L
LeftHandStan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by LeftHandStan
Flat earthers it seems. Galileo was about 400+ years prior.

Y'all keep at it lads. Happy hunting.

Go find a coyote in Val Verde County. The sheep ranchers down there are relentless in their efforts to eradicate them. It works. That country, with all the game and sheep, should be full of coyotes. It’s not. I hunted down there for several years and never saw one, a track, or even heard one.

Yeah, I’ll take actual observation and experience over an internet education all day.

Yeah, I will go on believing something that has been researched thoroughly and disproven since the 1970s - well before Al Gore's internet. Across multiple states all over the country (TX very much included). 'Cause of feelz.

Gotcha.

Flat earth.

Re: Coyotes [Re: MWTX270] #8980247 12/31/23 03:40 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Would you two stop answering your own freaking questions?! Cheese and crackers, that’s annoying.

Re: Coyotes [Re: LeftHandStan] #8980250 12/31/23 03:44 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Go find a coyote in Val Verde County. The sheep ranchers down there are relentless in their efforts to eradicate them. It works. That country, with all the game and sheep, should be full of coyotes. It’s not. I hunted down there for several years and never saw one, a track, or even heard one.

Those efforts of varmint control are on another planet compared to the typical TX coyote hunter/caller/spotlighter/incidental shooter. Not even close. Their lives literally depend(ed) on it.

Besides, are "efforts to eradicate them" - coyotes - of ANY benefit to white-tailed deer in areas that are overpopulated? With 4k of neighboring Hill Country acreage *unhunted* (my situation), would the magic killing of every or any coyote do me or the WT deer population any good? F no.

What would limit their population? Remember, this acreage is unhunted.

My apologies. I was mistaken. I thought you were saying that killing coyotes didn’t reduce coyote numbers. Now I understand that what you were saying is that killing coyotes reduces coyote numbers. Forgive me. Carry on.

Re: Coyotes [Re: MWTX270] #8980255 12/31/23 04:19 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
The 4 thousand acres of un-hunted property reference did make me laugh though. Like that’s something special in Texas roflmao

Re: Coyotes [Re: MWTX270] #8980281 12/31/23 12:44 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
In nature, apex predators often see lesser predators as competitors and take them out when those opportunities present themselves. If not effective, I wonder how these instincts were developed? Do apex predators do things for no reason which aren’t to their betterment? If not to their betterment, are they just wasting their time and energy?

Why should humans be different?

Re: Coyotes [Re: MWTX270] #8980397 12/31/23 06:57 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Hudbone
In nature, apex predators often see lesser predators as competitors and take them out when those opportunities present themselves. If not effective, I wonder how these instincts were developed? Do apex predators do things for no reason which aren’t to their betterment? If not to their betterment, are they just wasting their time and energy?

That is exactly the way I see it.

Coyotes are eating deer and cattle that we could be eating.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Coyotes [Re: ntxtrapper] #8980557 01/01/24 02:36 AM
L
LeftHandStan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
The 4 thousand acres of un-hunted property reference did make me laugh though. Like that’s something special in Texas roflmao

It's not special. Where did I say that? Where are you getting this?? Your reading comprehension is lacking.

Rather, it's unusual in the Hill Country. And comes with a burden from a neighboring landowner who wants to keep deer #s in check.

And, I didn't say unleased. Just unhunted... haha. Haven't heard a shot from the neighbor's direction in 4 years and I'm a permanent resident. Apparently it's more fun to drink and play dominoes than hunt in this area... for them.

Re: Coyotes [Re: Hudbone] #8980558 01/01/24 02:39 AM
L
LeftHandStan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by Hudbone

" If not to their betterment, are they just wasting their time and energy?"

For humans and coyotes, 98% of the effort is wasted. And likely is in the opposite direction. The exceptions are VERY rare.

Re: Coyotes [Re: Sneaky] #8980564 01/01/24 02:45 AM
L
LeftHandStan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L

Those efforts of varmint control are on another planet compared to the typical TX coyote hunter/caller/spotlighter/incidental shooter. Not even close. Their lives literally depend(ed) on it.

Besides, are "efforts to eradicate them" - coyotes - of ANY benefit to white-tailed deer in areas that are overpopulated? With 4k of neighboring Hill Country acreage *unhunted* (my situation), would the magic killing of every or any coyote do me or the WT deer population any good? F no.

What would limit their population? Remember, this acreage is unhunted.

My apologies. I was mistaken. I thought you were saying that killing coyotes didn’t reduce coyote numbers. Now I understand that what you were saying is that killing coyotes reduces coyote numbers. Forgive me. Carry on.

Yes, with gov't trappers, cyanide, snares, bounties, dogs, and EVERY dang goat/sheep/cattle rancher calling/shooting/killing every coyote they can... indefinitely... numbers can be reduced.

What percentage of TX acreage does that apply to in 2023? 2%? Maybe 5%. You tell me.

Again, the casual shooting of coyotes (as fun as it is), doesn't do jack SH&T to either deer numbers or coyote numbers. This applies for the large, large majority of private lands in TX.

Last edited by LeftHandStan; 01/01/24 02:46 AM. Reason: last sentence grammar
Re: Coyotes [Re: MWTX270] #8980569 01/01/24 02:54 AM
L
LeftHandStan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Everyone, including myself (I have, btw), should re-read Double AC's post on page 2. I'll thrice read it.

Re: Coyotes [Re: MWTX270] #8980575 01/01/24 03:14 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
We might as well reintroduce wolves.

Re: Coyotes [Re: ntxtrapper] #8980577 01/01/24 03:15 AM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D

Yeah, I’ll take actual observation and experience over an internet education all day.

I used to work out of the Falcon Dam Customs office in Starr County. I would take mouth calls with me when I went out to look for sign of smuggling across the lake. Probably around 90% of the times I called I'd have a coyote come in. Doesn't mean I got a shot, but they were there and thick. Now I live in Val Verde County on the west side out near Comstock. The ranchers all belong to the Sheep Ranchers Association or whatever it is. You can call until you are blue in the face and not get anything except a very rare bob cat to come in. So the above quote about Val Verde Co. is pretty much gospel.

Re: Coyotes [Re: deerfeeder] #8980583 01/01/24 03:38 AM
L
LeftHandStan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by deerfeeder

I used to work out of the Falcon Dam Customs office in Starr County. I would take mouth calls with me when I went out to look for sign of smuggling across the lake. Probably around 90% of the times I called I'd have a coyote come in. Doesn't mean I got a shot, but they were there and thick. Now I live in Val Verde County on the west side out near Comstock. The ranchers all belong to the Sheep Ranchers Association or whatever it is. You can call until you are blue in the face and not get anything except a very rare bob cat to come in. So the above quote about Val Verde Co. is pretty much gospel.

I've worked for the NRCS in Starr County. You're likely spot on. Coyotes were/are thick down there.

As for the sheep ranchers/Valverde Co. and coyote #s issue. It's been addressed. They hit them with the fire of a million suns. Forever. With basically all landowner involvement. For most of the state, those days are done. Simply not feasible.

Alas.

My initial supposition was that NOT shooting coyotes on acreage heavily infested with WTs is not a bad idea (page 1). Especially with areas with no/low hunting pressure. It's never directly been spoken about.

** WHY IS THIS PARTICULAR QUESTION NEVER ADDRESSED?** /allcapsapology

Re: Coyotes [Re: MWTX270] #8980590 01/01/24 04:31 AM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D
Another side of this issue, if you want to call it that, is the availability of jack rabbits. When you have a bumper crop of jack rabbits it won't be long until the coyote population rises to meet the demand. Thin out the jacks and it won't be long until your coyote population gets reduced. Not guaranteed, but usually a reality.

Re: Coyotes [Re: MWTX270] #8981189 01/02/24 06:21 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Looks as though this coyote has been eating well...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Coyotes [Re: deerfeeder] #8981692 01/03/24 06:55 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by deerfeeder
Another side of this issue, if you want to call it that, is the availability of jack rabbits. When you have a bumper crop of jack rabbits it won't be long until the coyote population rises to meet the demand. Thin out the jacks and it won't be long until your coyote population gets reduced. Not guaranteed, but usually a reality.

Yep, everything here predator wise revolves around the cottontail population.

Re: Coyotes [Re: fishdfly] #8981934 01/04/24 03:29 AM
Linksoul Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
And where would I find the name of the county trapper?

Re: Coyotes [Re: Linksoul] #8982004 01/04/24 01:46 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Linksoul

Probably start with your county, see if they have a Predator association or list the trapper on their county website like so:

https://www.co.liberty.tx.us/page/liberty.County.Trapper

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Coyotes [Re: MWTX270] #8982013 01/04/24 02:07 PM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
My cat got killed by coyotes in August of '09 and I've never forgiven them for it. Prior to that I had never shot a single one. At the time I lived in the middle of Plano south of Spring Creek, north of Parker Rd and bracketed east and west by Independence and Custer. He was killed on a Friday and that weekend I bought an electric call and a bunch of game cameras and set them up in my neighborhood. Killed 7 in the first week. Killed almost 70 more in the following months. After about 3 months they stopped showing up on camera and I did not see a single one before moving a few years later. Don't try blowing smoke up my rear claiming that hunting has no effect on their population.

I'm considering doing the same thing where I live now but I don't think I can pull it off here. I woke up early one morning and went outside and found a coyote sitting in my driveway just staring at me like he thought I was going to bring him a dog bone. My male pit bull is a dumb [censored] and thought it was just another dog to play with and the only thing he'll do to a coyote is screw it which he already did once. My old dog would kill them on sight. I live across the street from SMU.

Trolling? Heck no, I meant every word of it.

Did y'all know that Bee'z The Beedazzler invented driving much faster than the posted speed limit on Hwy 121 in the early 2000s?
Re: Coyotes [Re: Linksoul] #8982069 01/04/24 03:58 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Linksoul

Contact your County extension agent.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide