Forums46
Topics538,242
Posts9,734,733
Members87,077
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8970162 12/09/23 03:58 AM
B
bjh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Have seen 6..two crossing hwy 500,one on our lease just off 500 in sansaba cty, two on hwy84 east of Goldthaite, one on lake palistine chasing a deer.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8970193 12/09/23 12:37 PM
R
rabst Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
While hunting for mule deer in Jeff Davis County back in about 2002, IIRC, I saw a couple cross one of the ranch roads while driving out of camp one morning. The ranch owner at the time (Sproul Ranch, near Fort Davis) ran them with dogs, and, I was told, treed and killed them later that evening.

My wife and I saw a glimpse of what we believe were three mountain lions crossing a sendero about 150 yards in front of us, while driving a Kawasaki Mule on the family ranch in McMullen County, about 15 years ago. Over the years, several reliable hunters also reported sightings, but I never saw another one down there.

I had a deer lease in northern Nuevo León, Mexico, back in the late '90s. My brother came down with me one weekend and saw a mother with two cubs come up to water at a stock tank right at dusk. It was too dark for a photograph, but he dragged me over there the next morning and showed, and photographed, the paw prints in the soft mud.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8970234 12/09/23 02:07 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Muzzle loader Elk hunting in 6 inches of snow near Kremmling Colorado about 20 years ago when at day break I heard an animal roaring coming in my direction. I was positioned at the edge of a meadow when on the opposite side about 150 yds away a female lion with older 2 cubs broke cover and were walking toward me. I had crossed the meadow earlier and my tracks were in the snow. When she hit my tracks she hesitated for a moment and then took off in the opposite direction. Crystal clear morning so no doubt what I saw. I must say the few moments while she was roaring and approaching had the hair up on the back of my neck. I posted the Black panther / mountain lion
post and this was one of my earlier experience seeing a large cat s in the wild.

Last edited by Flashprism; 12/09/23 02:11 PM.
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8970240 12/09/23 02:23 PM
el Rojo Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I saw the back half of one in Terrell county. I was walking below me in the wash...the same wash I had to cross in the dark after coming off the bluff I was hunting. Don't no why, but that night I quit hunting a little early and crossed the wash in the daylight. LOL

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8970533 12/10/23 01:46 AM
C
crankbait745 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
One in Colorado in 1992, one in Cotulla in 2003 and one in whitney in 2022.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8970730 12/10/23 03:57 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Have seen two. The first one a buddy and I saw one laying under a mesquite tree in Haskell while we were Quail hunting. The second one I saw while driving down the road in Foard county.

Last edited by Sidebuster; 12/10/23 03:57 PM.
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8970815 12/10/23 07:34 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I saw one in the San Pedro Parks wilderness back in mid 80s. It was fun to watch, it acted like a house cat catching mice in an old downed pinon tree. I knew my hunt was over as soon as it showed up, but I didn't care. Pretty neat to watch.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8970817 12/10/23 07:35 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Saw one in Colorado elk hunting.
One on my land in Montague County. Had been seeing tracks.

Both of the above were quick glimpses.

However, while in the USAF, outside of Phoenix, I was calling coyotes and sitting on a tall bunch of square hay bales. A lion showed up. I didn’t want to shoot it and it didn’t want to come up there after me. It left. Prior to coming down, I fired off a couple of shots and hustled back to my pickup.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8970847 12/10/23 08:48 PM
D
deerhunter1956 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Eastland just before sunrise walked about 50 yards in front of me.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8970967 12/11/23 01:40 AM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I never looked up but I knew he was in the tree over my head. I didn’t stick around to make his acquaintance.

[b][/b]
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: Flashprism] #8971103 12/11/23 01:11 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Flashprism
Muzzle loader Elk hunting in 6 inches of snow near Kremmling Colorado about 20 years ago when at day break I heard an animal roaring coming in my direction. I was positioned at the edge of a meadow when on the opposite side about 150 yds away a female lion with older 2 cubs broke cover and were walking toward me. I had crossed the meadow earlier and my tracks were in the snow. When she hit my tracks she hesitated for a moment and then took off in the opposite direction. Crystal clear morning so no doubt what I saw. I must say the few moments while she was roaring and approaching had the hair up on the back of my neck. I posted the Black panther / mountain lion post and this was one of my earlier experience seeing a large cat s in the wild.

^^^^^^

Interesting since Cougars (and cheetahs) can not 'roar' ?

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: flintknapper] #8971129 12/11/23 01:47 PM
T
Triton$ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Muzzle loader Elk hunting in 6 inches of snow near Kremmling Colorado about 20 years ago when at day break I heard an animal roaring coming in my direction. I was positioned at the edge of a meadow when on the opposite side about 150 yds away a female lion with older 2 cubs broke cover and were walking toward me. I had crossed the meadow earlier and my tracks were in the snow. When she hit my tracks she hesitated for a moment and then took off in the opposite direction. Crystal clear morning so no doubt what I saw. I must say the few moments while she was roaring and approaching had the hair up on the back of my neck. I posted the Black panther / mountain lion post and this was one of my earlier experience seeing a large cat s in the wild.

^^^^^^

Interesting since Cougars (and cheetahs) can not 'roar' ?

Yep, only the 5 big cat species can roar

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8971187 12/11/23 03:35 PM
H
Hunt Dog Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
I have, a couple times. Early '90s a little outside of Big Wells (Dimmit County). We were hunting/camping on a buddy's lease in mid-December.
One afternoon one of the guys looked up the road/sendero and saw a big cat. We all got out our binoculars and started checking it out.
Then we saw the cubs. It was a mama and her babies. She watched us as we watched her. It would have been an easy shot, but we didn't want to orphan the cubs.
Saw her a couple more times that trip and again about a year later.

We were a little nervous when we would go pee in the brush during the night.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8971509 12/12/23 01:37 AM
H
hollidayHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I've seen 3. One in Baylor county back in the 70s. The next one ran across the road in front of me outside of Junction. Had a juvenile run across the road in front of us in Wyoming this May.

That's my $.02. Here's you're change!!
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: gary roberson] #8971601 12/12/23 12:24 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
About 7-8 years ago during a fishing/camping trip at Big Bear Lake in California

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8971617 12/12/23 01:15 PM
Nolanco Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
A dead one along Highway 62 in Southern Oregon, and a live one in my headlights at night on an S-curve in the Greensprings Highway in the southern Cascade Mountains. The creepiest encounter was when I was helping a friend with his beaver trapline in the dead of winter on the Rogue River not far from Crater Lake. We came upon an extremely fresh blacktail buck kill -- only partially eaten, and the tracks were so recent there was still moisture seeping in the pug marks. Our eyes got as big as saucers and we both double-checked our pistols and then back-tracked the hell out of there.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: flintknapper] #8971666 12/12/23 02:39 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
So I didn't hear a mountain lion roar when she approached. You got me, I was just trying to allow people to see your vast knowledge and intellectual superiority !!!

I guess it wasn't a roar it was more like the attached below.

Always curious why some members want to discredit others

By the way most children and non out doors people have heard this common cougar screech on numerous TV shows and out door specials. Surprised you missed it!!!

https://youtu.be/EfnTdF7ja9E

Last edited by Flashprism; 12/12/23 03:44 PM.
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8971706 12/12/23 03:41 PM
el Rojo Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
So listening to the video reminded me of another mountain lion encounter. The wife and I went to our getaway in Arkansas. Being very tired from work we both took a long nap that afternoon, so we wound up cooking our steaks late that evening. We had just started buying Sam's thick ribeye's and the wife cooked them very rare. After supper we decided to sit out back (by the grill) and watch the fireworks from the town just south of us, it was the weekend before 4th of July. So we're sitting there enjoying a glass of wine, just listening to the cicada's when all of a sudden a mountain lion screamed about 10 yards from us. eeks333 Well all I can say is my wife passed the wilderness 101 class...the one where all you have to do is out run your buddy for safety. My [censored] was stuck in the chair and she was behind the door saying "come on, come on!" The lion was coming to the blood smell still fresh in the grill. Let's just say that's a night we will remember forever.

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: Flashprism] #8971721 12/12/23 04:02 PM
T
Triton$ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
So I didn't hear a mountain lion roar when she approached. You got me, I was just trying to allow people to see your vast knowledge and intellectual superiority !!!

I guess it wasn't a roar it was more like the attached below.

Always curious why some members want to discredit others

By the way most children and non out doors people have heard this common cougar screech on numerous TV shows and out door specials. Surprised you missed it!!!

https://youtu.be/EfnTdF7ja9E

He was just pointing out facts. Only the big 5 cats roar

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: Triton$] #8971801 12/12/23 06:36 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
So you also want to argue the mute point!!! I was relating that the lion was approaching making an intimidating sound. I'll contact you guys in the future to help me be precise in the semantics I use to tell my story. Mountain lions do make load screams, Roars, hisses. etc,
Both of you need to find better things to do then demean your fellow out doors men. I'm certain the video I attached clarifies to normal people the point I was making. I do now see how smart you both are but who cares,

Last edited by Flashprism; 12/12/23 06:57 PM.
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8971928 12/12/23 11:29 PM
B
bluetopper Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
There are mountain lions who come feed at night on the big landfill in Melissa, Collin County. It’s a fact! I’ve seen two.

Last edited by bluetopper; 12/13/23 12:10 AM.

Uprisings started or quelled, tornadoes rerouted, elections rigged.
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: bluetopper] #8971937 12/12/23 11:46 PM
T
Triton$ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Originally Posted by bluetopper
There are big long tail cats who come feed at night on the big landfill in Melissa, Collin County. It’s a fact! I’ve seen two.

Those are called feral cats

Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: Flashprism] #8971941 12/12/23 11:49 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
So you also want to argue the mute point!!! I was relating that the lion was approaching making an intimidating sound. I'll contact you guys in the future to help me be precise in the semantics I use to tell my story. Mountain lions do make load screams, Roars, hisses. etc,
Both of you need to find better things to do then demean your fellow out doors men. I'm certain the video I attached clarifies to normal people the point I was making. I do now see how smart you both are but who cares,

We simply strive to be 'accurate' here. Is not our fault you do not know the difference between a 'roar' and a 'scream'. And yes it makes a difference.

I would submit you are being a bit too sensitive about the correction.

The video you posted is a good representation of some of the sounds cougars make (none of them remotely like a roar however). I would venture a guess.... the vast majority of supposed cougar 'screams' heard by folks are NOT cougars at all....but Gray Fox calling in the night.

And I would be most interested to know how folks can tell a Black Panther scream from that of a normal colored Cougar? Those folks must possess a special gift. (sarcasm off).

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8971948 12/13/23 12:05 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I have not seen any, but other hunters on properties that I have been on have. My Dad and the LO in OK (Osage county) have both seen mountain lions. My Son and Father in Law have both seen them on our place in Navarro County.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Who has seen a mountain lion in the wild? [Re: BenBob] #8971949 12/13/23 12:06 AM
S
ScrapIron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
i saw one cross a county road in soythern gonzales county in 2000

missed a easy shot at one in the same area in 2003, came to rattling horns on my right side at about 80 yds. by the time i convinced myself what i was seeing it stepped into the pasture road and i missed am easy offhand shot. went the next morning and made plaster casts of its tracks.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide