Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8949859 11/05/23 04:34 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
There is only so many hours in a day and days in the week, if sports are taking up the majority of their time, it certainly affects their ability to participate in other hobbies they enjoy. My oldest son decided to play travel ball last summer, so while me and his younger brother were at the lake fishing, he was living out of hotels playing 3 games a day in the blazing hot sun. His choice, but he burned out and now he doesn’t want to play ball in college. To me, it seems like a lot of wasted years where he could have been doing something else that would have made him more well rounded. I doubt he will look back and fondly remember any particular game. Still, we let him decide to do what he wanted to do (within reason) and the choices and consequences were his to own.

Sports have very good aspects, I just think that a lot of it is overdone volume wise…it’s a money maker and coaches and teams have been able to con parents into thinking their kid is gonna be the next Mike Trout or Derek Jeter. My neighbor told me last week he thinks his son has the talent to play at the D1 level….the kid is 6 years old.

Good discussion to have and I do think they just have different hobbies and interests than I did. My senior year of high school all I cared about was hunting, fishing, partying and trucks. These kids are more into sports, video games and light socializing. They do party but nothing like we did. They care nothing at all about trucks and don’t know the difference between a V-8 and a V-6. They are good kids and get great grades in school, which I was neither at that age.

Growing up in a rural area has no bearing at all on whether or not a kid is gonna be into hunting. A lot of my buddies grew up on property and very few still hunt. Both my cousins grew up on a ranch and neither of them hunt, one will if it’s easily available but years would pass between him coming down to the ranch to hunt. Most of the guys who grew up on property ended up moving to town and got a 9-5 job. They didn’t want to be on the ranch anymore.

If a person lives in a very urban environment I can see there being a barrier to entry but not to middle and upper class suburban folks. Remember, they are the ones who lease the rural guys land and own hunting ranches for their own use.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Kids these days… [Re: GasGuzzler] #8949861 11/05/23 04:35 PM
S
SapperTitan Online Content
Taking Requests
Online Content
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
My opinion is in many instances travel ball is more about parents hoping their kids become what they are not than kids taking their game to the next level.

My experience as well.

League ball is a complete waste of time and effort for any athlete that has talent these days. No challenge at all and most those kids don’t want to be there. It’s sad bc I enjoyed league ball growing up.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: SapperTitan] #8949864 11/05/23 04:39 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
My opinion is in many instances travel ball is more about parents hoping their kids become what they are not than kids taking their game to the next level.

My experience as well.

League ball is a complete waste of time and effort for any athlete that has talent these days. No challenge at all and most those kids don’t want to be there. It’s sad bc I enjoyed league ball growing up.

100% true. Little league there is no talent or competition and not much better at the Freshman and JV high school level we played at. To get good games against skilled players you have to go to a select league.

My issue with it having teams drive from all over the country to play on some privately owned sports complex where there is 40 other teams playing….every single week from Friday to Sunday. Some of his games this summer started on Wednesday. It was ridiculous.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8949892 11/05/23 05:19 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
mine is still exited about hunting, We are in the blind now. Hope she never changes, but if she does, she does. I try not to pressure her. I let her bring her electronics if she wants.

She has been working on me recently about going on a bear hunt. If her grades continue I think ill take her.

I feel fortunate she loves it, I dont think it’s some thing you can force or foster. Just have to be supportive and consistent.

I feel the same way. I want my kids to be into hunting and I want to hunt with them but if they don’t want to do it I don’t intend to pressure them to. Hope it pans out.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8949909 11/05/23 06:02 PM
HuntFish512 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Its not all kids, but I think honestly its a lot of them these days.

my daughter lost intrest in hunting before ever pulling the trigger on an animal, and sadly a year after our place to hunt was gone. Since then ive only been bird hunting and on a veteran hunt with my Dad. Never could justify getting another lease for just me too much cost involved.
Now my wife enjoys hunting too and wants too but the cost of entry is just too high these past few seasos.

If you ever want a hunting buddy let me know!

Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8949967 11/05/23 08:36 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by SapperTitan

My experience as well.

100% true. Little league there is no talent or competition and not much better at the Freshman and JV high school level we played at. To get good games against skilled players you have to go to a select league.

My issue with it having teams drive from all over the country to play on some privately owned sports complex where there is 40 other teams playing….every single week from Friday to Sunday. Some of his games this summer started on Wednesday. It was ridiculous.

You miss my point. After my son’s senior year of high school he was playing in an area all star baseball game down in Houston. Kevin Sumlin came and sat down next to me. D-1 Football coach. He told me he was there was looking for athletes with a high ceiling. Travel ball does not change athletic ability.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 11/05/23 08:58 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8949974 11/05/23 08:49 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Agree 100% Smokey, travel ball does not change athletic ability. There are a lot of kids starting on travel teams that will not start on their varsity Baseball teams

At the end of the day; my post was really nothing more than being upset that my kids don’t have the same passions that I do. And that is ok, that is my issue, not theirs. I love them dearly and they are all good kids, which is really all I could ask for.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8949994 11/05/23 09:34 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Meh, I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself bud. I bet they’ll come around later, and if they don’t at least they’ll still have a good Dad in their lives. My oldest daughter (now 23) used to be my hunting buddy like her 3 siblings still are, but she’s pretty much lost interest now. All she wants to do is go out with her friends and party these days. Like I told her, I’m not gonna beg you to go. They either want to or they don’t.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8950093 11/06/23 12:01 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
TT85:
My son was all about hunting and fishing until high school. He then got deep into basketball and they played in leagues/school year around. During that time, he lost interest in hunting and fishing and I was every bit as disappointed as you are. When he was in college, his interest in hunting and fishing came back and it's done nothing but increase since then. He has accomplished more in the way of hunting than I ever have at this point. Don't lose hope yet.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8950096 11/06/23 12:08 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I'm sure this won't be popular, but these select leagues, travel ball, showcases, Perfect Game, etc are really good at separating parents from their hard earned money. The vast majority of these kids won't play beyond high school, or if they do it will be at a very low level. Most of them are wasting their time. My buddy who I played minor league ball with, and scouted for the Giants for 30 years will tell you the same thing.

I'm betting your son will come back around like Grizz's example. My son did the same thing and he loves it now more than ever. Good luck.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: Jgraider] #8950122 11/06/23 01:03 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Jgraider
I'm sure this won't be popular, but these select leagues, travel ball, showcases, Perfect Game, etc are really good at separating parents from their hard earned money. The vast majority of these kids won't play beyond high school, or if they do it will be at a very low level. Most of them are wasting their time. My buddy who I played minor league ball with, and scouted for the Giants for 30 years will tell you the same thing.

I'm betting your son will come back around like Grizz's example. My son did the same thing and he loves it now more than ever. Good luck.

No it’s not popular, but it’s 100% the truth

Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8950136 11/06/23 01:29 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
One daughter had a team mate on her high school basketball team who's mother obsessively kept the girl's "stats" every game. Her and her husband were emphatic that the girl was going to play for Stanford and they were going to move to California simply for the girl. She didn't get into Stanford. Some parents are nutz.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8950297 11/06/23 12:37 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

its one of the most brilliant business models out there. parents ego’s for cash

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Kids these days… [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8950304 11/06/23 12:47 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

its one of the most brilliant business models out there. parents ego’s for cash

On a smaller, and some would say "nerdier", scale is the Drum and Bugle Corps. racket for band kids. Similar business model, travel, expense for parents, nobody attending the performances except the parents. Used to be the flags in a marching band were kids that played an instrument that was hard to march with, e.g. oboe, etc. Then those kids didn't want to just stand there, so they started doing routines, usually organized by one of the kids with the band director's approval. Then people started being hired to "choreograph" the flags, usually some young guy that...was a little light in his loafers. I left teaching and this all morphed into a summer business that, I think, is still going strong. Silly. Give a few trumpet players the chance to blast their guts out, have them bring along their friends. I don't blame some band directors for capitalizing on it. They aren't paid squat by the schools. The kids do get into it, but...it's not the road to being a real musician.

Last edited by Creekrunner; 11/06/23 12:50 PM.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8950310 11/06/23 12:54 PM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Last year I assisted with a guided hunt with the TYHP (Texas Youth Hunting Program) and loved it. This year I became a certified Huntmaster for the program. Most of the kids that were involved on the hunt I assisted with were from areas such as Houston, Dallas, Beaumont, or other large cities. Surprisingly the parents of these kids had never hunted or only when they were young. For the most part, they had nowhere to take them or didn't know how to find a place to hunt. I would set in the stand with the child and parent to make sure all safety precautions were taken and to ensure the right deer was killed. This was probably the best hunt, aside from taking my son, I had ever been on. The kids were excited and some of the parents apprehensive but open minded. After the kids make a kill, they bring the deer back to camp and with the help of the parent, process the deer. If the parents don't know how to do that then I will assist them with it. When I see kids who enjoy the hunting/camping experience and the camaraderie that comes with it, it gives me hope that our sport we love so much won't be lost.
There are other factors at play that affect our sport. One aspect is having access to hunting areas whether it's a lease, family land, or public land. I've seen where kids have shot the "wrong" buck such as one that is too young and get chastised for having done so, even though it's there first deer. This is enough to turn young people away from hunting, sometimes for good. Shake their hand, pat'em on the back and say dang good deer for a first. Access to public land, especially out west is getting more difficult by the year. Where once, you could get OTC tags now requires multiple years in most cases of putting in for draws. We all know times have changed and we have to change with them to ensure our sport doesn't fade away.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: copperhead] #8950322 11/06/23 01:06 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by copperhead
Last year I assisted with a guided hunt with the TYHP (Texas Youth Hunting Program) and loved it. This year I became a certified Huntmaster for the program. Most of the kids that were involved on the hunt I assisted with were from areas such as Houston, Dallas, Beaumont, or other large cities. Surprisingly the parents of these kids had never hunted or only when they were young. For the most part, they had nowhere to take them or didn't know how to find a place to hunt. I would set in the stand with the child and parent to make sure all safety precautions were taken and to ensure the right deer was killed. This was probably the best hunt, aside from taking my son, I had ever been on. The kids were excited and some of the parents apprehensive but open minded. After the kids make a kill, they bring the deer back to camp and with the help of the parent, process the deer. If the parents don't know how to do that then I will assist them with it. When I see kids who enjoy the hunting/camping experience and the camaraderie that comes with it, it gives me hope that our sport we love so much won't be lost.
There are other factors at play that affect our sport. One aspect is having access to hunting areas whether it's a lease, family land, or public land. I've seen where kids have shot the "wrong" buck such as one that is too young and get chastised for having done so, even though it's there first deer. This is enough to turn young people away from hunting, sometimes for good. Shake their hand, pat'em on the back and say dang good deer for a first. Access to public land, especially out west is getting more difficult by the year. Where once, you could get OTC tags now requires multiple years in most cases of putting in for draws. We all know times have changed and we have to change with them to ensure our sport doesn't fade away.

Excellent post. And thanks for guiding on the youth hunt. Fantastic way to serve. up

Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8950607 11/06/23 08:18 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
I have been working with youth from 12-18 through church for most of my adult life, 25 years plus. Years ago youth had to go somewhere to be together and then participate in an activity at said location in order to interact with one another. They looked forward to being together and outdoor activities, especially things like week long back packing trips were looked forward to and then documented with cameras and film and then cherished and talked about for years. News of a great adventured travelled slow and depending on the story teller got grander and grander with each telling.

Things as we all know, have slowly evolved...Now the same age youth no longer have to go anywhere to spend time together. They are constantly spending time together virtually and are constantly trying to document things, pictures, stunts, even provocative photos of themselves to try to draw attention and get clicks or likes. It is like a drug in that there is a need for a constant increase in stimulation in order to get the same high you got from your first "like".(there is a great and scary book called glow kids if you are interested in what is going on) Hunting and outdoors are not so mainstream and cool anymore despite the efforts of companies like meat eater, pretty libral but like guns and wild meat. Kroger or HEB is where meat comes from, duh. My guess is most folks under 35-40 or so (I am 53) are a lot less likely to spend quality time outside of the city limits. My kids 31 and 26 and their spouses are mostly that way except for the occasional hunting or fishing trip with dad. Killing a big deer or catching a big fish does not get you the clicks that a cool tic toc stunt get you so it is "boring". Things have changed, youth have changed, I fish and hunt by myself a lot now days...

Re: Kids these days… [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8950633 11/06/23 08:57 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
Just a product of their environment. I bet most of the kids who live out where ya'll go just every few weekends play sports and still want to go hunt and be outdoors.

Kids who have a 4wheeler and .22 right out their backdoor they can go jump on anytime vs kids who have nothing but video games and a subdivision pool

My Nephew is in high school plays football and still hunts 24/7, even runs a trap line in the off-season. Let's just say he doesn't have neighbors 20' from his backdoor.... roflmao

i dont think it has todo with location. I grew up a large part of my youth essentially unsupervised on 100 plus sections. Me and my cousins all hunted , infact lost our 22’s to the GW at age 10 do to a difference in opinion on legal duck and pheasant limits and seasons. Long story short, Im only one out of 6 that hunts any more. It either resonates or it doesnt.

Really? Pick ANY community up in the Panhandle. Do you think the percentage of 16-18 yo's that hunt/enjoy outdoors is the same as it is in Grapevine?

Im in Colleyville.

With that said to answer your question No but the percentage of those that grew up hunting and dont hunt any more is exponentially higher around my ranch then colleyville, and I would suspect its that way for most rural communities. Ones here in Colleyville that that grew up hunting still hunt alot, including a bunch that got into it later in life. Its also a very different means

Just because you live in the panhandle or any where rural doesn’t mean you actually have hunting access either. I image very few rural counties in Texas have more resident hunters then non resident hunters.

I grew up in Throckmorton County and graduated with 21 other students, including 13 boys. Of the boys, six of us hunted/trapped and the other seven didn't. At that time getting access to hunt was very easy but some of those guys just didn't have any interest in it.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: Jgraider] #8950635 11/06/23 09:00 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

Truth.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: Creekrunner] #8950672 11/06/23 10:00 PM
M
Mistereeee Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I was obsessed with it, that is, until the hormones started to kick in. muyloco

So many factors have come into play on these kids since then I can't even begin to count. Hell, I've got grown-azz men in my family that don't realize the opportunity they have, for free, I don't even have to be involved, that I would have killed for.

If I had a place to go nearby, I'd be there every weekend! I am super grateful for the places I do go, but they can be a bit of a drive, so requires more of a time investment.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: BassBuster1] #8950708 11/06/23 10:51 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BassBuster1
My guess is most folks under 35-40 or so (I am 53) are a lot less likely to spend quality time outside of the city limits.

I'm hosting an Adult Learn to Hunt hunt, through the TWA this coming weekend. 5 adults + guides, cook, etcetera. I think 3 of them are ladies. My first time and I believe it's a relatively new program at TWA. The young man running it seems impressive, Phd, etc. We'll see. I'm looking forward to learning about what motivated these folks to look into it.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: Creekrunner] #8950793 11/07/23 01:36 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by BassBuster1
My guess is most folks under 35-40 or so (I am 53) are a lot less likely to spend quality time outside of the city limits.

I'm hosting an Adult Learn to Hunt hunt, through the TWA this coming weekend. 5 adults + guides, cook, etcetera. I think 3 of them are ladies. My first time and I believe it's a relatively new program at TWA. The young man running it seems impressive, Phd, etc. We'll see. I'm looking forward to learning about what motivated these folks to look into it.

ol creek tripled down on the TWA program. Seriously huge hat tip.

Time me to up my donations.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Kids these days… [Re: Choctaw] #8950805 11/07/23 01:44 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Choctaw

I grew up in Throckmorton County and graduated with 21 other students, including 13 boys. Of the boys, six of us hunted/trapped and the other seven didn't. At that time getting access to hunt was very easy but some of those guys just didn't have any interest in it.

when we moved off the ranch my class was 8, think they are up to 16-20 now. Access was completely different 40 years ago then now. We were a posted state back then, hunting leases didnt exist around us.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8950879 11/07/23 05:02 AM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
There is only so many hours in a day and days in the week, if sports are taking up the majority of their time, it certainly affects their ability to participate in other hobbies they enjoy. My oldest son decided to play travel ball last summer, so while me and his younger brother were at the lake fishing, he was living out of hotels playing 3 games a day in the blazing hot sun. His choice, but he burned out and now he doesn’t want to play ball in college. To me, it seems like a lot of wasted years where he could have been doing something else that would have made him more well rounded. I doubt he will look back and fondly remember any particular game. Still, we let him decide to do what he wanted to do (within reason) and the choices and consequences were his to own.

Sports have very good aspects, I just think that a lot of it is overdone volume wise…it’s a money maker and coaches and teams have been able to con parents into thinking their kid is gonna be the next Mike Trout or Derek Jeter. My neighbor told me last week he thinks his son has the talent to play at the D1 level….the kid is 6 years old.

Good discussion to have and I do think they just have different hobbies and interests than I did. My senior year of high school all I cared about was hunting, fishing, partying and trucks. These kids are more into sports, video games and light socializing. They do party but nothing like we did. They care nothing at all about trucks and don’t know the difference between a V-8 and a V-6. They are good kids and get great grades in school, which I was neither at that age.

Growing up in a rural area has no bearing at all on whether or not a kid is gonna be into hunting. A lot of my buddies grew up on property and very few still hunt. Both my cousins grew up on a ranch and neither of them hunt, one will if it’s easily available but years would pass between him coming down to the ranch to hunt. Most of the guys who grew up on property ended up moving to town and got a 9-5 job. They didn’t want to be on the ranch anymore.

If a person lives in a very urban environment I can see there being a barrier to entry but not to middle and upper class suburban folks. Remember, they are the ones who lease the rural guys land and own hunting ranches for their own use.

I'd say take a little white and reflect on where you are at, what you are seeking, and what you want for your kids. To be honest, it sounds like you're trying to make them be you instead of letting them be themselves. From your first post, it doesn't sound like they are freeloaders -- they aren't putting in the work, but they also aren't trying to get out to hunt every weekend. We all want things to enjoy with our kids, we want to see them be successful, and sometimes we want those things to intersect. At the end of the day, we should want our kids to be happy, more "successful" than we are, and continue to pass that desire along for when they have kids. Success looks different for each person, and it also changes with each season of life. It doesn't have to be money, things, specific experiences, etc., but instead it's what God puts in our life at that moment for a reason.

Enjoy the experiences with them, soak them up...they are way more important than your wants, wishes, or desires. I took a break from hunting when my dad passed almost 20 years ago, and then I got into bird hunting (something my dad wasn't really into). I'm now back hunting everything, and I often think back to the times with him. It's not about the number of times, the game we were chasing, or if we were successful or not; it was the bond and time that we had together.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8950892 11/07/23 08:56 AM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
We grew up hunting the hill country. Back then anything with a horn on its head you wouldn’t hesitate to shoot.
My two brothers and a cousin couldn’t wait until opening morning, there was no sleeping the night before.
I take all my grandkids hunting now, the girls are into it pretty good until they become teenagers, and now have practically given it up.
The two oldest grandsons are into it pretty good, the oldest one bow hunts only now, and is into bass fishing big time.
The passion isn’t there for them like it was us , especially when it comes to getting work done.
The oldest grandson will not shoot a young buck, there’s antler restrictions on two of my properties and no restrictions in Coleman County, he will not shoot a buck there unless it’s mature, he passed on a lot of deer there and hasn’t taken one in Coleman County yet.
I ask 5 grandkids if they wanted to go with me opening weekend, only one went with me, another hunted somewhere else, the other three didn’t hunt.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide