Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? #8964139 11/29/23 10:08 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
At what age do you think a deer will achieve his best set of antlers? I like to say “max rack”.
I know there are many many variables but give me your best shot. Try to compare apples to apples by assuming even amounts of rainfall from year to year.
I’m mostly curious about free ranging NON protein fed deer, but please give whatever info you are experienced with. If it’s a protein fed situation then say that.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964144 11/29/23 10:13 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Start to go down year 7.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964154 11/29/23 10:29 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
6 max out or in exceptional range conditions 7 can be even better.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: kmon11] #8964161 11/29/23 10:38 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by kmon11
6 max out or in exceptional range conditions 7 can be even better.

Agree, Year 6 on avg., past that more declining than rising on avg.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964164 11/29/23 10:42 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Along with assuming consistent average rainfall, also assume consistent quality range conditions.
Trying to take out environmental factors and just evaluating what the deer is capable of under like circumstances.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964177 11/29/23 10:51 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
THIS article follows a buck from 1.5 until his natural death at 12.5. Good data.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964180 11/29/23 11:02 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I have hunted the place I hunt now since 2007. Our deer see the biggest jump in score from age 3.5 to 4.5. After 4.5 the racks see minimal gain even in really wet years. In dry years I have even seen them drop below what they were at 4.5. So for our herd I say our deer max out at 4.5 and get better or worse depending on range conditions every year after that. Last year our 4 year old racks looked more like 3 year olds due to the range conditions so I didnt even shoot a deer hoping they would rebound at age 5. Sadly only one of those deer lived to see 5 years old this year and he went from a very average 4 year old 9 point to a nice 5 year old 11 point this year so I took him with my bow.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964211 11/29/23 11:49 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Have seen best racks anywhere from 5.5 to 7.5 and I believe there are too many factors to predict when a deer will have his best year. I’ve seen bucks have their best years in poor range conditions and they’re worst in good range conditions. I think range conditions are a better predictor for the antler growth at the aggregate herd level rather than the individual level

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964399 11/30/23 05:04 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Yeah, if you take out the environmental factors and just go by growrh thru the ages, the max frowth will be between 7-8yo on average, with some deer continuing to put on antler “score” into 10 years.

But….how can you take away environmental factors when that is exactly what determines a deers phenotypic expression? Range conditions, nutrition, stress (both predator and rut stress being the biggest players, but also climate stress added in as well) all play such huge roles.

It is an interesting concept to discuss max antlers at what age, but no deer is ever living in the situation where you can ignore environmental factors. Kind of like asking what electric vehicle gets the best mile range, when we all know the testing range conditions are never even remotely close to approximating the real driving conditions and the real mile range one gets from one of those EVs.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964439 11/30/23 12:39 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964516 11/30/23 02:25 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I didn’t mean to say ”take out” environmental factors. I’m just assuming average environmental factors. I do want to assume a property with above average natural habitat.
I’m looking at an age class of bucks that have been through life in average conditions and now they are in their prime.
At what max age have you seen their best and what age will be one too many?

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964600 11/30/23 04:00 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
For what age will be one too many - we don't pass on 7.5 if we get the opportunity to kill them then. Mortality seems to increase dramatically at that point

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Double AC] #8964639 11/30/23 04:44 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double AC
For what age will be one too many - we don't pass on 7.5 if we get the opportunity to kill them then. Mortality seems to increase dramatically at that point

Double, good point on natural mortality. Everyone can/should/will make their own decisions on when they think deer will die by either bullet or nature. I’m trying to narrow the focus to just the deer that DO make it to that next year. At what year are they max rack and when is it one year too many? Once again, there’s factors that will cause racks to go up or down year to year but things being equal, what year is the max rack year?

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964698 11/30/23 05:50 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Free range with no protein supplementation I’d say 6 1/2. On a well managed place with unlimited groceries I’d say 8 1/2.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: SapperTitan] #8964718 11/30/23 06:11 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
Free range with no protein supplementation I’d say 6 1/2. On a well managed place with unlimited groceries I’d say 8 1/2.

Thanks, Sapp. That is what I have always thought but we have unusually good natural habitat that stays more on an even plane than some country that’s boom or bust with rain. Rain is always big but some mast and woody plants will still be there during hard times.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964730 11/30/23 06:25 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Galvan doesn’t let trophies go till wildlife mgr pegs videos or photos as being 7. 6 is our minimum trophy age and now. some waiting until 7.

This one wasn’t crap and should’ve been taken prior until he blew up at 7.
[Linked Image]

It doesn’t always work out. Not always sure about age and range conditions play a large factor. One thing is certain, they don’t get bigger once shot.

Last edited by Hudbone; 11/30/23 06:26 PM.
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964756 11/30/23 06:55 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks Hud. Do you have pics of DD before 7yr?

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964845 11/30/23 09:11 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
We feed protein. We manipulate the browse with herbicide and fire. Habitat is above average. Average annual rainfall is 42”. The population hovers right around carrying capacity. 7.5 is where the majority peak. Somewhere from age
5 1/2 to 7 1/2 many do have a down year that they bounce back from.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 11/30/23 09:13 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8964884 11/30/23 09:56 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
We feed protein. We manipulate the browse with herbicide and fire. Habitat is above average. Average annual rainfall is 42”. The population hovers right around carrying capacity. 7.5 is where the majority peak. Somewhere from age

Smokey is a man that lives it. No copy paste for him.
Thanks for that excellent insight. 👍
I wonder with the population control, habitat work and good natural habitat, if you didn’t feed protein would they still peak at 7. That’s kind of the end game on this thread for me.

Last edited by freerange; 11/30/23 09:58 PM.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964888 11/30/23 10:18 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Depends entirely on the property. On well fed and well managed properties, 7 years old is when they want to harvest them.

On another ranch 60 miles away, they may have a hard time carrying a deer past 5 years old. We had a hard time getting a deer past that...i passed on a bunch of 5 year olds trying to get them to 6 and we never saw them again.

I've seen deer be their best at 4 years old and other times their best at 7. Its really a case by case basis with a variety of factors coming into play.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964893 11/30/23 10:24 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by freerange

I wonder with the population control, habitat work and good natural habitat, if you didn’t feed protein would they still peak at 7. That’s kind of the end game on this thread for me.

My gut says age would not change. Protein feeding shines where numbers exceed carrying capacity and in marginal habitat where the deer, by necessity, subsist on lower quality forage. That is not the case where I do the bulk of my hunting. What the supplemental protein stations does best is make it very simple to inventory all the bucks that live on a large tract at night in a relatively small percentage of the property. For that reason alone it is very unlikely the group I hunt with will abandon their feeding program. Genetics and age are the main determining factors on producing big deer. Protein is not the magic it is made out to be. The scrubs live at the protein feeders alongside the deer that get big. The scrubs still don’t get big…

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8964897 11/30/23 10:35 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

My gut says age would not change. Protein feeding shines where numbers exceed carrying capacity and in marginal habitat where the deer, by necessity, subsist on lower quality forage. That is not the case where I do the bulk of my hunting. What the supplemental protein stations does best is make it very simple to inventory all the bucks that live on a large tract at night in a relatively small percentage of the property. For that reason alone it is very unlikely the group I hunt with will abandon their feeding program. Genetics and age are the main determining factors on producing big deer. Protein is not the magic it is made out to be. The scrubs live at the protein feeders alongside the deer that get big. The scrubs still don’t get big…

Very true... it wont change their genetics... imo it just gives the deer that are capable of growing to large sizes the best chance of doing so by taking the stress of finding or fighting over food away. The years that mother nature is a bit harsh for plant growth is when it shows the most

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8964904 11/30/23 10:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
its higher in the south then in the north.

Big different in STX vs Kansas vs Michigan

Free to answer your question even if your aren't supplementing with protein, there is still a large different in other supplemental influence like ag: alfalfa, soybeans etc

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8964923 11/30/23 11:15 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Free to answer your question even if your aren't supplementing with protein, there is still a large different in other supplemental influence like ag: alfalfa, soybeans etc

Assume no ag and assume Tx and Okla.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8964936 11/30/23 11:38 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

All my Oklahoma management is either panhandle(irrelevant) or North east’ish along KS border. I can tell you my biggest jumps were from 4.5 -5.5 as a % and most still grew most years into 7.5. 7.5 seemed to be more susceptible to big swings via mother nature, they also has least amount of growth and where more susceptible to EHD and natural mortality as they really started being pushed around.

Before I sold my part, we had dramatically increased buck herd age in general, but still kept about same densities. We really focused on doe harvest and 6.5 or better on bucks. We did start supplemental with bag protein last 2 years I had it but compared to me tilling under coastal and putting in Alfalfa and pulling corn/wheat and moving to soybeans its was minimal. Ag made carry bucks another 1-2 years much easier. With out it wouldnt be worth even thinking 7.5 and 6.5 might been marginal growth to even consider it IMO

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8964957 12/01/23 12:08 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

All my Oklahoma management is either panhandle(irrelevant) or North east’ish along KS border. I can tell you my biggest jumps were from 4.5 -5.5 as a % and most still grew most years into 7.5. 7.5 seemed to be more susceptible to big swings via mother nature, they also has least amount of growth and where more susceptible to EHD and natural mortality as they really started feeding pushed around.

Before I sold my part, we had dramatically increased buck herd age in general, but still kept about same densities. We really focused on doe harvest and 6.5 or better on bucks. We did start supplemental with bag protein last 2 years I had it but compared to me tilling under coastal and putting in Alfalfa and pulling corn/wheat and moving to soybeans its was minimal. Ag made carry bucks another 1-2 years much easier. With out it wouldnt be worth even thinking 7.5 and 6.5 might been marginal growth to even consider it

Curious Bobo. Is 7.5 where you most often see big mass blossom?
For us that is what when we see. The ones that throw the big mass do it most often then. That is what swayed us to let the high end bucks ride till 7.5. And like you mentioned, it is a calculated gamble. FWIW we hit on that gamble more than we miss. We do miss some but occasionally we hit big. We have also occasionally seen what Hud detailed. Average deer that get that kind of age because nobody will shoot them and then blow up out of nowhere at 7 or 8. Nobody here has mentioned the dirt, but it plays into it. Some geographic areas just grow them big and have for decades. Well before feeding protein was a thing there have been some areas that produced big deer year in and year out… there are more big ones today than there used to be. There are also more people letting the deer get some age on them.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8964984 12/01/23 01:03 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

All my Oklahoma management is either panhandle(irrelevant) or North east’ish along KS border. I can tell you my biggest jumps were from 4.5 -5.5 as a % and most still grew most years into 7.5. 7.5 seemed to be more susceptible to big swings via mother nature, they also has least amount of growth and where more susceptible to EHD and natural mortality as they really started feeding pushed around.

Before I sold my part, we had dramatically increased buck herd age in general, but still kept about same densities. We really focused on doe harvest and 6.5 or better on bucks. We did start supplemental with bag protein last 2 years I had it but compared to me tilling under coastal and putting in Alfalfa and pulling corn/wheat and moving to soybeans its was minimal. Ag made carry bucks another 1-2 years much easier. With out it wouldnt be worth even thinking 7.5 and 6.5 might been marginal growth to even consider it

Curious Bobo. Is 7.5 where you most often see big mass blossom?
For us that is what when we see. The ones that throw the big mass do it most often then. That is what swayed us to let the high end bucks ride till 7.5. And like you mentioned, it is a calculated gamble. FWIW we hit on that gamble more than we miss. We do miss some but occasionally we hit big. We have also occasionally seen what Hud detailed. Average deer that get that kind of age because nobody will shoot them and then blow up out of nowhere at 7 or 8. Nobody here has mentioned the dirt, but it plays into it. Some geographic areas just grow them big and have for decades. Well before feeding protein was a thing there have been some areas that produced big deer year in and year out… there are more big ones today than there used to be. There are also more people letting the deer get some age on them.

from a score # no, 6.5 was. 7.5 was same mass usually but carried in to times more. Biggest difference was 7.5 was all the little added junk that showed up, but it seemed about 50% chance it didnt off set shorter times.

North of OKC Im not sure the winters make it worth trying to carry past 6.5. In fact north of Red with out heavy ag or supplemental , I wouldn't think about caring over unless he just lost a whole beam. I just dont think its worth the higher risk of natural death vs what you might gain

Friends in KS and Nebraska pretty much see the same thing as 6.5 is about tops. alot of them say they see more declines at 6.5, unless is just an exceptional moisture year. They all annuli deer like we do so while not exact its closer then just observational.

I agree on the dirt, also some areas just seem to get moisture at the right times, consistently , with stout dirt timely rains make for monster deer,

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965038 12/01/23 02:17 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Ok so free set a few parameters and i still will say given the place you hunt, 7.5 is going to be about max score for “most” bucks. You will run the risk of natural mortality from rut past that point, you have way too many 4-5.5 yo bucks with great antlers that will challenge a great 8.5 yo and tear that older guy a new one, but also with the environmental stresses you see there, hot summers and colder winters, i would not be shocked if most bucks are dead by 8.5-9.5 at the latest. Most are probably dying a couple years before that. There will be the occasional non-rutting old buck that may show up older, but by then antlers will be lower than 7.5-8.5.

For your hunting Free, i would believe “most” bucks peak around 6.5-7.5. Not gonna see much after that in gain.
In a drought couple of year you could wait till 7.5, but in a time where mast and natural browse are good and plentiful for several years, 6.5 is probably going to be a good target age.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965057 12/01/23 02:37 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Bergmann's rule pretty much sets the tone,

STX growth at 7.5+ just isn't common placed future north you go. Some of those ranches are taking bucks with live weights at 240+ at 7.5. Thats heavy real heavy, and not happening with out supplemental

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965077 12/01/23 02:57 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Yes, but bergmann isnt doing much from an antler standpoint, only body weight. A massive northern buck may have mediocre antlers because so much of its effort goes to making that big body able to sustain a winter that is harsh. Whereas a big body south texas/oklahoma deer isnt having to expend all that effort to growing body and can grow bigger antlers.

Having said that, i think most northern hunters would say they would love to let bucks get to 7.5 or so, but so few actually can make it that ling due to a number of factors up there.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8965084 12/01/23 03:07 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Yes, but bergmann isnt doing much from an antler standpoint, only body weight. A massive northern buck may have mediocre antlers because so much of its effort goes to making that big body able to sustain a winter that is harsh. Whereas a big body south texas/oklahoma deer isnt having to expend all that effort to growing body and can grow bigger antlers.

Having said that, i think most northern hunters would say they would love to let bucks get to 7.5 or so, but so few actually can make it that ling due to a number of factors up there.

bigger body weights for harsher winters, equals bigger horns, Also Northern deer hit maturity quicker. Hanson was 3.5/4.5 year old buck, Google a B&C map and its pretty obvious where the big deer come from.

The STX 245lb+ native deer are product of supplemental feeding. Big healthy unstressed deer just live longer. The whole 7.5 -8.5 plus hits max antlers is a straight product of nutrition. But That nutrition level to get a STX buck to 245 is just normal for a Corn belt/midwest deer. Difference is STX have a much less stressful winter

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965093 12/01/23 03:24 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
BOBO i respect ypur opinion, but i disagree that bigger bodies automatically means bigger antlers. The B&C belt is there because of the abundant good soil which creates abundant browse and good ag production coupled with winters that are not overly harsh. Bucks grow bog bodies due to the abundant nutrition, arent severely stressed by nature, and if left to grow older can get big antlers, but if you continue north in the WT deer range, the antler size reduces as the effort to survive outweighs antler expression. Sure you can find some big WT in canada and montana/minnesota/up michigan/maine, but these are not as common as deer dont typically grow old and grow big antlers because so much effort is expended just to stay alive, despite big bodies.

This is getting beyond the OP question. but still good discussion.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965116 12/01/23 04:49 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Good discussion. Appreciate all the thoughts. Hunted hard all day and watched cowboys hard all night. I’ll try to chime in tomorrow but I’ll be hunting hard for a 7yr old buck.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8965117 12/01/23 04:53 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
BOBO i respect ypur opinion, but i disagree that bigger bodies automatically means bigger antlers. The B&C belt is there because of the abundant good soil which creates abundant browse and good ag production coupled with winters that are not overly harsh. Bucks grow bog bodies due to the abundant nutrition, arent severely stressed by nature, and if left to grow older can get big antlers, but if you continue north in the WT deer range, the antler size reduces as the effort to survive outweighs antler expression. Sure you can find some big WT in canada and montana/minnesota/up michigan/maine, but these are not as common as deer dont typically grow old and grow big antlers because so much effort is expended just to stay alive, despite big bodies.

This is getting beyond the OP question. but still good discussion.

its not automatic, still have genetics, sustainable habitat, thermal cover, age etc, but you can argue with record books…. Western front of CO is pretty definitive, Maine VS Florida pretty definitive . Bigger bodies bigger antlers,

[Linked Image]

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965119 12/01/23 04:55 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Good discussion. Appreciate all the thoughts. Hunted hard all day and watched cowboys hard all night. I’ll try to chime in tomorrow but I’ll be hunting hard for a 7yr old buck.

good luck, Slap the horns and stir it up a little

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965141 12/01/23 11:37 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Y’all are going down a bunny trail comparing apples to oranges. There are 16 subspecies of whitetail in North America…
Freerange, keep that in mind when you consider what you want to try.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965171 12/01/23 12:35 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
We feed protein and cottonseed. I have said for years that supplemental feeding is just that. Important in drought years and not so much in good rain years. If we had the irrigation water available we would much prefer food plots.

We also cull does hard in years with good fawn survival and bucks that show no potential. We have water pilas all over the ranch which IMO is huge during drought.

We have seen and tracked bucks that have grown to 10 years old and up that still had great racks. We have had others that dipped at age 6 and then come back strong at 7-8 so of course it varies.

If we are unsure of a buck's age then we pass on it to see what happens the following year.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8965199 12/01/23 01:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Y’all are going down a bunny trail comparing apples to oranges. There are 16 subspecies of whitetail in North America…

of the 16 how many have re-stocking DNA from STX and KS smile

I know bigger bunny trail.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: TexFlip] #8965221 12/01/23 01:54 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by TexFlip
THIS article follows a buck from 1.5 until his natural death at 12.5. Good data.

Interesting progression. I find it odd that the 3 YO and 7YO picture are the same. In every set of pictures except 11 YO the white band goes all around the muzzle behind his nose but on 11 YO it’s only on the sides. I also think without ear tags or obvious body markings it’s really hard to look at a clean spike and identify the next set of antlers.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8965266 12/01/23 02:53 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I’m clueless about most. In my part of texas two sub sets of deer were re-introduced in the 1960’s. One group was from Minnesota. For the most part they were ill adapted to Texas and perished. The other group was from the king ranch and they flourished. There is actually a local landmark that still carries the moniker “buck hill” where the releases occurred. The deer we have where I hunt are genetically south texas deer.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965274 12/01/23 03:04 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Really appreciate the good feedback guys. Hunting hard myself so maybe I’ll address some specific comments later.
For now just keep it coming whether it’s down a rabbit hole or not.
On subspecies, I will say our deer in SC Okla are decent size but not like what I know about some other parts of Okla or Tx panhandle or Kansas. They do often have the reddish tint/accent.
We aren’t super far from Hagerman, so there’s that….,
For this discussion I’m not assuming our deer are real different from NTx deer and our climate is not so different than NTx.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8965280 12/01/23 03:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

I’m clueless about most. In my part of texas two sub sets of deer were re-introduced in the 1960’s. One group was from Minnesota. For the most part they were ill adapted to Texas and perished. The other group was from the king ranch and they flourished. There is actually a local landmark that still carries the moniker “buck hill” where the releases occurred. The deer we have where I hunt are genetically south texas deer.

I read there is only one pure DNA herd left. King.

think I read lufkin area has had a Kansas release also.. The deer I saw many years ago on a charity hunt at Boggy sure had the red’ish Kansas coat

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965294 12/01/23 03:39 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Look at a map of the US cropland, it closely, not perfectly, mirrors the B&C map BOBO posted up.

I still stand by the statement the B&C band is more due to natural browse and ag due to excellent soils than simply big bodies. Otherwise, we would see the B&C map as a increasingly northern thing, but it isn't, it is mostly a midwestern thing. I wish I could enlarge that map BOBO posted, everytime I try on my computer it just makes the text bigger but the pic stays the same size. And I can not find it online in a enlargeable format. I would love to to see some info abot the outliers in northern minnesota and northern maine....Other than those two areas, the B&C band follows the ag crop land almost perfectly, except in areas where winters are harsh.

Anyway, great discussions and the subspecies issue brings a whole lot more to the table. That is where I know my limits and don't try to discuss much.

Attached Files cropland us.png
Last edited by Texas buckeye; 12/01/23 03:44 PM.
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965295 12/01/23 03:40 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
As the crow flies I am less than 30 miles from boggy slough.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8965301 12/01/23 03:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
As the crow flies I am less than 30 miles from boggy slough.

I figured since you were in Timber country. It was a cool place. Interesting history and management. I learned a lot about tree farming in that one week. Fun times

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965308 12/01/23 03:55 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I thought that the bucks in South Texas typically grew their best antlers at age seven while Hill Country bucks at age 6. I think the reason for this is the difference in browse. South Texas is weed country, especially winter and early spring which is tender and easy on their teeth. Unfortunately, we don't grow the tender natural vegetation as well in the Hill Country which causes Hill Country buck's teeth to wear out sooner.
Just my two cents...
Adios,
Gary

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: gary roberson] #8965334 12/01/23 04:34 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by gary roberson
I thought that the bucks in South Texas typically grew their best antlers at age seven while Hill Country bucks at age 6. I think the reason for this is the difference in browse. South Texas is weed country, especially winter and early spring which is tender and easy on their teeth. Unfortunately, we don't grow the tender natural vegetation as well in the Hill Country which causes Hill Country buck's teeth to wear out sooner.
Just my two cents...
Adios,
Gary

Probably some truth to that. Also STx just has more country being managed more intensively for Trophies including more committed supplemental feeding. Most places around the state never see a 7 yr old so they have no idea what growth may be. They also are not willing(or able, depending on situation) to do what it takes to get them to that age.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965349 12/01/23 05:15 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Thanks Hud. Do you have pics of DD before 7yr?

Know the deer but wouldn’t have kept one of just him.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965595 12/01/23 10:32 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Just my two cents...
Adios,
Gary

Probably some truth to that. Also STx just has more country being managed more intensively for Trophies including more committed supplemental feeding. Most places around the state never see a 7 yr old so they have no idea what growth may be. They also are not willing(or able, depending on situation) to do what it takes to get them to that age.

I love hunting south texas but I doubt it would produce anywhere near the number or size body or antler deer it does if it was t intensively managed.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965652 12/01/23 11:48 PM
E
ElkOne Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
71/2 years young up

ElkOne
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965955 12/02/23 02:14 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Yes, it requires patience.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965971 12/02/23 02:44 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
South Texas produces bigger deer and larger antlers because of population density in combination with browse quality.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8965981 12/02/23 02:49 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Cattle typically in great condition if not overgrazed. Used to be a big vegetable growing region. The soil is responsive.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8966262 12/02/23 11:17 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Ok, let’s simplify the question. Everybody should be able to play along now.
HYPOTHETICAL….
-assume 10000 acres of above average natural habitat.
-no supplemental feeding.
-Texas or southern Okla.
-last few years average rainfall.
-160 to 200” deer have been killed on occasion in the past.
-10 bucks are seen this year that score 150 and are all 6 yr old.
QUESTION— if they all live till next year and all conditions stay the same then how many of the 10 get bigger? How many get smaller? How many stay the same?
Looking for 3 numbers, guys.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8966273 12/02/23 11:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
HYPOTHETICAL….
-Texas or southern Okla.
QUESTION— if they all live till next year and all conditions stay the same then how many of the 10 get bigger? How many get smaller? How many stay the same?

10 7.5 deer

20-30% get bigger
20-30% stay same
20-30% shrink
10-30% die

you implement late season supplemental

survival and growth grow

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: redchevy] #8966279 12/02/23 11:59 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by redchevy
Just my two cents...
Adios,
Gary

I love hunting south texas but I doubt it would produce anywhere near the number or size body or antler deer it does if it was t intensively managed.

STX Or Golden triangle is unique in its forage. One of the few place some deer grow in drought years, due to less palatable but higher nutrient option become a daily necessity.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8966323 12/03/23 12:41 AM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
HYPOTHETICAL….
-Texas or southern Okla.

10 7.5 deer

20-30% get bigger
20-30% stay same
20-30% shrink
10-30% die

survival and growth grow

This

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8966431 12/03/23 03:29 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
HYPOTHETICAL….
-Texas or southern Okla.

And
10 7.5 deer

20-30% get bigger
20-30% stay same
20-30% shrink
10-30% die

survival and growth grow

I was wanting to exclude natural mortality but maybe it makes more sense to include it. Obviously there’s a good chance there will be some. If I knew the answer I wouldn’t be asking the questions but I think Bobos numbers make some sense. Hopeful to get others to chime in.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8966432 12/03/23 03:35 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
HYPOTHETICAL….
-Texas or southern Okla.

And
10 7.5 deer

20-30% get bigger
20-30% stay same
20-30% shrink
10-30% die

survival and growth grow

I was wanting to exclude natural mortality but maybe it makes more sense to include it. Obviously there’s a good chance there will be some. If I knew the answer I wouldn’t be asking the questions but I think Bobos numbers make some sense. Hopeful to get others to chime in.

I think you are far enough south that my mortality % is high but I'd rather be surprised then disappointed

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8966437 12/03/23 04:01 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
HYPOTHETICAL….
-Texas or southern Okla.

And
10 7.5 deer

20-30% get bigger
20-30% stay same
20-30% shrink
10-30% die

survival and growth grow

I think you are far enough south that my mortality % is high but I'd rather be surprised then disappointed

Agree on the attitude but wanting numbers from y’all and I’ll factor in the emotions and intangibles:)
We’ve only had 2 or 3 freezes this year. Corn piling up under feeders-lots to eat.
We have an 80 acre wheat field and I just looked at my hunting diary from previous years and we average 60 a sit on that field but this year only a handful. So much natural to eat they aren’t hungry.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8966594 12/03/23 03:43 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
What do you want? A spreadsheet?

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Hudbone] #8966598 12/03/23 03:48 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
What do you want? A spreadsheet?

No, just 3 numbers as best you can estimate….
Each will be between zero and 10.
I think you may have a finance/numbers background so I have faith in you.
Or ask our buddy BW his opinion.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8966831 12/03/23 08:00 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Freerange, the only way you can know the answer is to identify some to let walk and start establishing data points. In time, with enough data points where you are. You can draw some meaningful conclusions. Reality is very few hunters walk that walk. Most likely none of us here have walked it in your location. My advice would be not to go all in from the outset. Pick a few each year to watch and see. There is a finite window. Try to identify the back door of the window you can warehouse the bucks in your area to without giving too much up.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8966847 12/03/23 08:43 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Freerange, the only way you can know the answer is to identify some to let walk and start establishing data points. In time, with enough data points where you are. You can draw some meaningful conclusions. Reality is very few hunters walk that walk. Most likely none of us here have walked it in your location. My advice would be not to go all in from the outset. Pick a few each year to watch and see. There is a finite window. Try to identify the back door of the window you can warehouse the bucks in your area to without giving too much up.

Understand and agree with all that Smokey. Appreciate your time and opinion.
That’s pretty much what my plan is. We have an archive of pics of any “deer of interest”. Not a sophisticated system of tracking but the info is there if we want to go back and look and assess.
I also understand about the walk the walk. We are blessed and I just want to do all I can to maximize instead of waste.
Only 4 of us and we are all patient but no way are we cutting off our nose to spite our face by passing up every 6yr old.
Besides, there is usually enough older deer that some make it through without us trying.
I know what I think we should do in our situation and im prepared to do it. I’m mostly hoping for yalls input to use as fuel to discuss with my other guys. Everyone needs to be on board with all management plans.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8966857 12/03/23 09:03 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
One of our guys took this video at bow range of this buck this morning. I don’t know how post video. He’s the type buck none of us would kill as a Trophy so we have watched him for several years and will continue to. He’s likely 7 or 8 and this is his max rack(so far). It’s not a lot bigger and it’s only a one deer sample size and it was also a good rain year.
At least he didn’t shrink or die
[Linked Image]

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8966918 12/03/23 11:01 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Understand and agree with all that Smokey. Appreciate your time and opinion.
That’s pretty much what my plan is. We have an archive of pics of any “deer of interest”. Not a sophisticated system of tracking but the info is there if we want to go back and look and assess.
I also understand about the walk the walk. We are blessed and I just want to do all I can to maximize instead of waste.
Only 4 of us and we are all patient but no way are we cutting off our nose to spite our face by passing up every 6yr old.
Besides, there is usually enough older deer that some make it through without us trying.
I know what I think we should do in our situation and im prepared to do it. I’m mostly hoping for yalls input to use as fuel to discuss with my other guys. Everyone needs to be on board with all management plans.

Free - just my opinion. You know way more about deer and deer hunting than 99.9% of hunters - you are the most dedicated hunter I have ever known. So my adivice (even though it was not solicited) is for you as the lease manager to lay down the program and rules for the other hunters. Does not have to be hard core but you do not have to prove yourself to them. Just have a meeting and tell them that this is where we are going with the lease. I am guessing they all respect you greatly so do not worry about hurting anyone's feelings - just let them know here is our program going forward and it is what it is - good luck Brother

You can't fix stupid
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8967361 12/04/23 04:24 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Tlk, thanks for the very kind words. I could say all the same about you. We are all pretty like minded and this would not be a big shift so it shouldn’t be a hard sell type thing. Thanks for your input.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8967684 12/04/23 11:13 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I will chime in and basically agree along the lines of what BOBO posted, you are looking at around 30% rule of thumb…

30% will stay about same, 30% will get better, 30% will get worse.

I think the numbers from studies show about that, and also that there is almost zero predictability of who will get bigger vs who will get smaller. The word from the research side is shoot a deer if it gets you excited and don’t worry about next year. Obviously this research is in managed properties with good age structure in place. So if you are getting deer to 5.5+ then the criteria can be shoot away if it fancies you. The ability to say a specific deer will make it thru the winter and grow bigger (in a low fence non-fed situation like we are talking) is so difficult to predict.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 12/04/23 11:13 PM.
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8967750 12/05/23 12:58 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
"is so difficult to predict."

So bottom line is do not fret over all of the details. Doing math on deer is useless IMO. Lf or HF - feed or no feed. Mother Nature ends up being the deciding factor in most cases of which none of us have any control over.

Use common sense and put in the time to do the basic things that have been proven to work - cull mouths to feed (does and cull bucks), be patient, if in doubt of age do not shoot, find quality hunters to hunt with who do not buy into "if it has horns it is down" - feed or don't feed - neither is right or wrong but obviously feeding can improve the herd. Provide deer a water source if at all possible. My 2 cents worth but what do I know??

You can't fix stupid
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8967838 12/05/23 03:57 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Wiser words may have not been spoken tlk…and you live the proof of that wisdom.

The bottom line is, don’t worry about it. If you have enough age, and like the deer, then shoot it.
As tlk said, if worried about the age, then let it walk and hope mother nature does some magic.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8968115 12/05/23 06:24 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Buckeye,
It depends on what kind of deer you’re interested in. If the biggest ones at five or six that do manage to get bigger at 7 are the segment you hunt for, you won’t have any of those walking around if they get shot at five or six. Plain and simple. Where I hunt, natural mortality between age six and seven is well under 10%. The % that get bigger at 7 in my experience, is over 50% of the ones we let go, which are all the high end bucks. Someone else’s mileage may vary depending on the variables in their location. The biggest limitation to maximizing the antlers of free range deer is not feed. It is trigger fingers. Those that pull it off with relative frequency are the ones to pay attention to of that is what you want to accomplish. Those that walk that walk are a relatively small fraternity.

Disturbing or eliminating a reasonable percentage of the climax habitat to promote early successional plant species (forb production) is significantly more impactful than bag protein.

I’m sure all of that probably varies some by geographic location.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8968188 12/05/23 08:20 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Totally understand smokey! And i agree with everything you wrote. 50% is a bog number for growth at 6.5yo but if thays what you have seen then hard to argue it. But that also means a deer that tickles your fancy at 6.5 will be worse half the time (or a little less than half the time) at 7.5….sure it could get bigger but it has a decent chance of getting smaller as compared to a 4.5 yo buck which we almost can guarantee saying it “should” get better the following year.

Trigger finger is the hardest thing to control ultimately. The other stuff is just work (please dont take that to say it is easy work). The willpower to not ahoot a pretty deer in hopes it will get better is really the ONLY thing we can control. Especially as the season goes on and you get that itch to kill something, that willpower can be a tough thing to control.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8968304 12/05/23 10:44 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
"Especially as the season goes on and you get that itch to kill something, that willpower can be a tough thing to control"

Over the many years we have had our lease the few mistakes that were made on a hunter shooting a DNK buck was on the final weekend of the the season. A few guys just could not stand it and therefore ............. they were not back with us the following season. Maybe the greatest management tool of all for whitetail deer hunting is patience and self control.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8968326 12/05/23 10:59 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I am not talking about an entire are class Buckeye. What I am describing is identifying the top genetic subset within each age class that exhibit superior antler growth potential and characteristics. The ones that continue to make jumps annually beyond the age their peers stagnate. It is within that subset that the majority seem to reach their zenith at 7. In other words stacking your odds by only betting on the winners. The more liberal your selection criteria is, the lower your response rate, is the conclusion I have came to where I am. For the remainder of bucks, culling starts at the bottom and begins at age 4. I am also convinced applying that management philosophy across the board would significantly lower your percentage of positive response at 7.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: tlk] #8968333 12/05/23 11:06 PM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by tlk
"Especially as the season goes on and you get that itch to kill something, that willpower can be a tough thing to control"

Over the many years we have had our lease the few mistakes that were made on a hunter shooting a DNK buck was on the final weekend of the the season. A few guys just could not stand it and therefore ............. they were not back with us the following season. Maybe the greatest management tool of all for whitetail deer hunting is patience and self control.

Excluding hunters that are not on board is part of it I had purposely left out of what I had typed. It is a critical piece of the puzzle.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 12/05/23 11:21 PM.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8968437 12/06/23 12:46 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I am not talking about an entire are class Buckeye. What I am describing is identifying the top genetic subset within each age class that exhibit superior antler growth potential and characteristics. The ones that continue to make jumps annually beyond the age their peers stagnate. It is within that subset that the majority seem to reach their zenith at 7. In other words stacking your odds by only betting on the winners. The more liberal your selection criteria is, the lower your response rate, is the conclusion I have came to where I am. For the remainder of bucks, culling starts at the bottom and begins at age 4. I am also convinced applying that management philosophy across the board would significantly lower your percentage of positive response at 7.

Smokey, I don’t understand your last sentence above.
Lot of good comments I haven’t been able to stay caught up on and address specifically.
I will say comments have been made and I agree completely that even considering allowing some bucks to reach the very age that’s max rack is not realistic for most hunters. Many reasons for that. I’m certainly not advocating anyone do it. I’m just soliciting comments about what that age may be for max rack so I can make decisions myself with our situation.
A progression of pics of a deer over years is great to look at for this and I’ve got one coming up for y’all to ponder.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8968488 12/06/23 01:50 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by tlk

Excluding hunters that are not on board is part of it I had purposely left out of what I had typed. It is a critical piece of the puzzle.

Again - in my humble opinion the hunters are the MOST important factor at the end of the day - everybody better be on board with the program or all other efforts become secondary and worthless -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8968498 12/06/23 02:06 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Ok free, numbers are not your thing. Most deer make a jump at 4. After their skeletal frame has reached its full size all the bone they produce can go to their antlers. After that most slow down on bone production and make small incremental gains. Some have the genetics to keep making more bone than their peers. They continue to make substantial antler jumps annually. That is reflected in their headgear. These are the deer we notice and watch. This tendency holds up better over time in the deer with the genetic makeup to do it. Others stagnate and look much the same year to year. They are not the ones that get big. If you carry the ones that don’t get big till 7 it will skew your data to the low side. It is what tlk is referring to with his comment about culling. You have a finite amount of high value browse in every habitat scenario. When it is in low supply all the deer to some degree then transition to second choice, lower value browse. Those big mature bucks are going to consume at least 12 pounds of browse/day. Carrying them all to 7 puts more pressure on the habitat. Consequently all the deer have less high value browse per animal available to them. Understand that in the winter you are not growing much browse. Until spring green up the deer are subsisting on what is warehoused in the available habitat. (This is what they lean on to recover from the rigors of the rut). When the bucks come out of winter in less than optimum condition it impacts all of the antlers. Good genetics and bad genetics alike. It is what STX has stated so many times in the past about removing mouths. To make the most of your bucks you also have to make the most of the available habitat.

I’ve spoke up way more than I usually do in these discussions. I’m about done.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 12/06/23 02:18 AM.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: tlk] #8968499 12/06/23 02:09 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by tlk

Again - in my humble opinion the hunters are the MOST important factor at the end of the day - everybody better be on board with the program or all other efforts become secondary and worthless -

Spot on.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8968510 12/06/23 02:24 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Smokey, I understand everything you are saying and I’m very good at numbers, but I don’t follow how the quoted below sentence fits. It seems the opposite and maybe you mistyped. “Which” “management philosophy” are you referring to that LOWERS your percentage of positive response?
“I am also convinced applying that management philosophy across the board would significantly lower your percentage of positive response at 7.”

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8968513 12/06/23 02:26 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
And, Smokey, I agree you have been involved more on this thread than you usually do and I appreciate it. Take a break if need be. up

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8968517 12/06/23 02:32 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If you let all the bucks live till age 7, you will be disappointed. At times I have a gift for being misunderstood.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8968520 12/06/23 02:37 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Maybe it’s my English and not my Math. Maybe I got it.
Maybe you are saying by allowing TOO MANY older bucks to go through(stockpiling and not culling) that you keep too many mouths which is counter productive. I agree with that but If that’s not your point then I’m back to lost.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8968521 12/06/23 02:38 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Well durn, we typed at same time but it looks like all is well. up
Now both us old guys need to hit the hay.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: TexFlip] #8968869 12/06/23 07:40 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted by TexFlip

That's really cool. And kinda made me sad...

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8970275 12/09/23 03:20 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I’ve got history with this buck for 3 years counting this year. I have both sheds for the first year so I know what he scores then.
Should be interesting for y’all to try to age and score him for each year and relate to this max rack discussion. Did he get better or worse and at what age? I don’t take much from a sample size of one but interesting none the less. Remember, we dont feed protein so that may factor into the body/age look.

2021- 5x5 with couple small kickers(4” total)
[Linked Image]
2022- 5x6 short right side but had the extra typ pt
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2023- 6x5 at some point broke half rg1 and half lg3
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by freerange; 12/09/23 03:22 PM.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8970560 12/10/23 02:31 AM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Looks 4.5-5.5-6.5

I’m trash at field judging score so not gonna try

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8970587 12/10/23 03:56 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I’ve got history with this buck for 3 years counting this year. I have both sheds for the first year so I know what he scores then.
Should be interesting for y’all to try to age and score him for each year and relate to this max rack discussion. Did he get better or worse and at what age? I don’t take much from a sample size of one but interesting none the less. Remember, we dont feed protein so that may factor into the body/age look.

2021- 5x5 with couple small kickers(4” total)
[Linked Image]
2022- 5x6 short right side but had the extra typ pt
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2023- 6x5 at some point broke half rg1 and half lg3
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Free, I'd have ancient history with that guy because he'd be full of a lead diet, lol....

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8971028 12/11/23 03:15 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
First pic looks like a fluffed up 3.5yo but i am guessing the pic is post rut and he is a little older.
So i will go 4.5 in first thru 6.5 this year. I also know the area holds some of those leggy bucks and those can really be deceiving on aging.

Score-wise, he is about a 150 class in first pic, and drops some second year, then this year he picked up more. Not shocking considering last season had sporadic rain in spring that really dropped off in the summer so finishing range condition was not great. This year there was more timely rain to give better nutrition thru the growing season.
He could be better next year if he survives, but he also may drop again. He sure is pretty this year. I dont see him blowing up to be a 200+ buck but i could see him pushing high 70’s to mid 80’s if we have a great spring/summer. That is the big IF. He is a solid mid-high 160’s buck this year (adding in the busted off part), so i could see him being shot this year.

But looking at averages, most 5.5-6.5 yo bucks are not putting on 20-25% more antler (to get bigger than 180’ class), its more like 10-15%. So figure if he is 6.5, then you might be looking at a really pretty 180” buck. If he is already 7.5 (and one could make the argument he is) then you might be looking at a similar 10-15% drop (on average).

This is why ear tags are so helpful for deer management. You know how old a deer is without question and you know by law of averages which deer is likely to get bigger vs smaller and which are the lower quadrant of their age class, etc. Hard to do ear tags where you hunt tho.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8971323 12/11/23 08:16 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Double AC, you need to get into the field scoring game. It’s fun.
TXBuc, Thanks for your comments. For what it’s worth, Im not trying to get them to 180/200 but I’ll take it when it might happen.
DQ, what’s up with you? You have got to be hands down the most prolific poster on age/score threads and you cant give me an estimate….? I figure you must be busy. Maybe with so many pics over 3 years you feel the need to take your time with a good estimate. Cmon man, Im waiting on you…..

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8971418 12/11/23 11:22 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The bigger question is does that buck get bigger next year or does he get smaller?

What are the odds it gets bigger vs smaller and how?

Does a deer like that follow BOBO's rule (I know he didn't come up with it but was the first to post it in this thread) of thirds?
Or does a buck like this have a higher chance of getting bigger?

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 12/11/23 11:22 PM.
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8971440 12/11/23 11:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
6.5 this year 158-162 and I'm being conservative

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8971457 12/12/23 12:13 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I watched a 175 inch LF buck that was 5 years old. Was very tempting to shoot him but I let him walk. The next year (a total drought year) he added 21 inches - I shot him and he qualified for B & C book
The bigger question is does that buck get bigger next year or does he get smaller?

Does a deer like that follow BOBO's rule (I know he didn't come up with it but was the first to post it in this thread) of thirds?

I know this - NOBODY knows what the chances are of a deer getting bigger or going backwards. Too many factors involved. But when in doubt give the deer a pass and hope he grows. A dead deer never grows another inch.

I saw and took video of a 9 point 175 inch buck. We had him at 5 years old so I passed as hard as it was to do. Following year he added 21 inches in a totally drought year. He qualified for B&C and I look at him every day in my home office. I never have regretted passing on him.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by tlk; 12/12/23 12:16 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8971492 12/12/23 01:10 AM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Double AC, you need to get into the field scoring game. It’s fun.

It’s fun and I’m decent enough at it on the deer at our place where a big deer is 140-150, I just haven’t been around enough 140+ deer in person though to be able to accurately scale up to that next size class

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: tlk] #8971563 12/12/23 03:19 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by tlk
I watched a 175 inch LF buck that was 5 years old. Was very tempting to shoot him but I let him walk. The next year (a total drought year) he added 21 inches - I shot him and he qualified for B & C book

I know this - NOBODY knows what the chances are of a deer getting bigger or going backwards. Too many factors involved. But when in doubt give the deer a pass and hope he grows. A dead deer never grows another inch.

I saw and took video of a 9 point 175 inch buck. We had him at 5 years old so I passed as hard as it was to do. Following year he added 21 inches in a totally drought year. He qualified for B&C and I look at him every day in my home office. I never have regretted passing on him.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Beautiful buck and what you said is true, they never grow another inch once shot. It is amazing that deer put on 21” in one drought year, do you have pics of him the year before he was shot? Normal/average growth patterns are 10-15% annually from after 4.5 thru 6.5 yo, so assuming the buck was a 175” buck at 5.5, adding 15% gets you right at 22”, the important thing there is aging him at 5.5. Having three years of history with a buck and seeing the seesaw growth of him the last couple years its hard to say this one (free’s) will grow 20+” but i could see him putting on some NT stuff like yours has or something. The buck FR has shown is a great example of law of averages, decent buck first year who dropped a little then bounced back up.

The bigger question at hand is was your deer fed free choice protein or was this off a non-fed location. We all know feeding protein can mitigate a lot of drought issues. I don’t want to imply anything wrong with feeding, as i do it myself, but in the discussion at hand, we are talking about a non-fed herd subject to just natural browse and some food plot in the winter. So it may be an apples to oranges comparison.

Btw, this is a good discussion, lets keep it going as best we can.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 12/12/23 03:23 AM.
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8971602 12/12/23 12:30 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have a video of him at age 5 and scoring 175 - will try to find it and post. The shed hanging on my mount is what we found when he was the 175 and was his right side. We feed protein free choice so of course that helped with his growth.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8971685 12/12/23 03:11 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
-Bobo, thanks for your score estimate. I hope we can get some others estimates. I’ll give the hint that the first year his sheds score 155(18” spread.)

-TxBuc, thanks for your continued posts and insight.

-tlk, glad you got involved in the thread. You have as much experience letting “mature” bucks walk as anyone I know. Would love to see any examples of more than one year with a mature buck.

Anyone else feel free to post any pics of a mature buck from one year to the next. Keep in mind the thread is about gaining insight into the age a buck may reach his max rack. I know there is no right answer cause there’s too many variables but want to explore some percentages/odds/likely hood or non, etc.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8972876 12/14/23 10:13 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Took a look at all of the bucks we've had on camera the past few seasons that we have pics of with multiple seasons of at maturity. I included their age, typical frame and/or total scoreable tines, and a plus or minus on whether they put on or lost inches, as well as their living status or other relevant notes. I won't include the pictures here for sake of post length. To summarize, the majority of deer put on inches up until 6.5 then it was pretty split whether they added or lost inches at 7.5

Buck 1:
4.5, 7pt
5.5, 8pt, +
6.5, 8pt, +
7.5, No Pics, Assumed Dead

Buck 2:
4.5, 8pt
5.5, 8pt, +, Drought
6.5, 7pt plus 3" G2 kicker, -, Drought, Alive

Buck 3:
4.5, 6pt
5.5, 4pt, +
6.5, 6pt, +
7.5, 7pt, +, Drought
8.5, 6pt, -, Drought, Alive

Buck 4:
4.5, 10pt plus 1" G2 kicker
5.5, 10pt, +
6.5, 10pt, +
7.5, 9pt plus 4" G2 kicker, +
8.5, 9pt, -, Shot

Buck 5:
6.5, 8pt
7.5, 8pt, -
8.5, 8pt, -, Died of natural causes

Buck 6
4.5, 8pt
5.5, No Pics
6.5, 8pt, +
7.5, 8pt, -, Shot

Buck 7:
5.5, 8pt
6.5, 8pt, +
7.5, 8pt, +, Drought, Shot

Buck 8:
4.5, 10pt plus 1" base kicker
5.5, 10pt plus 1" base kicker plus 1" G2 kicker, +
6.5, 10pt, -, Drought
7.5, 10pt, - Drought, Alive

Buck 9:
4.5, 8pt
5.5, 9pt, +
6.5, 9pt, +
7.5, 10pt, -, Drought
8.5, No Pics, Assumed Dead

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8973587 12/16/23 02:21 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Double AC, that is some great info. I really appreciate you taking time to post all that. I hope you will feel free to post pics. I would love to see them. Understand if its too time consuming.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8976251 12/21/23 05:13 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Well, this thread just took a turn to the world of reality for me personally.
This season I have passed good shots on 5 bucks 150 on up that we all felt were 6 and approved to hunt. One was bow killed Friday and way bigger than I thought.
So now I see a brand new buck yesterday and he’s big enough for me. Issue is I’m torn on him being even 6 much less 7. With no history on a buck it is just super hard to age on hoof.
And Bobo you’re over your pm limit.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8976299 12/21/23 07:21 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This season I have passed good shots on 5 bucks 150 on up that we all felt were 6 and approved to hunt. One was bow killed Friday and way bigger than I thought.
So now I see a brand new buck yesterday and he’s big enough for me. Issue is I’m torn on him being even 6 much less 7. With no history on a buck it is just super hard to age on hoof.

I can generally age them within .5-1 yr. which is plenty good enough for me. I get within that and like what I see, I'm shooting, no overthinking things Free.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: DQ Kid] #8976981 12/23/23 03:05 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by DQ Kid

I can generally age them within .5-1 yr. which is plenty good enough for me. I get within that and like what I see, I'm shooting, no overthinking things Free.

DQ, you’re an authority on here on age and score but no estimate with all those pics over 3 years???? Cmon man……

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8976985 12/23/23 03:13 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by DQ Kid

DQ, you’re an authority on here on age and score but no estimate with all those pics over 3 years???? Cmon man……

Free, too much work for me unless I'm the one sighting in on them. Great specimens though Free, all mature and for sure shooters for where I'm currently hunting...I will continue to go with 5.5-6.5 on max deer rack, on avg...

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8982547 01/05/24 04:51 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I hate this thread is fizzling out. Seems a topic worthy of more but likely not enough hunters are used to passing up 6 yr old bucks.
I’ve got a reason to bump the thread cause yesterday I got the first real good pics of the buck I posted with the three year progression of pics. If anyone wants to consider/reconsider age/score go ahead.
One of the guys is trying to hunt him so with some needed luck we may have a score soon. If not then fun to see what he does next year.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by freerange; 01/05/24 04:54 PM.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8982553 01/05/24 05:04 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
He sure is a pretty deer. Solid mass and nice width. I still think 21+' inside, mass will be solid, beam length will be good, and the curve tot he tines will make him score better than he appears.

Nice body for a post rut buck too. I sure do hope the hunter gets some tape on him, I want to see how my score estimate relates to real life....

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8982560 01/05/24 05:19 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
arse has lost a-lot of muscle since 22. Pretty deer

I have 101 down

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8982576 01/05/24 05:44 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Callouses on the knees usually come with jelly in the brisket.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8982656 01/05/24 07:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
has a really cool cape too

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8982697 01/05/24 08:37 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Yes he has a very cool cape.
He also has callouses below the knees at his feet/ankles(the 38th characteristic?). I’m not used to seeing/looking for that.
Bobo we really close on down-I got maybe inch or two more.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8985961 01/11/24 10:10 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
One of guys bow hunts with us this morning killed the buck we’ve been talking about age and score on.
I’ll post pics moro but any more guesses on age score?
Hint-beams close to 25 and about 21 wide. Field dressed 146.
[Linked Image]

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8985974 01/11/24 10:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
i figured him heavier then that.

101 down
46 down

147(150 if brow was still there)

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8986331 01/12/24 03:04 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Field dressed 146# is pretty good for post rut deer, would have put him in the 170-180# field dressed range pre rut and then live weight would be well over 200#

He is gonna push 160 even with the missing brow, not including any extra which it doesn't appear he has much. I will make a stab and say 10' more than BOBO, 157 as is....

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8986384 01/12/24 04:24 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I would guess 7; although I’ve heard that a true 12 point “typical” deer is rare, like 1 in 10,000, and can be 5 to 7 years old. I do see many 10’s and very few 12’s.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8986475 01/12/24 06:54 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8986575 01/12/24 10:20 PM
R
Reata Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
That's a spectacular buck!

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8986657 01/13/24 12:54 AM
F
fishbait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
congrats, a buck of a lifetime !!

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8986719 01/13/24 03:14 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Field dressed 146# is pretty good for post rut deer, would have put him in the 170-180# field dressed range pre rut and then live weight would be well over 200#

He is gonna push 160 even with the missing brow, not including any extra which it doesn't appear he has much. I will make a stab and say 10' more than BOBO, 157 as is....

I missed mass I bet by 5 106-107 down

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8986735 01/13/24 03:44 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Very close on down. Heck of a frame.
Bobo thanks for playing along so much and TxBuc and others as well.
Looks like not too much interest anymore, so I’ll post score moro probably.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8986737 01/13/24 03:51 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Very close on down. Heck of a frame.
Bobo thanks for playing along so much and TxBuc and others as well.
Looks like not too much interest anymore, so I’ll post score moro probably.

Ya he has a stand out frame, will look really good as a pedestal mount

Congrats to hunter.

I did way over weight him, I would of bet money that deer dressed low 60’s , has a long body

My last two bucks from Concho where 148 and 152 dressed, both rutted down.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8986799 01/13/24 12:51 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
145 dressed is in upper end of average for our mature deer(no protein and rutted down).

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8986950 01/13/24 05:10 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
He gross scored 160 and that’s adding back in about 5” where he was broke.
From watching him 3 years we think he was 7 but always hard to tell.
Back to the point of the thread and wondering what age is max rack. It appears his max rack was this year at 7 but we did have good rainfall and it’s just a sample size of one.
[Linked Image]

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8986983 01/13/24 06:42 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Awesome mass from the bottom all the way to the tap. Tines can be fixed but hate to see the G3 gone.
7 is about top for us, it takes a lot of rain at 8... Just doesn't happen that often... no protein.

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8987096 01/13/24 09:55 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
So many variables come into play. We shoot trophies at 6 plus. Biggest racks have come from 7, but it does not always work out. Akin to farming and dice, it’s always a gamble

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Hudbone] #8987098 01/13/24 10:01 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hudbone
So many variables come into play. We shoot trophies at 6 plus. Biggest racks have come from 7, but it does not always work out. Akin to farming and dice, it’s always a gamble

100% agree but fun to speculate around campfire instead of talking politics etc.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8987444 01/14/24 04:47 PM
H
huntingbig8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
FR, I don't think there is any certain answer. You know the ranch I'm hunting some now is incredibly large with no supplemental feeding other than wheat and no "management" per say. 3 or 4 seasons ago I passed a nontypical deer I thought was a mid 60's buck, lots of pics of him over the years with a very unique rack. He was mid 70's as a 4yr old, 140 as a 5yr old, 140 as a 6 yr old and was killed at 7 at 173" oddly enough these were years that the range was excellent. Certainly there are lots of factors in a deers growth but my observation is that the very best bucks are getting killed at 6 or 7 yrs old. The deer past that sure can grow some neat antlers and show some cool traits but those really old bucks seem to top out in the 40's and 50's here, with an occasional deer in the 60's. I realize this is very anecdotal with this 1 deer, but I have seen a lot of this.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8987639 01/14/24 10:15 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
There are some “active” breeders that run so much during the rut during their middle age they lose quite a bit of antler because of it, and then once the spurt of youth ends and they have stopped chasing tail “as much”, they grow bigger antlers from the lower expenditure of rut energy.

There are some deer that are more consistent breeders and they will breed one doe a season and call it a day and they can have more consistent antler growth as the years come along.

Just one of many factors that goes into a buck expressing antlers at any given age….and one we have zero control over, and no real way to predict.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: huntingbig8] #8987960 01/15/24 03:27 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by huntingbig8
FR, I don't think there is any certain answer. You know the ranch I'm hunting some now is incredibly large with no supplemental feeding other than wheat and no "management" per say. 3 or 4 seasons ago I passed a nontypical deer I thought was a mid 60's buck, lots of pics of him over the years with a very unique rack. He was mid 70's as a 4yr old, 140 as a 5yr old, 140 as a 6 yr old and was killed at 7 at 173" oddly enough these were years that the range was excellent. Certainly there are lots of factors in a deers growth but my observation is that the very best bucks are getting killed at 6 or 7 yrs old. The deer past that sure can grow some neat antlers and show some cool traits but those really old bucks seem to top out in the 40's and 50's here, with an occasional deer in the 60's. I realize this is very anecdotal with this 1 deer, but I have seen a lot of this.

Big8, good to see you post. Thanks for the feedback.
I’m not sure which Ranch youre referring to for you. Unless it’s not your primary then I likely know.
Hope all is well.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #8991862 01/22/24 02:07 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
What is your definition of YEARLING? I don't think a 18 month old buck is a yearling and if on my hunting area, he better be more than a spike.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: DLALLDER] #8991897 01/22/24 02:45 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
A yearling is an animal which has had his/her first birthday and not his second. If you have a hard time accepting this, check with Webster's or a good wildlife biologist. Deer which were born in the spring of 2023 are fawns, and will not be yearlings until next year.

year·ling
[ˈyirliNG]
NOUN
an animal (especially a sheep, calf, or foal) that is a year old or that is in its second year.
ADJECTIVE
having lived or existed for a year; a year old:
"a yearling calf"

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: DLALLDER] #8993097 01/24/24 12:04 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
What is your definition of YEARLING? I don't think a 18 month old buck is a yearling and if on my hunting area, he better be more than a spike.

^^^??? I started this thread and cant remember the word yearling being mentioned(could have missed it.) Im assuming you posted this on the wrong thread by mistake. And, I do agree with longhunters reply about it.

Last edited by freerange; 01/24/24 12:05 AM.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #9024647 03/26/24 12:37 AM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Breathing a little life back into this thread cause I got some new first hand info. I just found the other shed to a deer we killed in 2021 so I’ve now scored both sides.
2019..,We have several pics from the first year(2019) we saw him and y’all can be the judge of his age and score. He appears to have some decent age and several on here and myself thought he scored in the 150s easily.
2020….Pics of him in 2020 and I found one of those sheds that year and found the other the other day. The sheds scored 128 5/8.
2021….Live and dead pics from 2021 so judge his age but certain he has good age. He scored 153.

So in 3 years in which most would say he’s “old enough” all 3 years, he lost close to 30” and then gained back about 25”. The year he dropped so much in score was our best horn year to date.
Just a sample size of one but he really put on a lot later in age. No protein for any of the years.
Draw what conclusions you want but it’s interesting stuff to me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #9024847 03/26/24 02:21 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Breathing a little life back into this thread cause I got some new first hand info. I just found the other shed to a deer we killed in 2021 so I’ve now scored both sides.
2019..,We have several pics from the first year(2019) we saw him and y’all can be the judge of his age and score. He appears to have some decent age and several on here and myself thought he scored in the 150s easily.
2020….Pics of him in 2020 and I found one of those sheds that year and found the other the other day. The sheds scored 128 5/8.
2021….Live and dead pics from 2021 so judge his age but certain he has good age. He scored 153.

So in 3 years in which most would say he’s “old enough” all 3 years, he lost close to 30” and then gained back about 25”. The year he dropped so much in score was our best horn year to date.
Just a sample size of one but he really put on a lot later in age. No protein for any of the years.
Draw what conclusions you want but it’s interesting stuff to me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Did you forget to add in an estimated spread to the 2020 sheds? Figure the answer is no, but I'm struggling to see a 30" decline between '19 and '20. Add in a 16" spread to '20 and you are around 145" which feels closer to the eye test to me.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #9024871 03/26/24 03:12 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Double AC, always glad when you chime in on these threads. Your question is fair but I did add in spread. 16" as you said. So, Im certain on the 2020 sheds and he was killed in 2021 so Im certain on that score. I will admit the 2019 is an estimate. The 2019 deer I did a thread about him way back and well respected guys on here mostly had him in the 150s(and higher) but some were mid 140s.
My point posting these scores is the big swing in score REGARDLESS of exact score. So if we just give him about 150 then he goes down close to 22" and then back up about 25" Thats huge swings for a deer thats likely what most would consider "mature", or older, for all those years.

Last edited by freerange; 03/26/24 03:13 PM.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #9024880 03/26/24 03:24 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Double AC, always glad when you chime in on these threads. Your question is fair but I did add in spread. 16" as you said. So, Im certain on the 2020 sheds and he was killed in 2021 so Im certain on that score. I will admit the 2019 is an estimate. The 2019 deer I did a thread about him way back and well respected guys on here mostly had him in the 150s(and higher) but some were mid 140s.
My point posting these scores is the big swing in score REGARDLESS of exact score. So if we just give him about 150 then he goes down close to 22" and then back up about 25" Thats huge swings for a deer thats likely what most would consider "mature", or older, for all those years.

Definitely a big swing in any case. Would love to see the actual score breakdowns for '20 and '21 if those are easily available.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #9024928 03/26/24 05:02 PM
T
TXHunter0619 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Would be curious to see more pics from 2019 free. From the one you posted, his rack doesn't look all that much different from 2020 (his down year). Could it be that rather than a swing, he just saw his highest growth in 2021? Assuming the 2019 estimate was off?

tough times don't last, tough people do
Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Double AC] #9024933 03/26/24 05:11 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double AC

Definitely a big swing in any case. Would love to see the actual score breakdowns for '20 and '21 if those are easily available.

I may try to dig the score sheets out, but from some scribble notes I show roughly +6" NT, +6" mass, +9" tines from 20 to 21.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: TXHunter0619] #9024948 03/26/24 05:29 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by TXHunter0619
Would be curious to see more pics from 2019 free. From the one you posted, his rack doesn't look all that much different from 2020 (his down year). Could it be that rather than a swing, he just saw his highest growth in 2021? Assuming the 2019 estimate was off?

I like 0619, hes a smart guy.
I may dig out more pics but I dont want to confuse the issue. You can forget you saw his headgear from 2019 and just use it to help age him for when he was killed in 21. In the context of this thread, the point Im making is his major growth in his last year. Arguably, the 3 years he was likely 5,6,7 or 6,7,8. So, as a 6 or 7 yr old on our best horn/rain year he then went the next year to +25" on an average horn/rain year.
Just one animal but a great rack at either 7 or 8(possibly older) and with no protein and average rain.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #9024991 03/26/24 06:52 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
INteresting deer. it is possible this guy was only 4.5yo in 2019. His neck line is not all the way down to his brisket and there is a noticeable step in the neck line. His body is big which means he was a solid deer, but the aging aspect may be off some. It is also possible he was a prolific breeder/prolific fighter that year in 2019 and his score suffered from the physical stress of working so hard. Lot of variables.

It is also entirely possible he was 5,6,7 like you said and he just had an off year and then bounced back to the normal for him, regression to the mean if you will. The studies show individuals can bounce around like that and looking at averages across age structure shows the typical increases, not specific individuals

Glad you got numbers on him. did you ever get teeth measured for age from 2021?

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: Texas buckeye] #9025932 03/28/24 04:20 PM
F
freerange Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
INteresting deer. it is possible this guy was only 4.5yo in 2019. His neck line is not all the way down to his brisket and there is a noticeable step in the neck line. His body is big which means he was a solid deer, but the aging aspect may be off some. It is also possible he was a prolific breeder/prolific fighter that year in 2019 and his score suffered from the physical stress of working so hard. Lot of variables.

It is also entirely possible he was 5,6,7 like you said and he just had an off year and then bounced back to the normal for him, regression to the mean if you will. The studies show individuals can bounce around like that and looking at averages across age structure shows the typical increases, not specific individuals

Glad you got numbers on him. did you ever get teeth measured for age from 2021?

Txbuck, yes, its possible he was only 4 the first year. I did an age/score thread on him back in 2019 and most thought older.
And, certainly there are lots of variables that could have driven his score down the second year but looking at all the facts it points to an older deer(his last) putting on a lot.
I hate to mention any lab results cause I have lost a lot of faith in the reliability of that as well as tooth wear. Remember we have 3 years of pics and sightings with this deer. I saw him in person many many times each year. I feel if you look at all the pics(and in person sightings) and then look at the teeth and lab and moosh all that together, you get a good picture of his age. I know the deer like the back of my hand and I feel he was 7 or 8 when killed.

Another side note to be taken away from his history is HOW he added it on the last year. He added 6" of mass from 2020 to 21. He also added a typical point and was trying to get another along with adding two nice kickers. This later in life addition of mass and extra points is what many knowledgeable deer guys will tell you "often" happens. Who doesnt like mass and more points??

Our group already let Trophy bucks get to 6 and likely wont change. We are in a great situation where we usually have enough bucks to chose from that we can let some get to 7 or 8 and watch what happens. This buck is a classic example of what MIGHT happen if you let a buck get past 6. No way is this normal or average but when you Trophy hunt you arent looking at the average deer as much as the outlier.
When this buck was at least 6(my estimate) he only scored 128.5 as an 8 pt. That same year the 4 of us killed 4 bucks averaging 168. Considering that, who wouldnt of killed him as a management buck??? I cant explain the drop in that middle year but Im glad we didnt "cull" him.

Last edited by freerange; 03/28/24 04:23 PM.

Re: Max rack… Deer age for max antler growth..? [Re: freerange] #9025961 03/28/24 05:23 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Free, I get ya on the tooth thing. I have killed bucks on my place that I would swear were 5+ and tooth wear shows them in the 3yo range. I think range conditions and what-not make a bigger difference on the wear of teeth than anything, and good range conditions make tooth wear less. Also, in Southern OK (where your deer came from) hard stress winters are not the norm, so annular tooth patterns for aging are no where near as precise as in northern areas. So I get ya.

I agree, that buck did look at least 5, in the first pics. I trust you and your guys to have enough knowledge and experience to age a deer through many experiences with them in the field, the pics are a single glimpse that is shot when your time in the field is a whole experience.

I have too seen many a deer pack in the mass and "extras" as they age, and I love that. Some do not, but a lot do. In our neck of the woods, there seems to be a preponderance of bucks that do.

Again, lots of factors that play into a single bucks year to year score. That is why sample size is so important in studying this aspect. Larger sample size says the max rack at age 6-7. But, individually, bucks will vary from year to year and while one may drop another jumps and it goes on....year after year and we beat ourselves up over the constant nag of "will he be better next year?"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide