Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics538,111
Posts9,733,091
Members87,069
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
New to muzzleloader, need list of everything needed to harvest white tail? #8971796 12/12/23 06:26 PM
B
bbarron80 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Besides the muzzleloader itself, what is a basic list of everything needed to get by to harvest a deer? I plan to get over the next year. I don’t know anything about power, tools, anything really. Also, is it hard to be successful from a tree saddle with a muzzleloader? Any help greatly appreciated. Plus any recommendations on a good budget friendly rifle?

Re: New to muzzleloader, need list of everything needed to harvest white tail? [Re: bbarron80] #8971799 12/12/23 06:31 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
New to Muzzleloader hunting? Or new to hunting in general? If you are already a hunter, the only thing you need is a muzzleloader, ignition system( flint, percussion cap, 209 primer), bullet. Possibly lube, and a quick load tube depending on what type of Muzzleloader you have. Can you give us a little more info?

Re: New to muzzleloader, need list of everything needed to harvest white tail? [Re: bbarron80] #8971805 12/12/23 06:40 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I only use sidelock traditional type, so that's all I could
speak for. It's also like everything else, you'll eventually
personalize everything if you stick with it

Depending on where and when, I'll have
A couple of read-to-go "speedloaders"
A capper
A w.p. container with a few caps
( usually) a small w.p. container of powder
A nipple primer
A nipple pick
A nipple wrench ( sometimes a combined tool with pick)
A few extra ready-to-use patches
A small container of patch lube
A piece of handiwrap to wrap the entire lock area
in case of rain ( you can still [censored] and fire with it wrapped)

Not all of that ^ ^ ^ ^ each and every time
If I'm just going to a close spot I stick a few "speedloaders"
in a pocket along with a capper

Someone that uses inlines will have to say for that

Good Luck

( should have also listed a powder measure, but I
wasn't thinking about it since it's a given)

Last edited by maximum; 12/12/23 07:55 PM.
Re: New to muzzleloader, need list of everything needed to harvest white tail? [Re: bbarron80] #8971825 12/12/23 07:21 PM
B
bbarron80 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
New to hunting, this has been my first year deer hunting. Have all the needed gear to tree saddle hunt. Just need to know what all is needed for the muzzleloading specific equipment. Will be public land hunting. I don’t see any specific regulations against a scope for Texas.

Re: New to muzzleloader, need list of everything needed to harvest white tail? [Re: bbarron80] #8972037 12/13/23 04:30 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by bbarron80
New to hunting, this has been my first year deer hunting. Have all the needed gear to tree saddle hunt. Just need to know what all is needed for the muzzleloading specific equipment. Will be public land hunting. I don’t see any specific regulations against a scope for Texas.

What kind of rifle are you getting? Side lock or inline? I assume that you have not made that purchase yet. If you are looking for the more traditional type of Muzzleloader, you will want a sidelock. Like this...
[Linked Image]
If you want an inline, there are two basic types. break open or bolt. The break open or bolt muzzleloaders will look much more like a modern rifle. IMO there are no real advantages to one over the other (break or bolt) just which you prefer. The inline style will be easier to learn, easier to keep dry, etc.

Last edited by unclebubba; 12/13/23 04:31 AM.
Re: New to muzzleloader, need list of everything needed to harvest white tail? [Re: unclebubba] #8975144 12/19/23 01:57 PM
B
bbarron80 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
What is the easiest type of muzzleloader to start with? Again will be tree saddle hunting. Probably doing some long walks through the woods. Wanting something easy to set up and use, plus as easy on the wallet as I can get. Will only be using to hunt white tail.

Re: New to muzzleloader, need list of everything needed to harvest white tail? [Re: bbarron80] #8975236 12/19/23 04:32 PM
B
bbarron80 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Gonna settle on a CVA wolf. Seems like a decent beginner gun that will get the job done.

Re: New to muzzleloader, need list of everything needed to harvest white tail? [Re: bbarron80] #8980098 12/30/23 07:29 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted by bbarron80
Gonna settle on a CVA wolf. Seems like a decent beginner gun that will get the job done.

CVA wolf is a good place to start, will help you learn the basics of inline without breaking the bank. It is where I really got started, hand a hand me down that I hunted with for a couple of years, but when Gander Mountain went out of business I bought a wolf "kit" for 60% off and was in bidness. I have recently transitioned to traditional, so I will see how that goes.
I have learned there are 2 types of ML hunters, those that love it and those that don't. So, good luck and welcome to the dark side!

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: New to muzzleloader, need list of everything needed to harvest white tail? [Re: bbarron80] #8986781 01/13/24 06:32 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
CVA Wolf is a good gun. Minimum-

Gun
Pyrodex pellets, or fire star, or etc. i have a ton of firestars I got super duper cheap three seasons ago. Leave them sealed in the tubes they never go bad. And they are easy to find.
209 primers- muzzleloading primers, whatever you can get don’t get bent out of shape over it
Projectile- power belts are easy to find, or you could get some sabots and some hornady XTP’s, or etc. power belt is the easy button
Cleaning patches
Bore brush
Primer pocket tool
Anti-sieze for the threads of the plug, after you clean the heck out of the gun

You can get by using a spit patch between shots and just scrub that sucker out with water and brush/patches after a range session. There are better things out there but it will get you by. I washed mine out with hot soapy water and put it up for the rest of three seasons because i got a bow and am addicted to the bow.

I pulled it out, bore is perfect.

In between shots at the range I usually run a spit patch and a dry patch. The pellets are pretty dirty. Very hard to load a sabot between shots without swabbing. But the power belts are easier to load.

Look I am for sure a novice with about 5 minutes more experience than you. I am just letting you know, you don’t need much to get started.

You could probably get by ok just using the cleaning jag that comes with the gun and cleaning patches and water. But a bore brush is a pretty minimum investment for a lot of return.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 01/13/24 06:33 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: New to muzzleloader, need list of everything needed to harvest white tail? [Re: bbarron80] #8986784 01/13/24 06:56 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Also the basic bristle brush/tooth brush or brass bristle brush to scrub that plug good. Hot soapy water is good for black powder. Some people use ammonia, etc i don’t know hoe important it is for that but hot soapy water seems to do the trick.

I have a few different pre loaded cleaning patches with some type of cleaner, they do work well. But if you are gonna put the gun up until next season you better wash it and scrub it out good with hot soapy water.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide