Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: J.G.] #8982534 01/05/24 04:25 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by J.G.
I read every post of this thread. I am amazed at the lack of judgemental posts. But glad to see it.

One of my favorite things is life is my customers sending me pictures of animals they've taken. Maybe they came out for training, maybe load development and ammo, maybe both. But we've built at least some sort of relationship, at any rate. Pictures of men holding something they killed. Pictures of their wives and children holding something they killed. Huge smiles on everyone's faces. I am their biggest cheerleaders and giving out congratulations every time.

Not once have I asked if any animal came from a high fence or low fence piece of property. I do not care. And it would be rude to ask.

If someone asked me if my kills are HF/LF, I wouldn't consider it rude at all, but that is my personal feeling on the subject. It is a detail of the hunt not unlike how long have you hunted this deer, was it during rut, how often has he been seen, was your shot opportunity quick, what was the range, details of the habitat, do you feed protein, etc..........I like to hear, and share hunting stories, every detail, only because I love hunting. Knowing what all went into a hunt allows me to put myself into the kill and share the experience.

You put a lot of yourself into doing what you do well and post pic's of really good shooting. You developed and loaded it yourself spending a lot of time and gaining experience for your craft. If I were to post a pic of a great group, and brag about it (as I often do), would you not be interested in if I loaded it myself, or bought it off the shelf? Just as you are eat up with reloading and developing loads, I am with hunting. That's my only interest in knowing if a kill was HF/LF.

I've enjoyed the civility of this thread.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 01/05/24 05:51 PM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Huntmaster] #8982536 01/05/24 04:35 PM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
Most people would post a true B&C record breaker. Human nature.

I never thought about it, because I never thought I'd have the chance. My taxidermist tells me that 170 is the minimum for typical, and that mine is close. It likely won't qualify, I have him at 168-7'8. Either way, I won't enter it in anything. I know, my hunting partners know, my family knows, that's all that matters to me. That said, IF I ever really crush the qualification (200"?) I'd enter it only so that Texas, and my county get recognized. Nobody reading the list would know who I was, but they would definitely recognize the Texas Panhandle.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8982545 01/05/24 04:50 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I read every post of this thread. I am amazed at the lack of judgemental posts. But glad to see it.

One of my favorite things is life is my customers sending me pictures of animals they've taken. Maybe they came out for training, maybe load development and ammo, maybe both. But we've built at least some sort of relationship, at any rate. Pictures of men holding something they killed. Pictures of their wives and children holding something they killed. Huge smiles on everyone's faces. I am their biggest cheerleaders and giving out congratulations every time.

Not once have I asked if any animal came from a high fence or low fence piece of property. I do not care. And it would be rude to ask.

100% agree with this. I don't care where it come from and I'm happy for most everyone...even folks I don't like LOL! A lot of time and effort goes into killing a big animal, regardless if it's a paid hunt, HF, LF etc. I think asking is rude and appears to be a way to cheapen someone else's accomplishments and my parents taught me a lot better than that.

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

actually more and more dont. Kills draw odds, causes Loss of leases, poaching etc.

You know how many leases on this forum have been lost or experienced big price increases because of photos(cleaned and uncleaned) ?

I'm with you on the lease thing. Paid hunts, I'll post pictures even though I probably shouldn't...but I like the guides/outfitters and figure it will help them. Likely all I'm doing is increasing that price too wink

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Judd] #8982554 01/05/24 05:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Judd

100% agree with this. I don't care where it come from and I'm happy for most everyone...even folks I don't like LOL! A lot of time and effort goes into killing a big animal, regardless if it's a paid hunt, HF, LF etc. I think asking is rude and appears to be a way to cheapen someone else's accomplishments and my parents taught me a lot better than that.

actually more and more dont. Kills draw odds, causes Loss of leases, poaching etc.

You know how many leases on this forum have been lost or experienced big price increases because of photos(cleaned and uncleaned) ?

I'm with you on the lease thing. Paid hunts, I'll post pictures even though I probably shouldn't...but I like the guides/outfitters and figure it will help them. Likely all I'm doing is increasing that price too wink

Some outfitters have a social media policy. Publicity may cause bigger issues(their leases, or poaching).

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982661 01/05/24 07:53 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've got a few animals I'd like to harvest.

Not wanting to leave the U.S. to do it, I'm probably going to end up in a high fence, in Texas.

The plan for this year, is one on the list. It will be the first time I've ever hunted inside a high fence. If there are some people that don't look at it as fair chase, they are free to have their own opinion. But I don't have to care about it.

I want no part of a livestock shoot. A friend of mine went to a ranch a few years ago, and he said they had to really hunt. And they got busted three times before a shot was made.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: J.G.] #8982663 01/05/24 07:57 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
If there are some people that don't look at it as fair chase, they are free to have their own opinion. But I don't have to care about it.

I want no part of a livestock shoot.

up

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982711 01/05/24 08:58 PM
W
woodduckhunter Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
W
As with anything else, it’s an individuals perception. I have personally “hunted” in a high fence one time and will not go back, and no funding isn’t the issue. Have even passed on work related paid for hunts/trips that were free. Some ranches I think do a great job of making the hunting experience wild and challenging, as a lot probably are. But others have a photo/price list as a means of advertising. That I feel makes the “hunt” seem a lot less like a hunt and more like a shoot. As with my one and only personal experience, sitting in a stand hunting whitetail while emu, ostrich, zebra, and other animals I had no clue what they were piled into the feeding area did not feel like a hunt to me. Putting an acreage number on what is fair chase and what isn’t is impossible. Terrain and other factors play into how far a deer will range in different areas. There have been collared deer in areas that go many more miles than anyone ever believed. I don’t remember exactly, but I think the MS river deer were in the 20-30 mile range. So, how will we ever really know?

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Jgraider] #8982720 01/05/24 09:17 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Jgraider

I entered my mule deer, but not the antelope. Guess I'm 50% guilty as charged.

Neighbors have HFed 84% of the ranch I have hunted for the past 18 years. Guessing here my worth is down to 16%.

Last edited by Hudbone; 01/05/24 09:18 PM.
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: woodduckhunter] #8982738 01/05/24 09:40 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by woodduckhunter
As with anything else, it’s an individuals perception. I have personally “hunted” in a high fence one time and will not go back, and no funding isn’t the issue. Have even passed on work related paid for hunts/trips that were free. Some ranches I think do a great job of making the hunting experience wild and challenging, as a lot probably are. But others have a photo/price list as a means of advertising. That I feel makes the “hunt” seem a lot less like a hunt and more like a shoot. As with my one and only personal experience, sitting in a stand hunting whitetail while emu, ostrich, zebra, and other animals I had no clue what they were piled into the feeding area did not feel like a hunt to me. Putting an acreage number on what is fair chase and what isn’t is impossible. Terrain and other factors play into how far a deer will range in different areas. There have been collared deer in areas that go many more miles than anyone ever believed. I don’t remember exactly, but I think the MS river deer were in the 20-30 mile range. So, how will we ever really know?

I've told out of staters a section of land around me can be a great big, nice habitat.

A section of land north of Dalhart isn't much. You can see the entire section standing in the bed of your pickup. grin

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: J.G.] #8982753 01/05/24 10:02 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A section of land north of Dalhart isn't much. You can see the entire section standing in the bed of your pickup. grin

I've read that the first time the U.S. Calvary saw the Llano Estacado it scared the crap out of all of 'em. It took Mackenzie to figure out how to stop letting the Comanche lead them out on it to die of thirst.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Creekrunner] #8982764 01/05/24 10:24 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

I've read that the first time the U.S. Calvary saw the Llano Estacado it scared the crap out of all of 'em. It took Mackenzie to figure out how to stop letting the Comanche lead them out on it to die of thirst.

Yessir. Charles Goodnight also kept a whole lot of people from dying out there.

It was also called "an ocean of grass". And people felt just as intimidated just as much as being stuck in the middle of the ocean.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: J.G.] #8982774 01/05/24 10:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Not wanting to leave the U.S. to do it, I'm probably going to end up in a high fence, in Texas.

The plan for this year, is one on the list. It will be the first time I've ever hunted inside a high fence. If there are some people that don't look at it as fair chase, they are free to have their own opinion. But I don't have to care about it.

I want no part of a livestock shoot. A friend of mine went to a ranch a few years ago, and he said they had to really hunt. And they got busted three times before a shot was made.

Funny, I always thought WTX MD where dumb, then tried to stalk one and got busted three times. Next listened to the old man and drove buggy to 250 yards , High shoulder shot and watched his chin hit the ground. In a a buggy they pay little attention. Start walking at them from 400-500 yards, they gone.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Hudbone] #8982778 01/05/24 11:02 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Originally Posted by Jgraider

I entered my mule deer, but not the antelope. Guess I'm 50% guilty as charged.

Neighbors have HFed 84% of the ranch I have hunted for the past 18 years. Guessing here my worth is down to 16%.

Im a QTR HF currently due to large and growing solar farm

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8982795 01/05/24 11:22 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Funny, I always thought WTX MD where dumb, then tried to stalk one and got busted three times. Next listened to the old man and drove buggy to 250 yards , High shoulder shot and watched his chin hit the ground. In a a buggy they pay little attention. Start walking at them from 400-500 yards, they gone.

Marfa, TX Pronghorn. I asked the guide "what happens if we try to close on foot?"

He asked "do you know how a Pronghorn defends himself?"

"Yessir, with their eyes and their speed."

He said "If you leave the truck on foot, they will haul azz. You've got to shoot from the truck."

Check

Shot one farther than I really wanted to, because I know what can go wrong on that shot. It all worked out fine though.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8982807 01/05/24 11:48 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

I killed my WTX MD at 40'...walking. bolt 'Nother at 50 yds....walking.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8982884 01/06/24 03:59 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
scratch simple question.
What's the reason for high fence ?
popcorn
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: 1860.colt] #8982885 01/06/24 04:03 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted by 1860.colt
scratch simple question.
What's the reason for high fence ?
popcorn
flag

Rich folks have rich ways.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Creekrunner] #8983388 01/07/24 12:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

oh TXshter shot one 5x at 50 with a woundmatic, with that said he also couldnt shoot a 30plus in aoudad one time because he couldnt see over the grease wood. Some people have a distinct natural camouflage advantage in certain terrian

Ive taken so many pictures of WTX mulies at under 100 yards, but as soon as you get out of the buggy, bye bye. Weirdest thing ever

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Creekrunner] #8983431 01/07/24 03:09 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

How big were they?

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8983446 01/07/24 03:32 PM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by HunterGuy
Do yall think hunting 25k acres high fence is fair chase? Heard that people will say its like shooting fish in a barrel. just wondering what are yalls opinions on large high fence game ranches.

Fair chase for what critter?? I think a number of folks in the middle of this thread have highlighted the home range and dispersal size of deer and that within a 25k HF many deer would never even see the fence and natural pattern of life would be observed. I don't have the numbers but for African game and naturally migratory critters a 25K HF could prove disruptive... but maybe no more so than the unnatural flora/fauna and weather that they are introduced into.

Personal context: I've been on a 1500ac place looking for a Kudu (for viewing pleasure) and it was next to impossible to find him from the ground!

To add some context to the size of a 25,000ac place--- as someone said previously that is 40 square miles... which is massive, would cover half of the Fort Knox tank training area where the army trained Tank DIVISIONS.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: duckhunter175] #8983467 01/07/24 04:11 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
Originally Posted by HunterGuy
Do yall think hunting 25k acres high fence is fair chase? Heard that people will say its like shooting fish in a barrel. just wondering what are yalls opinions on large high fence game ranches.

Fair chase for what critter?? I think a number of folks in the middle of this thread have highlighted the home range and dispersal size of deer and that within a 25k HF many deer would never even see the fence and natural pattern of life would be observed. I don't have the numbers but for African game and naturally migratory critters a 25K HF could prove disruptive... but maybe no more so than the unnatural flora/fauna and weather that they are introduced into.

Personal context: I've been on a 1500ac place looking for a Kudu (for viewing pleasure) and it was next to impossible to find him from the ground!

To add some context to the size of a 25,000ac place--- as someone said previously that is 40 square miles... which is massive, would cover half of the Fort Knox tank training area where the army trained Tank DIVISIONS.

Perspective depends if you are realistic about it. 25,000 acres is only a little less than 6.3 miles by 6.3 miles. Every year we have bucks with summer and winter ranges that are 3-4 miles apart. That is in the piney woods in exceptional habitat. In big open farm land in the Midwest there are documented cases of GPS collared whitetail bucks annually wintering in excess of 60 miles from their summer range. So yes, if you are honest about your assessment, a game proof fence around 25,000 significantly alters natural dispersion and movement. If that were not the case there would be no logical reason to put the high fence up. Game proof fences are costly. Their purpose is to curtail movement into or out of the fenced property that would otherwise naturally occur.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 01/07/24 04:18 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8983479 01/07/24 04:35 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Smokey, not trying to take your numbers out of context for what they are, but the deer lab at MSU just released some impressive numbers of distances a deer ranges and AVERAGE acreage covered by a buck in the rut was 1600 acres. They had it broken down into 2 week intervals of pre rut, early rut, late rut, post rut, found the distance travelled during the rut was aboyt the same for esrly peak and late, but the daily distance was less in early and late. This data was from the region of MS where there is great mix of ag, forest, and open prairie, so typical of texas for the most part.

The data was interesting to say the least, and while they had exceptions, those averages would suggest 25k acres wpupd certainly be within the realm of never seeing a fence line for a lot of the deer in that enclosure.

Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8983541 01/07/24 07:31 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Other studies have been done. The home range of a deer throughout it’s lifetime can be far smaller than 1,600 acres. Here is the first thing I found when i googled “size of home range of whitetail deer in lifetime documented”

https://deerassociation.com/new-data-buck-home-range-size-age/

According to this data you could high fence a 1,000 acre spot, manage it well, and most of those deer may never see the fence. So why high fence at all?

The best reason I can think of is to protect the land and the game you invested your hard work and money in, from everything and everybody that is willing to damage it.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 01/07/24 07:32 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: HunterGuy] #8983557 01/07/24 08:12 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
As many of you know, I HF'ed 940 acres of my ranch last May. So far I'm very pleased. I signed up for MLD and was able to take out some undesirable deer. No big ones this year because the oldest bucks I have are 3yr olds, and for the first time in 25 years, they're all still here. I want to grow big bucks with big antlers, that's my goal. I tried it for 25 years without a HF, and it just don't work, at least in my area. Just too much hunting pressure. My regret is, I didn't do it sooner.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Thoughts on high fence ranchs? [Re: Stompy] #8983566 01/07/24 08:34 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Stompy
As many of you know, I HF'ed 940 acres of my ranch last May. So far I'm very pleased. I signed up for MLD and was able to take out some undesirable deer. No big ones this year because the oldest bucks I have are 3yr olds, and for the first time in 25 years, they're all still here. I want to grow big bucks with big antlers, that's my goal. I tried it for 25 years without a HF, and it just don't work, at least in my area. Just too much hunting pressure. My regret is, I didn't do it sooner.

Good for you! I did it on 600 acres some years ago and enjoyed every minute of it.

You can't fix stupid
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide