Forums46
Topics538,124
Posts9,733,236
Members87,069
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8971981 12/13/23 02:00 AM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I've seen two. First one ran across the FM 649 near San Roman in Starr County. The other one came up from the river and crossed the highway 170, at the high hill going from Lajitas to Presidio. Awesome critters.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8972046 12/13/23 05:07 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Saw one while Hunting with Treeing Walkers on the Nolan River. We were a couple miles outside Blum in the 70's. Second one My wife and I saw was crossing a pasture by the McDavid ranch on FM730 between Azle and Weatherford. That one attacked a horse and was shot a few weeks later nearby. The 3rd was on my Deer lease outside Coleman about 15 years ago. That one I shot with a high powered .257 cal air rifle. Spun it around like a helicopter but it took off and I never found it. Not that I tried very hard to find it if you know what I mean. A single shot airgun wasn't what I would call a preferred weapon to stock a wounded lion with.

Oh there was a forth, but it was dead when I got it. We ran a lion with the Treeing walkers from Covington all the way to Maypearl. The hounds were lost for a couple days. Finally, a farmer called and said they had bayed something under an old house he stored hay in. He was able to catch the young dog but the older one was still under the house. When Clyde and I got there I climbed under the house and was able to catch the older hound by her back legs and pull her out. When I did she had this young lion in her mouth dead. She was cut up pretty bad and Mr. Dobson sowed a pretty good cut on her neck up right then. He was afraid screw worms would get in it. He wiped her down with diesel to keep the flies off her till we could get home to clean her up. That would of been in 74' or 75'.

Last edited by HornSlayer; 12/13/23 05:23 AM.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: bluetopper] #8972054 12/13/23 08:43 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by bluetopper
There are mountain lions who come feed at night on the big landfill in Melissa, Collin County. It’s a fact! I’ve seen two.

I saw my first mountian lion last month in Frisco on Brinkman Ranch where they had mowed a field

I was walking around 8 am and it was running across the field, it was pushing 200lbs.

I saw one around 2002 crossing the street at the Lake Texoma Damn where the overflow from the spillway runs, it was at sunrise

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: RedRanger] #8972072 12/13/23 12:27 PM
T
Triton$ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted by RedRanger
There are mountain lions who come feed at night on the big landfill in Melissa, Collin County. It’s a fact! I’ve seen two.

I saw my first mountian lion last month in Frisco on Brinkman Ranch where they had mowed a field

I was walking around 8 am and it was running across the field, it was pushing 200lbs.

I saw one around 2002 crossing the street at the Lake Texoma Damn where the overflow from the spillway runs, it was at sunrise

roflmao

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: Triton$] #8972075 12/13/23 12:35 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Triton$

roflmao

I have 5500 acre Brinkman Ranch across the street from my subdivision, it full of deer, coyotes, bobcats etc. They have sold about 400 acres recently and now are devolping the area, I walk every morning 9 months out of the year been doing it for decades up here.

Two weeks ago someone hit a huge buck at Main/Coit. A few years ago we had coyotes attacking joggers and walkers in the area, I think they had 7 confirmed coyote bites, 3 of them was in my neighborhood.

Frisco is the only city I know that allows dove hunting inside the city limit if you are hunting on more than 10 acres.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: RedRanger] #8972121 12/13/23 02:23 PM
T
Triton$ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T

roflmao

I have 5500 acre Brinkman Ranch across the street from my subdivision, it full of deer, coyotes, bobcats etc. They have sold about 400 acres recently and now are devolping the area, I walk every morning 9 months out of the year been doing it for decades up here.

Two weeks ago someone hit a huge buck at Main/Coit. A few years ago we had coyotes attacking joggers and walkers in the area, I think they had 7 confirmed coyote bites, 3 of them was in my neighborhood.

Frisco is the only city I know that allows dove hunting inside the city limit if you are hunting on more than 10 acres.

I agree that area is full of coyote's, bobcats and deer. I'm well aware of the coyote attacks. None of that has anything to do with Mt lions

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8972228 12/13/23 05:38 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
My daughter and I had 1 cross in front of us in Fisher County about 6-7 miles west of Rotan.

We had just filled a feeder and were driving between a CRP field and a cotton field. He crossed the turn row about 30 yards in front of us and disappeared into the cotton.

Last edited by sprigsss; 12/13/23 06:03 PM.
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8972237 12/13/23 06:02 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
Only time I've seen one in the wild was when I was about 13-14 years old. Was at a friend's ranch outside Athens. We were driving a golf cart around the property and had one cross the road about 50 yards in front of us. There's no mistaking a mountain in the daylight when you can see its tail. The cat stopped in the middle of the road, took a look at us, then causally continued into the woods. Pretty exciting stuff for a young kid.

“Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt

[Linked Image]
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: RedRanger] #8972324 12/13/23 09:00 PM
B
B Razorback Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

Red I gotta ask what part of Brinkman ranch were you walking by when you saw it? I drive by that ranch every morning on Main st and I feel like it's way too open for even deer in most parts.

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8974381 12/17/23 09:29 PM
S
Sim69z28 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
I saw one at base of cap rock just northwest of Fluvanna Texas in 1995

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8974672 12/18/23 02:04 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
200lbs, humm....

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8974785 12/18/23 05:11 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
When OH Ivie was brand new, there was one that hung out on the north side of the lake for several months. Most of us that were fishing the lake right after it opened saw it. I suspect that the new lake cut off it's normal travel route and it took a while to sort things out. It was very calm and didn't seem to pay any attention to people in a boat.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8974833 12/18/23 07:16 PM
C
CBP210 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I saw a nice mountain lion in 2008 near Rockspring, TX at a lease. He was running when the feline saw me.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8974859 12/18/23 08:15 PM
G
gary roberson Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
[Linked Image]
My buddies found one in NM last Saturday at 1:15 PM when calling coyotes with the FREQ. Called here out in the big opening.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8975262 12/19/23 05:35 PM
D
duffas Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Never saw it but it bumped (slurping the remains of the bean can) the bottom of the bed of the coleman pop-up all night long. Red River Nm. Paw print abut 4-5" in dia IIRC. Don't forget to put the trash in the bear proof container! I guess the Star 380 might have worked.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8975761 12/20/23 04:33 PM
S
sectxag06 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
saw one briefly when i was a kid. we were down in Uvalde. i was young. 7-8 range. my dad was bowhunting, and i was there watching. he had these 2 tripods that sat about 9 foot eye level. well, one of them was missing a leg and was about 4 foot eye level. guess who got to sit in the 4 footer. anyway, the sun has just come up. and a lion comes across the road towards us into the brush. my dad and i both look at each other eyes wide. let me tell you that 7 year old me was quite scared to be sitting in a 4 foot tripod the rest of that morning. lol.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8975825 12/20/23 06:57 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Just two
Bandera County 1988
Medina County 2003

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8977262 12/23/23 10:02 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I saw one in a parking lot in Oceanside, CA. I think it was 2002-2003 time frame. I don’t know if that counts as wild.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 12/23/23 10:03 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: RedRanger] #8981563 01/03/24 02:30 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

roflmao

I believe it is state law for property annexed by a city. I was fishing the Lower Fork in OK below the turbines and thought someone on the opposite bank was letting their golden retriever play in the water. There is a shallow rock shoal in the river there. Then I saw it bounding across the rocks scaring off a heron. Big cat not a dog. It went up the bank where the power plant outlet meets the Lower Fork.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8981633 01/03/24 05:10 PM
B
BigHutch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
One sighting, one trail camera verification, and one set of tracks all in Louisiana.

The first experience was in the early 90s. I found cougar tracks on a sand bar in sandy intermittent stream in LaSalle Parish in central Louisiana after I was asked to look around by a concerned landowner. I contacted LDWF and was told cougars didn’t exist in Louisiana. LDWF wouldn’t even come out and take a look at the tracks …

The second experience was a sighting in 2004 in Evangeline Parish near Interstate 49. I was sitting on a deer stand on the edge of a large fallow field. After seeing several deer use the north south trail that was due east of me about 200 yards into the field, I saw a doe running wide open like her life depended on it. My first thought was a buck was chasing her since it was during the rut. She stopped out in the middle and looked back south from where she had been so I looked that way too. I expected to see a buck but I saw a large cougar crouching to ambush a deer in a clump of hemp sesbania growing out in the field about 20 yards from the heavily used deer trail. The cougar was 100-110 yards southeast of me and I watched it through my scope for at least 15 minutes before it slipped off into grass. It was brown like a traditional cougar, about the height at the shoulder of my big lab, looked to weigh 120-130 lbs, and had that characteristic long cougar tail. Even though I could have easily shot the cat I didn’t shoot because the Florida panther was listed as an endangered species in Louisiana. I walked in about 1/4 mile to the stand but radioed the lease manager to pick me up after dark. He did and wanted to know why since I hadn’t shot anything. When I told him what I had seen and why I asked to be picked up at supper a couple of the other guys on the lease told me/him they had seen cougar cross the road there the day before but didn’t tell anyone. Once again I contacted LDWF and was told cougars didn’t exist in Louisiana.

The third instance was two confirmed trail camera pictures of a cougar taken a few days apart in DeSoto Parish as part of a research project I was helping with. The project was to document any nontarget animal use of a proposed feral hog attractant. Since hogs were heavily using the area we speculated that the concentration attracted the cougar. Those pictures were part of the evidence that caused the LDWF to finally recognize the verified presence of cougars in Louisiana. Cougars are here and are likely juvenile males looking for females and/or to establish a territory.

Just my 2 cents
Big Hutch

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8981970 01/04/24 07:51 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Me and a buddy saw one crossing HWY 154 Between Lake Fork and Quitman about 4 in the afternoon during deer season a few years back. Other vehicles saw it too because they had to brake and let it cross.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: Curly] #8982145 01/04/24 07:15 PM
T
Triton$ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted by Curly
Me and a buddy saw one crossing HWY 154 Between Lake Fork and Quitman about 4 in the afternoon during deer season a few years back. Other vehicles saw it too because they had to brake and let it cross.

That would be an extremely rare sighting for that area

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8982205 01/04/24 09:23 PM
U
Undercoverdog Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
U
Coke county Game warden told me that county was full of them. I saw one crossing the road between Water Valley and Robert Lee a few months ago.

I ain't got a dime but what I got is mine, I ain't rich, but Lord I'm free..."

Son,If I say sic em you better find something to bite.
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8982443 01/05/24 02:02 PM
B
Bigperk66 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I have....being from Montana, they are prevelent. My brother and I (circa 1981) were hiking up a canyon in the Pryor Mountains to do some fishing, and he made his presence known with a loud scream. He was sitting on a ledge in the sun about 100 or so feet away in the canyon we were hiking up. If you've ever heard a Mountain Lion scream, it'll make the hair stand up on your neck!

“We have sunk down a slope of entitlement and selfishness that has eroded the honor of being a U.S. service member.” CMSgt Ramon Colon-Lopez, SEAC
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8983477 01/07/24 04:28 PM
bassnman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I saw one. It was on a friend's deer lease (somewhere southeast of Abilene as I recall) around 2000. I went to my blind before light via an old farm road that went through a wooded area before coming out into a high grass field where my blind was. I was in the blind. It was probably 8 am. First a coyote came out of the woods on the same road I had come down to get to my blind. I saw him clearly until he went off of the road into the high grass. Then the lion came out of the same road and then went thru the same high grass and then out of sight. I remember seeing it clearly in the road and then only its tail and occasionally the top of its head in the tall grass. I also remember being thankful I had worn my headlight when I went thru those woods. It made no sound nor had I heard any sound when I had walked thru the woods but wondered whether it had been there watching me and my light bobbing the the dark. That was when I decided to carry a sidearm with me when going out before light.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide