Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8948932 11/03/23 04:16 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
All yall with these 30-50 doe tags, hook a brother up. Good lord that's a lot of meat

Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8948987 11/03/23 06:10 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
All those years and dollars wasted on biologists, seminars, and feed/food plots when we had Texas Dan here all along, giving us the real business on how to grow trophy bucks.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8949802 11/05/23 02:14 PM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
When I bought my place in Leon county in 2016 there was a fair amount of deer, they opened the doe season up more and our population has cratered.
150 acres next to me has eight hunters on it, fifty acres has five hunters on it, and they all shoot does.
We haven’t taken one doe since I bought it and the population continues to crash.
I hunted with the grandkids all weekend and saw one little four point no does.
Common sense has to come into play here or our population will continue to decline.
I’m tired of paying biologist to destroy our deer herd.

Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: Texas452] #8949815 11/05/23 02:38 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Texas452
When I bought my place in Leon county in 2016 there was a fair amount of deer, they opened the doe season up more and our population has cratered.
150 acres next to me has eight hunters on it, fifty acres has five hunters on it, and they all shoot does.
We haven’t taken one doe since I bought it and the population continues to crash.
Common sense has to come into play here or our population will continue to decline.

Provide better food sources and you'll have deer, especially later on in the season.

Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: Jgraider] #8949923 11/05/23 06:25 PM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Jgraider

Provide better food sources and you'll have deer, especially later on in the season.

We provide plenty of food plus all the natural food, there has to be deer for them to be there.
Deer make tracks, in places where they traveled in years past was trampled with deer tracks, now hardly any.

Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: Texas452] #8949924 11/05/23 06:31 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Sorry to hear that, but it sounds to me like a situs issue….it’s a local situation that may not be a county wide issue. 5 miles away they could be overrun with does.

Have you tried speaking to the neighbors?

Call the county biologist and get his take on the issue as well and ask what he is seeing county wide?

Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: txtrophy85] #8949948 11/05/23 08:02 PM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Sorry to hear that, but it sounds to me like a situs issue….it’s a local situation that may not be a county wide issue. 5 miles away they could be overrun with does.

Have you tried speaking to the neighbors?

Call the county biologist and get his take on the issue as well and ask what he is seeing county wide?

I agree totally, there were lots of deer there before they opened the doe season for two weeks, I have talked to landowners and biologists, biologists is a waist of time, I told him the same thing about deer densities, and about small places with unlimited doe harvesting, and that’s why a permit system would work better a lot better.
We don’t over harvest at all, we have taken a spike buck the last two years and nothing yet this year, two of my neighbors don’t hunt much at all, it’s the small place to the south of us that does most of the shooting, it’s so aggravating, we see nice young bucks every year, most not legal and they just disappear, why they shoot these young bucks I cannot figure out, this is supposed to be there last year hunting that place because of the lack of deer.
People are so brainwashed about shooting does to the point where they destroy their hunting, just watch hunting shows that suppose to have top nox management practices and they have a lot of deer bucks and does.
I let the grandkids do the shooting but I do like to go out and set , it’s aggravating not being able to see deer.
I have seen and let walk some really nice bucks over the years.

Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8949976 11/05/23 08:56 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
There is a happy medium. I hunted south of you in Walker county during the late 90’s and early 2000’s. We had two farms we leased. One was loaded with deer and we would see prolly 15 does to every buck. We needed to thin some does there.

The other farm was mostly old growth pine and didn’t hold many deer. A open general doe season there would have decimated the population, as the local hunters would have shot them if they were legal, at the time I know we would have.

Hopefully they get off and the landowner decides not to lease or sells to someone who cares more about the wildlife population.

Deer managment is not a one size fits all, it’s very property specific. Everyone wants to be ( or thinks they are) a wildlife manager; they hear about these large south Texas ranches doing large scale doe culls every year and think they need to do the same on their 40 acre farm in east Texas. And that is not always the case.

Group of guys up the road from me leased a couple hundred acres, nice guys, mainly bowhunters. They always talked about how they never shot trophies, just culls and does. It was a common sight though to drive past their camp and a yearling buck would be hanging from the skinning rack.

Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8949989 11/05/23 09:26 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Another way to understand your doe numbers for places like ours where does are rarely at feeders due to pressure from bucks. The most visible deer in your herd is a 1,5 year old buck. Take the number of 1.5 year old bucks, multiply it by two to account for doe fawns, and divide by fawn mortality. For example, last year we saw 25 1.5 year old bucks, so that means there were 50 total fawns from that age class, divided by a 0.4 fawn mortality and you get 125 total does.

Obviously there are some other variable such as 1.5YO mortality but overtime you can use that estimate to get a good understanding of your doe herd.

Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: ntxtrapper] #8950019 11/05/23 10:09 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
IMO, carrying capacity is the most overused and overhyped term used in the deer hunting community throughout the South. Simply put, our winter months are just not as brutal as what you find in areas where carrying capacity is far more applicable. If you want deer with bigger antlers, stop pounding does so hard and focus more on 1) better harvest decisions on bucks 2) habitat improvements 3) make use of deer sanctuary areas, and 4) offer supplemental food sources. As studies have shown, reproduction rates will adjust themselves relative to levels of available browse.

Tell me you’ve never managed a property without telling me you’ve never managed a property.

This is probably one of the most inaccurate things ever written on this forum.

There is a strong chance the good Lord will consider walking back his promise not to flood the earth again after he reads your post

Not long ago, He trolled parents for bragging about their kids deer that the kids shot from a box blind.

He is just here to troll

He also advised against ever having a loaded firearm in a vehicle. Somehow every police officer in the country manages to do this every day,

Along with MANY civilians like myself. Good ol' TCD.

Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: txtrophy85] #8950021 11/05/23 10:10 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
All those years and dollars wasted on biologists, seminars, and feed/food plots when we had Texas Dan here all along, giving us the real business on how to grow trophy bucks.

Nailed it. up

Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: Double AC] #8950343 11/06/23 01:46 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Double AC
Another way to understand your doe numbers for places like ours where does are rarely at feeders due to pressure from bucks. The most visible deer in your herd is a 1,5 year old buck. Take the number of 1.5 year old bucks, multiply it by two to account for doe fawns, and divide by fawn mortality. For example, last year we saw 25 1.5 year old bucks, so that means there were 50 total fawns from that age class, divided by a 0.4 fawn mortality and you get 125 total does.

Obviously there are some other variable such as 1.5YO mortality but overtime you can use that estimate to get a good understanding of your doe herd.

I think your math double-counts mortality; 50 fawns would be the offspring of 25 does. If your fawn survival rate is 40%, then your total births would be 125, which would be 63 does (not accounting for singles).

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8950503 11/06/23 05:22 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
My understanding of fawn mortality is the numerator of surviving fawns over total does. In this case you could have a number over 1 if more of your twins survive. So 50 fawns off of 25 does would be 200%. Not sure if that is the right or official way to do that but it works for our numbers as year in and year out we consistently have around 25 1.5 year olds, 60-80 total unique bucks, and a 2:1 doe ratio which aligns to that 125 number.

Re: Harvesting antlerless deer [Re: Texas Dan] #8950507 11/06/23 05:23 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Maybe fawn recruitment is a better word. I’m not a math guy

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide