in my Jeep Cherokee. Big mud tires just rolled right over her like she wasn't even there. I barely even felt it.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8985953 01/11/24 09:36 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
my brother & SIL hit a doe a month or so back going 70 mph dead center in a 2021 Ford Explorer. it came up over the hood and busted out the windshield. there was hair embedded into the paint up the hood and on the roof. The impact was so great, it deployed all air bags, disabled the engine and automatically called 911 from the bag deployment. They were fine but insurance totaled their Explorer. Something like $25k worth of damage ... from one little central Texas WT doe.

a couple of years ago on my way to my lease near Fairfield, I had a big boar come out of no where that damaged my RanchHand replacement enough that insurance paid for a new one. Splatted him good.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Run of Good Luck - Ended [Re: DQ Kid] #8985956 01/11/24 09:50 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
While in college I hit a doe just north of Woodson. She was DRT so we tossed her in back my pickup and kept going. Starving college kids don't look a gift deer in the mouth. Did a job on my pickup's grill though.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide