Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Buzzsaw] #8976243 12/21/23 04:54 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I'll buy one for y'all. You want 7mm08 or Creedmoor? .556 Ranch rifle for me

Well, thanks, Buzz1 Get me one in 7mm08, please. Let me know when it comes in and I'll hustle up to Frisco to pick it up!!

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Buzzsaw] #8976247 12/21/23 05:05 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
I'll buy one for y'all. You want 7mm08 or Creedmoor? .556 Ranch rifle for me

Ranch in 7.62 x 39, please!

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Jgraider] #8976255 12/21/23 05:18 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
Wonder if these gen II actions will fit in a gen I stock/chassis.
Great question.

I'd say in order to be a Tikka killer, these Americans need to not have this "zipping" sound as you stroke the bolt.

I think a silky smooth action is a nice thing but almost cosmetic to me. I have a Howa mini that has that zipper sound and I don't care. I (usually the kids) pull the bolt and empty brass shoots out. Push the bolt and a round goes in. Function and accuracy trump all else, for me. Average Joe is less concerned about the sound and more concerned about the price, it seems Ruger has accommodated Joe. Doubt I'll buy one but I'm rooting for Ruger. I like things made in my home country.

If that were true the Ruger American would have kicked Tikka's asss the first time, and it failed miserably. Bergara tried too.....same fate, as did Savage. Tikka's are more popular than ever for good reason.

Savage outsells Tikka by a long shot, so to say they've failed is inaccurate. I also like Bergara rifles a lot better than Tikkas, you get much more for your money.

I bought a Tikka Lite 5 years ago when it was $499. Now that same rifle, with no new features, goes for $899. Tikka is turning into the Glock of the bolt action rifle world. They started as a way to make high-quality affordable rifles. They're resting on their laurels, haven't innovated, and are overpriced. The competition is listening to customers and getting more intense, and that benefits all of us.

I'd take a Bergara over a Tikka any day. With a Bergara, I don't have to chop the barrel, thread it, and buy a new stock... Plus, you get a true short action, unlike Tikka which only produces long actions.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8976290 12/21/23 06:38 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Gone to Texas
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
Wonder if these gen II actions will fit in a gen I stock/chassis.
Great question.

I'd say in order to be a Tikka killer, these Americans need to not have this "zipping" sound as you stroke the bolt.

I think a silky smooth action is a nice thing but almost cosmetic to me. I have a Howa mini that has that zipper sound and I don't care. I (usually the kids) pull the bolt and empty brass shoots out. Push the bolt and a round goes in. Function and accuracy trump all else, for me. Average Joe is less concerned about the sound and more concerned about the price, it seems Ruger has accommodated Joe. Doubt I'll buy one but I'm rooting for Ruger. I like things made in my home country.

If that were true the Ruger American would have kicked Tikka's asss the first time, and it failed miserably. Bergara tried too.....same fate, as did Savage. Tikka's are more popular than ever for good reason.

Savage outsells Tikka by a long shot, so to say they've failed is inaccurate. I also like Bergara rifles a lot better than Tikkas, you get much more for your money.

I bought a Tikka Lite 5 years ago when it was $499. Now that same rifle, with no new features, goes for $899. Tikka is turning into the Glock of the bolt action rifle world. They started as a way to make high-quality affordable rifles. They're resting on their laurels, haven't innovated, and are overpriced. The competition is listening to customers and getting more intense, and that benefits all of us.

I'd take a Bergara over a Tikka any day. With a Bergara, I don't have to chop the barrel, thread it, and buy a new stock... Plus, you get a true short action, unlike Tikka which only produces long actions.

Yeah, and KIA outsells Mercedes. IMO, a Tikka CTR is hard to beat. 20" barrel, threaded, fantastic trigger oversized bolt, 10 round steel magazine, rail..........As far as not innovating, the competition is chasing them, their rifles shoot fantastic, so the innovations they put in place years ago are still working. I don't think it's an accident that their rifles have a reputation of slower velocities and shoot as well as they do.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 12/21/23 06:47 PM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8976310 12/21/23 08:18 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Savage outsells Tikka strictly based on bottom line alone. There is no other reason. Savages cycle like crap and shoot well. Tikkas cycle well and shoot well.

And those Savages might see 20 rounds per year.

People a little more serious about shooting, and hunting all year long may want a little bit better rifle.

Whats the price of a Savage today? Is a Tikka about $200 to $300 more? That extra $200 to $300 gets one a much nicer rifle.

For target rifles, there have been two major winners as mass production rifles. Tikka CTR and Ruger Precision Rifle. Someone could (and do) buy either one of those and shoot competitively with them.

For very, very inexpensive hunting rifles, the Ruger American is a very good buy.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8976340 12/21/23 09:08 PM
U
USMC89 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
U
Looks like there will be a 22 creed build on the list

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8976482 12/22/23 01:40 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I didn’t have JG and S&W humping the same leg on my 2023 bingo card. I almost feel silly I didn’t see it coming though. rofl

Ruger continues to up their rifle game. This is a good change the aics mags have proven to be very reliable detachable mag system.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Judd] #8976531 12/22/23 03:12 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Judd
I didn’t have JG and S&W humping the same leg on my 2023 bingo card. I almost feel silly I didn’t see it coming though. rofl

rofl

[Linked Image]
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Bee'z] #8976535 12/22/23 03:35 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Bee'z

rofl

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Bobby Barnett

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Judd] #8976565 12/22/23 06:08 AM
Ol Thumper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Ruger continues to up their rifle game. This is a good change the aics mags have proven to be very reliable detachable mag system.

Son you have serious issues roflmao

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8976595 12/22/23 12:00 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I realize looks aren't high on everyone's list but if it's ugly, I ain't buying it. That thing is ugly. Even just a regular barrel would help a lot. Make mine 7mm-08 or 7.62X39.

Pass the gravy.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: GasGuzzler] #8976722 12/22/23 05:49 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
I realize looks aren't high on everyone's list but if it's ugly, I ain't buying it. That thing is ugly.

Same thing has been said about Tikkas for over a decade.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: scottfromdallas] #8976745 12/22/23 07:03 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
I realize looks aren't high on everyone's list but if it's ugly, I ain't buying it. That thing is ugly.

ugly no, plastic’y yes

but wake us up when used or new ruger actions market becomes a thing.

I think the Tikka CTR is a sound platform and I thinks smart of Ruger to copy and compete against it. Just dont know if they will every have a base action with the same amount of respect as Tikka

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: bobcat1] #8976747 12/22/23 07:08 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bobcat1
Originally Posted by Bee'z

rofl

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Don't encourage him.

I like stuff that works.

Unlike him, leg humping Vortex.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8976750 12/22/23 07:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

ugly no, plastic’y yes

I think the Tikka CTR is a sound platform and I thinks smart of Ruger to copy and compete against it. Just dont know if they will every have a base action with the same amount of respect as Tikka

Right now, no.

But I will say this. Ruger has been the opposite of resting on their laurels. They have been innovating the last several years. Their action just needs a bit more finishing, and it has the potential to, at least, equate Tikka.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: J.G.] #8976774 12/22/23 07:59 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by J.G.

ugly no, plastic’y yes

Right now, no.

But I will say this. Ruger has been the opposite of resting on their laurels. They have been innovating the last several years. Their action just needs a bit more finishing, and it has the potential to, at least, equate Tikka.

Time will tell, but I highly doubt it. Then there's that Tikka vs Ruger trigger..........

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8976792 12/22/23 08:31 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
For what it is, the Ruger is a great rifle. It’s not on par with Bergara or Tikka, but still a really solid rifle. I’ve owned 3 and all of them shot great with factory ammo.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8976812 12/22/23 09:10 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have a Ruger American Hunter in .308 that I really like. Accurate and dependable so far.
Is it Tikka level good? Not in my experience, as I have owned 3 Tikka T3's (.308 Win., .30-06 & 7mm-08) I still have the 7mm-08 and don't forsee parting with it.

Competition in the market is a good thing. We'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8976862 12/22/23 10:50 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

ugly no, plastic’y yes

I’m not saying they are comparable at all. I’m just saying I’ve heard many people bash Tikka purely on looks and say they will never buy one. I’ve heard the same thing about Glocks.. I have 2 Tikka CTRs. Never owned an American but I like Ruger Hawkeyes and Glocks.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: scottfromdallas] #8976873 12/22/23 11:09 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

ugly no, plastic’y yes

I’m not saying they are comparable at all. I’m just saying I’ve heard many people bash Tikka purely on looks and say they will never buy one. I’ve heard the same thing about Glocks.. I have 2 Tikka CTRs. Never owned an American but I like Ruger Hawkeyes and Glocks.

I personally hate plastic in Tikka, but detest the American’s action more

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8976957 12/23/23 02:01 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I own 3 or 4 Ruger firearms. They make good stuff

But there is no way this will be a Tikka killer.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8976976 12/23/23 02:50 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Welp we will see how smooth the action is. Right off the bat, the the action is the initial distinguished difference between a Tikka and an American. The way the American is machined, you are sawing that bolt in and out of there it almost reminds me of a zipper compared to a Tikka. That Tikka action is as fine as frog’s hair and cheaper than hell for what you get.

It’s gonna take a lot more than a fluted barrel and a textured stock to make it a Tikka killer.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: 10 Gauge] #8976998 12/23/23 03:42 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
Welp we will see how smooth the action is. Right off the bat, the the action is the initial distinguished difference between a Tikka and an American. The way the American is machined, you are sawing that bolt in and out of there it almost reminds me of a zipper compared to a Tikka. That Tikka action is as fine as frog’s hair and cheaper than hell for what you get.

It’s gonna take a lot more than a fluted barrel and a textured stock to make it a Tikka killer.

Bobby Barnett

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8977014 12/23/23 05:18 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
*OR* you could just buy a Tikka.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: 10 Gauge] #8977033 12/23/23 09:46 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann

Those are the two main things I don't like about the Ruger. I'd pay the extra $200 to have a wood stock and a normal barrel like on the blued Tikka T3x Hunter ... if I bought new guns and needed a bolt action rifle. I like Rugers, have a few, but even a Mini-14 would have to be wood and blued for me.

Pass the gravy.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide