Page 1 of 2 1 2
Closest you hunt to a neighbor? #8968251 12/05/23 09:37 PM
S
spoon33 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Didn't walk every inch of our new lease this year due to acquiring it right before the season, but on the satellite there is a wooded spot near the fence line that looks good and the neighbor has trees and a pond so I'd imagine it's a good area.

Well opening day of rifle season we heard a shot come from that general area. I am guessing the neighbor has a stand over there on his property. I really want to scout/hang a stand around there next fall but don't want to be "that guy" and hunt too close to his property or his potential stand. There of course isn't anything illegal about hunting near the property line, but I am still not wanting to hunt on top of him if he has a stand over there.

So what is the closest you've hunted on your property line, or hunted by a neighbor?

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968256 12/05/23 09:47 PM
B
Bowhunter 64 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Would talk to the neighbor first if it’s real close to the fence line. I hunt about 100 yards from my Nieghbor’s fence line but he doesn’t hunt and I cant shoot his direction because there is nothing to see but thick mesquite . I hunt parallel to his fence . Best to know what’s going on over there before hanging a stand . You wouldn’t want to get shot either.

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968280 12/05/23 10:15 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have one blind that is 40 yards from my north fence line. It faces south, into my place, looking at a feeder about 80 yards further south, and an oak mott with cedar and brush are between the blind and the north fence line. I checked Google Earth before I did it and there doesn't appear to be any roads, blinds, etc. for a good area on his side. I've rechecked it with updated satellite imagery from last year and still appears to be good. I have both his and his son's cell numbers and they have mine. So far, a good situation.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968312 12/05/23 10:50 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I'm 250 yds from the boundary and 780 yards from my neighbors nearest stand... I'm very fortunate to have good neighbors.

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968388 12/05/23 11:58 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I have one blind that faces a non hunting neighbors property. The blind is 200yds away from the fence line and the feeder is 75yds away. The area it faces is one with very limited traffic from the neighbor. The blind is also elevated 50ft above the feeder so minimal risk of bullets traveling beyond where they are intended

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968393 12/06/23 12:03 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Couple hundred feet….

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968407 12/06/23 12:17 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
10 yards off the south fence line hunting feeder and brush northward into my place 100-300 yards. The neighbor's place is mostly open pasture grazed by cattle and not an area hunted by neighbor.

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968453 12/06/23 01:03 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
It seems alot of folks consider 100 yards as a rule of thumb. Not saying good or bad but reporting what I’ve heard through the years.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968468 12/06/23 01:18 AM
texasag93 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I had a feeder next to a fence line. The other property had not been hunted for over 10 years.

I walk in on opening day 2 years ago and there is a tripod stand on the other side of the fence.

I never saw who put the tripod stand up, but I moved my feeder.

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: texasag93] #8968515 12/06/23 02:31 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by texasag93
I had a feeder next to a fence line. The other property had not been hunted for over 10 years.

I walk in on opening day 2 years ago and there is a tripod stand on the other side of the fence.

I never saw who put the tripod stand up, but I moved my feeder.

One day at a corner entrance gate to my lease in young county I met the neighbor painting his fence. Nice guy who only visited his property on weekends, he did not deer hunt, and told me where a nice buck had been running on our shared boundary. He told me I could hunt his property any Sunday as long as I come by and ask first. He also encouraged me to put my tripod on the fence line where he saw the buck complete with permission to shoot over the fence anytime as long as it is a nice buck. It was near the end of season when I talked to him, but I put a tripod there against the fence where the owner told me to to keep my foot in that door. The next season I was trimming some limbs around the tripod and a guy I had never seen before walks up. He looked upset. Come to find out he purchased the property from the other guy over the summer and I don't think he believed my story. I of course told him I would move it and moved it to a different part of my lease that day. I never even got to hunt it at that spot even once. And guess what that guy did? He put a feeder in a pen right up against the fence at that spot. At least two landowners later, there is still a feeder there. A hill on our side is the backstop. I never say anything to them because I countered with a ground blind just over the hill from it watching over the area on my side where most of the Deer stage before going to that feeder.

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968613 12/06/23 11:23 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Our lease rule is no closer than 300 yards to an exterior fence line and/or pond that is on our lease -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968619 12/06/23 11:51 AM
D
DJ22 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
20 feet to the pipeline Nazis next to me

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968636 12/06/23 12:30 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
our neighboring LO had a hunter set up his stand within feet of the fence on top of a little hill with his feeder at the bottom of the hill just inside the fence on a major game trail leading to our northwest most stand which was about 350 yards to the south of the fence that had been there for years (why the major game trail). We spoke to the LO & hunter, they stated they were hunting parallel to the fence & inward and no bullets would cross. We were p!ssed but nothing illegal about the set up. Glad those hunters are gone now and the new ones didn't try the same spot.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968683 12/06/23 02:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
1.42 is the closet to my stand but i do hunt 2ft from a HF with razor wire at the top

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968693 12/06/23 02:33 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Guess I don't see the extreme fixation on this topic and never really have; as long as neighbor is being safe with their shots and not shooting across property lines, I could care less whether they kill something 5' or 500 yards into "their" legal space. Dead is dead wherever it falls. If they are dangerous with their shots and projectiles risk crossing property lines, that's a different discussion for a different day with different possible actions/remedies, as is "brown it's down mentality". Not my place to serve as state's fenceline warden, though it could be fun at times. I just feel fortunate to be able to legally hunt this great state's game resources and hope that continues into perputuity for future genrrations. That is at least my take on things regarding this topic of discussion.

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: DQ Kid] #8968699 12/06/23 02:39 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Guess I don't see the extreme fixation on this topic and never really have; as long as neighbor is being safe with their shots and not shooting across property lines, I could care less whether they kill something 5' or 500 yards into "their" legal space. Dead is dead wherever it falls. If they are dangerous with their shots and projectiles risk crossing property lines, that's a different discussion for a different day with different possible actions/remedies, as is "brown it's down mentality". Not my place to serve as state's fenceline warden, though it could be fun at times. I just feel fortunate to be able to legally hunt this great state's game resources and hope that continues into perputuity for future genrrations. That is at least my take on things regarding this topic of discussion.

I agree with what you said - on the other hand I would not do it myself out of common courtesy to whomever my neighbor is and one would hope most other hunters/LO's would do the same for their neighbors

You can't fix stupid
Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: tlk] #8968738 12/06/23 03:58 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tlk
Our lease rule is no closer than 300 yards to an exterior fence line and/or pond that is on our lease -

Do you mind speaking more to why you don't place blinds near the ponds? Those are always some of my favorite blinds as I love watching ducks come in on those early mornings. If you were referring to feeders and the issue with baiting migratory birds I get it, 300yds just seems like a lot in that instance

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: Double AC] #8968739 12/06/23 04:00 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Double AC
Originally Posted by tlk

Do you mind speaking more to why you don't place blinds near the ponds? Those are always some of my favorite blinds as I love watching ducks come in on those early mornings. If you were referring to feeders and the issue with baiting migratory birds I get it, 300yds just seems like a lot in that instance

I find the pond interesting. We had one dug and put a blind near it. It has never been a draw to the deer as far as we can tell. It’s the exception more than the rule that anything drinks at it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: Double AC] #8968751 12/06/23 04:13 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by tlk

we do it so the deer can go to water without being disturbed - it has been the LO's rule for many years - we also do not shoot deer inside any feed pens - right or wrong that is what it is

You can't fix stupid
Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: redchevy] #8968752 12/06/23 04:15 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by tlk

I find the pond interesting. We had one dug and put a blind near it. It has never been a draw to the deer as far as we can tell. It’s the exception more than the rule that anything drinks at it.

I had a well dug, put a solar pump on it, and had a small tank dug. I've tried different cameras and just don't get that many pictures. They use it, for sure, but just not as many pictures as I thought. I thought maybe the new, bright caliche is tricking the camera, but maybe the neighbor has some water close that I just couldn't pick up on Google Earth. confused2

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: redchevy] #8968775 12/06/23 04:46 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by tlk

I don’t think I’ve ever had whitetail go to that pond while I’ve been hunting there. Turkeys, exotics, and hogs are semi frequent. I just find it creates a more enjoyable and scenic sit

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968786 12/06/23 05:00 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Most frequent drinkers are quail and coyotes

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968830 12/06/23 06:19 PM
F
fishbait Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Man I have water tubs and I got many pictures every day and night. My tubs have to be refilled every other day because they are empty. Water is my best attractant. I would have as many as 300 to 500 pictures a day.

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: spoon33] #8968838 12/06/23 06:39 PM
F
fishbait Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
On the fence thing..I don't put a blind any closer than 150 yards with a good bunch of brush behind that. That is just out of courtesy on my part. I don't like a feeder or blind on my fence line. One time I had my fence then a feeder then a blind where their only shot was straight into my lease.
Very dangerous.

Re: Closest you hunt to a neighbor? [Re: Double AC] #8968863 12/06/23 07:23 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by tlk

A lease partner put a feeder right on the bank of one of our only two small ponds. We jumped ducks, hunted dove coming to water, and fished it for years, I reminded him we would no longer be able to duck and dove hunt it, can't fish it during season without disturbing his stand/feeder, and it was a cattle magnet. It was his choice, but fortunately he decided to move it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide