L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by LarryCopper
I was gonna say basing what motor to get off the fact one couldn't get under a specific bridge is kinda silly.

I'm not basing my decision on one single factor, I'm looking at the accumulation of all the factors. But I would say the higher profile is less about getting hunter bridges, and more about hiding it, and higher profile motor "sticks out more" vs a lower profile motor. Those are juct facts, and one factor to consider.

Again, a hidden motor being up a little higher means nothing to ducks. I'm saying that isn't much of a factor.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: LarryCopper] #8971253 12/11/23 05:49 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy
I was gonna say basing what motor to get off the fact one couldn't get under a specific bridge is kinda silly.

I'm not basing my decision on one single factor, I'm looking at the accumulation of all the factors. But I would say the higher profile is less about getting hunter bridges, and more about hiding it, and higher profile motor "sticks out more" vs a lower profile motor. Those are juct facts, and one factor to consider.

Again, a hidden motor being up a little higher means nothing to ducks. I'm saying that isn't much of a factor.

I disagree it means nothing to the ducks. It is ok to minimize it, but to say "nothing" is silly. There is nothing positive about a higher profile, you can say nothing about that. Higher profile also grabs more crap going through brush.. I have had a limb grab my dip stick (lost it in the process) and also snag my fuel pump and bust it, I was able to duck tap it to get me back to the ramp. "I'm saying that isn't much of a factor", I can agree with that, I'm not sure how much higher it is really, I could just eyeball it and see it is higher. Obviously, the higher the more of a factor it is.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8971263 12/11/23 06:14 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy

I disagree it means nothing to the ducks. It is ok to minimize it, but to say "nothing" is silly. There is nothing positive about a higher profile, you can say nothing about that. Higher profile also grabs more crap going through brush.. I have had a limb grab my dip stick (lost it in the process) and also snag my fuel pump and bust it, I was able to duck tap it to get me back to the ramp. "I'm saying that isn't much of a factor", I can agree with that, I'm not sure how much higher it is really, I could just eyeball it and see it is higher. Obviously, the higher the more of a factor it is.

Agree to disagree

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8971353 12/11/23 09:09 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Not a bad deal if you're going with just a motor.

[Linked Image]

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8971370 12/11/23 09:52 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I'm waiting on that 50hp PD they keep teasing.

. [Linked Image]

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Misfire] #8971379 12/11/23 10:11 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Misfire
I'm waiting on that 50hp PD they keep teasing.

. [Linked Image]

I watched a video they put out on it. I like quiet and more robust (at least in theory). I'm a bit concerned about the water cooling panel thing that runs under the boat. These boats get beat up pretty good, not sure how that's gonna work in the long run. Time will tell I suppose.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8971448 12/11/23 11:47 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I would be willing to bet a stock 40hp Gatortail still outperforms that 50hp Prodrive with or without a hunt load, and doubt your able to build a true custom boat with that motor due to all the coolant lines and radiator that is mounted in that Pro drive boat, more of a novelty than anything else for those that don’t run in the heavy thick stuff or timber.

I would tear that back hydraulic line to the instant reverse completely off my first time out in the buck brush no doubt with my luck.

Last edited by mohunter; 12/11/23 11:51 PM.
Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8971766 12/12/23 04:54 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Keel cooling has been around for a long time. I know this application is different but it shouldn't be too complex. I feel like the OB power head will be miles better than the lawnmower motor. OBs are historically more reliable and lighter. Who doesn't love the idea of lighter, more powerful and reliable mudmotor? I suppose we'll see if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8971954 12/13/23 12:31 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Alittle off topic, but do the weight of these rigs not bother yall? 300lb motor 600lb+ hull. Add fuel, battery and your gear your breaking 1200 lbs pretty easily.

I use to have a 20' gator Trax with a 46hp mud buddy. The boat was a tank and went everywhere I wanted to go. But dang it was a PITA to move around while not under power. Loading, unloading, picking up decoys, all that stuff. I ended up selling it bc it just didn't fit my hunting style.

Now I'm looking at something small, need something alittle bigger than a momarsh. But just want a 14-16' hull with like a 23 or 25hp SD.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8972006 12/13/23 02:42 AM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
Alittle off topic, but do the weight of these rigs not bother yall? 300lb motor 600lb+ hull. Add fuel, battery and your gear your breaking 1200 lbs pretty easily.

I use to have a 20' gator Trax with a 46hp mud buddy. The boat was a tank and went everywhere I wanted to go. But dang it was a PITA to move around while not under power. Loading, unloading, picking up decoys, all that stuff. I ended up selling it bc it just didn't fit my hunting style.

Now I'm looking at something small, need something alittle bigger than a momarsh. But just want a 14-16' hull with like a 23 or 25hp SD.

Ditto. I hunted a WC Custom 1854 with 36 prodrive for a few years. Great boat, go anywhere, but HEAVY. I sold it off and downsized to a 13' fiberglass sneakbox with a 15hp OB. I absolutely love it.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8972071 12/13/23 12:24 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

If timber is t an issue for you a little on John boat with a copperhead motor on the back might be the trick. If you want something more designed for gear carrying a load etc there are several folks out there that make custom boats then put a smaller MM on it.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Misfire] #8972176 12/13/23 03:53 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Misfire

Ditto. I hunted a WC Custom 1854 with 36 prodrive for a few years. Great boat, go anywhere, but HEAVY. I sold it off and downsized to a 13' fiberglass sneakbox with a 15hp OB. I absolutely love it.

It all depends on what your application is. I have a 21ft WC and it has a 3/16" bottom. Believe me....its a tank. But I run big water and crappie fish out of mine....wouldn't have it any other way. Me and my buddy who has the prodigy....Pete just applied a new coat of GG on our boats. The prodigy has dimples on the bottom, mine is still almost perfect. My boat being flat bottom obviously is not a good fishing boat BUT.....the weight helps out a lot when trying to stay on a brush pile in some wind.

Everyone just needs to look at their styles/uses and get the boat of there dreams lol. Other than rounded chimes I wouldn't make my boat any different if I were to start over again. And that included the motor.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8972358 12/13/23 10:23 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L

I hear ya. Looked a long time at a smaller rig like yall are talking about. A year ago I was 75# heavier and I'm on the tall side... and I hunt big water from time to time so I couldn't figure out how to make it work.

I think I researched what to get a lot longer than most folks and weight was always one of my biggest concerns cuz I'm no spring chicken and I hunt alone a lot. As I got to know more and more folks with surface drives, I got to understand how often they break down and get stuck. I realized a heavy hull wasn't for me after all the stories and especially on a hunt way up into some flooded stuff in an Excel. Apparently the flotation in those hulls is known to get saturated and add hundreds of pounds to it. On the way out, we were pushing that sumbich in 5" water with a soft bottom. What's the point? I think my ol SeaArk outboard could have putt around in that.

I ended up getting the lightest 1748 GatorTail makes. It's a true mud hull, which makes running timber a bit puckering cuz I can't turn on a dime, but I've been able to push it off everything so far. If there is any water at all and I know it gets deeper on the other end I can run it even with a hard bottom. I do keep a come along in it so if I ever do miss a turn and get stuck maybe I can wench my way out. This off season I'm gonna have a wench port (or whatever you call it) welded onto the front. I'm gonna have a second battery up front anyway when I get my trolling motor done this Spring.

If I felt comfortable with a smaller rig I go that route in a heartbeat tho. I still may end up going that route at some point. For now I'll drag my yak along in the GTR if I need to get into some really small stuff.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8972924 12/14/23 11:51 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity

There is never a 1 rig fits all, they all have their pros and cons, you got to pick a rig that “most fits” where and how you want to hunt and/or fish and what you like most. Sounds like you got that figured out flyfish. The smaller the rig, the more fun and enjoyable they are to hunt out of. That’s why I like my momarsh so much, it’s about as small as you can get with a mud motor. As you step up in size, that just allows you to hunt more places, under more extreme conditions, and carry more gear and more people, and get there faster.

I started out just wanting to get a new motor for my boat, now I’m thinking about just getting a whole new rig, so I’m completely rethinking what my next boat will be, and thinking about what I want most. My first thought was an another tank, bigger and better, 3/16 inch bottom and 40hp Briggs motor… Now I’m thinking maybe something more fish friendly with more speed which is better for scouting too, so maybe even an outboard, and center console. I use my gatortrax today for crappie fishing, works great, but other boats are better..

[Linked Image]

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8975302 12/19/23 07:13 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I run a 1436 Alumnacraft with a 12 hp longtail. I elected not to hunt big water or try to cross lakes like Whitney. I also have a kayak for those places that don't allow power. The Alumnacraft is thin bottomed but welded. I have to knock out dents now and then but I've jumped logs in that rig with two people and all the decoys. It runs about 10 - 15 mph depending on what's in it. Overall, I"m not super sold on the long tail. They can get dangerous quick. They can also get you in trouble quick but I'm building a clutch for it. I'm also building a surface drive to fit on that motor, with a reverse. That means I'll have a gear drive, which I'm still waffling about. i plan to add another 1/16" sheet to the bottom and sides to reinforce it.

The positives: I can hand launch if the water is low or the launch is dry. I can push off most anything without getting out. I have an avery blind on it and can hunt out of it comfortably. I can run in about 4 in water if i'm not loaded down and I stand in the middle and I can go about 14 miles on a gallon.

Negatives: I don't have squat for carrying capacity. I've had it loaded with three people and it handled ok but I wouldn't go in any waves with it. It would flounder in big water, especially with a long tail. I don't think alumnacraft makes these anymore and it is thin hulled. One of these days I know I'm going to tear a new one in it. But I can weld so if I can get it home I can fix it.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: jnd59] #8975659 12/20/23 01:43 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jnd59
I run a 1436 Alumnacraft with a 12 hp longtail. I elected not to hunt big water or try to cross lakes like Whitney. I also have a kayak for those places that don't allow power. The Alumnacraft is thin bottomed but welded. I have to knock out dents now and then but I've jumped logs in that rig with two people and all the decoys. It runs about 10 - 15 mph depending on what's in it. Overall, I"m not super sold on the long tail. They can get dangerous quick. They can also get you in trouble quick but I'm building a clutch for it. I'm also building a surface drive to fit on that motor, with a reverse. That means I'll have a gear drive, which I'm still waffling about. i plan to add another 1/16" sheet to the bottom and sides to reinforce it.

The positives: I can hand launch if the water is low or the launch is dry. I can push off most anything without getting out. I have an avery blind on it and can hunt out of it comfortably. I can run in about 4 in water if i'm not loaded down and I stand in the middle and I can go about 14 miles on a gallon.

Negatives: I don't have squat for carrying capacity. I've had it loaded with three people and it handled ok but I wouldn't go in any waves with it. It would flounder in big water, especially with a long tail. I don't think alumnacraft makes these anymore and it is thin hulled. One of these days I know I'm going to tear a new one in it. But I can weld so if I can get it home I can fix it.

I hunted Whitney for years. Depending on where you're hunting, that lake can be downright dangerous in 15-20mph winds.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8975777 12/20/23 05:07 PM
C
Chaseh Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by ducknbass

I’d glance at that FNR Go devil too if I was you.

Thanks, I like it. No trim it looks like? One less thing to go wrong is a positive. Shortly after getting my mudbuddy the trim went out, wiring issue. Glad it went out with my prop in the water, or I would have been SOL. Mohunter had same issue with his new gatortail. Not sure how mush work it takes to handle that motor without a trim. I imagine it finds the surface pretty easy on its own with the fins.. and I bet with the angle of the shaft it bounces off the stumps pretty well..

[Linked Image]

DO NOT BUY A MOTOR WITHOUT TRIM. PERIOD. I loved my go-devil, and then when I upgraded to the Gatortail, I loved it even more.

I personally think you should buy an airboat. I upgraded and haven't looked back. Have even hunted out of it on the crappy days. I've never worried much about hiding it, just park it a little further away. Drive over beaver dams, fences, etc. She baddd bad!

But if I had to buy from the listed options, go Gatortail and don't look back. Not even sure Glen is still involved, but he was enough of a JA back in the day that I would never buy anyting from MB.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8976169 12/21/23 02:53 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thanks for the insight Chaseh on the go devil, I’m for sure not looking for more work. I’m really wanting a center console. No way I’m getting an air boat lol, they do have their place, just not for me.

So I guess the only thing better than a gatortail motor is 2 gatortail motors. smile ani

[Linked Image]

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8977038 12/23/23 11:45 AM
P
pervis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Went thru this yrs ago. I sold my rig at the time it had a Mudbuddy on it. That was the first and last Mudbuddy product il ever own. I’ve owned two gatortails since and gatortail it is. Now when you look at a rig forget the 3/16 bottom. It’s overkill. Get a custom boat. Uncle j timber creek prodigy etc. call and talk with them. I’ve had both good and bad experiences with two out of those 3. It will be a wait to actually take delivery so be prepared. The 40 does a good job but you will not want to have it tuned, but almost have to. The custom boats are nice, but they’re heavy. A good tuned motor will make up for every inch of that. Go with tall sides. 24 inch sides make a huge difference here in n texas. If you have any questions shoot me a text anytime. You have my number. I’ve been thru it and had two rigs built now. My second one I’m very happy with. You’re more than welcome to come check it out if you’d like. I’ve got a friend w an uncle j you can see as well.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8979080 12/28/23 03:29 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Guy
Thanks for the insight Chaseh on the go devil, I’m for sure not looking for more work. I’m really wanting a center console. No way I’m getting an air boat lol, they do have their place, just not for me.

So I guess the only thing better than a gatortail motor is 2 gatortail motors. smile ani

[Linked Image]

Dang, what does a rig like that weigh in at? An easy 1500lbs just hull and motors??

That's like seeing a big jacked up dully with mud tires on it. You'll be SOL when that thing gets stuck.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: pervis] #8979168 12/28/23 02:33 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by pervis
Now when you look at a rig forget the 3/16 bottom. It’s overkill.

If you saw the bottom of my boat, you might think otherwise. But yeah, I don't want to get 3/16 bottom because of the extra weight. So maybe go 1/8 and just be more careful? roflmao I am leaning in that direction right now.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8979178 12/28/23 02:43 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity

Dang, what does a rig like that weigh in at? An easy 1500lbs just hull and motors??

That's like seeing a big jacked up dully with mud tires on it. You'll be SOL when that thing gets stuck.

The trick I have learned is to just not get stuck. roflmao

Seriously though, I take steps now where the risk of getting stuck is very low. I do a lot of idling in unknown shallow waters to stay off plan, I also drop my prop low, that is my depth finder. One of the biggest things I worry about is parking my boat hunting, and water drops significantly during the hunt. That happened to me once.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8979195 12/28/23 03:26 PM
M
mohunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Guy
Now when you look at a rig forget the 3/16 bottom. It’s overkill.

If you saw the bottom of my boat, you might think otherwise. But yeah, I don't want to get 3/16 bottom because of the extra weight. So maybe go 1/8 and just be more careful? roflmao I am leaning in that direction right now.

Just an FYI, weight difference on a 18x50 hull is 64lbs from 1/8 to 3/16 but that weight is spread through the entire boat.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: Guy] #8979485 12/29/23 02:22 AM
P
pervis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
The answer to getting yourself unstuck and being self sufficient I have found is a WINCH. I will never own a boat without one. Get a 4500lb warn ge the wireless Bluetooth remote. Have you two spud poles built and carry a tow strap for a truck or an additional 50 ft of line. Stick the spud pole in the ground hook the winch to the pole you hold onto the pole hit go on your winch remote and you will never own a boat without one again. Personally I have a warn axion 4500 built into the front of my boat I use the remote app and it’s worth its weight in gold.

Re: Motor talk...Mudbuddy or Gatortail? [Re: pervis] #8979632 12/29/23 02:19 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
The answer to getting yourself unstuck and being self sufficient I have found is a WINCH. I will never own a boat without one. Get a 4500lb warn ge the wireless Bluetooth remote. Have you two spud poles built and carry a tow strap for a truck or an additional 50 ft of line. Stick the spud pole in the ground hook the winch to the pole you hold onto the pole hit go on your winch remote and you will never own a boat without one again. Personally I have a warn axion 4500 built into the front of my boat I use the remote app and it’s worth its weight in gold.

That is over kill for me. I would have carried one of those on my boat for 10 years and never used it. But if you ride plane on skinny water, you should have one. I do not go that shallow. If it is so shallow that I cannot float idling, I don't go there. I am taking a risk not carrying a winch, but I take extra precaution to minimize that risk.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide