Forums46
Topics538,648
Posts9,739,520
Members87,100
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8956435 11/16/23 04:10 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by DJ22
Thanks for bringing this thread back. I saw the “high and tight” thread, and kinda high jacked the gentleman’s post of a good deer to harvest.
I’ll post this again: everyone I showed this rack photo to could not guess even within 2 inches of my deer’s spread measurement. This deer was barely legal; yet he was 5 1/2 years old upon teeth inspection (exactly what I thought before I harvested him) and, the new Parker County record. I find most people can guess the age with a year. Measurements? No way in Hell are the majority of Hunters able to determine spread easier that age. This management practice is faulty. Most unbranched are very young; but, some genius thought best to let a 9 year olds walk and shoot the young ones. Gene management is not rocket science. You better know what you doing in these restricted areas. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I heartily disagree. MOST hunters can't age a deer at all, or even really give it any thought. Just look at the seasoned hunters on here, who actually give a darn, trying to age some of the pics that are posted. You'll get ranges from 2.5 to 6.5 on some. MOST hunters should be able to look at a buck's head, wait for him to look at you, and tell if the antlers are ear-wide or not. If they can't, then they either need much better optics or they don't need to be hunting at all.

You said it yourself; ear wide is the only management indicator of this AR. That’s an incompetent, lazy, and lame concept. Threads on here show 3/4 of the people are able to guess age within a year or two (give or take). Did you guess my rack here was 15 inches? Surprised even me when I put a tape on it. And, he was 30 yards away. How many 4-10 year olds get to walk by this rule? How many get thrown away, and another deer gets harvest in it place?
Again, my opinion is ARs are good with exceptions.

Last edited by DJ22; 11/16/23 04:22 PM. Reason: Added
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: DJ22] #8956438 11/16/23 04:21 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Thanks for bringing this thread back. I saw the “high and tight” thread, and kinda high jacked the gentleman’s post of a good deer to harvest.
I’ll post this again: everyone I showed this rack photo to could not guess even within 2 inches of my deer’s spread measurement. This deer was barely legal; yet he was 5 1/2 years old upon teeth inspection (exactly what I thought before I harvested him) and, the new Parker County record. I find most people can guess the age with a year. Measurements? No way in Hell are the majority of Hunters able to determine spread easier that age. This management practice is faulty. Most unbranched are very young; but, some genius thought best to let a 9 year olds walk and shoot the young ones. Gene management is not rocket science. You better know what you doing in these restricted areas. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I heartily disagree. MOST hunters can't age a deer at all, or even really give it any thought. Just look at the seasoned hunters on here, who actually give a darn, trying to age some of the pics that are posted. You'll get ranges from 2.5 to 6.5 on some. MOST hunters should be able to look at a buck's head, wait for him to look at you, and tell if the antlers are ear-wide or not. If they can't, then they either need much better optics or they don't need to be hunting at all.

You said it yourself; ear wide is the only management indicator of this AR. That’s an incompetent, lazy, and lame concept. Threads on here show 3/4 of the people are able to guess age within a year or two (give or take). Did you guess my rack here was 15 inches? Surprised even me when I put a tape on it. And, he was 30 yards away.

Trying to guess spread off a skull with minimal other context is much more difficult than trying to guess of a full animal with ears out.

I don’t think anyone agrees that spread is the perfect end all be all metric but it absolutely works to move animals into an older age class. Asking for an age as the AR metric will be especially difficult as an adult deer may be 250lbs in north texas to 100lbs in the hill country to 250lbs again in south texas. Those animals age characteristics will vary widely but a simple question of “is it wider than the ears” is a fits all concept that most agree can be easily followed. For those of us that wish for a more precise or more personal metric on our properties, we have that option through MLD

Last edited by Double AC; 11/16/23 04:22 PM.
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: DJ22] #8956444 11/16/23 04:27 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
[Linked Image]

You said it yourself; ear wide is the only management indicator of this AR. That’s an incompetent, lazy, and lame concept. Threads on here show 3/4 of the people are able to guess age within a year or two (give or take). Did you guess my rack here was 15 inches? Surprised even me when I put a tape on it. And, he was 30 yards away. How many 4-10 year olds get to walk by this rule? How many get thrown away, and another deer gets harvest in it place?
Again, my opinion is ARs are good with exceptions.

If AR’s didn’t exist, what are the odds that deer would have grown to maturity, let alone a record size for the county? Better than 50%?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Augustus1994] #8956447 11/16/23 04:32 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
How about mule deer ARs? Forked horn or better. Yet, a fork/spike is legal. That’s lame. That’s a young deer. Not an antler deformation either. He’ll become a 3 X 2, or a 5 X 4, ect. How many fork/spikes are over 3? Probably less than 20 in all of North America. Just note we are in agreement; exceptions would make it even better

Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Augustus1994] #8956449 11/16/23 04:39 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I don’t know but you sure like to post that photo around lol

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: redchevy] #8956453 11/16/23 04:50 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted by redchevy
I don’t know but you sure like to post that photo around lol

It gives a good visual of this AR subject. Get used to it, I’ll be bragging on him until next season when I get his big 10 buddy. No doubt he’s wide enough.

[Linked Image]

Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Augustus1994] #8956505 11/16/23 06:34 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I don’t think the visual is so good but it’s good for you ego I guess.

Congrats, but bringing it up anywhere you can is telling lol.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: redchevy] #8956544 11/16/23 08:15 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D

Thank you Sir. Your hospitality is telling as well. Bless your heart.

Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: DJ22] #8956546 11/16/23 08:28 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B

Thank you Sir. Your hospitality is telling as well. Bless your heart.

Is that like the Jeff Foxworthy version???grin

Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Augustus1994] #8956547 11/16/23 08:30 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Kind of a pointless thread. TP&W biologists know the improvement of the deer maturity in AR counties and it’s not going away.

Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Augustus1994] #8956607 11/16/23 10:14 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Guy kills a buck that is a product of antler restrictions then complains on a forum about antler restrictions

Go figure….

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Augustus1994] #8956623 11/16/23 10:29 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I like AR. I remember the days of “ It’s a buck. Shoot!”.

The only issue I see is that bucks that will never get a wide enough spread will continue to age and will still be spreading their genes.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Dave Davidson] #8956628 11/16/23 10:40 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I like AR. I remember the days of “ It’s a buck. Shoot!”.

The only issue I see is that bucks that will never get a wide enough spread will continue to age and will still be spreading their genes.

Nothing is perfect is the way I see it. It’s the best way to get bucks to maturity. It’s impossible for most hunters to age a buck on the hoof so at least AR’s provide some level of assistance with it.

Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Augustus1994] #8956632 11/16/23 10:44 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I’ve hunted under AR restrictions all of my life. Every deer I’ve harvested. I never seen days like that in my lifetime. As I’ve indicated, ARs can be greatly improved. Just having a conversation here.

Check out these guys with over 30,000 post being so judgmental. One would think; with that many posts, they should be able to read.

Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Augustus1994] #8956755 11/17/23 02:52 AM
45NUTT Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
No one "harvests" a deer. You harvest crops & kill animals.

Plus I was mistaken that civil discourse could in fact occur on the internet. Please be happy with this sad version of AR , when a better way to do it exists.

To the few, thanks for the civil discourse.

Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Augustus1994] #8956763 11/17/23 03:06 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
DJ, 45, or anyone else that thinks they have the answer please spell it out for us. Lots of people have tried to figure out the best way and this is what they came up with. It’s not perfect but it appears to be the best way.
If your idea is to use an age cutoff then that appears to me to be ridiculous. The problem is not with the difficulty of aging on the hoof(although very difficult) but it’s the lack of enforceability. Game Warden pulls you over and says, hey that deer looks underage. The hunter just says, I thought it was old enough. With ARs the GW only needs a tape measure. Surely y’all can understand that……
Another layer to it is that the hunters that the ARs is written for do not WANT to age properly cause they just want to kill anything with horns. The counties that are known to have management minded hunters dont have ARs cause those guys wouldn’t dream of killing a real young deer.
So, let’s hear the new rules that will keep hunters from killing yearling bucks.

Last edited by freerange; 11/17/23 03:09 AM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: freerange] #8956773 11/17/23 03:29 AM
45NUTT Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Mandatory number of points, either on one side or in total. 4 points on one side or 8 total, that way it's not subjective. Plenty of other states do this and it seems to work from PA to the west coast.

When the rule change went into effect I talked to a number of wardens who didn't like it because of how hard it is for us to judge width of a rack looking through shaking binoculars.

But if this idea seems too utilitarian or too simple to implement by all means ignore what I've said and continue on your merry way.

Originally Posted by freerange

So, let’s hear the new rules that will keep hunters from killing yearling bucks.

Actually there aren't any. The state still provides a spike buck as a legal buck and typically, although not 100% of the time, those are yearling bucks. Spikes would have to outlawed to protect yearlings. Also, a button buck is still tagged as antlerless correct? We'll have to outlaw killing does to protect the yearling button bucks. So, you get to kill one buck 13" or greater and nothing else.

EDIT: Not everyone is on a super sweet lease with massive 8 to 14 point bucks lollygagging around the place. Some of us hunt in marginal or poor deer habitat and may only see a few bucks in the season with gun in hand. I have killed a lot of deer in my life and I don't mind the AR as it does seem to be improving the herd. My gripe is the chosen methodology. AR isn't flawed, but I think the 13" system is. My OPINION and no one has to like or agree with it. But don't put people down like an internet bully if you disagree. Agree to disagree can be done nicely too.

Last edited by 45NUTT; 11/17/23 03:37 AM.
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: 45NUTT] #8956789 11/17/23 04:15 AM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 45NUTT
Mandatory number of points, either on one side or in total. 4 points on one side or 8 total, that way it's not subjective. Plenty of other states do this and it seems to work from PA to the west coast.

When the rule change went into effect I talked to a number of wardens who didn't like it because of how hard it is for us to judge width of a rack looking through shaking binoculars.

But if this idea seems too utilitarian or too simple to implement by all means ignore what I've said and continue on your merry way.

Actually there aren't any. The state still provides a spike buck as a legal buck and typically, although not 100% of the time, those are yearling bucks. Spikes would have to outlawed to protect yearlings. Also, a button buck is still tagged as antlerless correct? We'll have to outlaw killing does to protect the yearling button bucks. So, you get to kill one buck 13" or greater and nothing else.

EDIT: Not everyone is on a super sweet lease with massive 8 to 14 point bucks lollygagging around the place. Some of us hunt in marginal or poor deer habitat and may only see a few bucks in the season with gun in hand. I have killed a lot of deer in my life and I don't mind the AR as it does seem to be improving the herd. My gripe is the chosen methodology. AR isn't flawed, but I think the 13" system is. My OPINION and no one has to like or agree with it. But don't put people down like an internet bully if you disagree. Agree to disagree can be done nicely too.

The issue with the points method you described is it opens up the top quality of the age class earlier in their lives than under the spread scenario.

The deer where I hunt are very typical of herds across the state, the average 5.5+ year old buck is going to be between 110”-130”. Based on the points criteria you listed, 14 out of the 28 bucks we’ve observed that are either 1.5 or 2.5 would be legal deer. Under the current spread/Unbranched criteria there are only 6 legal deer. Four of those are spikes and the other two are the two best deer in the 2.5YO class whose spread is probably right at 13” and too close to call for an ethical hunter in an AR county.

In TPWD eyes, the latter scenario is absolutely more favorable given their objective of increasing deer age across the state. Every single criteria system will have a flaw, but as it stands I have yet to see or hear a different criteria implemented that allows more young animals to advance to the next age class and is still easily followed by the average hunter.

Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Augustus1994] #8956803 11/17/23 04:52 AM
45NUTT Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Thank you Double AC! I still think the average hunter that spends minimal time in the field finds the 13" rule not so easy to follow, or rather to judge in the field. A well reasoned & civil response Sir.

Last edited by 45NUTT; 11/17/23 04:53 AM.
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: DJ22] #8956831 11/17/23 10:56 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
How about mule deer ARs? Forked horn or better. Yet, a fork/spike is legal. That’s lame. That’s a young deer. Not an antler deformation either. He’ll become a 3 X 2, or a 5 X 4, ect. How many fork/spikes are over 3? Probably less than 20 in all of North America. Just note we are in agreement; exceptions would make it even better

Not accurate. Spikes/forks are not legal unless 20" outside spread. In the panhandle, mule deer ARs have absolutely made a difference, and almost immediately at that.

Panhandle

Antler Restrictions: A legal buck deer is defined as a buck with an outside spread 20 inches or greater. Any buck for which the outside spread of the main beams is less than 20 inches is NOT legal to harvest. Any buck with at least one unbranched antler (e.g., spike) is NOT legal to harvest, unless the outside spread of the main beams is at least 20 inches in width.

[Linked Image]
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: 45NUTT] #8956848 11/17/23 12:18 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by 45NUTT

4pts will still be subjective, 45. I’ll post a pic I have of a 2.5 yr old 7pt. He’s under 13”, so safe under the current rule. His only browtine, which gives him a 4th point, is between 3/4” and 1”. If it’s under 1”, he’s not legal. So which is harder to judge, the length of that one point with nothing to really compare it against, or whether his spread is wider than his ears?

Neither is a perfect method, and the post above about the top of the age class gives a good example.

Edit to add the photo:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by QuitShootinYoungBucks; 11/17/23 01:56 PM.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8956902 11/17/23 02:01 PM
45NUTT Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Thanks QuitShootin!

Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Augustus1994] #8956908 11/17/23 02:08 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
45 nut, waiting to kill bucks till they have a 13” spread does not make you a trophy hunter. It does add a 3 1/2 year old age class to the buck population. 3 1/2 year old bucks are not harvested by trophy hunters. Increasing the overall buck population by 25-30 percent does move some bucks closer to maturity. It also significantly alters the buck doe ratio in herds where buck populations were traditionally hammered and the ratio is way out of kilter. It is not perfect but rather a middle ground approach.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: kry226] #8956916 11/17/23 02:21 PM
D
DJ22 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted by kry226

Not accurate. Spikes/forks are not legal unless 20" outside spread. In the panhandle, mule deer ARs have absolutely made a difference, and almost immediately at that.

Panhandle

Antler Restrictions: A legal buck deer is defined as a buck with an outside spread 20 inches or greater. Any buck for which the outside spread of the main beams is less than 20 inches is NOT legal to harvest. Any buck with at least one unbranched antler (e.g., spike) is NOT legal to harvest, unless the outside spread of the main beams is at least 20 inches in width.

There are no spread restrictions where I hunt mule deer. I don’t hunt mule deer in this State. My error for not specifying.

As for as my opinion on the 13” AR in Texas…

Implementation of exceptions as follows:

(1) All 10 points or greater legal
(2) All 6 points or less must comply the spread rule.
(3) All others (meaning 7-9 points) must have two tines of ‘X’ inches or greater

That’s my final opinion of this subject. I won’t be posting anymore trophy photos or expressing my opinion.

Happy Hunting!

Re: Antler Restrictions Change [Re: Augustus1994] #8956924 11/17/23 02:32 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
The best fix for AR’s is responsible stewards of the land. Which isn’t gonna happen big picture.

It's hell eatin em live
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide