Print Thread
Standby Hunting #8946956 10/31/23 04:38 PM
M
Mistereeee Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
For those of you that have hunted standby, any tips to choosing when/where to show up? Or is it just plain luck of the draw?

I'm currently considering options anywhere within an hour or so of Austin, going through the list of those I wasn't drawn for. I'm going through last years statistics and see several places adding extra compartments the day of the hunt when the weather was good.

This is of course assuming I don't magically draw something on the last draw of the year Thursday. roflmao

Last edited by Mistereeee; 10/31/23 04:39 PM.
Re: Standby Hunting [Re: Mistereeee] #8947027 10/31/23 06:30 PM
S
salth2o Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Show up when/where they say. Getting there early doesn't improve your odds. They usually put the cards in a bucket and just draw them out.

Now...I went to a hunt as a standy hopeful a few years ago along with 140 others. We all put our names on cards and they were deposited into a 5 gallon bucket. One fella appeared to know all the people running the hunt as he called them by first name and they did him as well. He talked to them most of the time prior to the draw and as "luck" would have it, his card was drawn. The others who were drawn were really excited as this was a highly sought after hunt. His reaction was like he already knew. Seemed fishy.

Re: Standby Hunting [Re: salth2o] #8947052 10/31/23 07:05 PM
M
Mistereeee Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted by salth2o
Show up when/where they say. Getting there early doesn't improve your odds. They usually put the cards in a bucket and just draw them out.

Now...I went to a hunt as a standy hopeful a few years ago along with 140 others. We all put our names on cards and they were deposited into a 5 gallon bucket. One fella appeared to know all the people running the hunt as he called them by first name and they did him as well. He talked to them most of the time prior to the draw and as "luck" would have it, his card was drawn. The others who were drawn were really excited as this was a highly sought after hunt. His reaction was like he already knew. Seemed fishy.

I imagine that's the case in more than a few places, who you know and all that. I'm going over the statistics for how many standbys are allowed vs something that won't require a ton of driving.

Re: Standby Hunting [Re: Mistereeee] #8947777 11/01/23 07:40 PM
M
Mr T Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
look at previous years statistics and choose the hunts with the highest odds of getting drawn. Not all hunts have standby positions available and some that do, like javelina, have better than 50% of being drawn in the past.
others like either sex deer at The Chap have standby odds better than the general draw, but still 1% or so chance.
if you live near Austin, you have alot of standby options.

Re: Standby Hunting [Re: Mistereeee] #8947859 11/01/23 10:02 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I have been to 2 standbys and were picked for both.

The first one I was the only standby hunter so it was automatic but the second one they did place about 30 names in a bucket and luckily I was the last one drawn.

I will go on 2 or 3 standbys again this year to the same place. 1 of the hunts I go to nobody shows up for so I love it and will keep going as much as I can. Sorry I will not reveal that hunt. I want it all to myself. The hunters rarely show up to this hunt because it is a tough hunt. I killed animals both times and Ive got it figured out. Cant wait to go again this year. This is a very busy hunting season for me. I was drawn for 4 hunts and I am for sure going to another 2 or 3 standby's. Gotta make hay while the sun is shining!!!

GO TRUMP!
Re: Standby Hunting [Re: Mr T] #8948272 11/02/23 02:53 PM
M
Mistereeee Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted by Mr T
look at previous years statistics and choose the hunts with the highest odds of getting drawn. Not all hunts have standby positions available and some that do, like javelina, have better than 50% of being drawn in the past.
others like either sex deer at The Chap have standby odds better than the general draw, but still 1% or so chance.
if you live near Austin, you have alot of standby options.

Yeah, looks like there's a couple nearby that choose almost all the standby hunters that showed up, so I'll be headed to one of those for sure.

Re: Standby Hunting [Re: Bigfoot] #8948273 11/02/23 02:57 PM
M
Mistereeee Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
I have been to 2 standbys and were picked for both.

The first one I was the only standby hunter so it was automatic but the second one they did place about 30 names in a bucket and luckily I was the last one drawn.

I will go on 2 or 3 standbys again this year to the same place. 1 of the hunts I go to nobody shows up for so I love it and will keep going as much as I can. Sorry I will not reveal that hunt. I want it all to myself. The hunters rarely show up to this hunt because it is a tough hunt. I killed animals both times and Ive got it figured out. Cant wait to go again this year. This is a very busy hunting season for me. I was drawn for 4 hunts and I am for sure going to another 2 or 3 standby's. Gotta make hay while the sun is shining!!!

I have so many questions, but I'll respect the desire to keep the hunt to yourself!

Re: Standby Hunting [Re: Mistereeee] #8948320 11/02/23 04:34 PM
D
DRUNK Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Any hunter that knows their stuff isn't going to tell you about easy standby opportunities. Just like we don't share our public duck hunting spots.

Re: Standby Hunting [Re: DRUNK] #8948386 11/02/23 05:52 PM
M
Mistereeee Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted by DRUNK
Any hunter that knows their stuff isn't going to tell you about easy standby opportunities. Just like we don't share our public duck hunting spots.

Oh for sure. Was only asking in the most general sense.

It's a moot point anyways... I drew two hunts today!

Re: Standby Hunting [Re: Mistereeee] #8950182 11/06/23 02:44 AM
T
tkuehn5410 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Contact the hunt coordinator before standing by. Every place does draws differently. Some might say show up when you have the hunt/safety meeting, and others might use a lottery type system from a computer.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide