Print Thread
Christensen Arms, 28 Nosler rifles #8952859 11/10/23 05:45 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Over the many years of loading 28 Nosler ammo, I've had the most problems with ONE brand of rifle, you guessed it, Christensen Arms!

I have a local shooter having some chambering and accuracy issues (with factory ammo) with a 28 Nosler Christensen Arms Ridgeline (carbon fiber) rifle. So, I ask him to bring it to me so I can take some measurements of the chamber and throat. Right away I chamber an empty piece of new ADG brass and I can tell there is some resistance when I close the bolt. Next, I move on to the bullet seating to seat the bullet to his rifles' throat. Immediately I can tell it's a very short throat. I keep seating bullets deeper and deeper, and finally find where a 180 VLD is just barely touching the rifling. It's at .150" shorter!!! That's one hundred and fifty thousandths shorter than a standard SAAMI 28 Nosler chamber! (see picture below). In the world of gunsmithing, .150" might as well be a mile long on the throat length.

The other main difference is Christensen Arms runs a dual ejector plunger on the bolt face. Instead of one ejector plunger found on almost all bolt guns, they run two. Having 2, means there is less surface area on the bolt face, and increases the pressure on the bolt face during firing.

While I'm loading his ammo, I get Christensen Arms on the phone. I speak to a really nice guy at Christensen Arms and asked him all these questions. He confirms that Christensen Arms uses a "match" chamber for all their carbon fiber rifles. I asked him why. He says it's for their 1 moa "accuracy guarantee" (which I then had a hard chuckle, see back story below). I inform him about the chambering and short throat issues, and he says that's just how they chamber their rifles. bang bang bang bang bang

Why is this important? Running a "match" or tight chamber does several things. When head spacing (chambering) the round, it is .007" shorter than SAAMI spec. The difference between min and max head space is .007" on the 28 Nolser. So they run the shoulder of the round is .007" shorter than SAAMI, which is as small as you can go. This is why some brass chambers tight. The next thing is the .150" shorter throat. Having a shorter throat requires seating the bullet much deeper to get it off the lands, or so it won't jam into the rifling. Next is PRESSURE!!!! This combination of shorter throat and min spec chamber raises your pressure dramatically. Let's say you put 80 grains of powder with a 180 grain bullet seated at normal SAAMI length. When you try to chamber this round, the bullet will jam into the rifling (raising pressure). And the powder charge is based off of a regular chamber. So when you fire this round, you will get excessive pressure or a hot load. To load the ammo for these rifles, you have to seat the bullet deeper AND reduce the load to avoid excessive pressure. All the while you are reducing the velocity of a magnum round. And, if you shoot this rifle suppressed, you will increase the bolt pressure even more. So in combination of short throat, min spec chamber, and if you shoot suppressed, you have a triple whammy of major pressure problems!

A little back story. Over the many years of testing rifles and doing load development, I shoot many good rifles, and see many problem rifles. One was a very expensive Christensen Arms 338 Lapua Mag. My customer had spent a total of $8K on rifle, scope, and full set up. It was an expensive rifle that wouldn't shoot. Every group we shot strung the group diagonally from about 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock in a straight line. We sent it back to Christensen Arms, and then we got the rifle back. They included an electronic target that shot a .98" group. And you guessed it, the group strung diagonally exactly like what I was seeing. I tested it again with no improvement in groups. I ended up speaking to an executive and the tech who shot the rifle. They ended up shooting 30+ rounds of ammo, 3 different ammo brands, and finally waited 5-10 minutes between shots to get their 3 shot, .98" group and 1 moa "Accuracy guarantee". I was livid! And they wouldn't fix it.

Anyways, that's my 2cents

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Christensen Arms, 28 Nosler rifles [Re: ChadTRG42] #8952921 11/10/23 07:41 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
We've known they don't have the best engineers on staff since they put the double ejectors on. I helped load dev on one that would push a 195 very accurately but only at 2850fps without needing a hammer to open the bolt. Why would someone buy a top fuel dragster and run it at prostock speeds? That was the last Christensen rifle I ever recommended anyone buying.

That sure makes guys like you have issues trying to make rifle rounds run in them, especially without pressuring up.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Christensen Arms, 28 Nosler rifles [Re: ChadTRG42] #8952935 11/10/23 08:18 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Lol Judd I read that as post oak speed.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Christensen Arms, 28 Nosler rifles [Re: ChadTRG42] #8952941 11/10/23 08:28 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
eeks333

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Christensen Arms, 28 Nosler rifles [Re: ChadTRG42] #8952968 11/10/23 09:49 PM
A
Archer Anthony Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
This is my 28 Nosler he is speaking of above. All I can say is how thankful I am that I found Chad. He provides great customer service. My gun will now hold groups which it wouldn't do before.

Re: Christensen Arms, 28 Nosler rifles [Re: ChadTRG42] #8953097 11/11/23 01:47 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Another reason I would never buy one

Anybody around here long and still buyin one, idk what to tell ya

Re: Christensen Arms, 28 Nosler rifles [Re: Judd] #8953405 11/11/23 08:32 PM
B
BarneyWho Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Judd
We've known they don't have the best engineers on staff since they put the double ejectors on. I helped load dev on one that would push a 195 very accurately but only at 2850fps without needing a hammer to open the bolt. Why would someone buy a top fuel dragster and run it at prostock speeds? That was the last Christensen rifle I ever recommended anyone buying.

That sure makes guys like you have issues trying to make rifle rounds run in them, especially without pressuring up.

2850 is being generous to that rifle. I think it was more in the 2700 area. bang

Much different than the custom I built when I sold it pushing the same 195s @ 3300fps! grin

Re: Christensen Arms, 28 Nosler rifles [Re: Archer Anthony] #8954298 11/13/23 03:56 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Archer Anthony
This is my 28 Nosler he is speaking of above. All I can say is how thankful I am that I found Chad. He provides great customer service. My gun will now hold groups which it wouldn't do before.

Really good to hear!!!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Christensen Arms, 28 Nosler rifles [Re: ChadTRG42] #8954891 11/13/23 11:56 PM
N
nesikabay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Over the many years of loading 28 Nosler ammo, I've had the most problems with ONE brand of rifle, you guessed it, Christensen Arms!

I have a local shooter having some chambering and accuracy issues (with factory ammo) with a 28 Nosler Christensen Arms Ridgeline (carbon fiber) rifle. So, I ask him to bring it to me so I can take some measurements of the chamber and throat. Right away I chamber an empty piece of new ADG brass and I can tell there is some resistance when I close the bolt. Next, I move on to the bullet seating to seat the bullet to his rifles' throat. Immediately I can tell it's a very short throat. I keep seating bullets deeper and deeper, and finally find where a 180 VLD is just barely touching the rifling. It's at .150" shorter!!! That's one hundred and fifty thousandths shorter than a standard SAAMI 28 Nosler chamber! (see picture below). In the world of gunsmithing, .150" might as well be a mile long on the throat length.

The other main difference is Christensen Arms runs a dual ejector plunger on the bolt face. Instead of one ejector plunger found on almost all bolt guns, they run two. Having 2, means there is less surface area on the bolt face, and increases the pressure on the bolt face during firing.

While I'm loading his ammo, I get Christensen Arms on the phone. I speak to a really nice guy at Christensen Arms and asked him all these questions. He confirms that Christensen Arms uses a "match" chamber for all their carbon fiber rifles. I asked him why. He says it's for their 1 moa "accuracy guarantee" (which I then had a hard chuckle, see back story below). I inform him about the chambering and short throat issues, and he says that's just how they chamber their rifles. bang bang bang bang bang

Why is this important? Running a "match" or tight chamber does several things. When head spacing (chambering) the round, it is .007" shorter than SAAMI spec. The difference between min and max head space is .007" on the 28 Nolser. So they run the shoulder of the round is .007" shorter than SAAMI, which is as small as you can go. This is why some brass chambers tight. The next thing is the .150" shorter throat. Having a shorter throat requires seating the bullet much deeper to get it off the lands, or so it won't jam into the rifling. Next is PRESSURE!!!! This combination of shorter throat and min spec chamber raises your pressure dramatically. Let's say you put 80 grains of powder with a 180 grain bullet seated at normal SAAMI length. When you try to chamber this round, the bullet will jam into the rifling (raising pressure). And the powder charge is based off of a regular chamber. So when you fire this round, you will get excessive pressure or a hot load. To load the ammo for these rifles, you have to seat the bullet deeper AND reduce the load to avoid excessive pressure. All the while you are reducing the velocity of a magnum round. And, if you shoot this rifle suppressed, you will increase the bolt pressure even more. So in combination of short throat, min spec chamber, and if you shoot suppressed, you have a triple whammy of major pressure problems!

A little back story. Over the many years of testing rifles and doing load development, I shoot many good rifles, and see many problem rifles. One was a very expensive Christensen Arms 338 Lapua Mag. My customer had spent a total of $8K on rifle, scope, and full set up. It was an expensive rifle that wouldn't shoot. Every group we shot strung the group diagonally from about 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock in a straight line. We sent it back to Christensen Arms, and then we got the rifle back. They included an electronic target that shot a .98" group. And you guessed it, the group strung diagonally exactly like what I was seeing. I tested it again with no improvement in groups. I ended up speaking to an executive and the tech who shot the rifle. They ended up shooting 30+ rounds of ammo, 3 different ammo brands, and finally waited 5-10 minutes between shots to get their 3 shot, .98" group and 1 moa "Accuracy guarantee". I was livid! And they wouldn't fix it.

Anyways, that's my 2cents

[Linked Image]

I know you know what your doing. But it has to piss you off when a suppose to be accurate rifle builder tries to [censored] YOU. Back when we used to shoot together is was not like this. Now days all you need is a backer and a fancy name to sell guns. I think between me and you we forgot more than most builders. Keep up the work and post Chad.

Last edited by nesikabay; 11/13/23 11:57 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide