Forums46
Topics538,628
Posts9,739,298
Members87,098
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8939810 10/20/23 01:40 PM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
3500 a gun plus if good place.

Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8939868 10/20/23 02:55 PM
C
CGB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted by Stompy
Originally Posted by OleTomTalker
I'm curious, what would a ranch like this be worth for leasing.
640 acres with about 4 ponds.
3 guns max
Year round
Great location with lots of cover, mixed Oak and Mesquite on the whole ranch.
Great elevation with hills and decent roads
Small cabin and one RV hookup with water, electricity and sewer.
Cabin is off the ranch about 1.5 miles away on another property.

What's y'all's best guess on price?

Also, need to know location. Pretty big factor. If you are within decent distance of Victoria, I am interested. Looking with some other dads for family friendly place. People that you will never have issues with and will always correct or work with you on any issues or mistakes that come up. List of references of character a mile long.
Greg

This particular place is on the Stephens-Shackleford county line, totally in Stephens county. There are some quirks to the cabin. There will be 2 months the cabin can't be used due to dove hunters using it. That is the first 8 weeks of dove season. The cabin is free for rifle deer season, the remaining year the cabin will cost $50 a night. All of this is per owner. Looks like I have the opportunity to pick this place up. Just seeing if it's worth it.

Not worth what the land owner will end up get for it. There's some really desperate people out there that will pay but those are also the ones you're going to have issues with. The dove hunting and cabin situation would be a deal breaker for me no matter the cost.

Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8939872 10/20/23 03:04 PM
S
Stompy Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The dove hunting is not on the 640, it's on other property he owns. A person can still come to the 640, just can't use the cabin till late October. Just to be clear

It's not for lease, yet. Just trying to gauge It's worth.

Last edited by Stompy; 10/20/23 03:05 PM.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8939879 10/20/23 03:12 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
The dove hunting is not on the 640, it's on other property he owns. A person can still come to the 640, just can't use the cabin till late October. Just to be clear

3000-5000 per gun, depending on game quality, etc..

Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8939897 10/20/23 03:29 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
I have been looking for a lease for 3 years now. I don't mind driving up to 7-8 hours if lodging is available on property on property. Everywhere I find is a place with 20-30 people already on it. I don't really want any part in that. I'd prefer small group, as I'm by myself, and not somewhere it's a shoot all deer place.

Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: txtrophy85] #8939898 10/20/23 03:31 PM
F
Fltmedic Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
[quote=txtrophy85]I leased a small place outside of Bandera about 7 years ago. Guy had kicked his previous hunters off due to them being trashy. Beer cans laying outside the blinds, all kinds of debris, he finally had enough. I hunted there for a few years before I found a place that was better suited, I offered to transition the lease to a friend of mine but he was not interested in leasing to anyone else.

Got a place outside of Medina the same way, previous hunters got drunk and wrecked a jeep that caught fire on his place. Kept cabin a mess with trash everywhere. We ended up getting on it and cleaned up but owners sons health who managed property changed so they decided to sell. It was hard leaving that ranch.

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8939905 10/20/23 03:37 PM
C
CGB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I say $3,500 per gun is a fair price. Maybe more depending on what the hunting was like. If It has good deer and turkey numbers. And a pretty good chance at taking 3 mature deer a year its worth it.

I'm paying $20 an acre for places in Throckmorton with that.

Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8939908 10/20/23 03:39 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We lost a Sisterdale lease for a few years. Lots of cash was offered up front and it became Capital Aggregates' "B" client deer lease. They screwed it up good; live-in cook shooting stuff across the neighbor's fence, etc. They did put on a bathroom, complete with shower, on the cabin though. banana2 We were asked back and, although I got off, the main group stayed on until it sold just a few years ago. 3200 acres...for $17M.

'Last lease I was on, the cabin (but not our particular pasture) was leased by a wire-line company that went belly up. Lots of cool stuff they bought on the expense account and just left. up I think the LO got lots of trail cameras and plastic "Blynds" out of the deal.

Last edited by Creekrunner; 10/20/23 03:40 PM.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8939911 10/20/23 03:46 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Was there ever a consensus on here as to which "lease finder" website/subscription service was the least out-of-date, convoluted mess? I found one mule deer place many years ago on one, but it was a PITA until I tripped across that one listing. Even though I've kept in touch with the guy, he's not leasing any more.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8939927 10/20/23 04:12 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Stompy, the sky is the limit with the way things are going these days. Someone desperate for a lease that has the coin will scoop that place up for stupid (to me) kind of money. For me, it is likely out of my price point (or should I say my wife's) plus a pretty good drive compared to hunters from the DFW area. I would say $3-5k per hunter depending on quality of deer for that area.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Creekrunner] #8939932 10/20/23 04:29 PM
C
CGB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Was there ever a consensus on here as to which "lease finder" website/subscription service was the least out-of-date, convoluted mess? I found one mule deer place many years ago on one, but it was a PITA until I tripped across that one listing. Even though I've kept in touch with the guy, he's not leasing any more.

I'm not in the market for a lease and haven't been for a while, but I still like to look to see what's out there. I saw some good places on Facebook this year but you really have to dig to find them. Most of the time it was an individual looking to add a few people to their lease. There's always a few good ones on craigslist too but there's a bunch of junk on there also. I don't think the "lease finder" sites are very good anymore unless you're looking for a corporate lease or guided weekend hunt.

Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8939937 10/20/23 04:36 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
We’re going to be looking for something a little closer to home. The ranches I hunt now are 5-6hr stretches one way, which is rough for a weekend run.

Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Creekrunner] #8940030 10/20/23 07:50 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Ive always spoke highly of leasehunter.com and I know tlk has too. I used to follow it alot and it seemed by far the best one. No one on here usually disagreed on that.
However, it’s been a few years so I don’t know if it’s changed or not.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: DQ Kid] #8940038 10/20/23 08:08 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DQ Kid

3000-5000 per gun, depending on game quality, etc..

this, Id probably discount if it was one family that took all
spots.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8940146 10/20/23 10:09 PM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I may actually be looking for a unicorn.

My main goal is a place to hunt and putting some
venison in the freezer so there is no expectation
of trophies and I am perfectly fine watching
anything walk on by that isn’t within agreed on limits.

Year around access would be nice but not a deal breaker.
A campsite would be great but if not, again, not a deal breaker.
Joining an existing group would be good. If agreement on what
can be taken is different that would be fine though depending on
this I would think a difference in fee could also be agreed on.

Respect for the land and people are priorities with me as well as the
maintenance, cleanliness and prompt attention to the responsibilities
involved in being a leasee. Game laws and camp rules are to be followed,
not bent or challenged. I’m in Collin county (life long resident)
but do not mind driving at all.

Not sure if the intent of this thread is just out of curiosity
or a way to possibly help people get together. Either way
this is the basics for me.

Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: PKnTX] #8940151 10/20/23 10:20 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by PKnTX
I may actually be looking for a unicorn.

My main goal is a place to hunt and putting some
venison in the freezer so there is no expectation
of trophies and I am perfectly fine watching
anything walk on by that isn’t within agreed on limits.

Year around access would be nice but not a deal breaker.
A campsite would be great but if not, again, not a deal breaker.
Joining an existing group would be good. If agreement on what
can be taken is different that would be fine though depending on
this I would think a difference in fee could also be agreed on.

Respect for the land and people are priorities with me as well as the
maintenance, cleanliness and prompt attention to the responsibilities
involved in being a leasee. Game laws and camp rules are to be followed,
not bent or challenged. I’m in Collin county (life long resident)
but do not mind driving at all.

Not sure if the intent of this thread is just out of curiosity
or a way to possibly help people get together. Either way
this is the basics for me.

Doesn’t seem like a unicorn. Your expectations aren’t that high.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8940405 10/21/23 05:04 AM
D
deer chaser Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I will be looking next year
im on a really good place in Childress now, but the guy that runs it is a real JERK.( lease manager not LO)
he tells everyone the rules/expectations but those change every year to benefit him.
Just tried of the BS, i pay good money because i enjoy being out in the woods, Not for the Drama

Life is short play hard and never give up.
Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8940493 10/21/23 02:14 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I would love to have one but I only want to shoot a couple of does every year for meat and I am simply not going to pay the asking prices for a lease to shoot does. I can get them on day hunts, public land or run up to either CO or WY for a lot less than a lease. Bucks of any size hold no interest for me.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Who's Going To Be Looking For A Lease Next Year [Re: Stompy] #8941390 10/22/23 10:07 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have been blessed to be on the same ranch/lease for 15 years. We have 10 hunters on 9000 acres. It is not inexpensive but what is now days ?? It is a year round passion/experience that I (and others) get to enjoy so for us it is worth the cost.

All community blinds. We spend a lot of time vetting any new members to do our best to find the right fit. We have a list of rules but they are all common sense rules and they are enforced (the "I paid my money so I will do whatever I want hunter" is not for us). Those guys will get you run off a LO's property quickly. You bring drama to the place and you will not be there long - we have no problem excusing a member if needed.

We communicate a lot with the LO and try to treat their ranch the way we would treat our own property. Close gates, don't leave trash in the blinds, let LO know when we will be on the property, tell the LO if a deer is wounded, etc. Just simple respect.

Our members also are very open about sharing pictures and videos knowing that if a member has seen a good buck no other member is going to try to "move in" while he is hunting that deer. Once he gives up the blind then the deer is back on the kill list for any member. (we pull all cameras at the start of the season so to keep it fair chase).

There is no perfect lease and ours is not - but we work our butts off to try to bring the deer and ranch to the fullest potential. There is no doubt finding a good lease takes alot of work and effort. But if and when you find one it is gold. Good luck to all.

You can't fix stupid
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide