Print Thread
Fix it? #8958473 11/20/23 02:13 PM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Previous thread and my current circumstances beg the question. Target deer you have had your sights set on since before season. Opportunity arises and the deer has broken up a bit, do you shoot and have the taxidermist fix it? Does it matter how broke or how big the deer is?

What are everyone’s thoughts?

Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8958477 11/20/23 02:16 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Missing a piece or part of one point, I'm likely still letting lead fly, more than that, I'm looking for something else...

Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8958488 11/20/23 02:41 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Similar line of thought to DQ. If it’s 4” of antler or less it’s easy for the taxi and pretty hard to distinguish when looking at the mount.

Up until a few years ago we used to have a condition that if a deer was 7.5 or older then we would shoot even with major damage as that is the natural point where we see a lot of mortality on our ranch. However, we’ve since shifted to letting them walk as we’ve allowed enough mature deer to age where we can shift focus to other targets and still are likely to have success and the payoff of seeing a super old familiar face next year beats killing him broken this year.

Example of minor damage:

[Linked Image]

Example of major damage that we used to take if 7.5 plus but now let walk:

[Linked Image]

Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8958551 11/20/23 04:06 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I let the big ones walk if they bust something off. I’d rather someone tag the deer the following year with the rack intact than pay a taxidermist to turn it into a replica that is something more than it actually was when tagged.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8958579 11/20/23 04:48 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
If he's big, I'm not going to pass if he has broke a tine. I let the taxi fix it. He grew it, I can fix it. I have several on the wall that had broken brows and had the fixed.

Last edited by Stompy; 11/20/23 04:49 PM.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8958660 11/20/23 06:45 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I hate to see and kill a deer that’s broke. However, I have no problem getting them fixed if it’s easily doable. Everyone can be different on this but generally to me the mount is a display of the animal and what he was. If he grew it then I want to remember and honor him in that condition. Obituaries dont usually show pics of a bedridden and dying old person.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8958753 11/20/23 09:04 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Had a busted up big bodied buck sitting in the field tending a doe and got within 45 yards, coulda put an arrow thru him if he was whole. His left side was busted up really bad. Dodnt think the taxi could make it work as much damage as he had.

Had he been whole i would have made a much stealthier stalk up to him rather than just walking up to them….

Attached Files IMG_8891.jpeg
Last edited by Texas buckeye; 11/20/23 09:04 PM.
Re: Fix it? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8958756 11/20/23 09:09 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Had a busted up big bodied buck sitting in the field tending a doe and got within 45 yards, coulda put an arrow thru him if he was whole. His left side was busted up really bad. Dodnt think the taxi could make it work as much damage as he had.

Had he been whole i would have made a much stealthier stalk up to him rather than just walking up to them….

yeah and you never would've gotten that close

Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8958763 11/20/23 09:18 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Leonardo
Previous thread and my current circumstances beg the question. Target deer you have had your sights set on since before season. Opportunity arises and the deer has broken up a bit, do you shoot and have the taxidermist fix it? Does it matter how broke or how big the deer is?

What are everyone’s thoughts?

Of course everyone's different but I kinda like leaving them the way they are. I passed my trophy buck last year when he was whole, only to shoot him later when he was broke off. bang roflmao

Re: Fix it? [Re: Hudbone] #8958835 11/20/23 11:04 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

yeah and you never would've gotten that close

I drove up to within 45 yards confirmed by rangefinder. And walked up to 25 yards to her. If i wanted to be more stealthy i could have crawled thru the tall grass and he wouldn’t have known any better. As it was it was just a “lets see how this goes”. If i really wanted him, i might have made it happen. Lots of ways to get there other than just walking in like i did.

Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8958920 11/21/23 01:02 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Deer notice it when your “posture” changes. They know the look.

Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8958946 11/21/23 01:26 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I never have and never will understand “fixing” broken antlers. I mount it the way it was when I shot it. How else makes sense? It’s like falling in love with a woman and spending a bunch of money in plastic surgery to make her something she never was, or something younger. Oh, you don’t like what she really is, suddenly, so you’re going to buy your way into something you couldn’t achieve, otherwise. While you’re “fixing” those antlers, why not add a few inches? Same concept, right? Fake is fake. Go for broke! At least that mount won’t leave you for another man when its antlers are “fixed.”

Re: Fix it? [Re: Sneaky] #8958952 11/21/23 01:30 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Sneaky
I never have and never will understand “fixing” broken antlers. I mount it the way it was when I shot it. How else makes sense? It’s like falling in love with a woman and spending a bunch of money in plastic surgery to make her something she never was, or something younger. Oh, you don’t like what she really is, suddenly, so you’re going to buy your way into something you couldn’t achieve, otherwise. While you’re “fixing” those antlers, why not add a few inches? Same concept, right? Fake is fake. Go for broke! At least that mount won’t leave you for another man when its antlers are “fixed.”

We do tend to think alike amigo, I agree.

Re: Fix it? [Re: skinnerback] #8959008 11/21/23 02:13 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by Sneaky

We do tend to think alike amigo, I agree.

Because you’re real. You’re genuine. Most people around here know that. That’s what I don’t understand about fake antlers and fake tits, in this place.

Real is real. Anything else is fake. Might sound dumb to the silicone and Apoxie Sculpt crowd, but really what else is there? If you’re going to fake it, why not fake it all the way? If you can fake a busted off 7” of antler, then why not fake another 10” of antler that never was? People are just so fake. I don’t get it. This shouldn’t even be a discussion. You killed what you killed. Leave it at that.

Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8959117 11/21/23 04:41 AM
L
Leonardo Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Interesting to see the different opinions, I passed on what would have been my biggest deer to date. Showed up missing about ten inches of G3 on his right side. Picture two days before he was intact. Hopefully I will have a chance at him next year.

Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8959127 11/21/23 05:11 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Leonardo
Interesting to see the different opinions, I passed on what would have been my biggest deer to date. Showed up missing about ten inches of G3 on his right side. Picture two days before he was intact. Hopefully I will have a chance at him next year.

I have an older Cousin that consistently kills bigger deer than I ever have and he gives two [censored] about the horns, he'll never get one mounted. Age & score means nothing, all about the memories & meat/cooking. If he don't cut the antlers up for something he'll just stick that big azz deer's head on a steel fence post out back and not care about it. They don't shoot does on their place, bucks only, and man they shoot some good ones. I've killed a lot of deer in my life but no "big ones" to really brag about. He kills bigger deer than me and don't care about the trophy one damn bit. roflmao

Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8959202 11/21/23 12:43 PM
B
Bob Roach Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I had one come by Saturday evening with one side missing. I would have probably put him in the freezer, but I never had a shot that I was happy with. I did get to watch him for several minutes. He ran across a hay field to a ground scrape, and examined it for a few minutes before moving on.
My neighbor saw him again Monday.
My brother decided to change Tower Stands Sunday afternoon. While he was at the tower stand on the North East corner of the property, a buck made a ground scrape about 75 yards from his regular stand on the South East corner. Today is the last day of the Missouri Regular Firearms season. I have to work about three hours this morning to cover a doctors appointment. After I get home from work, I plan to spend the rest of the day in the South East Stand and see if I can see who made the scrape. I am betting on the buck with one antler broken off.

This has been one unusual deer season. I have not seen a single Tree Rub so far. Bucks are just now, "Last Week End" starting to make Ground Scrapes. We are seeing does everywhere, but bucks have been scarce.

Bob R

See You at the Range
Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8959521 11/21/23 10:17 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Wow. Comparing plastic surgery to change a person “FROM their original condition” to fixing antlers so they go “BACK TO” their original condition. Complete opposites!!
That’s got to be the most backward comparison I’ve ever heard.
No problem whatsoever when someone doesn’t want to return a buck to his original rack that he grew in all its glory.
If someone had a wreck and lost a limb I guess you would call it fake or not genuine if they wanted to replace it.
I can’t even believe I took time to point these obvious things out.
Fix or don’t fix but fixing isn’t changing what the buck grew.
I can’t even stop-is it fake to fix a fender bender on a car?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Fix it? [Re: freerange] #8959524 11/21/23 10:31 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by freerange
Wow. Comparing plastic surgery to change a person “FROM their original condition” to fixing antlers so they go “BACK TO” their original condition. Complete opposites!!
No problem whatsoever when someone doesn’t want to return a buck to his original rack that he grew in all its glory.
If someone had a wreck and lost a limb I guess you would call it fake or not genuine if they wanted to replace it.

up

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Fix it? [Re: freerange] #8959550 11/21/23 11:12 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by freerange

Well, isn’t the discussion is about trophy racks?

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8959563 11/21/23 11:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
My old man found a way to shoot off 4 tines. I got them fixed for him. He was happy, and I realized he was no longer allow to use his sporterized 1903 and hunt by him self. I thought he was in a battle with the cartel.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8959592 11/22/23 12:38 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I shoot a deer as part of the experience of the hunt and not to impress anyone else so I prefer to keep it exactly the condition it was in when I pulled the trigger. That’s just me so I won’t judge anyone else for what they do.

Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8959633 11/22/23 01:30 AM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Q
I would leave it as it is when it hits the ground. I am more in favor of the natural state. Deer live rough lives and they get banged up and that is part of their appeal for me.

This is a pretty good 8 pt from PA I shot when hunting with an old Navy buddy. For that area and at that time, this was considered a very good buck. He was a fighter and had a couple of points busted off.
[Linked Image]

In memory of a good hunt with a good friend I had the buck mounted as it was. I have never regretted that decision. When I look at that mount I see the deer that I killed and not a repair job. But to each his/her own.
[Linked Image]

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Fix it? [Re: Leonardo] #8959635 11/22/23 01:32 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I guess I don’t have a firm opinion on one side or the other. Only have one shoulder mount, may never get another, just not where it’s at for me. The mount I do have is the biggest buck I have shot. I shot him with 3 broken tines. Doesn’t bother me at all.

Last edited by redchevy; 11/22/23 01:35 AM.

It's hell eatin em live
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide