Re: Homework? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8933352 10/11/23 02:29 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
This thread is sad and also an indication of the nation at large.

Sad that a pre-K kid has homework…that’s just plain weird to me and i think most people….i wouldnt even call a kid in pre-K a student…they are just herding kittens at that age.

The other part…no expectation of homework is just an example of what the US education system has allowed. We dont challenge people to be better. We are complacent to be just good enough and largely teach to the more stupid side rather than the gifted side. We would rather make expectations so low so no one feels left out than reward great intellect by challenging smart gifted students.

India and china individually both have more gifted students than we do students period. Its no wonder our colleges are filled with foreigners. The US has effectively dumbed down our education system to the lowest denominator, and our next several generations will pay the price.

Rant over…

Fully agree.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Homework? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8933363 10/11/23 02:34 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
The only homework I ever had was when I was 13, my smoking hot 40 year old female teacher would come over and have sex with me. When I was 14, I got tired of her and dumped her for her two twin 20 year old daughters who were also teachers. That was after I climbed Mount Everest backwards but before I killed Hitler who was actually hiding out in a 10 mile deep cave. Fortunately, I can see thermal images with only my eyes.

sadly this is more believable than many stories on here

rofl

roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: Homework? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8933370 10/11/23 02:37 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Sad that a pre-K kid has homework…that’s just plain weird to me and i think most people….i wouldnt even call a kid in pre-K a student…they are just herding kittens at that age.

The other part…no expectation of homework is just an example of what the US education system has allowed. We dont challenge people to be better. We are complacent to be just good enough and largely teach to the more stupid side rather than the gifted side. We would rather make expectations so low so no one feels left out than reward great intellect by challenging smart gifted students.

India and china individually both have more gifted students than we do students period. Its no wonder our colleges are filled with foreigners. The US has effectively dumbed down our education system to the lowest denominator, and our next several generations will pay the price.

Rant over…

As long as education and homework doesn’t interfere with sports practice we are good to go. Make sure there is enough Brawndo as it has electrolytes.

To be determined
Re: Homework? [Re: BigPig] #8933410 10/11/23 03:52 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Yea Colt had homework in PreK too. He has a lot of homework in kindergarten, we don’t mind it and like working with him on his sight words, numbers, and letters. Can’t wait for him to start reading to me instead of me reading to him.

[Linked Image]

Re: Homework? [Re: kry226] #8933411 10/11/23 03:53 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by kry226
The only homework I ever had was when I was 13, my smoking hot 40 year old female teacher would come over and have sex with me. When I was 14, I got tired of her and dumped her for her two twin 20 year old daughters who were also teachers. That was after I climbed Mount Everest backwards but before I killed Hitler who was actually hiding out in a 10 mile deep cave. Fortunately, I can see thermal images with only my eyes.

sadly this is more believable than many stories on here

rofl

roflmao

Funniest chit I’ve read on here in a while.

[Linked Image]

Re: Homework? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8933418 10/11/23 04:16 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Rant over…

Agreed.

I can see the occasional take home project for preschool. Besides being helpful for kids to reinforce what they learned, or force them to think creatively outside the classroom, it can be a way to encourage parents to be involved in their kids learning. If it is consistent homework, I think that is excessive at that age.

As far as other subjects and older kids, unfortunately during class time there may not be enough time to teach a lesson, and then have the kid complete an assignment to help them convert it to memory or fully understand the concepts without homework. My kids go to a university model school, so they always have homework.

Re: Homework? [Re: BigPig] #8933426 10/11/23 04:35 AM
W
WT_Foxtrot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Four years old? Hell, no. BUT with a four year old, I suggest you get an account set up at Michael's and Hobby Lobby because you (and I mean YOU) will have quite a few projects to work on in the upcoming years. I speak from experience.

Re: Homework? [Re: BigPig] #8933427 10/11/23 04:37 AM
B
BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
We had more homework last week that I wasn’t aware of. No idea what else he will have this week. I don’t ask, teacher doesn’t tell us.

I firmly believe our education in America is lacking, and has been for a long time. You force teachers to take low salary, but their students have to pass a state test and if they don’t, that reflects negatively on the teacher. They have to teach to a test, that may or may not be appropriate for every single school or school district.

We most likely will have him in private school when he starts kindergarten next year. They teach based on Indiana’s requirements I believe, so no teaching for a specific annual test.

What has killed our education system is liberals that bow down to whoever’s feelings got hurt instead of standing up for raising our children correctly. Bring back the Bible, and the pledge of allegiance in schools.

Re: Homework? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8933428 10/11/23 04:37 AM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
This is why America is so far behind academically....... no homework no expectations

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Homework? [Re: WT_Foxtrot] #8933429 10/11/23 04:38 AM
B
BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by WT_Foxtrot
Four years old? Hell, no. BUT with a four year old, I suggest you get an account set up at Michael's and Hobby Lobby because you (and I mean YOU) will have quite a few projects to work on in the upcoming years. I speak from experience.

Lol. Do their stocks pay dividends? scratch

Re: Homework? [Re: BigPig] #8933431 10/11/23 04:49 AM
W
WT_Foxtrot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by WT_Foxtrot

Lol. Do their stocks pay dividends? scratch

Lol....not a chance. Only the other way for construction paper, hot glue, and all manner of figurines. wink

Re: Homework? [Re: NORML as can be] #8933460 10/11/23 10:15 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Originally Posted by txmudder
Elementary school should be no homework. Kids need time to be kids.

This, and when they get to Collage they should be all about learning all they can and leave the game playing behind in Highschool.

[Linked Image]

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Homework? [Re: BigPig] #8933466 10/11/23 10:44 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I love how there's an opinion on education in this topic with the word "college" misspelled.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Homework? [Re: BigPig] #8933470 10/11/23 11:07 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
The old story is that teachers work 9 months but have to live 12. The counter argument is that they have to take stuff home to grade tests, etc. Agreed but, in the corporate world I very often had to stay late, work from home after regular working hours, come in on Saturday, etc. And, I was salaried so no OT pay.

I personally believe that cops, firemen, military, etc ought to get hazardous duty pay.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Homework? [Re: BigPig] #8933534 10/11/23 12:58 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Homework is for repetition in the learning of new things. The learning takes place in the classroom but there still needs to be repetition to be mastered. When I taught I exposed my students to new material at least five times before I tested them on it and yes homework was part of those times. I also included old material on new test objectives to reinforce the old learning.

How well did you do the first time you shot a gun or bow. How well do you do it now?

Remember the first deer you tried to field dress? Some still can't do this one.

How did your venison taste the first time you cooked it? Bet it tastes better now.

How about the first time you tried to use a hammer to drive a nail and hit your fingers? Do you hit your fingers today. Some will and I am guilty on this one.

Repetition is part of learning and to me homework is part of repetition.

Re: Homework? [Re: txtrophy85] #8933575 10/11/23 01:51 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Homework is just the indoctrination that you should not only work during your scheduled time on the job, but also take it home with you and work more for free.

Put me in this camp.

Pre-K? That's an utter joke and I'd make it known.

Preparation and studying should not be confused with homework. Homework is a time suck.

Re: Homework? [Re: spacejunkie] #8933587 10/11/23 02:01 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by spacejunkie

How well did you do the first time you shot a gun or bow. How well do you do it now?

Remember the first deer you tried to field dress? Some still can't do this one.

How did your venison taste the first time you cooked it? Bet it tastes better now.

How about the first time you tried to use a hammer to drive a nail and hit your fingers? Do you hit your fingers today. Some will and I am guilty on this one.

That might apply outside but the THF OTers were all born with these skills maximized at 100%.

To be determined
Re: Homework? [Re: BigPig] #8933597 10/11/23 02:15 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Don’t have any issues with homework, within reason. Teaches responsibility, something ALL kids need regardless how good a parent you think you are

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Homework? [Re: BigPig] #8933625 10/11/23 02:52 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Trapper wind this one. On to the next one..

Re: Homework? [Re: BigPig] #8933627 10/11/23 02:56 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Is this public school pre-k, or private day care with a pre-k label? I'm curious if this something the State of Texas Public Education is doing. Either way, it's too young.

But, it's coming for him in later grades. A lot of people can get through public school never doing homework. Top % graduates do homework, and a lot of it.

College is at least 50% "homework". Learning how to do homework when you get to college is a little late. A typical semester for me was 15 hours, five classes with three tests each class per semester. The test covered the lectures and assigned readings. The tests most often all came the same week. One week of tests over five subjects covering roughly the previous months material. If you want him to go to college, you need to get behind the teacher on the homework issue at some point.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Homework? [Re: Stub] #8933667 10/11/23 03:42 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Originally Posted by txmudder
Elementary school should be no homework. Kids need time to be kids.

This, and when they get to Collage they should be all about learning all they can and leave the game playing behind in Highschool.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Homework? [Re: BigPig] #8933671 10/11/23 03:49 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Not like he's bringing home Trig homework. I can see the +/- or homework, a bit harder for a pre k though. G-son is starting a new school also 4 and pre k, same as yours bp, he will have light amounts of homework, but explained to my daughter for the more positive things as listed in the article below. It's not like they get held back for it

https://www.readingrockets.org/topi...-what-research-says-about-value-homework

Last edited by Western; 10/11/23 03:54 PM.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Homework? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8933680 10/11/23 03:55 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Is this public school pre-k, or private day care with a pre-k label? I'm curious if this something the State of Texas Public Education is doing. Either way, it's too young.

But, it's coming for him in later grades. A lot of people can get through public school never doing homework. Top % graduates do homework, and a lot of it.

College is at least 50% "homework". Learning how to do homework when you get to college is a little late. A typical semester for me was 15 hours, five classes with three tests each class per semester. The test covered the lectures and assigned readings. The tests most often all came the same week. One week of tests over five subjects covering roughly the previous months material. If you want him to go to college, you need to get behind the teacher on the homework issue at some point.

Mine was public school pre-k at Whitesboro ISD. He is now in Kindergarten in S&S, much smaller school and we're liking it a lot more.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide